2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TOP!

And because I couldn't pick between both...

PvN1Craig.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to be paying attention first. I was too busy reading about my apparent death in that lounge game. Alas...

OMG that looks amazing, vc....when school's back in session, let's totally hit it up, k? I'll be in Peru for a few weeks (Lamay Clinic Project 4tw)! See you on the flip side, pps.

BTW, vc7^4, I get to see SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE STARS and omg I am STOKED!!

ZOMG! SAFE TRIP! When I was on the Galapagos Islands many moons ago, the stars were ridiculuous! Enjoy

Sent from my Andriod phone using Tapatalk

Cool!

Well, best of luck, Namer.

Myuu...
How-to-Make-Pho.jpg

We are making a pho run tonight at 6:30. Fluffyrabbit and I and maybe other CCLCM folks are going Superior.
Berries lovez pho :love: I also love sriracha :love::love:

OK I have somewhat of a vain question for the CP folks. I've become quite attached to my Mac over the past 4 years to the point that Windows really puts a bad taste in my mouth. Is it possible to get by with a Mac in the CP or do you really need to just use the PC they issue you?

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere - I searched in last year's thread and couldn't find anything.

OK I have somewhat of a vain question for the CP folks. I've become quite attached to my Mac over the past 4 years to the point that Windows really puts a bad taste in my mouth. Is it possible to get by with a Mac in the CP or do you really need to just use the PC they issue you?

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere - I searched in last year's thread and couldn't find anything.

I borrowed my classmate's PC this past week. Not a big deal at all because she rarely uses it. During the first year she loved her Mac.

There are a couple of key times where using a PC is useful - such as uploading and reviewing your html version of the portfolio. At the end of the year, you produce a portfolio that is made available with all of your references hyperlinked in. (mine had over 80 piece of evidence to support my assertions that I was worthy of promotion to 2nd year). This is because the format supported is the Microsoft html "standard" .mht files - aka the actual standard .htm or .html plus crap Microsoft added to make it incompatible with the actual standard. :p

Other than that, 1st and 2nd years make weekly presentations that are provided to all classmates many of whom do NOT have Macs. If you decide to use a non-PC format or unconventional format (such as Prezi - which I love) - you should be prepared to either convert or provide the information in a PC-friendly format to others. Furthermore, you should be capable of connecting your Mac via a standard VGA connector to the AV system of our PBL rooms as needed.

Other than these two minor caveats, it isn't an issue.

EDIT: for the record, I use an iMac at home, and a PC laptop at school

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On a related note:

I am officially a Second Year!

Auriga, I will post my own monkeys, knowing you would have provided them, if you were around (I assume you are en route or preoccupied with your trip!):

CONGRATS! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, I :love::love::love::love::love:Prezi!

CONGRATS! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also, I :love::love::love::love::love:Prezi!

Yeah, Prezi is a great multi-platform means of presentation. Way more engaging than powerpoint, which I suppose is moot, since we don't use powerpoints (that would be super-bad) in IQ.

I have a challenge for the CCLCM students, can anyone tell me the age of the oldest person offered an acceptance there?

Hmmm...accepted? I don't think many would be privy to that information. :shrug:

However, a current (new) 5th year was significantly older than me when he started. Throw in a bunch of PhDs and second career students, etc. and I think we can demonstrate that strong candidates of any age have a shot.

Hmmm...accepted? I don't think many would be privy to that information. :shrug:

However, a current (new) 5th year was significantly older than me when he started. Throw in a bunch of PhDs and second career students, etc. and I think we can demonstrate that strong candidates of any age have a shot.

Thanks, I certainly wouldn't let age stop me from applying as interested in this school as I am. I was just curious, since I might have an opp. to do something else cool before I apply.

Thanks, I certainly wouldn't let age stop me from applying as interested in this school as I am. I was just curious, since I might have an opp. to do something else cool before I apply.

Hmmm...well, how old would you be if this 'opportunity' came to fruition? I see you don't want to say what it is....:shifty:

I'm a Canadian applicant this year and was sort of wondering what it takes as a Canadian to get into a fine school like CWRU. I don't want to ask for specifics unless you feel they would be fine giving the out, but I was wondering if their stats/ecs/research were the absolute cream of the crop or equivalent to the average matriculant. Thanks

Hmmm...well, how old would you be if this 'opportunity' came to fruition? I see you don't want to say what it is....:shifty:

Actually I seem to be on the "young" side of non-trad. If my opps came to fruition probably apply at 33-34 yrs, and yes opp shall remain nameless at this point :ninja: . I was just curious because the local small class size med school where I am admits older students, but seems to only admit one of each gender at 30+. So I wondered if CCLCM did something similar due to small class sizes or just whoever seemed most qualified regardless of age. Seems to be the latter from what I've gathered. Since it is my favorite school by far at this point, I like those odds a bit better :)

Last edited:
Actually I seem to be on the "young" side of non-trad. If my opps came to fruition probably apply at 33-34 yrs, and yes opp shall remain nameless at this point :ninja: . I was just curious because the local small class size med school where I am admits older students, but seems to only admit one of each gender at 30+. So I wondered if CCLCM did something similar due to small class sizes or just whoever seemed most qualified regardless of age. Seems to be the latter from what I've gathered. Since it is my favorite school by far at this point, I like those odds a bit better :)
Wow...you are good at staying terribly mysterious, huh?

No, there is no AARP-related gender quota - here or anywhere else I have ever heard of.

And 34 is quite young, in my very biased opinion to start medical school. If you are thinking about going "non-trad" you should root around the non-trad subforum here on SDN. It is a high-yield source of information for wannabe nontrads. :)
Nontrad forums

Went out to Wade Lagoon today and ran into this ninja:
amD3

Went out to Wade Lagoon today and ran into this ninja:

[A TURTLE]

Ninja Turtle...Soup?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toiLy3R-38M&feature=channel_video_title[/YOUTUBE]

While I was staring at the turtle, I must've had 50 fish staring at me.:laugh:

Then, I spotted this guy:
amFZ

I had nooooo idea there was something bigger than a 5" minnow in the lagoon.:scared:

After reading this thread I wanna got to CCLCM or CWRU soooo bad. I think CCLCM just jumped to #1 on my list.

My friend, it is a bunch of Case students waiting to answer your every question.

what exactly are secondary and interviews based on? I see from the MSAR data the mean is 3.8/35, and I have nowhere near there. Totally wanna apply, but I'm trying to look at the realistic options... Completely interested and loving the school though :love:

Someone should point out that Myuu has diligently been compiling a FAQ of questions into post #1 for people to browse. I think this is a splendid idea! Yay Myuu!

Sent from my Andriod phone using Tapatalk
eek, i browsed, but i don't think my question is there. if it is, my bad!!!

eek, i browsed, but i don't think my question is there. if it is, my bad!!!
Ah!

I posted before I saw your post. That was NOT directed towards you. Rather it was a simple diversionary tactic to switch topics on the thread. Check the timestamps on both our posts too.

Besides, if I wanted you to check the FAQ, I would say:
Check the FAQ

So, MY bad. My very bad.

what exactly are secondary and interviews based on? I see from the MSAR data the mean is 3.8/35, and I have nowhere near there. Totally wanna apply, but I'm trying to look at the realistic options... Completely interested and loving the school though :love:

Apply because you love us. Tell us how you love us and how you will make our class more interesting. :D

It would be hard to do a 'WAMC for Case?' without some numbers. What is "nowhere near"? PM me if you are not comfortable with posting, but it is hard to say. :shrug:

Interesting people get into Case because they are interesting AND because we feel that they can succeed here. It is a tough question to answer - I think so many factors play into a "successful" application leading to an interview. As banal as it may sound: We have the essays on the secondary because we want to KNOW the responses. I mean, there were (are?) some schools without a secondary when I applied. These schools didn't want additional information before an interview decision was made. I mention this as proof that there is no requirement for schools to put essays on a secondary. So, our essays are there because we want to know the answers. They are important to the adcom, and I suggest you reply in a thoughtful and professional manner.

As for grades and MCAT scores, I can only give you anecdotal evidence from friends and myself. Averages are the average. What neither you nor I know is the standard deviation or other statistical methods of characterizing the cohort. This isn't Lake Woebegone, that I can tell you. We are not all above the average. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WAMC issues for Case are actually rather difficult to figure out. As vc7777 was pointing out, we love the interesting types who play well with others, but beyond that it's highly individualized. Rest assured that Case reads all of your application when making a decision on your file.:luck:

Someone should point out that Myuu has diligently been compiling a FAQ of questions into post #1 for people to browse. I think this is a splendid idea! Yay Myuu!

Myuu going above and beyond the call....AS USUAL!:laugh: Where did you get her anyway? Very helpful, really good stuff guys!

Oh and Myuu? Good job with the editing too.;) You're like the Swiss Army Knife of SDN!

Myuu going above and beyond the call....AS USUAL!:laugh: Where did you get her anyway? Very helpful, really good stuff guys!

Seconded. I can't believe you guys are convincing me to apply to school in Cleveland! :laugh: [Ducks]

But seriously, the post #1 compilation is great.

Do you guys know what Case and CCLCM policy is on AP Credits? I have AP credit for bio and chem. I've taken multiple advanced level bio courses, so from what I can figure out, schools will usually accept that for prereqs, but the only chem I've done other than the gen chem labs is a full year of orgo and a sem of biochem (if that counts).

Ah!

I posted before I saw your post. That was NOT directed towards you. Rather it was a simple diversionary tactic to switch topics on the thread. Check the timestamps on both our posts too.

Besides, if I wanted you to check the FAQ, I would say:
Check the FAQ

So, MY bad. My very bad.
no worries! I just thought it was my bad and I thought I missed something :D
Apply because you love us. Tell us how you love us and how you will make our class more interesting.

It would be hard to do a 'WAMC for Case?' without some numbers. What is "nowhere near"? PM me if you are not comfortable with posting, but it is hard to say.

Interesting people get into Case because they are interesting AND because we feel that they can succeed here. It is a tough question to answer - I think so many factors play into a "successful" application leading to an interview. As banal as it may sound: We have the essays on the secondary because we want to KNOW the responses. I mean, there were (are?) some schools without a secondary when I applied. These schools didn't want additional information before an interview decision was made. I mention this as proof that there is no requirement for schools to put essays on a secondary. So, our essays are there because we want to know the answers. They are important to the adcom, and I suggest you reply in a thoughtful and professional manner.

As for grades and MCAT scores, I can only give you anecdotal evidence from friends and myself. Averages are the average. What neither you nor I know is the standard deviation or other statistical methods of characterizing the cohort. This isn't Lake Woebegone, that I can tell you. We are not all above the average. :)
Hm, thank you for the response. I now realize why essays for the secondaries are a lot better than just forking over some cash; there is definitely more to me than my primary (even though I'm confident in my PS and can totally sell my activities). The whole approach of it being more than just numbers makes me love it more. I'm straddling the 3.5 line and am waiting on my MCAT score, but I definitely think I'm going to take a shot and apply, no matter what :) Here's to hoping for a secondary, and eventually an interview (I wanna try Cleavland pho:laugh:) :love::love::love:
WAMC issues for Case are actually rather difficult to figure out. As vc7777 was pointing out, we love the interesting types who play well with others, but beyond that it's highly individualized. Rest assured that Case reads all of your application when making a decision on your file
*sigh* I think I'm in love :love: okay, enough of the mush, but I'm definitely loving what I'm seeing :)

Thanks you two! you definitely do an amazing job selling the school (not that it needs any selling) :thumbup:

I can't believe you guys are convincing me to apply to school in Cleveland! :laugh: [Ducks]

As the song goes, "Cleveland rocks!" I've moved around quite a bit and for me, I could live just about anywhere, but it's the people you meet that can really make a place special.

Status
Not open for further replies.