2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:scared:
I go on Spring Break for one lousy week - not even - a weekEND...
and you guys put phnerd in charge?! :p Gimme back the conch shell...I'll take it from here. Sheesh.

I'll be back at the Clinic tomorrow, and I will look into all of this for you guys. Ok?

:oops: Sorry! I by no means meant to de-throne you. I would never think of such a blasphemous thing! It was just a thought that I had haha.

Are we going to have a Lord of the Flies-esque beatdown??? If so...phnerd I gotchu (Not that it would help much, but it is the thought that counts).

Thanks VC - the answer from admissions would clear a lot up :D

Thanks yo, I know you always have my back :D

Members don't see this ad.

If anybody is interested in going to an Iron Maiden concert in Detroit on July 12th, message me! It's only a little over 2 hours to drive. :thumbup:

:horns::nod::horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK...

There is now only a single "alternate" list. If you are not on this list - you will no longer be considered for acceptance to CCLMC. I haven't been able to get more info from the adcom - but this alternate list is the final list from which applicants will be accepted from this point forward. I have no more information than this. Sorry: :shrug:

OK...

There is now only a single "alternate" list. If you are not on this list - you will no longer be considered for acceptance to CCLMC. I haven't been able to get more info from the adcom - but this alternate list is the final list from which applicants will be accepted from this point forward. I have no more information than this. Sorry: :shrug:

So they just got rid of the High Hold list? Is the new alternate list ranked or are we all the same? Gahhhh only more confusion.

Last time I tried finding an apartment I nearly moved into East Cleveland (Lake Park Tower). I think I figured it out this time though. What do you all think about Integrity at Cleveland Heights? :-D It looks reasonable in many ways.

Deep breaths, in and out.You'll be fine. :)

I know :D - its just frustrating to have so many mixed communications. This is a school I really would like to attend, and the high hold list makes it seem if your chances aren't that bad; the alternate list letter is just bleak. I don't know why they would have a high hold just to get rid of a week later...

I know :D - its just frustrating to have so many mixed communications. This is a school I really would like to attend, and the high hold list makes it seem if your chances aren't that bad; the alternate list letter is just bleak. I don't know why they would have a high hold just to get rid of a week later...

I don't think there should be any confusion.

It seems very clear.

There is a waitlist. It's called an alternate list. If you're on it, you are among those who might be selected for acceptance at a later date.

There is nothing more to worry over. Worrying will just stress you out.

The fact that people are being notified in waves most likely reflects the admissions staff just working through the administration in getting back to us. But if not, then what will be will be.

My guess would be that the "high hold" email was just the first draft of a waitlist notification, which was changed during the next round of notificaitons to the the alternative list status update.

The alternative list status update is not bleak. It is very hopeful. I am very hopeful at least. Everyone just needs to calm down.

We're still in this thing! :xf:

OK...

Hey, thanks for checking on this for us VC. It's a stressful process and it's nice to have someone in our corner.

Hey, thanks for checking on this for us VC. It's a stressful process and it's nice to have someone in our corner.

+1 Thanks, VC! This is the most helpful thread of any which I am monitoring

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm on the alternate list as well. At least it sounds like I've got some good company! :)

I don't think there should be any confusion.

It seems very clear.

There is a waitlist. It's called an alternate list. If you're on it, you are among those who might be selected for acceptance at a later date.

There is nothing more to worry over. Worrying will just stress you out.

The fact that people are being notified in waves most likely reflects the admissions staff just working through the administration in getting back to us. But if not, then what will be will be.

My guess would be that the "high hold" email was just the first draft of a waitlist notification, which was changed during the next round of notificaitons to the the alternative list status update.

The alternative list status update is not bleak. It is very hopeful. I am very hopeful at least. Everyone just needs to calm down.

We're still in this thing! :xf:

Close, but no cigar. I called and confirmed - the high hold was for applicants they deemed to be better fits for the school or more along what they are looking for. Those applicants who got the high hold letter were sent that in earnest and not via some mistake or draft.

They recently changed it to combine both pools, making one list.

I take it you weren't on the high hold list? Because this

You have been placed on our "High Hold List". This list consists of highly qualified applicants, some of whom will be admitted as the application process unfolds. We try to keep our applicants fully informed about the admissions process, and we will inform you immediately when your admission status changes.
Your application and interview were very favorable. Some prior years we would be certain you would have received an offer by the end of the interview period based on your rating. You are within the top group for any openings that become available.

to
We have completed the final selection of students for the class entering in July 2012. We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anticipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation. The number of such changes is quite unpredictable so that we have no way of determining your chances of acceptance.

I don't know about you, but the first seemed more positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you, but the first seemed more positive.

I'm sure your rating hasn't changed no matter which group you were initially pooled in.

The same is true for all of us.

If you have information leading you to believe that you are desired more than others, then I must congratulate you.

Now there's even less reason to stress out.

So they just got rid of the High Hold list? Is the new alternate list ranked or are we all the same? Gahhhh only more confusion.

As vc7777 said, the high hold and hold lists are no longer present, there is now only an unranked alternate list.

As vc7777 said, the high hold and hold lists are no longer present, there is now only an unranked alternate list.

Why do you say it is unranked? VC didn't.

In fact, at our interview, we were specifically told the waitlist was ranked.

I'm sure your rating hasn't changed no matter which group you were initially pooled in.

The same is true for all of us.

If you have information leading you to believe that you are desired more than others, then I must congratulate you.

Now there's even less reason to stress out.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant the two letters were very differently worded. Sorry if it came off as that

It feels like the status updates are uploaded according to your priority (ranking)... Dunno how many ppl would withdraw in the end...

Why do you say it is unranked? VC didn't.

In fact, at our interview, we were specifically told the waitlist was ranked.

The hold lists WERE ranked - but I have no information that the alternate list is ranked. If I had to guess - just a guess - Fluffy is correct and that at this stage the alternate list is not ranked. Besides even if it is ranked; nobody knows their rank. :shrug:

It feels like the status updates are uploaded according to your priority (ranking)... Dunno how many ppl would withdraw in the end...
You may FEEL that way - but this is not true. Sorry.

Also, ending on a happy note for Cleveland:

www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2012/02/an_altruistic_kidney_donor.html

Maybe this will help solidify things. I called today and was told that in the past they have offered spots in the class regardless of high hold/hold designation. From what I gathered, they take a more holistic approach when pulling people off the alternate list at this stage in the game.

I don't think so. I've been waiting for days for an update and just found out I am on the alternate list tonight....None the less, hoping to see how far the alternate list goes.

What do you all think about Integrity at Cleveland Heights? :-D Any current students staying there or know anything about it?

I just got an update...alternate list!!!!........is there any way to find out where we stand on this list?

Vc7777. This is about the college program.

There is no ranking on the alternate list.

sent from my phone

Again, thanks so much for finding all this information for us VC. It's above and beyond the call of any other medical student of any other medical school.

I'm excited for April 15th to come round. :xf:

Vc7777. This is about the college program.

There is no ranking on the alternate list.

sent from my phone

Then how do they decide who gets accepted off the alternate list? It can't be random, can it?

Then how do they decide who gets accepted off the alternate list? It can't be random, can it?

EDIT: this is a post about the CP.

Maybe they try to accept people based on "niches" left behind by those who don't matriculate, which is why rankings wouldn't matter? I think sometimes other schools say something to the effect of "oh no, the Mandarin-speaking cellist didn't accept our offer, better get the Vietnamese-speaking bassoon player" etc. I have the feeling that CCLCM is less subject to things like this, but who knows?

So what's the next step for the people on hold at UP?

Regarding UP: According to last year's thread, people on hold were notified on 4/4 of rejection or alternate list status. I assume the date will be similar for us.

Hope this helps.

:xf:

Regarding UP: According to last year's thread, people on hold were notified on 4/4 of rejection or alternate list status. I assume the date will be similar for us.

Hope this helps.

:xf:

I'm so anxious to hear. I hope my letter of intent carries some weight :). Case is my dream school!

EDIT: this is a post about the CP.

Maybe they try to accept people based on "niches" left behind by those who don't matriculate, which is why rankings wouldn't matter? I think sometimes other schools say something to the effect of "oh no, the Mandarin-speaking cellist didn't accept our offer, better get the Vietnamese-speaking bassoon player" etc. I have the feeling that CCLCM is less subject to things like this, but who knows?

I heard that same story before. Except it was Swahili and a vuvuzuela. Or was it they spoke 1337 and played the euphonium?

Yes we are like that cover band, walk off the Earth here at CCLCM...looking for that one sketchy guy in a knit cap and full beard who can make that plinky noise on the top of the guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M :p
:shifty:

sent from my phone

I heard that same story before. Except it was Swahili and a vuvuzuela. Or was it they spoke 1337 and played the euphonium?

Yes we are like that cover band, walk off the Earth here at CCLCM...looking for that one sketchy guy in a knit cap and full beard who can make that plinky noise on the top of the guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M :p
:shifty:

sent from my phone

I would hope that any applicant with a penchant for the vuvuzela would get the instareject.:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

vuvuhaters.jpg

sent from my phone

Question for anybody that can provide some insight.

Will a Masters Degree in anatomy help me get into a great orthopedics residency (in addition to great board scores, ward scores, etc)? Just curious.

Thanks! :thumbup::D

An unranked alternate list only means that there is no strict hierarchical order, but it does not mean that everyone is exactly equal.

Last edited:
Question for anybody that can provide some insight.

Will a Masters Degree in anatomy help me get into a great orthopedics residency (in addition to great board scores, ward scores, etc)? Just curious.

Thanks! :thumbup::D

It will probably help a little, but not as much as one would think. Exactly how much depends on the specific PD. Since orthopedics is pretty competitive, you would still need all of that stuff you already mentioned. Personally, I don't think getting the degree for the sole purpose of residency applications would be worth it unless you were genuinely interested in learning even more about anatomy. But for a real answer you should probably go talk to the ortho people. :p

Is there any way to find out how many people are on the alternate list for CCLCM? Has anyone tried calling admissions and asking?

It will probably help a little, but not as much as one would think. Exactly how much depends on the specific PD. Since orthopedics is pretty competitive, you would still need all of that stuff you already mentioned. Personally, I don't think getting the degree for the sole purpose of residency applications would be worth it unless you were genuinely interested in learning even more about anatomy. But for a real answer you should probably go talk to the ortho people. :p

Thank you! I am certainly interested in learning more about anatomy, but I am more interested in preparing myself to get into a competitive ortho residency as early as possible. I realize I may change my mind while in medical school, but all indicators for me point towards ortho.

Also, what do you mean by PD? What is that referring to? Sorry if that is a silly question.

Thank you! I am certainly interested in learning more about anatomy, but I am more interested in preparing myself to get into a competitive ortho residency as early as possible. I realize I may change my mind while in medical school, but all indicators for me point towards ortho.

Also, what do you mean by PD? What is that referring to? Sorry if that is a silly question.

PD means Pizza Delivery where I work. In the medical world, though, I believe it means Program Director of the residency program.

Well, then you should work on your benchpressing. Some might argue it is as important as a masters.

Here's some research to consider:
http://ht[FONT=ArialOrthopaedic surgeons: as strong as an ox and almost twice as clever? Multicentre prospective comparative study.

And an older reference:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1838870/

:hungover:

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

That just made my night. Thank you. Those are absolutely hilarious. Also, my bench press has steadily been going up for the past few months. I'm good to go I think. :banana:

Hi everyone!

CP 1st year here. Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to everyone who's been accepted and Hang-in-there to everybody on the alternate list. I know this entire process can be supercrazystressful and generally awful. In this interest of your health and wellbeing, I would advise against doing silly things like spending 8 hours at home mapping out exactly when and how many people were offered spots off the alternate list from last year's SDN thread when you're supposed to be, I dunno, editing a grant proposal due tomorrow for your boss? Hypothetically speaking, of course. Magical things can come from waiting, like getting to hug Dean Franco for an inappropriate length of time because she could tell you the good news in person.

To those of you who have been accepted / are coming to second look, I also wanted to offer up a place to stay/advice while you're looking for a place to live here in the Cleve. I know that I drove down the morning of and back home the same day as second look and it didn't leave loads of time for apartment hunting. Plus, I was crazy stressed out finding a place when the desirability varies so much from block to block and I had no clue what was okay and what wasn't. (but to be very clear, I LOVE living in Cleveland, after living in many cities all around the world, this one is my genuine fav) So if you have any questions or need a place to crash while you're in town looking around, shoot me a message. If I don't respond fast enough tell VC and he'll yell at me :)

Good night and good luck!!

Well, then you should work on your benchpressing. Some might argue it is as important as a masters.

Here's some research to consider:
Orthopaedic surgeons: as strong as an ox and almost twice as clever? Multicentre prospective comparative study.

And an older reference:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1838870/

:hungover:

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

That just made my night. Thank you. Those are absolutely hilarious. Also, my bench press has steadily been going up for the past few months. I'm good to go I think. :banana:

It is said that to land a competitive program, your step 1 + bench press must be at least 400. Thus, to maximally gun for orthopedics, go to the gym during your study breaks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.