2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Straight to reject/waitlist, though there are rare exceptions.

How sad that they would keep us waiting all these months only to reject or waitlist us. I would think that decision could have been made awhile ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
How sad that they would keep us waiting all these months only to reject or waitlist us. I would think that decision could have been made awhile ago.

A great number of people come off of that waitlist. The wait is to get a picture of the applicant pool to determine who would best fit in with the environment here, for which you would need to see all of the interviewees. If you'd prefer to remove yourself from consideration to facilitate this process, I'm sure arrangements could be made.

Last edited:
a great number of people come off of that waitlist. The wait is to get a picture of the applicant pool to determine who would best fit in with the environment here, for which you would need to see all of the interviewees. If you'd prefer to remove yourself from consideration to facilitate this process, i'm sure arrangements could be made.

<3

I understand the point of wait listing a lot of people, but for those they're going to reject...what information do they really have that they didn't immediately after our interviews? I just feel like being put on hold then rejected would hurt more than being rejected outright. :(

I just hope I don't get rejected after sending in a love letter/letter of intent. Maybe I should write another one....

I'm looking forward to hearing back regardless though! Here's to hoping Case loves me as much as I love them :)

Anyone here going to UP Second Look?

I REALLY want to go, but it will cost me darn near $450 to fly out there, not to mention getting to Case from the airport. Plus, I would want to stay later and look at housing, which will only increase the bill. I already know that I'm going to Case, and there are other days where flights are half the price they are for that weekend. I may just fly out at a later/earlier date and do my exploring.

Do any current students know how accommodating the admissions office would be if I were to come at a later date and ask for a little tour from a current student or something just to refamiliarize myself with Case and get one-on-one time for questions? I know it would be asking a lot, since I don't think I can come to Second Look for financial reasons.

Living downtown is slightly more feasible if you're CP, but for UP that's a lovely 30 min drive you'll be doing daily.

I'm a second year UP and I've lived just west of downtown the whole time I've been here. The drive is not 30 min. With no traffic it takes me 12-15 min depending on lights and whether you take freeways or surface streets. Rush hour around the clinic and VA gets really crazy, so it can take 30 then. Lakewood is great- you can take the Shoreway the whole way and traffic is minimal...takes maybe 20-25 min.
Also, if you're used to speeding- Forget it. Everyone in Cleveland drives 5-10 under the limits. It's infuriating.

And there's of course, always public transit. If you live downtown, the train to case from downtown is a 13 min train ride. Trains leave every 20 min.

Also, I totally didn't realize I made my 3000th post in this thread. I hope it brings me some luck :xf: :laugh:

I think I've found a place on E. 121st street in Cleveland Heights. Does anybody know if that is a good area? Also I might have another prospect on Delaware Dr. Please let me know if anybody is familiar with those areas. I don't want to have to fly out to find an apartment; but I might have to. If anybody can give me some feedback about the area that I've mentioned that would be wonderful! :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to second look weekend too. Very excited! Has anyone gotten the email confirmation from Case yet? They said within 24 hours, but I haven't gotten anything yet and I registered yesterday morning.

I'm going to second look weekend too. Very excited! Has anyone gotten the email confirmation from Case yet? They said within 24 hours, but I haven't gotten anything yet and I registered yesterday morning.

I'm going to Second Look as well. I talked to Christian, and he said that because 120(!!) people registered yesterday, they are a bit behind getting the confirmation emails out. He said they should be sent out today, so contact him if you haven't heard by tomorrow. Hope that helps! :)

I just hope I don't get rejected after sending in a love letter/letter of intent. Maybe I should write another one....

Haha... thats exactly what I called mine when I was working on it, my "love letter" to Case! Good luck :luck:

And I hope everyone has a great time at second look. Ive heard amazing things - I remember Christian saying that he will be rocking out on the drums! Should be fun.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but this thread is very long!
When will the UP holds be updated to WL/rejections?

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but this thread is very long!
When will the UP holds be updated to WL/rejections?

End March/beginning of April. There's no set time, really.

I'm going to Second Look as well. I talked to Christian, and he said that because 120(!!) people registered yesterday, they are a bit behind getting the confirmation emails out. He said they should be sent out today, so contact him if you haven't heard by tomorrow. Hope that helps! :)

120! That's wonderful. Glad I was on top of it.

See you all there!

Do any current students know how accommodating the admissions office would be if I were to come at a later date and ask for a little tour from a current student or something just to refamiliarize myself with Case and get one-on-one time for questions? I know it would be asking a lot, since I don't think I can come to Second Look for financial reasons.
They probably would if you asked them to. For sure this is possible for CCLCM acceptees.

And there's of course, always public transit. If you live downtown, the train to case from downtown is a 13 min train ride. Trains leave every 20 min.
I was going to say, Health Line FTW. Super convenient, easy peasy. It's like $75 for a semester-long pass.

I think I've found a place on E. 121st street in Cleveland Heights. Does anybody know if that is a good area? Also I might have another prospect on Delaware Dr. Please let me know if anybody is familiar with those areas. I don't want to have to fly out to find an apartment; but I might have to. If anybody can give me some feedback about the area that I've mentioned that would be wonderful! :-D
I'm not familiar with those specific places, but don't sign anything without coming to see it first-hand. There are many things you can skimp on, but don't skimp on this. Either come to Cleveland and look at the apartments, or move there a few weeks early and spend a day or two looking before you rent somewhere. It's totally doable to find a place last minute, FWIW. I found my apartment in about half a day of looking ten days before school started.

Case Western vs. Dartmouth. Any opinions? :rolleyes:
No familiarity with Dartmouth, but your best bet is to go to both second looks so that you can compare and contrast. And you should change your status to pre-medical, because you aren't a medical student until you matriculate. ;)

Case Western vs. Dartmouth. Any opinions? :rolleyes:

From my stalking, it seems that you just got an interview invitation at Dartmouth, not an acceptance. If you're truly interested in the institution over Case, I would go to it. However, comparisons really shouldn't be made until you're accepted, since nothing is guaranteed. I'm totally biased though, and love Case, so I think you should stay here :)

No familiarity with Dartmouth, but your best bet is to go to both second looks so that you can compare and contrast. And you should change your status to pre-medical, because you aren't a medical student until you matriculate. ;)

I was going to say this as well.

Last edited:
They probably would if you asked them to. For sure this is possible for CCLCM acceptees.

I was going to say, Health Line FTW. Super convenient, easy peasy. It's like $75 for a semester-long pass.

I'm not familiar with those specific places, but don't sign anything without coming to see it first-hand. There are many things you can skimp on, but don't skimp on this. Either come to Cleveland and look at the apartments, or move there a few weeks early and spend a day or two looking before you rent somewhere. It's totally doable to find a place last minute, FWIW. I found my apartment in about half a day of looking ten days before school started.

Ooops. Got a little ahead of myself. :cool:

Thanks a bunch for the help though!

From my stalking, it seems that you just got an interview invitation at Dartmouth, not an acceptance. If you're truly interested in the institution over Case, I would go to it. However, comparisons really shouldn't be made until you're accepted, since nothing is guaranteed. I'm totally biased though, and love Case, so I think you should stay here :)

I was going to say this as well.

Hahaha yes. I am essentially wondering if coughing up a few hundred to go interview there this late is even worth my time. I am not going to do it. I am so beyond enamored with Case anyway. I was just curious what people's thoughts were.

Hahaha yes. I am essentially wondering if coughing up a few hundred to go interview there this late is even worth my time. I am not going to do it. I am so beyond enamored with Case anyway. I was just curious what people's thoughts were.

There ya go :). Excellent choice! :thumbup:

I'm a second year UP and I've lived just west of downtown the whole time I've been here. The drive is not 30 min. With no traffic it takes me 12-15 min depending on lights and whether you take freeways or surface streets. Rush hour around the clinic and VA gets really crazy, so it can take 30 then. Lakewood is great- you can take the Shoreway the whole way and traffic is minimal...takes maybe 20-25 min.
Also, if you're used to speeding- Forget it. Everyone in Cleveland drives 5-10 under the limits. It's infuriating.

True, I always drove to the Clinic at rush hour. As to the under-the-limit thing, it's been my experience that everyone drives 5 over the limit (except at rush hour), though night driving on chester and carnegie outside of Cleveland Heights will periodically see 10 over. The speed limits are, however, infuriatingly low.

Ok, my wife has a couple of friends near Cleveland in Podiatry school. We were thinking that one of them could go and check out the apartment for us instead of having us fly out there. We'll have to see some pictures and hopefully we get a strong review otherwise we'd probably decide to go and check it out ourselves. :-D Do you think this plan is sound or unwise?

Do you think there is any realistic chance that you might choose Dartmouth over Case? If there is, you should go on the interview. If not, then decline the interview and save your money. But don't be lazy and not go check out a school you think you might really like just to save a few hundred dollars, when you're going to be investing in an education that costs six figures.

I was a late interviewee at Case/CCLCM, and I almost didn't even come on these interviews because it was late January and I was tired of interviewing. I had also already been accepted to several schools that I really liked by that point. But I thought this school sounded good enough that I might seriously choose one of the Case programs over my then current top choice. So it made sense to go, and ultimately CCLCM did wind up being my top choice.

Ok, my wife has a couple of friends near Cleveland in Podiatry school. We were thinking that one of them could go and check out the apartment for us instead of having us fly out there. We'll have to see some pictures and hopefully we get a strong review otherwise we'd probably decide to go and check it out ourselves. :-D Do you think this plan is sound or unwise?
As long as you trust these people to make a good judgment call, I think it's fine to have someone else check it out. Just don't rent a place sight unseen. The worst slum in East Cleveland is going to look great when you read about it on the internet, you know what I mean? :hungover:

Do you think there is any realistic chance that you might choose Dartmouth over Case? If there is, you should go on the interview. If not, then decline the interview and save your money. But don't be lazy and not go check out a school you think you might really like just to save a few hundred dollars, when you're going to be investing in an education that costs six figures.

I was a late interviewee at Case/CCLCM, and I almost didn't even come on these interviews because it was late January and I was tired of interviewing. I had also already been accepted to several schools that I really liked by that point. But I thought this school sounded good enough that I might seriously choose one of the Case programs over my then current top choice. So it made sense to go, and ultimately CCLCM did wind up being my top choice.

Well, Case is better than Dartmouth hands down in my eyes. There are very few things that I could see myself liking more at Dartmouth. Beautiful scenery, a bit more rural (I've never liked big city life, and I want to practice in a relatively rural area in my career), and an average indebtness $20k-$25k less than there is at Case. However, Case just feels like such a good fit for me. My gut tells me to go with Case. Curriculum, people, location, research, bigger class size, training hospitals, etc makes me err very heavily towards Case, even if I am accepted to Dartmouth. I've always had a flare for prestige, and Dartmouth is an Ivy League school (albeit one of the lower ones medically speaking). Still, Case is better in that arena too.

Boom, decision made. :cool:

Thanks for your words of advice. I'm still pondering it, but I really don't think I'm going to do it.

True, I always drove to the Clinic at rush hour. As to the under-the-limit thing, it's been my experience that everyone drives 5 over the limit (except at rush hour), though night driving on chester and carnegie outside of Cleveland Heights will periodically see 10 over. The speed limits are, however, infuriatingly low.

I got a ticket on my way to the CCLCM interview....a month later in the mail!!! I was going 9 over and didn't know the speedlimit because I was following my GPS. They apparently have Speed Limit Camera's over there

I got a ticket on my way to the CCLCM interview....a month later in the mail!!! I was going 9 over and didn't know the speedlimit because I was following my GPS. They apparently have Speed Limit Camera's over there

yep there are camera's at a few intersections that catch you if you're speeding or going through red lights.

Well, Case is better than Dartmouth hands down in my eyes. There are very few things that I could see myself liking more at Dartmouth. Beautiful scenery, a bit more rural (I've never liked big city life, and I want to practice in a relatively rural area in my career), and an average indebtness $20k-$25k less than there is at Case. However, Case just feels like such a good fit for me. My gut tells me to go with Case. Curriculum, people, location, research, bigger class size, training hospitals, etc makes me err very heavily towards Case, even if I am accepted to Dartmouth. I've always had a flare for prestige, and Dartmouth is an Ivy League school (albeit one of the lower ones medically speaking). Still, Case is better in that arena too.

Boom, decision made. :cool:
Glad I could help. Also, FWIW, Cleveland is not by any stretch of the imagination a big city. If you want to live in a more rural area, that is totally possible, assuming you don't mind a bit more of a drive. It's easy to do that as an MS1-MS2, although you may want to move closer to the hospital once you start your third year because you'll be working much longer hours. I'm within walking distance of the hospital where I'm working as a resident, and it's a huge help in terms of saving time/gas money and keeping me off the roads when I know I'm too tired to drive. Not to mention that I get a little exercise at the same time. :p

Glad I could help. Also, FWIW, Cleveland is not by any stretch of the imagination a big city. If you want to live in a more rural area, that is totally possible, assuming you don't mind a bit more of a drive. It's easy to do that as an MS1-MS2, although you may want to move closer to the hospital once you start your third year because you'll be working much longer hours. I'm within walking distance of the hospital where I'm working as a resident, and it's a huge help in terms of saving time/gas money and keeping me off the roads when I know I'm too tired to drive. Not to mention that I get a little exercise at the same time. :p

That is one thing I love about Cleveland too. It's not a monster of a city like Chicago, etc. I don't want to live in a rural area during school (I don't have a significant other or children right now). I want to live absolutely as close to the school and/or training hospitals as humanly possible. The walking and biking will be excellent exercise! I want to avoid having to drive to school/rotations as much as possible too. A little efficiency a couple blocks from campus would be PERFECT for me. :D

That is one thing I love about Cleveland too. It's not a monster of a city like Chicago, etc. I don't want to live in a rural area during school (I don't have a significant other or children right now). I want to live absolutely as close to the school and/or training hospitals as humanly possible. The walking and biking will be excellent exercise! I want to avoid having to drive to school/rotations as much as possible too. A little efficiency a couple blocks from campus would be PERFECT for me. :D
If you like walking and biking, you should check out the Cleveland MetroParks, which is a system of parks that encircle the metro area. It's also called the Emerald Necklace for that reason. I would not have predicted that there would be so many nice parks in easy reach of Cleveland, but there are.

yep there are camera's at a few intersections that catch you if you're speeding or going through red lights.

It was no big deal. I just told the admissions office at CCLCM that I got a ticket and they should pay the fine or accept me, either one.

Still waiting on that response...

It was no big deal. I just told the admissions office at CCLCM that I got a ticket and they should pay the fine or accept me, either one.

Still waiting on that response...

Haha what a generous offer! Either pay for my tuition or a traffic ticket. I wouldn't want to put them in that situation ;)

US News clearly did not calculate my love for Case in their rankings this year.

Bump, haven't seen you all in a while!

tumblr_lxa2bbnLxd1qgxcfb.gif

US News clearly did not calculate my love for Case in their rankings this year.

Bump, haven't seen you all in a while!

I agree. It would have clearly been at #1 with both of our love included :D

This is my first SDN post! Kind of exciting.

I found today that I was placed on the alternate list for CCLCM - I was supposed to have gotten an email Feb 24 but I was out of the country and unable to check iapply until today. I love the CCLCM program and would give and arm and a leg (well just a leg so I can do surgery..) to go. I have already sent in my Letter of Intent.

For people who got invited to second look, did you get that invite when offered your spot or after you corresponded with the admissions office?

How many people are on the alt list? I'm trying to figure out my chances...

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. I'm freaking out :scared:

So, U.S. News think they can drop Case two spots in research rankings, do they? :mad:

Well, Case went WAY up in primary care which is great! I know many don't really put much stock into the U.S. News rankings, but overall I think Case improved this year. Anybody else have an opinion?

At least 5 on SDN alone last year, so I would double that (check out May 12ish in last years thread). However, last time that 2nd look was this popular was 2008 when they had almost zero waitlist movement until June esp. since they had overfilled the class.

I sincerely hope Im wrong, but I think its going to be a tough year for us "Hold"ers.

Last edited:
This is probably the wrong thread, but most of you who are applying might be able to help me out.

1. Does anyone know if Case and CCLCM accept online credit for Biochemistry?
I have two options for the semester next fall:
a) take the lecture course (3 credit hours) from two professors, who I have heard REALLY DO NOT KNOW how to teach the material
b) take the online course, which someone told me is through a school in Ohio and incorporates an online lab (3 credit hours)
Also, I heard the online biochem course lasts for 7 weeks, but I do not know how true that is.

2. Does Biochemistry lab matter to admissions?
I do not plan on taking biochemistry lab because I have a jam-packed senior year. I am BME and planning to take a course called “Tools in Biomedical Research” however to fill my engineering elective requirements. From what past students told me, you learn how to do cell culturing, SDS-PAGE, ELISA, and even drug encapsulation.

If anyone knows about how the adcoms feel about either, please let me know because I could not find anything on their website or other threads.

Thanks!

I asked CCLCM admissions about the biochem requirement a month or two ago. My understanding is that an online course is OK (it's their suggestion as a last-minute way to fulfill the biochem requirement). I don't think lab is a must.

I'm not sure if your BME class would count or not. I'd call and ask.

Hey guys, I have stated looking at medical schools to apply to this upcoming cycle and am interested in Case, but am curious if you guys know of other programs that have similar research focus like the CCMCL Program or other schools that encourage additions degrees? (I am not looking to do MD/PhD, but am very interested in continued research throughout my career).

I figured you guys would know best since you probably did similar research last year.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.