2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No ninja? No pirates? No robots?

I am disappoint.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not optimistic about getting on the alternate list (I think I have too little research for Case) but I wish everyone the best of luck! :)

Just withdrew my acceptance at Case. Hope this opens up a spot for someone!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems I totally spaced on submitting my financial aid info by the 4/1 deadline. Can any Case students chime in and tell me if I just really $#%&@% myself or if it's not such a big deal. Thanks.

It seems I totally spaced on submitting my financial aid info by the 4/1 deadline. Can any Case students chime in and tell me if I just really $#%&@% myself or if it's not such a big deal. Thanks.

I'm only an incoming students, but an answer to your question will largely depend on how much need-based aid you are hoping for and what you qualify for.

Talk to finaid and get your stuff in as soon as possible.

So, what kind of inter-house competitions do Case students have? Are their house T-shirts? How much of an extent do the students nerd out in this regard? :cool:

Is there ever a Tri-Medical Student Tournament with Ohio State and U of Cinci!?

So, what kind of inter-house competitions do Case students have? Are their house T-shirts? How much of an extent do the students nerd out in this regard? :cool:

There are indeed t-shirts. Hoodies too, if your society makes a wise decision (YOU HEAR THAT WEARN?! I WANT A HOODIE TOO!!!). As to competitions, there are the olympics, where you can out-athlete your classmates all you want as well as the occasional Dr. Mario tournament and whatever amazing thing you decide to bring to the table (bringing an air hockey table would be awesome!).

If that's not enough for you, there are intramural athletics all year long!

There are indeed t-shirts. Hoodies too, if your society makes a wise decision (YOU HEAR THAT WEARN?! I WANT A HOODIE TOO!!!). As to competitions, there are the olympics, where you can out-athlete your classmates all you want as well as the occasional Dr. Mario tournament and whatever amazing thing you decide to bring to the table (bringing an air hockey table would be awesome!).

If that's not enough for you, there are intramural athletics all year long!

How incredibly awesome! I can't wait! How closely do the house's resemble those in Harry Potter? Like, is there one that most resemble Gryffindor that everybody wants to be in?

How incredibly awesome! I can't wait! How closely do the house's resemble those in Harry Potter? Like, is there one that most resemble Gryffindor that everybody wants to be in?

There's one that thinks that just because it has a griffin in its logo that it is somehow Gryffindor. Sadly, they ignore the fact that Gryffindor's emblem depicts a lion, not a griffin. Whereas Wearn, whose logo incorporates a griffin, has the misfortune of having green walls, making us somehow Slytherin.

I'll show them. I'll show them ALL.:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

There's one that thinks that just because it has a griffin in its logo that it is somehow Gryffindor. Sadly, they ignore the fact that Gryffindor's emblem depicts a lion, not a griffin. Whereas Wearn, whose logo incorporates a griffin, has the misfortune of having green walls, making us somehow Slytherin.

I'll show them. I'll show them ALL.:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

:laugh::laugh:

Was there more to submit than just the FAFSA? I know some schools have pretty extensive third-party organizations you have to submit stuff to, but I didn't think Case was one of them.

Was there more to submit than just the FAFSA? I know some schools have pretty extensive third-party organizations you have to submit stuff to, but I didn't think Case was one of them.
Actually there's more; I didn't realize this either. Click on "documents" and it shows you what else you need to submit. Basically your W2s and tax return as well as your parent's. And the need based aid application which is a different website. That application is really extensive and it is $28 to submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
And we need to do this if we're on the alternate list, I'm assuming? And is it the same for CCLCM as well as the University program?

NeedAccess.

Wait, are we supposed to fill out the NeedAccess form even if we are on hold?

Wait, are we supposed to fill out the NeedAccess form even if we are on hold?

Nope. They only want your data for UP if you've been accepted.

Edit: Source of this info is last year's thread when someone called finaid and asked

Nope. They only want your data for UP if you've been accepted.

Edit: Source of this info is last year's thread when someone called finaid and asked

Whew...that's what I thought but I was starting to second guess myself. Thanks!

Any people accepted to CCLCM considering giving up their spot? Any people on the CCLCM alternate list watching this forum like a hawk?

Yup (the alternate part, definitely not the giving up my spot part). Glad to see there's people obsessing about it with me. Best of luck to you :xf:

Good luck to you too, when did you interview? I'll admit that I went through this forum to see how many on the alternate list there are here on sdn. Seems like I really underestimated the number. I'd say there are about 15 of us on here, I'm hoping thats most of the alternate list.

I interviewed January 9th...my interviewer (who I contacted after our statuses were posted) seemed to imply that there were only a few alternates and that most of them got in; it looks from the forum though like there's upwards of 20 of us. Which is terrifying.

There are definitely more than a few. I do hear that if you're on the alternate list you have a good chance, but thats very vague. If the information I received is correct, there are 28 people on the alternate list, 8 of which should get in. I saw last year that a person who got in off the alternate list ended up giving up their spot, (they got into a better school). So its fair to say that even the people on the alternate list give up their spots.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you contact the person that interviewed you? E-mail? Phone? Did he say that you could contact him/her?

There are definitely more than a few. I do hear that if you're on the alternate list you have a good chance, but thats very vague. If the information I received is correct, there are 28 people on the alternate list, 8 of which should get in. I saw last year that a person who got in off the alternate list ended up giving up their spot, (they got into a better school). So its fair to say that even the people on the alternate list give up their spots.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you contact the person that interviewed you? E-mail? Phone? Did he say that you could contact him/her?

Is this information for UP or CCLCM?

Just curious, but the UP and CCLCM are entirely separate right? The students don't intermingle academically at least right?

I forgot to mention that the people who reported on SDN that they got into the CCLCM off the alternate list posted around April 15th last year. So I'd say some of us should hear starting next week...

For the UP alternate list - I really hope it comes out tomorrow. I hope we dont have to wait the long weekend!

... My heart has skipped a beat everytime they've tweeted something this week (and they've tweeted A LOT!)

For the UP alternate list - I really hope it comes out tomorrow. I hope we dont have to wait the long weekend!

... My heart has skipped a beat everytime they've tweeted something this week (and they've tweeted A LOT!)

+1 to all of this. Their twitter has been open on my browser for the past few days!

I contacted her by email. She was one of those super-nice interviewers that gives you her card and says to email her if you have any questions. My status wasn't posted for like an eternity after they did the acceptance calls so naturally I panicked and contacted her.

Ya I found out late too. My letter says Feb 27th. I hope that doesn't mean I'm less likely to get in. I really like the program and I felt my interviews went well. I'm just hoping for good news in the coming weeks.

I think we were all on equal footing when we were made alternates. The decisions were all made in one day and they just took a while to update. My interviewer offered to go check my status (best interviewer EVER) so I found out a while before my letter came out.

So, for the UP people, I'd like you to know that there's been a little bit of a delay for the alternate list release. The current plan is to have them for you at some point during the week of the 16th.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

:luck::xf:

So, for the UP people, I'd like you to know that there's been a little bit of a delay for the alternate list release. The current plan is to have them for you at some point during the week of the 16th.

thanks for the heads up! does this mean they've made decisions already, or do they still have to meet to go over applicants?

Thanks for the update. Now i can stop checking my email every 5 seconds =]

Do you know why there's a delay?

I think we were all on equal footing when we were made alternates. The decisions were all made in one day and they just took a while to update. My interviewer offered to go check my status (best interviewer EVER) so I found out a while before my letter came out.

Do you know how they evaluate us after? If they have something like 28 people on an alternate list, by now they should have a ranking right? How do they choose the first person to accept off the alternate list?

If the information I received is correct, there are 28 people on the alternate list.

Hi calidoc10, if you don't mind posting or PM-ing me, how did you find out that there are only 28 people on the alternate list? I imagined there were a lot more of us on CP waitlist.

I don't know for sure, but someone said that there are 50-60 acceptances/alternates and that 40 acceptances go out. I can't imagine the alternate list being bigger than 30, its extremely unlikely that everyone accepted would give up their spot. Even if half gave up their spot, thats just 16 people.

I thought CCLCM had to dip that deep into its alternate pool, going as deep as 50-60 in some years. But I'd expect more than 30 alternates to give CCLCM some safety room.

I'm hoping you're right though. :)

I could be wrong. In the end, all this doesn't matter as we'll never really know. We'll either get in or we won't.

I could be wrong. In the end, all this doesn't matter as we'll never really know. We'll either get in or we won't.

Now you guys are getting me excited. April 15th has been sneaking up on me. I wonder if they'll call alternates on the 16th or whether they'll wait until a sub-committee meets to discuss which alternates fill the gaps best.

Oooh boy!

Is April 15th for sure the date we'll find out? Thats around the time that the people got off the CP alternate list last year. I didn't know it was set in stone though.

Just curious, but the UP and CCLCM are entirely separate right? The students don't intermingle academically at least right?
The first 2 years are basically separate. After that, your clinical rotations are all mixed together. The Clinic kids tend to stay at the Clinic for their rotations from my limited experience. That being said, there are events at the Clinic that are sponsored through their groups (Arts in Medicine comes to mind) that University students participate in, and there are always several Clinic students who are in the University program interest groups.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated :)

Thanks for the update. Now i can stop checking my email every 5 seconds =]

Do you know why there's a delay?

Maybe just due to second look planning.

Do any current/former students know much about the Fayne and care to share some insight? Thanks!

If you have been accepted off the CCLCM waitlist, how long do you have to accept or decline the offer?
(FYI I haven't been accepted, I'm just curious)

If you have been accepted off the CCLCM waitlist, how long do you have to accept or decline the offer?
(FYI I haven't been accepted, I'm just curious)

Almost gave me a heart attack before I read that last line LOL....Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question but I assume they'll let you know if they do end up accepting you...

Looks like all the CCLCM alternate list people are popping in now.

More recently, the Clinic students are being required to do three out of the four core rotations at the Clinic, so now it is even less likely to see one as a UP 3rd year, starting from July.

Why they decided to do that I have no idea.

However, there are opportunities to make friends over at the Clinic the first two years. I keep a few in my closet and one in the basement for amusement...:smuggrin:

In all seriousness, though, it might take more outreach on the part of a UP or CP type Pokemon to make friends of the other type. Student interest groups are your best shot.

More recently, the Clinic students are being required to do three out of the four core rotations at the Clinic, so now it is even less likely to see one as a UP 3rd year, starting from July.

Myuu, when you say, "...it is even less likely to see on as a UP 3rd year...", do you mean it's now less likely for UP students to do clinical rotations at CCF? :scared:!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.