2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also a little concerned by this if I end up attending Case as a UP student.

On this year's match list, for instance, only 1 of the CCF placements belonged to a UP student (not that University Hospitals isn't a great residency program, but choice is good right?).

Members don't see this ad.

:rofl::lol::rofl:

tumblr_m14jao8WVs1qauva0o1_500.jpg

Attachments

• 403746_2577825206365_1276410223_32166756_451564141_n.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 55
I think (hope) the point of Myuu's post was that CP students are less able to rotate at UH/Metro, not that UP students are less able to rotate through CCF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has already been asked or posted - I searched the thread and did not find the answer. Does anyone know when orientation for the UP starts?

Also, does anyone know when we might begin receiving financial aid/scholarship information?

This post only pertains to CCLCM:
What Myuu posted refers only to the basic cores - not electives, advanced cores, or acting internships. Finally, it is currently "strongly recommended" not mandatory that three of the four basic cores of your first year on the wards be done at CCF. This is a recent development and is still being figured out. Also note that the whole case-wide basic core schema is currently undergoing revision. So it is too early I think to say what this means for current applicants. Finally, this whole topic has no effect on UP kiddies.

Also, please stop the speculation about CCLCM waitlist size, number who will come of the waitlist, timing, etc. as it isn't productive for you or others who many be reading.

sent from my phone

Sorry if this has already been asked or posted - I searched the thread and did not find the answer. Does anyone know when orientation for the UP starts?

Also, does anyone know when we might begin receiving financial aid/scholarship information?

Orientation starts on July 11th and the financial aid office told me that we should received financial aid information at the beginning of May but no later than May 15th.

Thanks for your reply... But really??? They don't get us the financial aid information before we have to make a decision on which school to attend (Case's deadline is May 1st). I absolutely love Case and really want to attend, but how are we supposed to make a fully informed decision without even knowing the potential costs?

Does anyone know if the merit scholarship awards are also supposed to come out in May, or is that supposed to be released earlier?

Orientation starts on July 11th and the financial aid office told me that we should received financial aid information at the beginning of May but no later than May 15th.

Thanks for your reply... But really??? They don't get us the financial aid information before we have to make a decision on which school to attend (Case's deadline is May 1st). I absolutely love Case and really want to attend, but how are we supposed to make a fully informed decision without even knowing the potential costs?

Does anyone know if the merit scholarship awards are also supposed to come out in May, or is that supposed to be released earlier?

I was told by the financial aid office that I will most likely get my award letter in the end of April. I was also one of the earliest to complete my financial aid application, so I don't know about most people.

They said mid-April. We'll see. :xf:

You're speaking of the merit scholarships that were offered to accepted applicants along with their acceptance letter, correct?

I was told by the financial aid office that I will most likely get my award letter in the end of April. I was also one of the earliest to complete my financial aid application, so I don't know about most people.

You're speaking of the merit scholarships that were offered to accepted applicants along with their acceptance letter, correct?

I submitted mine super early and I hope I get mine this month then also. I called them and they told me at the beginning of May at the earliest but maybe the lady didn't know for sure.

Recently withdrew my acceptance from the UP. I loved Case but compared to my other options, it doesn't make financial sense.

I really hope it goes to one of you people patiently waiting. :xf:

Last edited:
If only you were in the CCLCM...but then there wouldn't be a financial issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently withdrew my acceptance from the UP. I loved Case but compared to my other options, it doesn't make financial sense.

I really hope it goes to one of you people patiently waiting. :xf:

Thanks for letting us know! Good luck at med school :luck:

Myuu, when you say, "...it is even less likely to see on as a UP 3rd year...", do you mean it's now less likely for UP students to do clinical rotations at CCF? :scared:!

Not at all, no. We are unrestricted free agents, for the most part.

Which would be much easier to do with if you didn't have 30k+ a year in tuition.

Which would be much easier to do with if you didn't have 30k+ a year in tuition.

Sounds like you are interested in CCLCM for the tuition only?

:confused: I tell people point-blank "Do not come here for the scholarship." You lose the additional year not from your training, but from the end of your career. At that time, the money you "saved" will at best be a wash. You should keep that in mind.

No. I am not in it for the tuition. Believe it or not, I found out that the CCLCM was free tuition during my interview. I don't know how I missed that detail while looking into the program, but I did. I only mentioned tuition because someone else gave up their spot for case because of financial reasons. Then I joked that if only he was in CCLCM and had given up his spot (so that people off the alternate list could get it). But, if he was in CCLCM, he would not give up his spot for financial reasons. The reason I am interested in CCLCM is because, primarily, of the excellent institution (Cleveland Clinic) and because it is research oriented. I really want to do research while practicing medicine. Plus, the whole reason of going to MD MSTP/MD PhD/MD MS (whatever) for the scholarship is foolish because you will eventually pay off the tuition (especially if you start practicing earlier).

But the short answer to your statement is no.

Last edited:
No. I am not in it for the tuition. Believe it or not, I found out that the CCLCM was free tuition during my interview. I don't know how I missed that detail while looking into the program, but I did. I only mentioned tuition because someone else gave up their spot for case because of financial reasons. Then I joked that if only he was in CCLCM and had given up his spot (so that people off the alternate list could get it). But, if he was in CCLCM, he would not give up his spot for financial reasons. The reason I am interested in CCLCM is because, primarily, of the excellent institution (Cleveland Clinic) and because it is research oriented. I really want to do research while practicing medicine. Plus, the whole reason of going to MD MSTP/MD PhD/MD MS (whatever) for the scholarship is foolish because you will eventually pay off the tuition (especially if you start practicing earlier).

But the short answer to your statement is no.
intense. I'm interested mostly because there is a delicious walleye grilled cheese sandwich available in the area.

Walleye sandwiches...shoot I feel in love with the Cleveland weather...that's what sold me lol

anyways...getting anxious to hear from CCLCM...April 15 is right around the corner so I'm hoping that some spots open up shortly after.

Walleye sandwiches...shoot I feel in love with the Cleveland weather...that's what sold me lol

anyways...getting anxious to hear from CCLCM...April 15 is right around the corner so I'm hoping that some spots open up shortly after.

Ohhh...you were the applicant with xerodoma pigmentosum, huh? (Can you tell I am studying for boards...I am incorporating board into every convo from now on)

intense. I'm interested mostly because there is a delicious walleye grilled cheese sandwich available in the area.

Excellent answer - just make sure it is well cooked....in fresh water fish you have to watch out for diphyllobothrium latum. Often causes anemia.

Good suggestion - I shall take Myuu to Melt soon. She will have to not eat for a couple of days beforehand (similar to a person with a restrictive eating disorder).

Excellent answer - just make sure it is well cooked....in fresh water fish you have to watch out for diphyllobothrium latum. Often causes anemia.

Good suggestion - I shall take Myuu to Melt soon. She will have to not eat for a couple of days beforehand (similar to a person with a restrictive eating disorder).

You trying to tell me I'm anorexic?

...and it is snowing a wee bit in Cleveland now.

:(

EDIT: oops forgot to include medical trivia

um....kinda like how gout is precipitation of uric acid crystals out of solution. Which of course you can treat with allopurinol.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, one of these days I will actually go there. Thanks!

You haven't been yet? :wow: My favorite (aka the one that's the most heart stopping) is the jalapeno popper. The sandwich has cream cheese, cheddar, jalapenos, and then its deep fried and served with berry preserves.

I stretch it to three meals so my arteries don't clog :oops:

And there I was thinking I was just seeing things. :(

I also thought I was seeing things. I wish I was :(

You haven't been yet? :wow: My favorite (aka the one that's the most heart stopping) is the jalapeno popper. The sandwich has cream cheese, cheddar, jalapenos, and then its deep fried and served with berry preserves.

I stretch it to three meals so my arteries don't clog :oops:

I also thought I was seeing things. I wish I was :(

The sun has reappeared. Things looking much warmer this weekend:

c1977b67795eb3912146990cd75cde88633f00b4b2.jpg

WHY is it that Case doesn't account for all accepted students for registration for the Second Look weekend? I understand assuming that people from out of town are not going to come... but I feel like I really need to go to Second Look in order for Case to win me over, but can't because I'm stuck at the end of the Second Look waitlist. UGH! So if anyone is signed up for second look and isn't planning on going....... please let me have your spot :D

+pissed+

Because buying out the intercontinental is obviously free?

I'm currently visiting Cleveland and looking at apartments, and I really don't know why Cleveland gets so much hate, especially on SDN. University Circle is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever been in. Everything about Case and the surrounding area is extraordinary. Got some pizza in Little Italy today at Mama something or another (blanking on name) and it was incredible. Loving this place! :love:Can't wait to start!

Have fun on Second Look to those of you who are going. It unfortunately could not work out for me. Cleveland indeed does ROCK! :horns:

Also, if anybody is in Cleveland tomorrow (Saturday), they are allowing free admission at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame!

Last edited:
I'm currently visiting Cleveland and looking at apartments, and I really don't know why Cleveland gets so much hate, especially on SDN. University Circle is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever been in. Everything about Case and the surrounding area is extraordinary. Got some pizza in Little Italy today at Mama something or another (blanking on name) and it was incredible. Loving this place! :love:Can't wait to start!

Have fun on Second Look to those of you who are going. It unfortunately could not work out for me. Cleveland indeed does ROCK! :horns:

Also, if anybody is in Cleveland tomorrow (Saturday), they are allowing free admission at the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame!

I head to Erie tomorrow. :hungover:

So glad you like it! University Circle is indeed beautiful. Mama Santa's has some of the best pizza I have ever had, and Little Italy is just an amazing place in general.

Red Hot Chili Peppers Induction into the Hall of Fame tomorrow! Definitely a big event, and anyone should try to go if they can!

Anyone know when applicants on hold can expect to hear anything? I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the week of April 16th is the adcom's goal... is it time to begin checking my email incessantly?

So glad you like it! University Circle is indeed beautiful. Mama Santa's has some of the best pizza I have ever had, and Little Italy is just an amazing place in general.

Red Hot Chili Peppers Induction into the Hall of Fame tomorrow! Definitely a big event, and anyone should try to go if they can!

I sweeped by the Hall earlier today and the line was wayyyy too long unfortunately. :(

Anyone know when applicants on hold can expect to hear anything? I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the week of April 16th is the adcom's goal... is it time to begin checking my email incessantly?

That's my plan. Actually, my plan is to start checking twitter incessantly. I'm so happy I have finals to keep me busy!

Anyone here know what the standard Second Look attire is? Business casual both days?

nope, no phone calls or anything.

what did the accepted students in your interview groups decide on (if you kept in touch with them)?

Status
Not open for further replies.