2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys know what Case and CCLCM policy is on AP Credits? I have AP credit for bio and chem. I've taken multiple advanced level bio courses, so from what I can figure out, schools will usually accept that for prereqs, but the only chem I've done other than the gen chem labs is a full year of orgo and a sem of biochem (if that counts).

I have AP credit for bio and calc and haven't run into any issues in the UP...unless they plan on confronting me about it when I show up for orientation in 3 weeks, that is. :) It sounds like you have enough upper-level classes that it shouldn't be an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

I have AP credit for bio and calc and haven't run into any issues in the UP...unless they plan on confronting me about it when I show up for orientation in 3 weeks, that is. :) It sounds like you have enough upper-level classes that it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks! I hope you're right. Good luck there!

Thanks! I hope you're right. Good luck there!

I remember reading on their website that they were willing to accept AP credits without any of the inconvenient pre-conditions that a couple of other schools have.

Of course, there may be a difference between what a school says they will allow and what adcoms actually want to see, so who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK I have somewhat of a vain question for the CP folks. I've become quite attached to my Mac over the past 4 years to the point that Windows really puts a bad taste in my mouth. Is it possible to get by with a Mac in the CP or do you really need to just use the PC they issue you?
You can use your Mac (or any other computer) if you prefer. The only downside of doing that is that you may not be able to get tech support through the school if you need it. I'm only pointing this out because I was one of those people who was in the tech office like every other week, especially my first year. :hungover:

Actually I seem to be on the "young" side of non-trad. If my opps came to fruition probably apply at 33-34 yrs, and yes opp shall remain nameless at this point :ninja: . I was just curious because the local small class size med school where I am admits older students, but seems to only admit one of each gender at 30+. So I wondered if CCLCM did something similar due to small class sizes or just whoever seemed most qualified regardless of age. Seems to be the latter from what I've gathered. Since it is my favorite school by far at this point, I like those odds a bit better :)
At age 33-34, you would definitely not be the oldest student that CCLCM has admitted or matriculated.

what exactly are secondary and interviews based on? I see from the MSAR data the mean is 3.8/35, and I have nowhere near there. Totally wanna apply, but I'm trying to look at the realistic options... Completely interested and loving the school though :love:
Case is a non-screening school. This means that if you apply, you will definitely receive a secondary. It is based solely upon completing your AMCAS and checking off the box to submit it to Case.

Interview decisions for the two programs are made separately. I don't know exactly what goes on down the street at Case, but at CCLCM, the completed apps (including secondaries and LORs) are screened by two members of the adcomm. Each of the screeners rates the applicant on several characteristics. One of them is "readiness for medical school," which is based in large part on your stats. However, there is no cutoff for MCAT or GPA below which you will automatically be rejected without review, and there is also no score above which you are guaranteed to definitely receive an interview. Some people with amazing stats get rejected for other reasons, and likewise, some people with so-so stats get invited. The interview decision is made holistically by taking the entire app into consideration together.

If you haven't already, you should read the MSAR description of Case and look through the school's website. If you think that you would be a good fit, then it's worth applying.

Do you guys know what Case and CCLCM policy is on AP Credits? I have AP credit for bio and chem. I've taken multiple advanced level bio courses, so from what I can figure out, schools will usually accept that for prereqs, but the only chem I've done other than the gen chem labs is a full year of orgo and a sem of biochem (if that counts).
Case policy on AP credits (from the Case website, FAQs):
AP credits are acceptable for mathematics, physics, and general chemistry. They are not accepted for organic chemistry or biology. If a student does have AP biology credits, they must complete two upper level biology courses to complete their premedical requirements. We do advise that if you are not a science major you complete some upper level science courses in order to demonstrate to the Admissions Committee a mastery of the more difficult sciences.

From the CCLCM website:
AP credits are acceptable for physics and general chemistry. They are not acceptable for organic chemistry or biology. If a student does have AP biology credits, they must complete two upper level biology courses to satisfy the premedical requirements.

Google is your friend. ;)

AP credits are acceptable for mathematics, physics, and general chemistry. They are not accepted for organic chemistry or biology. If a student does have AP biology credits, they must complete two upper level biology courses to complete their premedical requirements. We do advise that if you are not a science major you complete some upper level science courses in order to demonstrate to the Admissions Committee a mastery of the more difficult sciences.

To those who are interested, I used AP credits for bio but also took Physiology (with lab) and Anatomy (with lab) during undergrad. Worked for me :thumbup:

Hey I just got back from China and I want to find a Case student for a roommate. What's the best way to get in touch with other roommate-less students? facebook? case's own forums? student affairs?

Also, Myuu, Auriga,CCLCMer, vc7777 all you frequent posters on this thread, thanks for keeping us so well-informed, looking forward to meeting you people when school starts :laugh:
user_offline.gif

From the CCLCM website:
AP credits are acceptable for physics and general chemistry. They are not acceptable for organic chemistry or biology. If a student does have AP biology credits, they must complete two upper level biology courses to satisfy the premedical requirements.

Google is your friend. ;)

Thanks again. I guess I should have tried googling it first, but I have to admit I've been having to google everything for other schools so far, so it's nice to just take advantage of the service on this thread. Way better than the other school specific threads.

so what kind of research do you UP and CCLM students get up to? I was in a nutritional biochem lab, mostly focusing on glucose metabolism. Are there any labs you'd really recommend looking into? I think I'd like to stick to biochem and clinical trials, but I'm going in with an open mind. Did you really change your mind throughout the program as to what kind of research you'd want to do? Do most students end up in clinical trials?

And CCLMer, you're already done with your fifth year of research, yes? How was it? Was there a good work environment in your lab? Do you work with your lab over summers before the fifth year? And what's the totem pole like when you get into your research? n00b or post-doc ish?

sorry about the machine gun questions, I have no control over my rambling fingers :)

so what kind of research do you UP and CCLM students get up to? I was in a nutritional biochem lab, mostly focusing on glucose metabolism. Are there any labs you'd really recommend looking into? I think I'd like to stick to biochem and clinical trials, but I'm going in with an open mind. Did you really change your mind throughout the program as to what kind of research you'd want to do? Do most students end up in clinical trials?

And CCLMer, you're already done with your fifth year of research, yes? How was it? Was there a good work environment in your lab? Do you work with your lab over summers before the fifth year? And what's the totem pole like when you get into your research? n00b or post-doc ish?

sorry about the machine gun questions, I have no control over my rambling fingers :)

Don't worry...although rambling fingers is part of the sequelae of clinical symptoms that leads up to Restless Fists Syndrome (RFS) if not treated. I suffer from RFS, so I know. Although with medication I rarely have attacks anymore. Go have that checked out. :p

Hohoho...you should check out Dr. Hanson's research with PEPCK-C genetic mice. He's a Case instructor and a guest lecturer at CCLCM. I ran into him with a classmate at the opera once...really great speaker and really nice person. First person to link to video of his "mighty mouse" videos earns a :bow: from me!

Also, I'm a big fan of dr. Touhy's breast cancer vaccine work.

Short answer...you can do research in nearly anything here.

Sent from my Andriod phone using Tapatalk

Don't worry...although rambling fingers is part of the sequelae of clinical symptoms that leads up to Restless Fists Syndrome (RFS) if not treated. I suffer from RFS, so I know. Although with medication I rarely have attacks anymore. Go have that checked out. :p

Hohoho...you should check out Dr. Hanson's research with PEPCK-C genetic mice. He's a Case instructor and a guest lecturer at CCLCM. I ran into him with a classmate at the opera once...really great speaker and really nice person. First person to link to video of his "mighty mouse" videos earns a :bow: from me!

Also, I'm a big fan of dr. Touhy's breast cancer vaccine work.

Short answer...you can do research in nearly anything here.

Sent from my Andriod phone using Tapatalk

I LOVE LOVE LOVE DR. HANSON! He was one of my biochem profs this past year. Amazing professor, one of the best I have ever had. And what a sweet sweet guy. I would take biochem all over again just for him :love:

Oh, and here's the vid: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/video/2007/nov/02/supermouse

:)

As vc said, there are a ton of options. You could definitely do biochem or clinical trials research, though probably not both at the same time. :p

I would say that in my class, about half of the students did a basic/translational science research project and half did a clinical research project for their research year. I did a clinical project as part of CRSP (clinical research scholars program, which is Case's clinical research MS degree).

Dr. Hanson really is awesome, but I don't know anything about his research. The person that I worked with my first summer is a biophysical chemist at Case, and I had a very good experience with her. Her name is Mary Barkley. She works on understanding the folding and binding characteristics of HIV reverse transcriptase. I'm not sure if she is still taking students now since she became department chair a couple of years ago, but you could look into it if you're interested.

I suggest that you go to the Case biochem dept. website and see what is being done there, as well as to the Lerner Research Institute website to see what's being done at CCF. You can also log into the CCLCM portal (go to cclcm.ccf.org and use "guest" as your ID and PW), and there is a link there with a list of researchers and projects that you can look through.

Yes, I have already graduated. Since I did a clinical project, I wasn't in the lab. I worked with a large clinical group that had a bunch of projects going on at once. Mostly I was working on two projects and helping a little here and there on a couple of others. I did work with the same PI during my second research summer, which is the clinical research summer. But it's not necessary to work with one of the PIs that you do your clinical summer with, and a lot of people don't.

The culture of the group depends on the PI and the group. My group was pretty relaxed and informal. Everyone went by first names, including the PI and the other physicians. Of course, some PIs are very formal. You have to consider how well you think you will fit with the culture of the group before you decide to join.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool thanks. The Lerner research website is great, anyone interested in CCLM should check it out:

The Nazgul obviously, there were like ten death eaters who didn't have a clue what they were doing, you have a much better chance against them.

Cool thanks. The Lerner research website is great, anyone interested in CCLM should check it out:

The Nazgul obviously, there were like ten death eaters who didn't have a clue what they were doing, you have a much better chance against them.

A. CCLCM:)
B. The Nazgul were nine human kings given rings of power by Sauron. They could each take at least 10 death eaters out by themselves.:smuggrin:

A. CCLCM:)
B. The Nazgul were nine human kings given rings of power by Sauron. They could each take at least 10 death eaters out by themselves.:smuggrin:

I know that's what I was saying; my friend said it would be easier to take out a Nazgul than a death eater, she was obviously deluded. I mean they're practically immortal.

Sadly, Dr. Hanson jumped ship from the Case Med curriculum once we went to PBL(WR2).:oops:

Yep I heard :( He's no longer teaching undergrad biochem either. What a profound loss from academia.

:bow: <-- as promised!

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Why thank ya! Can I put this as an honor/award in my app?

What? That's crazy talk. Thems Fightin' Words. Let's just divide the world right now:

Harry Potter: Pirates
LOTR: Ninjas
Paper: Pirates
Plastic: Ninjas
Harley Davidsons: Pirates
Crotch Rockets: Ninjas
Oral retentive: Pirates
Anal retentive: Ninjas
Up: Pirates
Down: Ninjas
Mac: Ninjas
PC: Pirates
Right handed: Pirates
Lefties: Ninjas
Hockey: Ninjas
Football: Pirates
Fly Fishing: Ninjas
Bass Fishing: Pirates
Cations: Pirates
Anions: Ninjas
Cats: Ninjas
Dogs: Pirates
Sandals: Pirates
Flip-flops: Ninjas
Star Wars: Ninjas
Star Trek: Pirates

According to this quiz I'm a pirate.

Nagini is significantly less flamboyant, it's true...
Hmmm....some might offer that Gandalf was indeed in possession of the Ring of Fire (aka Nayra The Great ring, which of course is one of the three most powerful rings besides The One). Which means he was a badass and therefore indeed capable of handling not only a balrog, but a giant snake too. OK...fine THAT MAKES me look like an uber-geek. :shifty:

hmmm....some might offer that gandalf was indeed in possession of the ring of fire (aka nayra the great ring, which of course is one of the three most powerful rings besides the one). Which means he was a badass and therefore indeed capable of handling not only a balrog, but a giant snake too. But that makes me an uber-geek. :shifty:

ftfy

Hmmm....some might offer that Gandalf was indeed in possession of the Ring of Fire (aka Nayra The Great ring, which of course is one of the three most powerful rings besides The One). Which means he was a badass and therefore indeed capable of handling not only a balrog, but a giant snake too. OK...fine THAT MAKES me look like an uber-geek. :shifty:

Ah, yes, Narya. But we were talking about Nazgul vs. Death Eaters.:hungover:

Hmmm....some might offer that Gandalf was indeed in possession of the Ring of Fire (aka Nayra The Great ring, which of course is one of the three most powerful rings besides The One). Which means he was a badass and therefore indeed capable of handling not only a balrog, but a giant snake too. But THAT might make me look like an uber-geek. :shifty:

I'm not sure that evoking hope in the balrog and nagini would have helped... i am confident in the powers of gandalf, though I do think he should have given that ring to Sam, because Frodo was kind of a bitch for most of Return of the King, and could have used a bit of magic ring cheer.

I'm not sure that evoking hope in the balrog and nagini would have helped... i am confident in the powers of gandalf, though I do think he should have given that ring to Sam, because Frodo was kind of a bitch for most of Return of the King, and could have used a bit of magic ring cheer.

Don't get me started on the movies and the whole Samwise-Frodo dynamic on-screen.

Don't get me started on the movies and the whole Samwise-Frodo dynamic on-screen.

The only good parts of the hobbits in those movies were the cool camera tricks they used to make them seem shorter than everyone. No CGI for that!

Also, according to your list, I'm 50% pirate and 50% ninja. I must be plagued with cognitive dissonance.

Really, I love Harry Potter and LOtR immensely. I can't reaaallly think of a single HP creature that evokes as many "Uh oh!" feelings as LOtR creatures, though. Even if we ignore Nagini and upgrade to Slytherin's basilisk at Hogwarts, that basilisk still was beaten by a rather awkward/clumsy 12 year old (who admittedly did have the plus of Godric's sword, but it's not like that imbues one with ridiculous sword-fighting skills). Can anyone think of a HP creature as scary as a LOtR creature, a la Balrog or Wraith? I guess the dragons of the two series seem on par...but Smaug was all clever and snarky, while Rowling's dragons seem to be your more classic "I breathe fire and RAWWWR!" I'd rather be in a small space with Smaug than the Hungarian horntail.

Oh right. A friend just mentioned dementors, but mentions that they don't seem to have minds of their own as much in comparison to the Wraiths. Hmm but the Wraiths were kind of just fingers of Sauron....hmm now we are getting more involved in this conversation and figuring out their respective psyches some I'm going to leave the interwebz and pay attention to my friends.

Looking forward to getting the secondary soon! :)

Yeah Sam totally never would have left, and Frodo would at least shown a little bit of doubt about golem, instead of repeatedly saying "he's all we've got!" and making O faces.

Really, I love Harry Potter and LOtR immensely. I can't reaaallly think of a single HP creature that evokes as many "Uh oh!" feelings as LOtR creatures, though. Even if we ignore Nagini and upgrade to Slytherin's basilisk at Hogwarts, that basilisk still was beaten by a rather awkward/clumsy 12 year old (who admittedly did have the plus of Godric's sword, but it's not like that imbues one with ridiculous sword-fighting skills). Can anyone think of a HP creature as scary as a LOtR creature, a la Balrog or Wraith? I guess the dragons of the two series seem on par...but Smaug was all clever and snarky, while Rowling's dragons seem to be your more classic "I breathe fire and RAWWWR!" I'd rather be in a small space with Smaug than the Hungarian horntail.

Oh right. A friend just mentioned dementors, but mentions that they don't seem to have minds of their own as much in comparison to the Wraiths. Hmm but the Wraiths were kind of just fingers of Sauron....hmm now we are getting more involved in this conversation and figuring out their respective psyches some I'm going to leave the interwebz and pay attention to my friends.

Looking forward to getting the secondary soon! :)

Secondaries should come out on July 22, FYI

And I thought the Rita Skeeter beetle was terrifying.

Secondaries should come out on July 22, FYI

And I thought the Rita Skeeter beetle was terrifying.

Awesome, where did you hear about the scheduling?

I remember the poorly done Voldemort-on-the-back-of-the-head was pretty freaky too.

Are CCLCM students required to do their research year at CCLCM/Case or could they do an NIH fellowship, etc.?

I met someone at NIH who was doing their research year there. There was also a Case student doing a research year at the same time at NIH.

HOWEVER: One of the big sources of funding for med students (the Howard Hughes Medical Institute program) has lost it's funding as of next year, sadly. I've heard it was cut due to budget reasons. NIH does have it's own intramural program, CRTP, that will still exist. I'm not sure how this will affect students trying to do a research year at NIH, but I'm guessing things will be a lot more competitive.

http://www.hhmi.org/cloister/apply.html

I just submitted my primary app. Case is one of my top choices!

Awesome, where did you hear about the scheduling?

I remember the poorly done Voldemort-on-the-back-of-the-head was pretty freaky too.

I emailed with them a few weeks ago, because my scheduling will be a bit tight for interviews

I met someone at NIH who was doing their research year there. There was also a Case student doing a research year at the same time at NIH.

HOWEVER: One of the big sources of funding for med students (the Howard Hughes Medical Institute program) has lost it's funding as of next year, sadly. I've heard it was cut due to budget reasons. NIH does have it's own intramural program, CRTP, that will still exist. I'm not sure how this will affect students trying to do a research year at NIH, but I'm guessing things will be a lot more competitive.

http://www.hhmi.org/cloister/apply.html

Yeah, I just noticed that on the website. That really sucks. I wonder why the had to cut it completely and couldn't just make other changes to help the budget.

and how is it we're going like 12 hrs between posts. What are you all up to that's better than hanging out online. lol

I heard a rumor that CCLCM pays for interview costs, just like a lot of MSTPs do. Any truth to that?

Rereading all the harry potters in time for the new movie

aw man i used to do that every time too, but i'm away from my stash right now, and my mom refused to ship them to germany :p

i'm kind of in withdrawal, i keep making my friends play harry potter trivia with me in trains, wherein i come up with questions they have no idea of the answer to (ie: in what part of the books does harry come face to face with a vampire) and they ignore me.

Are CCLCM students required to do their research year at CCLCM/Case or could they do an NIH fellowship, etc.?
Several people have gotten NIH fellowships, Doris Duke fellowships, etc. It is fairly common for people to do their research years away from Cleveland. I would say around one fourth to one third of my class did that.

That is a major bummer. And Obama was going to be so good for science and research. :rolleyes:

I just submitted my primary app. Case is one of my top choices!
Awesome, good luck!

Yeah, I just noticed that on the website. That really sucks. I wonder why the had to cut it completely and couldn't just make other changes to help the budget.
At the risk of turning this thread political, I'd say it's because we're too busy starting up a third war in Libya. But what do I know. :rolleyes:

and how is it we're going like 12 hrs between posts. What are you all up to that's better than hanging out online. lol
Residency orientation. It's pretty intense so far, and it majorly cuts into my SDN surfing time. :smuggrin:

I heard a rumor that CCLCM pays for interview costs, just like a lot of MSTPs do. Any truth to that?
As awesome as it would be if this were true, it's not. If you're accepted, the school WILL pay for your second look costs in the spring though.

No. Named fellowships (and special exceptions with legitimate rationales are considered on a case-by-case basis) are encouraged here.

Considering the size of our class, we have excellent success with named fellowships (Sarnoff, Doris Duke, HHMI/cloisters, etc.) I take that back. I think you could argue that we are a research "powerhouse" and have already made a name for ourselves with these programs.

Last edited:
Interesting question...I haven't read the books in years now...I would have to say diagon alley...but I am probs wrong. :shrug:

it's at slughorn's christmas party, he came with that author.

Sorry to get slightly off the HP LOTR topics, but how was the interview experience at Lerner? Should I memorize my papers?

it's at slughorn's christmas party, he came with that author.

Sorry to get slightly off the HP LOTR topics, but how was the interview experience at Lerner? Should I memorize my papers?

Ah! Nice and obscure! Well played. Well played.

Your interview day consists of two faculty and one student interview - all one-on-one. One of your faculty interviews will be primarily focused on your research experience(s).

Memorize? I don't know how important it is that you should memorize the paper. You should be able to discuss at length your contributions to the research behind the paper. Ideally, you will understand the research in the context of our general knowledge and how it adds to our scientific understanding.

In short: If you don't know what you did = bad. But if you don't know why you did it = also bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.