2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted to the UP off the waitlist!!!! Just got the call a couple hours ago from Christian Essman. OMG OMG OMG OMG.

I sent a heartfelt letter of intent on Monday. It must have helped!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted off the waitlist to the CCLCM! Cleveland here I come!

Accepted to the UP off the waitlist!!!! Just got the call a couple hours ago from Christian Essman. OMG OMG OMG OMG.

I sent a heartfelt letter of intent on Monday. It must have helped!

Congrats, guys!

Can anyone comment on having iPADs instead of a laptop? I already have a laptop and a desktop that I'm pretty happy with, so I'm considering the iPAD option. Do any current students have thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll find both ATMs on campus. PNC just became partners with the university, however. I believe there's more of those ATMs now.

Wonderful. Thank you for your insight. Looks like I'll be banking with PNC!

Can anyone comment on having iPADs instead of a laptop? I already have a laptop and a desktop that I'm pretty happy with, so I'm considering the iPAD option. Do any current students have thoughts on this?

Rising M2 here - I'm not super-familiar with the programs/capabilities of the iPad (e.g. if our histology slide programs work on it), but if you're capable of and comfortable with taking notes on Word, Powerpoint, or OneNote (and doing internet research) on an iPad, you'd probably be fine on the day-to-day school stuff. I've actually seen some use of iPads in lecture. However, you'll definitely need a laptop for exams, and if nothing's changed from least year, you are required to purchase a new laptop through the school or get approval of tech specs to use another laptop you have. (I'm assuming you're not saying that Case is offering an iPad option as part of the IT purchase choices this year?)

I use my iPad for portability, but I tend not to be the type who annotates every slide. You cannot, however, go completely with a laptop/desktop, as there are some bits of proprietary software that run only with flash or Java.

2500posts6.jpg

:zip: :biglove: :lol: :rofl: :woot: :nod: :claps: :horns: :zip:

Congrats on 2500! Now you can't post for while, so that everyone understands what that post is for. :smuggrin:

jokerman55 said:
Are cclcm seminars recorded?
Seminar attendance is required, so there's not really any good reason to record them.

Congrats on 2500! Now you can't post for while, so that everyone understands what that post is for. :smuggrin:
I kind of like the idea of not letting her post for a while period....

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone start reading the summer hw? Any Californian's catch the inclusion of Keck's admissions director?

Last edited:
Accepted yesterday off the UP waitlist! The call was completely unexpected, but I'm unbelievably excited to come here in July!

Accepted yesterday off the UP waitlist! The call was completely unexpected, but I'm unbelievably excited to come here in July!

Congrats! Very glad to hear there is still movement off the alternate list. I am still anxiously awaiting that very same call...+pity+

Accepted to UP on Monday! So pumped about coming here. Anyone on SDN still looking for roommates? Also if anyone from the FB group is here, can I be let in? Thanks and cya guys in July!

:thumbup::luck:

Congrats to all those accepted!

ALSO:

Have a friend who is a female grad student in engineering looking for a roommate. She's settled in already. Lives a block from Cedar-Fairmount Starbucks on the hill close to school. Anyone who is interested should PM me.

I'm going through all of my stuff and selling the stuff that I won't be needing. Will I have any use for a TI-89 calculator in med school or will any type of scientific calculator suffice? I have several but the TI-89 will sell for a lot more. :-D

I'm going through all of my stuff and selling the stuff that I won't be needing. Will I have any use for a TI-89 calculator in med school or will any type of scientific calculator suffice? I have several but the TI-89 will sell for a lot more. :-D

I have not had any occasion at all to use my TI-83.:laugh:

Good to know! Now I can sell it and get some new golf shoes. :-D

Quick question: how much physician shadowing, if any, do medical students at Case do during pre-clinical years? Thanks! :)

As much or as little a they want, from my experience. Mind you, there is clinical work as part of the curriculum.

Sent from my phone

Yes. There are plenty of opportunities for clinical exposure beyond what is embedded in the curriculum if you want.:)

After MUCH deliberation, I just gave up my spot at Case-- I hope it goes to one of you!

Also, if anyone's still looking for a place to live, my lease is now up for grabs. It's in a perfect location-- literally a 5 minute walk from campus (yes, I timed it....). PM me if you're interested!

Still on the waitlist and thinking I should probably resign myself to not getting in :(

I've got my application verified and ready to send out, but I haven't sent to reach schools. Trying to be strategic about which ones I may get lucky with. I have a balanced 31R, ~3.8 cGPA, ~3.9 sGPA with quite a few upper level biomedical science classes. ECs are briefly listed in my MDApps profile. My PS reflects my "well-roundedness" and passion for medicine and all aspects of it. I have a strong interest in health policy and public health, as well as community service. I have done research (not as much as many applicants) and will have a poster presentation this summer, and potentially a paper sent out in the next year. Is Case a snowball's chance in hell for me? I know I'm in the bottom 10th percentile as far as MCAT, but how numbers orientated are they vs. looking at experiences, etc.?

I've got my application verified and ready to send out, but I haven't sent to reach schools. Trying to be strategic about which ones I may get lucky with. I have a balanced 31R, ~3.8 cGPA, ~3.9 sGPA with quite a few upper level biomedical science classes. ECs are briefly listed in my MDApps profile. My PS reflects my "well-roundedness" and passion for medicine and all aspects of it. I have a strong interest in health policy and public health, as well as community service. I have done research (not as much as many applicants) and will have a poster presentation this summer, and potentially a paper sent out in the next year. Is Case a snowball's chance in hell for me? I know I'm in the bottom 10th percentile as far as MCAT, but how numbers orientated are they vs. looking at experiences, etc.?

Apply.

I got an interview this past cycle with a 33 MCAT, 3.7cGPA, and very little research (one summer of health policy research and one semester of bench research). I spent a lot of time and effort on their secondary and I think that helped. I was ultimately waitlisted, but Case did pair me with a faculty interviewer who was NOT in research and I thought that was awesome. I second Myuu's advice! I didn't think I had a snowball's chance in hell at an interview, but lo and behold Case gave me a chance! I mean, if you don't apply, you definitely won't get an interview--so why not try?

Here's to praying for a miracle on the alternate list...If no miracle, good luck to everyone starting on Wednesday!

To any current students. Today in the computer session they mentioned that we shouldn't use our computers for anything but school; we shouldn't install other stuff. I was a little surprised and I was just wondering if you have done that or if you've basically installed whatever programs you've wanted like Skype, etc.

To any current students. Today in the computer session they mentioned that we shouldn't use our computers for anything but school; we shouldn't install other stuff. I was a little surprised and I was just wondering if you have done that or if you've basically installed whatever programs you've wanted like Skype, etc.

I have since found the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.