2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CP average last year was 37. Not sure what the UP average was.

Stop lumping us with the undergrads, OKZ. :hungover:

Edit: I'd post an awesome ninja pic, but sadly I am on my phone and will have to do more work for that. :p

Edit edit:
item-079-i.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
wow, those numbers are pretty intimidating. does anybody know if the numbers are generally different for the cp vs the up or are they pretty similar?
They're pretty similar. Keep in mind that these stats are for accepted students, not matriculants, so they are artificially high.

In addition to rounding, do you do any "hands on" patient care work like placing IV's, etc.? What is considered "scut" vs normal duties for 3rd/4th years?
Next questions. :)

Yes, I did quite a bit of hands-on work. What you do is highly variable depending on team, rotation, etc., but most of all, on how assertive and proactive you are. Act like you're disinterested, and you won't get to do or see nearly as much as if you jump in enthusiastically any time someone asks you if you want to do something. A sample of procedures that I was able to do (or at least to try) on my rotations: arterial sticks, lumbar puncture, venipuncture, Pap smears, delivering infants and placentas, assisting with c-sections, suturing, stapling, driving the laparoscopic camera, cementing a replaced joint, giving injections, placing a central line, intubating, and yes, placing an IV. Usually, though, you won't be placing IVs unless the nurse can't get them. Considering that the nurses are way better than you or your residents are at placing IVs, odds are good that if the nurse didn't get it, you won't either. (I didn't.) In that case, if getting access is essential, then you do an ultrasound guided central line or maybe an intraosseus line (into the marrow of a bone) if it's a kid.

The definition of scut varies depending on whom you ask. But basically, you can think of scut as anything you are told to do that doesn't really add anything to your learning, especially if it's time-consuming busywork. So for example, being asked to go get lunch for the team is clearly scut. Most people would also consider things like having you copy charts, file reports into charts, fax things, etc. as scut. Not that those things aren't essential to get done, because they are, but it's not going to teach you much. Other things that some people might consider scut because they aren't necessarily fun to do, but that actually should teach you something useful, are things like having you talk to a social worker, assist with procedures (eg. retracting during surgery), find patient education materials, or look up drug dosages.

All of the Case affiliate hospitals do not want the students to be scutted out. This leads to really bizarre situations sometimes, where you're sitting around doing nothing while your intern is frantically trying to get all the paperwork done. I usually had to convince them to let me do some of the scut things like make phone calls, get the patient to sign a medical records retrieval form and fax it to the outside hospital, etc. I wanted to do it because it meant we could all go home faster, but also because I was bored out of my mind. So it was win-win for everyone, and actually, it does help teach you something about the difficulties of navigating the health care system, even in-house. More importantly, volunteering to do scut makes you a part of the team and earns you the goodwill of the residents.

There is also a lot to be said for taking as complete of an ownership of your patients as you possibly can. So if there's something your patient needs, even if it's as simple as an extra blanket or a glass of ice water, go get it for them. If your patient came from another hospital, make sure that the records are requested, go pick them up off the fax machine, and file them in your patient's chart. If your patient had labs ordered in the morning, follow up on the results in the afternoon. The more you try to act like you're a doctor, the better your experience will be, even when doing the less interesting but necessary tasks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any comments on how generous Case is in terms of financial aid?
Is it usually merit- or need-based?

On a side note, how would current students rate the cost of living compared to other regions of the country?

Any comments on how generous Case is in terms of financial aid?
Is it usually merit- or need-based?

On a side note, how would current students rate the cost of living compared to other regions of the country?

Sadly, the office of financial aid is not known for its generosity. On the upside, there is both merit- and need-based aid. Also, living in Cleveland is cheap!

...unless you live where I do.:cry: (but it's so darn convenient!)

I had a question, I heard that students at this school are very protected--meaning during 3rd year things are a little different. Apparently students can't write orders and things like that? Is this true? Just wondering so I can weigh the clinical opportunities during third year at different schools.

I had a question, I heard that students at this school are very protected--meaning during 3rd year things are a little different. Apparently students can't write orders and things like that? Is this true? Just wondering so I can weigh the clinical opportunities during third year at different schools.

I'll tell you tomorrow, if CCLCMer doesn't beat me to it.:)

anyone?

In general, what were the attitudes of house staff and attendings like? Highly variable, or consistent across the board? Respectful or dismissive? Willing to teach? What is the culture like?
Definitely highly variable. As in any educational setting you've ever experienced, the level of interest and enthusiasm for teaching medical students runs the gamut. Some people love to teach med students. Obviously, getting a resident or attending like that is great for your learning, although you may not enjoy it so much at noon on a day when you're post-call and have been awake for thirty hours straight. Other people will basically ignore you or send you home early so they don't have to deal with you. That's not so great for your learning, but it's nice for your lifestyle.

I would say that on the whole, I had a good experience working with residents and attendings. Of course, I only attended one medical school, so I can't compare what the experience would have been like if I had gone somewhere else. But I did go on two away rotations, and I am now doing my residency at yet another hospital. In every setting, there have been some amazing residents/attendings, and other residents/attendings who have served as a cautionary tale. :hungover:

Concerning culture, every hospital and every specialty has its own. Case's four affiliates are all very different. University Hospitals/Rainbow Babies is the academic hospital and a tertiary referral center. You can get amazing teaching from leading experts in their fields. Metro is the county hospital, and they do a lot of the indigent care. They're also the main level I trauma center for Cuyahoga County. The VA is your typical government-run facility, with all the good and bad that entails. One major difference there is that almost all of your patients will be male. Cleveland Clinic (CCF) is an enormous group practice with I think around 2000 docs. It's a tertiary care center like UH, but much more surgery-oriented. They have a lot of money to throw around compared to the other hospitals.

People tend to gravitate toward different hospitals depending on what their interests are. The hardcore blood and gore types and the people who want to work with the underserved love Metro. People who want to do surgery and surgical subspecialties are all about CCF. Medicine and peds people tend to like UH/RB. But of course, all the major rotations are offered at all three of these main sites. (The VA is often lumped in with UH, although there are some rotations offered exclusively at the VA.)

It's probably even fair to say that every team has its own culture, largely dictated by the attending as the most senior person. You will see as you go through your clerkships that there is a lot less science in the practice of medicine than you can appreciate right now. Attending A will tell you that he wants a lactate done on every patient, while Attending B will scoff and tell you that there's no evidence to support that. So, what do you do? Well, when you're on Attending A's team, you order the lactates. When you're on Attending B's team, you don't. Any time you start working with a new team, you learn what the attending expects, and then you do it. And that is the art of medicine as practiced by trainees. :p

Relax. I'm the only person who has any experience with the question you're asking, and I'm still working through bucks' questions. But the short answer is that no matter where you go to school, no, you can't write real orders as a med student. Until you have an MD/DO after your name and a medical license, you can't practice medicine. Period. People who claim they are writing orders as med students are at best having them cosigned by someone who is a physician. And yes, you can do that at the Case affiliates just like you can do that anywhere else if your residents or attendings allow it.

In case anyone is wondering, the orders you write as an intern ARE real, even though you aren't yet licensed to practice independently. I have a medical license and also my own DEA number (which allows me to prescribe narcotics). I also have malpractice insurance. But I have to add the caveat that medical licenses are granted by the state where you practice, and I'm not sure if all states do things the same way that they do them here.

Definitely highly variable. As in any educational setting you've ever experienced, the level of interest and enthusiasm for teaching medical students runs the gamut. Some people love to teach med students. Obviously, getting a resident or attending like that is great for your learning, although you may not enjoy it so much at noon on a day when you're post-call and have been awake for thirty hours straight. Other people will basically ignore you or send you home early so they don't have to deal with you. That's not so great for your learning, but it's nice for your lifestyle.

I would say that on the whole, I had a good experience working with residents and attendings. Of course, I only attended one medical school, so I can't compare what the experience would have been like if I had gone somewhere else. But I did go on two away rotations, and I am now doing my residency at yet another hospital. In every setting, there have been some amazing residents/attendings, and other residents/attendings who have served as a cautionary tale. :hungover:

Concerning culture, every hospital and every specialty has its own. Case's four affiliates are all very different. University Hospitals/Rainbow Babies is the academic hospital and a tertiary referral center. You can get amazing teaching from leading experts in their fields. Metro is the county hospital, and they do a lot of the indigent care. They're also the main level I trauma center for Cuyahoga County. The VA is your typical government-run facility, with all the good and bad that entails. One major difference there is that almost all of your patients will be male. Cleveland Clinic (CCF) is an enormous group practice with I think around 2000 docs. It's a tertiary care center like UH, but much more surgery-oriented. They have a lot of money to throw around compared to the other hospitals.

People tend to gravitate toward different hospitals depending on what their interests are. The hardcore blood and gore types and the people who want to work with the underserved love Metro. People who want to do surgery and surgical subspecialties are all about CCF. Medicine and peds people tend to like UH/RB. But of course, all the major rotations are offered at all three of these main sites. (The VA is often lumped in with UH, although there are some rotations offered exclusively at the VA.)

It's probably even fair to say that every team has its own culture, largely dictated by the attending as the most senior person. You will see as you go through your clerkships that there is a lot less science in the practice of medicine than you can appreciate right now. Attending A will tell you that he wants a lactate done on every patient, while Attending B will scoff and tell you that there's no evidence to support that. So, what do you do? Well, when you're on Attending A's team, you order the lactates. When you're on Attending B's team, you don't. Any time you start working with a new team, you learn what the attending expects, and then you do it. And that is the art of medicine as practiced by trainees. :p

Relax. I'm the only person who has any experience with the question you're asking, and I'm still working through bucks' questions. But the short answer is that no matter where you go to school, no, you can't write real orders as a med student. Until you have an MD/DO after your name and a medical license, you can't practice medicine. Period. People who claim they are writing orders as med students are at best having them cosigned by someone who is a physician. And yes, you can do that at the Case affiliates just like you can do that anywhere else if your residents or attendings allow it.

In case anyone is wondering, the orders you write as an intern ARE real, even though you aren't yet licensed to practice independently. I have a medical license and also my own DEA number (which allows me to prescribe narcotics). I also have malpractice insurance. But I have to add the caveat that medical licenses are granted by the state where you practice, and I'm not sure if all states do things the same way that they do them here.

I'm aware of that, I just wanted to know how much clinical exposure Case offers. I think knowing how 3rd/4th year operates at schools is very important ( at least in my opinion).

Thanks for the answer.

I'm aware of that, I just wanted to know how much clinical exposure Case offers. I think knowing how 3rd/4th year operates at schools is very important ( at least in my opinion).

Thanks for the answer.
Sorry if it came across like I was criticizing you for asking the question--I'm not. You're 100% right that rotations and clinical opportunities are way more important than the PBL versus lecture debates that people tend to worry about when they're trying to pick a med school. But I am definitely rolling my eyes a little at whoever told you that their school's clinical experience is better than Case's because they get to write "orders."

My advice is to focus less on the small details of rotation experiences, because they're highly variable even at a single school. Instead, look at the broad set up of rotations. One thing to consider is whether schools give you the opportunity to rotate in several different hospitals. It's not the end of the world if they don't, because you can always do aways at other hospitals as a fourth year. But it's a lot easier to experience multiple practice settings if your school has several kinds of affiliates. You should also ask how rotations get assigned. It does you no good to have half a dozen different hospitals to choose among if you can't ever get the rotations you want at the hospital you want to do them at. Finally, ask about how the rotation grading is done. Along with Step 1 scores, rotation grades are the most important stats that residency program directors care about. Some schools weight shelf exams more, while others weight clinical evals more. Also, if a school limits the number of people who can get Honors, that is going to make the environment much more competitive than it would be if the school gave Honors to everyone who met a certain standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if it came across like I was criticizing you for asking the question--I'm not. You're 100% right that rotations and clinical opportunities are way more important than the PBL versus lecture debates that people tend to worry about when they're trying to pick a med school. But I am definitely rolling my eyes a little at whoever told you that their school's clinical experience is better than Case's because they get to write "orders."

My advice is to focus less on the small details of rotation experiences, because they're highly variable even at a single school. Instead, look at the broad set up of rotations. One thing to consider is whether schools give you the opportunity to rotate in several different hospitals. It's not the end of the world if they don't, because you can always do aways at other hospitals as a fourth year. But it's a lot easier to experience multiple practice settings if your school has several kinds of affiliates. You should also ask how rotations get assigned. It does you no good to have half a dozen different hospitals to choose among if you can't ever get the rotations you want at the hospital you want to do them at. Finally, ask about how the rotation grading is done. Along with Step 1 scores, rotation grades are the most important stats that residency program directors care about. Some schools weight shelf exams more, while others weight clinical evals more. Also, if a school limits the number of people who can get Honors, that is going to make the environment much more competitive than it would be if the school gave Honors to everyone who met a certain standard.

yeah definitely, I think I can start making these kind of decisions if/when I'll have choices :cool:. Just trying to stay semi educated on how different schools run

Alright this is the info I was able to get from today's orientation about our class.

Total Applicants: 5293
Matriculants: 196

University Track:
Applicants: 4764
Interviews: 869
Matriculants: 151

College Track:
A:1745
I:226
M:32

MSTP:
A: 320
I: 66
M: 13

Average (Mean or Median?) GPA: 3.72
Range: 2.93-4.00
National Average: 3.67 (2010)

Average (Mean or Median?) sGPA: 3.69
Range: 2.77-4.00
National Average: 3.61 (2010)

Average (Mean or Median?) MCAT: 35.2
Range: 25-42
National Average: 31.1 (2010)

Average Age: 24.1 (Mean or Median?)
Range: 20-46

~45% Female

and 91% of people had some sort of research experience

Alright this is the info I was able to get from today's orientation about our class.

University Track:

College Track:

MSTP:

~45% Female

Thanks for the info! Hope you had a great first day :)

University Track:

College Track:

MSTP:

~45% Female

Thank you very much for the info!

Also, I have heard people say that their medical school was family friendly i.e. supportive of medical students being married, having kids, etc. Anyone have input about Case?
Yes, I am interested in the UP take mainly. Thanks for clarifying
Bump:D
Does anyone have anything to say about this?
Specifically, I am married and my wife might have children while I'm in medical school. Any comments?

I am married and my wife might have children while I'm in medical school. Any comments?

Start keeping a dream diary so you'll be able to remember what it was like when you were able to sleep more than three hours a night? :laugh:

If given an interview at Case, do you medical students have any tips based on your own experiences here? Also, do you think being an Ohio resident has any effect here?

Also, any news on the secondary application for this cycle?

If given an interview at Case, do you medical students have any tips based on your own experiences here? Also, do you think being an Ohio resident has any effect here?

Also, any news on the secondary application for this cycle?

Can't answer the first two questions but MelMelisQueen posted a few pages back that the secondaries are coming out on the 22nd.

Bump:D
Does anyone have anything to say about this?
Specifically, I am married and my wife might have children while I'm in medical school. Any comments?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Can you be more specific about what the question is?

If you're asking whether the school accommodates new parents (ex. with FMLA leave), the answer is yes. I think that's actually required by law, so any med school would have to do it. But IMO the general culture of the school is very non-trad friendly. Plenty of students in both programs are married (with or without children), and plenty of students have babies during medical school. In my class, three out of sixteen girls had babies during medical school (one of them had two!), and the school accommodated all of them. One of the three graduated on time, and the other two will be graduating a year late. Also, one guy out of sixteen in my class had a baby during med school (well, his wife did, to be more exact!). So, suffice it to say that you'd be in very good company.

I have three suggestions. First, read the SDN interview feedback. Lots of good info in there, especially about questions that previous applicants were asked. Also, make sure to read the school's website and be familiar with the general features of the curriculum. You won't impress your interviewers by asking obvious questions that are easy to answer with a simple google search. Finally, read over your AMCAS and secondary essays if you haven't looked at them in a while. Anything on your app is fair game for the faculty interviewer to ask about, so be prepared.

Case does not give preference to OH residents, although there is a disproportionate number of OH (and Midwestern) students because of where the school is located.

bucks2010 said:
Do you get along with the ancillary staff well? Are a lot of them disgruntled/unwilling to help or are they professional in their interactions with you? Maybe this is too variable comment generally on.
Again, this is highly variable. Some people love working with med students, and some see them as a nuisance. Try not to take it personally if people snap at you. Everyone in the hospital is working hard, and as a med student, you tend to make even more work for them. It's not your fault, but it's just the way it is.

No matter where you go to med school, my advice is to make nice with the nurses. If you're on surgery and the scrub nurse tells you that you've contaminated yourself, don't argue, even if you're sure she's wrong. Just ask her what she wants you to do to fix it, and do it. Don't ever order nurses around. You don't want to be that arrogant med student who they're all making fun of behind your back (and believe me, they do). If there's something you can do to help the nurse out even though it's technically "not your job," just do it. Finally, make an effort to learn their names, and introduce yourself to them first before you ask for something. This is just common courtesy and respect.

If you always keep in mind that you're part of a team, and you act accordingly, you will get along well with almost all of the ancillary staff. There will be an occasional personality disorder in the mix, but most of the situations where students run afoul of nurses can easily be avoided by altering your own behavior.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Can you be more specific about what the question is?

If you're asking whether the school accommodates new parents (ex. with FMLA leave), the answer is yes. I think that's actually required by law, so any med school would have to do it. But IMO the general culture of the school is very non-trad friendly. Plenty of students in both programs are married (with or without children), and plenty of students have babies during medical school. In my class, three out of sixteen girls had babies during medical school (one of them had two!), and the school accommodated all of them. One of the three graduated on time, and the other two will be graduating a year late. Also, one guy out of sixteen in my class had a baby during med school (well, his wife did, to be more exact!). So, suffice it to say that you'd be in very good company.
Thanks! This answers my question perfectly

I have a twitter account now. (Actually had it for years, just dusted it off). Should I twitter only important adcom-related stuff or are you guys interested in more of the day-to-day of a cclcm student?

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a twitter account now. (Actually had it for years, just dusted it off). Should I twitter only important adcom-related stuff or are you guys interested in more of the day-to-day of a cclcm student?

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

All of the above!

The Case twitter account indicated the secondaries will be out this week (and it looks like very soon). If anyone gets one, could you please post the essay prompts? Thanks a lot!

The Case twitter account indicated the secondaries will be out this week (and it looks like very soon). If anyone gets one, could you please post the essay prompts? Thanks a lot!

better finish all my others so i can focus on this one when i get it. #1 choice!!!

Definitely just got to sit in on the first day of medical school for the M1's here. I think I'm even more in love with this school than before, if that's possible :love:

Hi everyone!

I am a current CCLCM (Case CP) first year student. I don't know if I'll be able to check in very often, and I think CCLCMer and vc7777 have it covered. Enjoy them. They were a blessing during my App process.

However, I did want to pop in and say a few things.

1) when I applied to the CP, I did so knowing full well that I had a one in a gillion chance of actually being accepted. However, I just finished orientation, so I feel pretty confident at this point that there wasn't some horrible mix-up and I really do get to go here. If I can get in, you can too, so you should definitely apply!

2) I realize that I've only been here a week, but from what I've seen, the school really is as amazing as people say it is. My favorite part was when my grandfather walked up and asked Dean Franco what the drop out rate was at the white coat ceremony, and when I tried to apologize, she commended his inquisitive nature and told me it was very similar to my own.

3) Cleveland rocks. I've been living here for over two months because I had to move in early to take biochem, and it has been wonderful. I come from a major city and was a little apprehensive about living here, but not only am a living in a huge 1 bedroom (with full living and dining room) in a fantastic neighborhood at an absolutely scandalous price, but there's awesome (and free!) stuff to do every day of the week if you're interested.

Okay, that's my 2 cents. Feel free to PM me with any questions and good luck! It is a long and generally aweful process, but in the end you get to learn why our bodies do the crazy things that they do, so it's worth it.

:hello: Hi Student DrTica! ;)

Hi everyone!

I am a current CCLCM (Case CP) first year student. I don't know if I'll be able to check in very often, and I think CCLCMer and vc7777 have it covered. Enjoy them. They were a blessing during my App process.

However, I did want to pop in and say a few things.

1) when I applied to the CP, I did so knowing full well that I had a one in a gillion chance of actually being accepted. However, I just finished orientation, so I feel pretty confident at this point that there wasn't some horrible mix-up and I really do get to go here. If I can get in, you can too, so you should definitely apply!

2) I realize that I've only been here a week, but from what I've seen, the school really is as amazing as people say it is. My favorite part was when my grandfather walked up and asked Dean Franco what the drop out rate was at the white coat ceremony, and when I tried to apologize, she commended his inquisitive nature and told me it was very similar to my own.

3) Cleveland rocks. I've been living here for over two months because I had to move in early to take biochem, and it has been wonderful. I come from a major city and was a little apprehensive about living here, but not only am a living in a huge 1 bedroom (with full living and dining room) in a fantastic neighborhood at an absolutely scandalous price, but there's awesome (and free!) stuff to do every day of the week if you're interested.

Okay, that's my 2 cents. Feel free to PM me with any questions and good luck! It is a long and generally aweful process, but in the end you get to learn why our bodies do the crazy things that they do, so it's worth it.

OK!

Will do...my twitter account is live. The mind of VC7777 is now available for all to see.

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be even weirder than what shows up on these forums.

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be even weirder than what shows up on these forums.

I think you are going about this the wrong way. It will be more _awesome_ than it is here (if that's even possible).

Hello thread! My, how you've grown since last I saw you!

I returned physically a week or so ago, helped with peer handoff last week (welcome new M1s!!) and have now returned internetically.

I reeeeeeally don't feel like reading over the last 5 pages at the moment, so I'll just pick up from here ;P and thus you may randomly see me reply to things that happened ages ago. Just flow with it.

O, where was I, you ask?

Peru2011_June13_Clinic1.jpg

and

Peru2011_June19MachuPicchu37.jpg

With the Lamay Clinic Project Medical Missions in the Sacred Valley, Peru.
Comprised of Case, CCLCM, UH, Metro, Cleveland Clinic, and CSU physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and students. Student run project, bringing medical clinics and zillions of supplies up into the indigenous populations in the Andes mountains around Cusco, Peru.

Hello thread! My, how you've grown since last I saw you!

I returned physically a week or so ago, helped with peer handoff last week (welcome new M1s!!) and have now returned internetically.

I reeeeeeally don't feel like reading over the last 5 pages at the moment, so I'll just pick up from here ;P and thus you may randomly see me reply to things that happened ages ago. Just flow with it.

O, where was I, you ask?

Peru2011_June13_Clinic1.jpg

and

Peru2011_June19MachuPicchu37.jpg

With the Lamay Clinic Project Medical Missions in the Sacred Valley, Peru.
Comprised of Case, CCLCM, UH, Metro, Cleveland Clinic, and CSU physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and students. Student run project, bringing medical clinics and zillions of supplies up into the indigenous populations in the Andes mountains around Cusco, Peru.

Sooo...jealous.

I searched this thread, but I couldn't find any information regarding this:

For the Case secondary, are you considered a reapplicant if you have previously submitted a primary, or only if your file was complete.

When you PM me the secondary, please tell me which combination of programs you applied to. There extra questions if you do both programs or an mstp.

.Required Essay: Greatest Challenge (3500 chars).

.The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe the greatest personal challenge you have faced which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a time when you felt you were "in over your head," or a time when you felt personally criticized. You may also discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself..

.Optional Scholarly Essay (3500 chars).

.One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Track, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations..

.Small Group Essay (300-1000 chars).

.If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying their load, how would you handle it?.

Status
Not open for further replies.