2011-2012 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And while I'm at it... join team ninja! Your face goes here!

147873659_86.jpg

But in all seriousness, I need someone to get me a copy of the CCLCM secondary. If one of you is an MSTP candidate, I need to have that too, so I can post it.

UP secondary is up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Research Essay:

(Required for all applicants) Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.

Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Areas of Improvement Essay:

(Required for all applicants to CCLCM) Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strength? Design a plan as to how you could improve it.

Please limit your response to 500-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

Criticism and Feedback Essay:

(Required for all applicants to CCLCM) Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do?

Please limit your response to 500-1000 characters, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

can we apply to both programs? are the decisions made separately? (im sure this info is available somewhere online but i cant find it...so please post the link)

can we apply to both programs? are the decisions made separately? (im sure this info is available somewhere online but i cant find it...so please post the link)

you can apply to both, and the decisions are made separately. also, you should really check out the faq in the first post. it has a lot of helpful info and will probably answer most questions you have, including this one iirc.

Oooooooo secondaries are up? I'll prepare for this thread to go into warp speed, then.

Are the "Greatest Challenge" and "Small Group" essays required for people who are only applying to the College Program?

I searched this thread, but I couldn't find any information regarding this:

For the Case secondary, are you considered a reapplicant if you have previously submitted a primary, or only if your file was complete.

Just confirmed with Dr. Franco:

You are only conisdered a re-applicant if you received a decision (accepted, rejected, waitlisted). Therefore, if you never completed the secondary forms, you are NOT a reapplicant.

Hope that helps. :)

you can apply to both, and the decisions are made separately. also, you should really check out the faq in the first post. it has a lot of helpful info and will probably answer most questions you have, including this one iirc.

Quite right, as Illinois mentioned. Both programs are,from the perspective of the applicant, effectively separate admissions committees after the secondary.

I believe you access these through iApply. Information for accessing iApply website will be e-mailed to your AMCAS associated e-mail account. (Auriga/Myuu please fact-check!)

We are inviting people in batches, yes.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys pick batches of people? Just wondering...
I think it is partially based on when data is transferred from AMCAS to CWRU. That is, there are periodic bulk transfers of primary applications rather than some sort of real-time trickle. So, at least in part, when you are sent an e-mail for iApply is dependent on how data is presented to our admissions people initially.

I know this question has probably been answered already...but you all seem so nice that I didn't think you would mind me asking again. If you apply to both UP and CP, does your UP application get processed in the normal timeline, or does it get delayed until the CP committee has a chance to review it? Say, if UP was going to offer me an interview, would they do it at the same time they offer UP only applicants or wait until CP has made a decision? Thank you in advance.

Your application is not delayed for being considered by either program in this situation. However, as a courtesy to you, once a decision has been made to grant an interview at one program, they will delay telling you this until the other program has had an opportunity to process your application. That is, there is no delay in consideration - just a (possible) delay in notification. If you are granted an interview at one program, you will not find out until an interview decision is made by the other. This way, if you are lucky enough to get both interviews, you can schedule them back-to-back. Does that make sense?

The down side is the angst this may cause in applicants, who see people who submitted much later applications reporting that they have been given interviews at one or another program before you have heard anything.

One of those was acquired by a classmate a couple of days ago. Micturated on her bed as a way of saying "thanks" this morning. Just sayin'

That is a standard felinese greeting.:shifty:

delete. my question was answered a few posts ago

ok I got my secondary :D

I'm going to work on being less neurotic now :)

Also, have I told you all yet that I think you're really great? I'm gonna add a puppy to this thread's jpgs.

youre-awesome.jpg

I have a 34Q and a 3.97cgpa so I think stats-wise,, i am okay
but I don't have any significant research experience!!!
and i noticed how there's a required research related question ...
should i even bother applying to case?
how important is research?

Clan of pirates? I thought pirates were representative dictatorships voted in via mutiny.

still waiting for the secondary. :(

don't have the paranoias. i had them too but they send them out in batches. don't worry, soon you'll be able to write even more essays :)

don't have the paranoias. i had them too but they send them out in batches. don't worry, soon you'll be able to write even more essays :)

I don't want any new secondaries for a while because I'm enjoying the break, but this school is an exception. Does anybody know how often they send out a new batch? I believe the twitter account said it'll take a few weeks to get to everybody.

I don't want any new secondaries for a while because I'm enjoying the break, but this school is an exception. Does anybody know how often they send out a new batch? I believe the twitter account said it'll take a few weeks to get to everybody.

the twitter account says a few days, not weeks. haven't yet gotten the secondary either. I'm sure we'll be receiving it early next week.

For those of you who are still waiting for the secondary, the prompts are already posted in this thread, and you can start working on the questions now. Case is a non-screening school, which means you will all receive the secondary, no exceptions. So no need to wait until you actually receive the secondary. Just start writing the essays.

Speaking of essays....

What were your favorite/least favorite rotations, where, and why?
Ok, favorite rotation of third year would have to be family medicine. It was my first, so it was kind of scary, but I liked the variety of it. I also liked that there wasn't a lot of downtime like there typically is in inpatient rotations, and the hours were pretty benign. (No weekends, no call.) You get to see a little of everything, do a little patient counseling, a few procedures. Even during my rotation, I had a couple of patients come for follow-up visits, so I was able to build up a rapport with them. I liked that longitudinal aspect of it. Plus, the docs are nice and most of the patients are healthy.

Least favorite is easy: OB/gyn. To paraphrase a very wise resident I know, there is a reason why the TV show "Survivor" has never had an episode with almost all women in it, and 'nuff said about that. :hungover: I also don't find women's health to be particularly interesting or enjoyable, either to learn about or to practice, and I don't particularly like babies. Crying newborns sound a lot like sheep bleating, and once one gets going, the whole nursery-full starts. I don't know how people can stand to listen to that all day. The first delivery I assisted with ended with the patient having a fourth degree laceration (extending from the vagina clear through to the anus), which was incredibly traumatic to watch happen. Her entire nether regions looked like raw hamburger, and I have no idea how the attending figured out what to suture together. (I actually asked, and she laughed and said you get to know after a while. But I secretly suspect that she just started suturing some tissue together randomly.) The gyn part was pretty similar to surgery, only with less variety in procedures. I liked that better than the OB.

I did both of those rotations at CCF, and I did other rotations at the VA and UH. I don't think it would have made my OB/gyn experience better if I had done it somewhere else. The Case students consistently rank that rotation the lowest at all three of the main sites. Plus, I think OB is just one of those fields that you either love or you hate. Like I said, it's really not my thing.

Least favorite is easy: OB/gyn. To paraphrase a very wise resident I know, there is a reason why the TV show "Survivor" has never had an episode with almost all women in it, and 'nuff said about that. :hungover: I also don't find women's health to be particularly interesting or enjoyable, either to learn about or to practice, and I don't particularly like babies. Crying newborns sound a lot like sheep bleating, and once one gets going, the whole nursery-full starts. I don't know how people can stand to listen to that all day. The first delivery I assisted with ended with the patient having a fourth degree laceration (extending from the vagina clear through to the anus), which was incredibly traumatic to watch happen. Her entire nether regions looked like raw hamburger, and I have no idea how the attending figured out what to suture together. (I actually asked, and she laughed and said you get to know after a while. But I secretly suspect that she just started suturing some tissue together randomly.)

That is hilarious and disgusting.

That is hilarious and disgusting.

+1

On another note, do you guys think it's okay to use the same essay for the research essay for the CP and the scholarly essay for the UP? I'm assuming since the question is very similar and the review processes are separate that it'd be okay, but if anybody has a reason to believe otherwise, please let me know. Thanks!

"Significant"? Please elaborate? Furthermore, which program are you referring to?

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

I don't have any publications or anything ... i just volunteered in a lab for a year ... i didn't have an individual project or anything either,, i just helped out the post-doc with his stuff

and i was referring to the regular md program

I don't have any publications or anything ... i just volunteered in a lab for a year ... i didn't have an individual project or anything either,, i just helped out the post-doc with his stuff

and i was referring to the regular md program

Several thoughts; first search for posts by me, and you will see a more lengthy discourse about how publication is not the goal or final measure of research worth for application. EDIT: Here's the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838967

Second, note that for the UP, the scholarly essay is optional, and there is no research essay (that's for cclcm).

Finally note that the prompt doesn't mean "academic medical research" is the only scholarly pursuit. I think a lot of people do interesting personal work or have a hobby that can satisfy this essay.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The first delivery I assisted with ended with the patient having a fourth degree laceration (extending from the vagina clear through to the anus), which was incredibly traumatic to watch happen. Her entire nether regions looked like raw hamburger, and I have no idea how the attending figured out what to suture together. (I actually asked, and she laughed and said you get to know after a while. But I secretly suspect that she just started suturing some tissue together randomly.)

:scared:

*puts down cheeseburger*

For the optional scholarly essay for the UP, how much technical/science detail should we include? Do most adcoms have a science background and would be able to understand some biology terminology? My research would definitely sound more impressive if I could fully describe it, but I also want to make sure I'm using appropriate language for the audience I'm writing to...

This question may have been asked already, but sifting through this thread got tiring, so I hope nobody minds if I ask.

How strict is the adcom with the "most challenging situation" essay? I personally don't think I've encountered any situations that would be challenging enough to warrant a 3500 character essay, and I certainly do not want to misconstrue my experiences.

Do you think it would be acceptable to write on a series of varied challenges, and how they have helped shape my life? Or would it be frowned upon as not directly following the prompt? :confused:

For the optional scholarly essay for the UP, how much technical/science detail should we include? Do most adcoms have a science background and would be able to understand some biology terminology? My research would definitely sound more impressive if I could fully describe it, but I also want to make sure I'm using appropriate language for the audience I'm writing to...
First, your word limit will ultimately define how much you can share.

You will find that people reading your essays may not have done wet-bench or clinical research, ever, even if they are an MD, or researcher. You cannot assume they have a background appropriate to understand your research 100% in the time allotted to evaluate your whole application. On the other hand, they may be the world expert in that field. :eek: Haha...don't screw up! Just kidding :smuggrin:

No but seriously, I would also advise (personally, IMHO, don't take this as set in stone) that you keep your explanation at 30,000 feet (a.k.a. the talking-over-cocktail-party with science-aware-but-non-expert peers level). I would also suggest you keep your acronyms/jargon to a minimum. Focus more on your participation in the research. You contributions, what you learned, how it impacted you, how it impacts your career path, what you hope to accomplish as a physician, etc..

To get a little philosophical: the ability to communicate technical information to a non-scientific audience is a HUGE part of being a physician. Everyday, as a physician, you will be asked by individual patients for your opinion about this next big diet fad, or some random study they heard about on a morning talk show that was mangled in their interpretation of the conclusions. Furthermore, if you expect to go into public policy, your expert opinion will hinge on how well you can articulate scholarly work of others.

To this end, this essay is a great example to show your communication skills. Can you explain your work, not only clearly, but succinctly? Can you keep the audience's attention?

Good luck.
:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.