2011-2012 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Duke's curriculum sounds both awesome and overwhelming at the same time. I hope some current students can give us some insight!

In the mean time, who else is applying to Duke? :thumbup:

Duke's curriculum sounds both awesome and overwhelming at the same time. I hope some current students can give us some insight!

In the mean time, who else is applying to Duke? :thumbup:

hey bookfreak, I MIGHT.....I've been around the hospital and such, I just don't feel it's a good fit for me after meeting some medical students. The curriculum seems "crammed", though students disagree. But I'll probably still apply here.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey bookfreak, I MIGHT.....I've been around the hospital and such, I just don't feel it's a good fit for me after meeting some medical students. The curriculum seems "crammed", though students disagree. But I'll probably still apply here.

Yeah, that was my concern, but the benefits seem to good to pass up: Dedicated research time/time to acquire a second degree, more time to study for Step I if you need it, more time to figure out what specialty you want to do and plan the appropriate electives/away rotations, etc. From what I have been reading, it seems that those schools that have a reduced pre-clinical curriculum have a slight edge in terms of having time to do electives needed for their specialty before submitting the ERAS. That's just my opinion, though. A current Duke Med student will probably shed some light on this issue. My only other issue with Duke is um..Durham. Maybe you can shed some light on that YNK? :laugh:

Yeah, that was my concern, but the benefits seem to good to pass up: Dedicated research time/time to acquire a second degree, more time to study for Step I if you need it, more time to figure out what specialty you want to do and plan the appropriate electives/away rotations, etc. From what I have been reading, it seems that those schools that have a reduced pre-clinical curriculum have a slight edge in terms of having time to do electives needed for their specialty before submitting the ERAS. That's just my opinion, though. A current Duke Med student will probably shed some light on this issue. My only other issue with Duke is um..Durham. Maybe you can shed some light on that YNK? :laugh:

I've lived in NC forever,there is nothing wrong with Durham haha.

I've lived in NC forever,there is nothing wrong with Durham haha.

Durham sucks. there is nothing to do in durham literally. The campus revolves around the undergrad campus.. and unless you want to go to a bunch of undergrad parties as a med student.. there isnt much to do. The closest "fun" place may be chapel hill, but other than that, think charlotte(2.5 hr drive) or outerbanks/myrtle beach, SC (2.5-3 hr drive)

but hey if youre bored to death maybe youll be more likely to study more.

Durham sucks. there is nothing to do in durham literally. The campus revolves around the undergrad campus.. and unless you want to go to a bunch of undergrad parties as a med student.. there isnt much to do. The closest "fun" place may be chapel hill, but other than that, think charlotte(2.5 hr drive) or outerbanks/myrtle beach, SC (2.5-3 hr drive)

ouch

You must go to car-hell-ina

Oh :/. That sucks that you guys are saying that about Durham. Might Duke be so hard/so much work that it not matter what there is in Durham because you need to study all the time :laugh:?

Can anyone comment on the LOR situation with duke? I know that they aren't a part of the AMCAS letter service, so do we just send our LORs separately with our secondaries?

yeah.. durham sucks.. but really.. what's wrong with UG parties? I'm not applying here.. too damn competitive!!

I've lived in Durham all my life, and yes, it does really suck. I'm attending college in a major city with an amazing nightlife/restaurant/cultural scene, and when I go home to visit my friends at Duke undergrad I'm always shocked at how little there is to do. Durham will definitely be a huge transition to anyone who's used to a big city...

Members don't see this ad :)
I like Duke, and (dare I say it, though I've never been there for long) Durham. Thoughts on diversity, though? It's one of my backlogged questions to ask if I manage to get an interview there. That said, Duke isn't the only school I'm curious about. Unfortunately, the MSAR only tells you so much.

I am a undergraduate student at Duke, and I am pretty offended by the repetitive statements here that "Durham sucks".

I'd like to point out that Durham has undergone an incredible rennovation in the last 3-4 years, and it is now home to the 14th best performing arts center in the country, DPAC ("Billy Elliot" started it's first leg of the tour there), and it consistenly, consistenly makes the top 10 lists of "best cities to live in America".

If you come to Durham looking for an upper-class big-city lifestyle, you've evidently come to Durham for the wrong reasons.

IF, however, you come to Durham to find an incredibly diverse population, (many LGBTQ individuals, ethnic minorities, etc. are represented in this city), and a relaxed atmosphere, this is definitely the city for you. The indie scene here is huge, the green-movement and local farming/co-ops here are really popular, etc.

There is even a FREE bus that connects Duke campus to the heart of Downtown Durham! It is called the Bull-City Connector and runs every 20 minutes or sooner. I've used it and it was one of the nicest buses I've ever been on.

Also, don't you study all the time in Medical School? ;) I doubt you'll need that much nightlife anyways, although it definitely exists if that is what you're looking for.

If you are looking for a really unique city experience, Durham is for you! Contact me if you have anymore questions about living in Durham.

Yo Megan,

Having also gone to college in an I-think-it's-awesome city that has a bad rep, I kinda know what you mean. I liked Durham, granted.

And to be fair, I hear there's a gay renaissance going on at the undergrad college these days. But that said, when I visited as a high school student... suffice it to say that, although I really liked the school itself, I had a couple of negative experiences that may have factored into my judgments a little. Plus, I have heard a few weary things from current and prospective med students that I think are worth addressing before committing (to a school I have little chance of getting into anyway, let's be real...).

Keep in mind, the undergrad pop is large enough to find your niche; the med school is very, very small in comparison, and so the people-specific discussions tend to have a bigger ripple. Whether or not med students are "studying all the time."

yeah, what is the deal with non-amcas LOR's?

+1 here. I haven't been able to find much about how Duke's LOR's differ from most other schools who use the AMCAS service. Can anyone shed light?

+1 here. I haven't been able to find much about how Duke's LOR's differ from most other schools who use the AMCAS service. Can anyone shed light?

According to my adviser, Duke uses virtual evals. So if you upload your letters to virtual evals to send to AMCAS, you can just have VE send your letters of rec to Duke.

i believe they do also use interfolio. weird though that they aren't on the amcas letter train.

Given the hard essay questions and not taking AMCAS letters, anyone get a feeling that the admissions office wants really badly to be different?

Given the hard essay questions and not taking AMCAS letters, anyone get a feeling that the admissions office wants really badly to be different?

I think they are weeding out "random" applicants and getting people that really want to apply to Duke and do a few extra things to show that commitment

Can we send our letters directly from Interfolio to Duke now or do we have to wait for an email asking to fill out the secondary/send letters?

Dear Shakespeare,

As you consider your medical school options, I want to make sure you are aware of a very exciting opportunity - Duke University School of Medicine presence in Singapore: Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. This is a partnership between Duke University and the leading University in Asia, National University of Singapore (NUS).

The Duke-NUS 4 year MD program follows the Duke University School of Medicine curriculum and students are awarded a joint degree from Duke and NUS. This is the only MD degree that Duke awards outside of the US.

Learn more about the webinar

I encourage you to sign up for the upcoming Info Webinar on July 12th, Tuesday, 9:30pm (EST), 6:30pm (PST) when Mr Samuel Ang, Manager of Student Recruitment can explain how this unique program can be a right fit for you.

As the Duke-NUS Website is currently going through an upgrade, there is no need for registration at the website at the current time.

Duke-NUS' application is FREE and application deadline closes on December 1st. Please note that their application is not on the AMCAS system, and you will need to apply separately.

You may also visit their website for more detailed information on admission requirements or their Facebook page to learn more about school life.

Alternatively, you can email or call me if you have any questions about the program. I wish you all the best in your medical school selection.

With kind regards,
, PhD
Singapore Education and Student Life Liaison
Duke University School of Medicine

Anyone else get this email?

Dear Shakespeare,

As you consider your medical school options, I want to make sure you are aware of a very exciting opportunity - Duke University School of Medicine presence in Singapore: Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. This is a partnership between Duke University and the leading University in Asia, National University of Singapore (NUS).

The Duke-NUS 4 year MD program follows the Duke University School of Medicine curriculum and students are awarded a joint degree from Duke and NUS. This is the only MD degree that Duke awards outside of the US.

Learn more about the webinar

I encourage you to sign up for the upcoming Info Webinar on July 12th, Tuesday, 9:30pm (EST), 6:30pm (PST) when Mr Samuel Ang, Manager of Student Recruitment can explain how this unique program can be a right fit for you.

As the Duke-NUS Website is currently going through an upgrade, there is no need for registration at the website at the current time.

Duke-NUS' application is FREE and application deadline closes on December 1st. Please note that their application is not on the AMCAS system, and you will need to apply separately.

You may also visit their website for more detailed information on admission requirements or their Facebook page to learn more about school life.

Alternatively, you can email or call me if you have any questions about the program. I wish you all the best in your medical school selection.

With kind regards,
, PhD
Singapore Education and Student Life Liaison
Duke University School of Medicine

Anyone else get this email?
No, you're the only person who got it.

No, you're the only person who got it.

My sarcasm detector is in the red. I was wondering if it was only sent to Duke applicants, if it was a "Thinking about Duke? Try this instead." email, or just general recruiting pap. Any ideas on that, smart guy?

My sarcasm detector is in the red. I was wondering if it was only sent to Duke applicants, if it was a "Thinking about Duke? Try this instead." email, or just general recruiting pap. Any ideas on that, smart guy?

your meter is finely tuned, ya i got it to. :thumbup: no shot at heading to Singapore though.

your meter is finely tuned, ya i got it to. :thumbup: no shot at heading to Singapore though.

well I applied to Duke and haven't gotten it...

Unrelated, but does anyone know if I might have an advantage because I did research at Duke?

Shakespeare 37 and DISCOSTEW, I'm applying to Duke as well and my application was just made available to my chosen schools this week, (a little behind the schedule I planned). When did you guys get the notice that your info was distributed, and how long between then and when you got any kind of acknowledgement from Duke, (if the "Hey, try Singapore" message could be considered an acknowledgement...).

Shakespeare 37 and DISCOSTEW, I'm applying to Duke as well and my application was just made available to my chosen schools this week, (a little behind the schedule I planned). When did you guys get the notice that your info was distributed, and how long between then and when you got any kind of acknowledgement from Duke, (if the "Hey, try Singapore" message could be considered an acknowledgement...).

My app was sent to Duke on the 17th of June. I got the Singapore email today, 30 June. Other than that, I've had zero from them.

I just received the invite to the Duke secondary. However, when I try to register after typing in my personal information, the link that I click doesn't work. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I just received the invite to the Duke secondary. However, when I try to register after typing in my personal information, the link that I click doesn't work. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Happening to me also.

Everyone check your Spam folder. I just looked and found the email. Sender is "[email protected]." Even the most careless of filters would probably catch that. If you didn't receive it, don't worry. According to the MSAR, all applicants will get it.

lol did anybody elses e-mail have a ton of spelling mistakes and the use of the word "to" instead of "two" was kinda funny reading that e-mail

+4, link also not working for me. Did anybody else's invite email have random exclamation marks?

I also got that Singapore info thing from Duke. Maybe they send it to people with high MCATs, like when WashU sends you a brochure for their school. But yea...don't really feel like going to Singapore.

Last edited:
lol probably wont get fixed til after the holiday everyones probably at home...no worries just relax and enjoy the 4th of july then show duke u know ur grammar by not putting in random !s in ur essays! :p

Unfortunately cutting and pasting a Word document to a text box can produce question marks and quotes in some odd places. This is frequently the case when we read essays that were created in word and transported to the text box in the application. It may be a flaw in Word or may be a flaw in the way our data base was created. The point is, it's not an issue that causes great concern because everyone is aware that technology is not nor will it ever be perfect!

Speaking of holidays, Richard Wallace, the associate director of admissions responsible for processing fee waivers, is out until July 25th. Pretty much means that poor applicants won't get reviewed until August.

That's what they get for being poor.

P.S. That dude under you, woodbury151, claims to be Richard Wallace.

Spoke too soon. Mr. Wallace must be working on his holiday.
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.