2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All the best guys!! Remember to share your good news and I'm gonna cross my fingers for you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I wish i had found this thread earlier so I could give you guys updates.

I interviewed early Jan and got my offer around 1 month later (early Feb) even though they said they take about 2 weeks to arrive at a decision. I know of someone who interviewed very early last yr and got his offer in Dec. Another 2 friends interviewed in early Dec and got their offers just before CNY.

If you haven't heard from them, don't lose hope because you are most likely on the holding/waiting list. If those offered a place choose not to accept, you may be receiving an offer soon!

Hope to see you guys in class!

I was also interviewed early Jan this year, but no news as of now. Where was your interview held?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I wish i had found this thread earlier so I could give you guys updates.

I interviewed early Jan and got my offer around 1 month later (early Feb) even though they said they take about 2 weeks to arrive at a decision. I know of someone who interviewed very early last yr and got his offer in Dec. Another 2 friends interviewed in early Dec and got their offers just before CNY.

If you haven't heard from them, don't lose hope because you are most likely on the holding/waiting list. If those offered a place choose not to accept, you may be receiving an offer soon!

that marks about 4 more slots offered, coupled with those we know already. i think approximately 20 slots (at least) are offered by now.

Mind sharing the stats of those accepted?

it seems like those who got accepted already got their offers within a month after the interview; gives me a bad feeling about my chances considering I've waited for 5 months now!

it seems like those who got accepted already got their offers within a month after the interview; gives me a bad feeling about my chances considering I've waited for 5 months now!

On the bright side, the fact of not recieving a rejection letter to date shows that you are competitive enough for them to still hold on to right?

Mind sharing the stats of those accepted?

I'm not comfortable revealing individual personal stats. i didn't ask in detail too, so i'll just speak in general terms...

all BSc (first class honours / GPA>3.8)
extensive research experience (more than just a couple of summers)
some/minimal clinical shadowing
competitive MCAT scores (ranges from low 30s to very high 30s)
some volunteering work

Congrats on the acceptance! Mind sharing if you hold an advanced degree? (Masters or above) :)

Thx! as you can see from above, you don't really need an advanced degree to get in. but i guess if your bachelor's degree is not very strong, then an advanced degree would help?

I'm not comfortable revealing individual personal stats. i didn't ask in detail too, so i'll just speak in general terms...

all BSc (first class honours / GPA>3.8)
extensive research experience (more than just a couple of summers)
some/minimal clinical shadowing
competitive MCAT scores (ranges from low 30s to very high 30s)
some volunteering work

Thx! as you can see from above, you don't really need an advanced degree to get in. but i guess if your bachelor's degree is not very strong, then an advanced degree would help?

In actual fact, I feel if your bachelor's degree isn't very fantastic, getting an advance degree will definitely help as you will then be competing against those who share the same qualification as you (which most probably reduces your competition significantly).

I wonder, if there's a student with high MCAT score but below average bachelor degree, will he/she still stand a chance against others?

In actual fact, I feel if your bachelor's degree isn't very fantastic, getting an advance degree will definitely help as you will then be competing against those who share the same qualification as you (which most probably reduces your competition significantly).

I wonder, if there's a student with high MCAT score but below average bachelor degree, will he/she still stand a chance against others?

It's possible. Remember, the stats posted represent only those who were offered early acceptance. Just because your stats are not as competitive doesn't mean you won't have a chance for regular acceptance - otherwise you would have been accepted already. I'm just wondering if these early acceptances are mainly given to Singaporeans or not. North Americans with those stats would likely be accepted to a good program in US and will also likely to attend a domestic school than an IMG one, meaning there would be more open spots for folks on waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought US schools don't care much about GPA. MCATs are more emphasized ?

well, my interviewer asked my GPA and he said it is really impressive and then asked my mcat score and he looked kinda disappointed haha. so i guess both of them are important

noooooooo, definitely not. GPAs in US medical schools are through the roof.

Hi all! New to the forum! I suppose GPAs are important but it isn't everything right?

After all the vice dean of Duke-NUS did say "We don't just want the straight ‘A' student. Does having one less ‘A' make you less of a person? We know Singaporeans are already great at memorising facts – we're looking for passion, dedication and the ability to see a problem through different angles."

So I suppose, knowing your other more important strengths and being able to market on them helps? Just my two cents though...

By the way isn't it odd that this thread is in grouped in China and Eastern Asia... Singapore is in South East Asia... =x

Hi all! New to the forum! I suppose GPAs are important but it isn't everything right?

After all the vice dean of Duke-NUS did say "We don’t just want the straight ‘A’ student. Does having one less ‘A’ make you less of a person? We know Singaporeans are already great at memorising facts – we’re looking for passion, dedication and the ability to see a problem through different angles."

So I suppose, knowing your other more important strengths and being able to market on them helps? Just my two cents though...

By the way isn't it odd that this thread is in grouped in China and Eastern Asia... Singapore is in South East Asia... =x

I fully agree!

hi guys! sorry for being mia for sooooo long. i finally have time to breathe now. :X

any updates, anybody? :D

Hey all, I received an email from Duke NUS today informing me that my 'access to financial aid application is now unlocked'. Anyone else received that email?

oOoo!! Does this mean you heard good news, sweetsecrets? :):):)

to delilas: I got that message awhile ago and it was someone in the financial aid department asking me to update something on my financial aid application. I think someone will e-mail you shortly about what to fix?

Has anyone heard anything? It's coming out in a week right? So nervous!

oOoo!! Does this mean you heard good news, sweetsecrets? :):):)

to delilas: I got that message awhile ago and it was someone in the financial aid department asking me to update something on my financial aid application. I think someone will e-mail you shortly about what to fix?

Has anyone heard anything? It's coming out in a week right? So nervous!

no. :( sad.

yeah i have a hunch it's coming out in a week. i am not too sure though. :X things are pretty unpredictable this year. :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those of you still waiting for replies :xf:

Last edited:
Happy Easter everyone! I have a feeling the results are coming out this week, good luck everyone!

All the best to all who are waiting for their replies from Duke-NUS. This week is the week where our application status wil be made known to us. Good luck everybody.

May the odds be always in your favor.

Good luck everyone! I hope everyone's hard work pays off!

All the best to all who are waiting for their replies from Duke-NUS. This week is the week where our application status wil be made known to us. Good luck everybody.

May the odds be always in your favor.

haha. is it really this week? cause the last time I asked, they said they hope to form by end of this month... Just wondering, cause what if someone don't receive anything at all? Is that good or bad news? :oops:

haha. is it really this week? cause the last time I asked, they said they hope to form by end of this month... Just wondering, cause what if someone don't receive anything at all? Is that good or bad news? :oops:

Not likely I guess. Recalling what I was told two weeks back, I was told that latest by this week, they will notify the remaining applicants on their status (accepted/waiting list/ rejected). The previous weeks were used to generate the relevant letters which will be sent out to the respective applicants.

In the event you do not receive anything, you might wanna give them a call.

Meanwhile, let's keep our :xf:
Cheers :luck:

Any news, anybody?

Good luck guys! This is so nerve-wrecking. :(

Do you guys think it's too late at this point to update admissions on new publications or abstracts? I have a paper and abstract that got accepted today, and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to update. If so, what's the best way to do so? Just send an email?

doesn't hurt to try :) send an email and call.

Rejected. BEng and MSc from NTU. 32M mcat. Best of luck to everyone.

Oh no! I'm so sorry... You received the letter about your rejection? it's a pity cos your stats are really good.

Oh no! I'm so sorry... You received the letter about your rejection? it's a pity cos your stats are really good.

Yeah. Just got it this afternoon. Was dated 4th April though. Guess this class has got some serious firepower.

Yeah. Just got it this afternoon. Was dated 4th April though. Guess this class has got some serious firepower.

Yeah! You have fabulous stats! Don't give up! People who persist eventually succeed!! Best of luck to you!!!

WOW. This is so disheartening. If someone with a Masters and stats like that can't get in, what chance does an undergraduate have. o_O"

Are all rejection via snail mail? How about acceptances? (can anyone comment on getting acceptance via email?)

Someone local posted saying they do get acceptance letters via email...

Are all rejection via snail mail? How about acceptances? (can anyone comment on getting acceptance via email?)

From what i heard, yes all rejections are via snail mail. Acceptances are all notified via email and then a snail mail will come along. :X

Oh man.. this is really nerve wrecking. No emails from them at all till now.. does that means i've got no chance?? :(

I hope they are not sending the results to us North Americans by mail.....that's going to take awhile....

Yeah I was a north American applicant and it was sent by snail mail...

So..... it's safe to assume that if we don't hear back by email this week, there's probably a rejection letter coming via snail mail? ...

Hey I got my rejection letter too... For those who has yet to receive anything, press on ! Hope is still in the air !

Hey I got my rejection letter too... For those who has yet to receive anything, press on ! Hope is still in the air !
sigh... sounds so depressing.. are you north american applicant?