2011-2012 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone here

I have been following this thread and this forum for quite a while but had not posted anything because I was so nervous and stressed out about my application. I have worked for a few years, have a family and my stats are not anything stellar. Compared to many of you here, I did not see my chance as even average although I do know that I have my own strenths in certain ways and my passion for medicine is real and strong.

My point is, I received my offer email yesterday and I saw it this morning the first thing when I checked my email! I literally cried...

Look forward to seeing many of you in the coming semester!

Good luck to everyone and it has been very helpful reading all your posts~

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone here

I have been following this thread and this forum for quite a while but had not posted anything because I was so nervous and stressed out about my application. I have worked for a few years, have a family and my stats are not anything stellar. Compared to many of you here, I did not see my chance as even average although I do know that I have my own strenths in certain ways and my passion for medicine is real and strong.

My point is, I received my offer email yesterday and I saw it this morning the first thing when I checked my email! I literally cried...

congrats! did you apply for early admission? Are you North American applicant?

congrats! did you apply for early admission? Are you North American applicant?

I did not apply for early admission. That is why I was so shocked when I saw the email (I blanked out for a couple of seconds). I submitted my application end Nov, interviewed early Dec which is 1 month ago.

I am not North American applicant. I am in Singapore.

Still in shock, but happily :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow congrats ftt608. they called you for an interview within one week? When is your applicants' day? :X

wow congrats ftt608. they called you for an interview within one week? When is your applicants' day? :X

I submited my application very late on 28 Nov midnight (technically 29 Nov morning), and they called me at about 10am while I was still sleeping... So maybe I was lucky that it happened to be the day they check through applications. They asked me if I can come to Dec 6 Applicant day so I agreed because I was not that busy in Dec although it only left me a week to prepare.

fft608, yeah i know. But it seems like people who got accepted already have at least a masters. And I'm starting to worry now cause I'm still in my honours year. :(

yeah it seems that most of people who got accepted are masters and locals...

fft608, yeah i know. But it seems like people who got accepted already have at least a masters. And I'm starting to worry now cause I'm still in my honours year. :(

It is still early. If you look at the threads of the past few years, most offers were sent out late Mar to Apr, some even in May. I totally understand the pain of waiting which I speculated I would have to endure until Apr. I never expected to be accepted so early. Please hang on there, finish your Honors nicely, and get ready for the good news!

Being in your Honors year is indeed a great advantage! You get to start immediately after your graduation and you are YOUNG~

Members don't see this ad :)
btw how many acceptance do you know up to date?

yup they are at least a masters if i didn't remember wrongly. i know of 5, including you. :X i'm young hmm well yeah but i think i lack alot of wisdom and experience compared to all of you. congrats anyway! really happy for you guys. :) though i'm starting to get very worried. :X

oh and someone mentioned that in november when he/she went for the applicant's day, that Dr. Kamei mentioned that about 20+ acceptances were offered already. I don't know if it's true. Competition is really stiff this year it seems. :(

Last edited:
yup they are at least a masters if i didn't remember wrongly. i know of 5, including you. :X i'm young hmm well yeah but i think i lack alot of wisdom and experience compared to all of you. congrats anyway! really happy for you guys. :) though i'm starting to get very worried. :X

Get yourself really busy so that you won't have time to worry! That was what I did before I received the letter... It works, and I don't think it is difficult for you in your final year~ Try to do everything perfectly and update the ad comm when you have any new achievements! I am sure they will value that. Are you local or from America?

I'm local. Yeah I just sent them yet another transcript to update on last semester's results. Hopefully my paper would be published soon. I will check with my professor if it's out already again. It's a little difficult haha because all i think about is med-school. x.x

Hi everyone here

Congrats! The adcom have certainly seen your strengths and passion.. Out of curiousity, are you currently a researcher or have any research related experience? Because I think they do highly value these.. Also, were you offered financial package along with the offer email?

I'm local. Yeah I just sent them yet another transcript to update on last semester's results. Hopefully my paper would be published soon. I will check with my professor if it's out already again. It's a little difficult haha because all i think about is med-school. x.x

Agree its tough to focus.. worse when my working environment is a constant reminder of my application.. keep getting the question abt my application outcome.. hehehe (bitter laugh)

Congrats! The adcom have certainly seen your strengths and passion.. Out of curiousity, are you currently a researcher or have any research related experience? Because I think they do highly value these.. Also, were you offered financial package along with the offer email?

No I am not a researcher and my only research experience is my honors year project which I screwed up totally - explains why I see my chance as "merely"...

Financial package has yet to come, which I am looking forward to ~

No I am not a researcher and my only research experience is my honors year project which I screwed up totally - explains why I see my chance as "merely"...

Financial package has yet to come, which I am looking forward to ~

Well the tough part is over! Waiting for this shd be easier..:)

Dear Friends,

I found your e mail address on the web and I need some pieces of information from you.
I would like to study medecine in a foreig college, maybe USA or UK, but I would prefer to prepare me to the ammissio exam attending a pre medical course, in order to be able to prepare my self for the best to the exam.
Could you suggest me the name of some association that organises pre-medical courses to the access to the college?
I will be waiting for your aswer,

thanks in advance,

Best,

Gabriella

Dear Friends,

I found your e mail address on the web and I need some pieces of information from you.
I would like to study medecine in a foreig college, maybe USA or UK, but I would prefer to prepare me to the ammissio exam attending a pre medical course, in order to be able to prepare my self for the best to the exam.
Could you suggest me the name of some association that organises pre-medical courses to the access to the college?
I will be waiting for your aswer,

thanks in advance,

Best,

Gabriella
well i don't really understand your question. there is no such thing as pre medical course. The major you choose in the college does not really matter as long as you take the required classes for med schools. I think you misunderstand the medical school system in the U.S.
If you are asking about MCAT which is the test that you need to take before applying to med schools, yeah there are several private institutes such as KAPLAN or Princeton Review. But i don't recommend that because it is too expensive and inefficient. Most of applicants study by themselves because you learn the basic stuffs during college. You just need to buy several MCAT practice books and study.
Are you undergraduate?

Last edited:
It's a brand new week to all of you who're waiting as well. Let's cross our fingers. :) Remember to share any good news you get!

anyone here interviewed in Durham on Dec 21?

Any idea if there are more interview days coming up? Or if they will interview you before they recieve MCAT results?

Submitted everything and they allowed me to take MCAT again so...

Sitting for MCAT next fri.. :) :xf:

And I guess the long wait continues... :)

I was accepted at the beginning of December but I am a North American applicant and I don't have a masters. I finished undergrad last May.

I was accepted at the beginning of December but I am a North American applicant and I don't have a masters. I finished undergrad last May.

You're a re-applicant dude, thumbs up for your determination. :) Really glad for you. All the best to the rest of you!

Any idea if there are more interview days coming up? Or if they will interview you before they recieve MCAT results?

Submitted everything and they allowed me to take MCAT again so...

Sitting for MCAT next fri.. :) :xf:

And I guess the long wait continues... :)

Hi nightsnack, i believe there are more interview days. from previous thread, it seems like there are interview dates up to as late as apr. the interview will be scheduled after they recieve mcat results though.. did you apply for the regular admission deadline? good luck for tmr ;)

Hello everyone,

I'm so glad I found this sub-forum on SDN! I'm applying this year for 2013 admission, and taking MCAT this July. For those of you accepted already, care to share your GPA and MCAT? My cGPA is 3.49, sGPA 3.80 with some research. I definitely want to try to score 30+ on the MCAT, and if you guys are not comfortable in sharing your score, is 30+ going to be competitive enough for early admission?

hi thelullaby99, you can see the general profile of students that DN had admitted through the past years from their facebook page.. 30+ should be competitive enough, of course bearing in mind that there are other qualities in your application that will be considered.

It's been difficult to track these people! My cgpa isn't too respectable for my choice of major (3.49), thus I'm hoping to redeem myself in the MCAT department. You say 30+ should be competitive enough? Have you been accepted (sorry if too personal)? I'm worried that my ECs are kind of lacking too, with some volunteering in a hospice (a semester), research (summer), some position at my club, and more clinical volunteering + shadowing which I'm still trying to get!

I wish.. yet to recieve THE offer though, but keeping positive thoughts.. I do believe that mcat is only one of the selection criteria.. but then my status of yet to be accepted may undermine my credibility.. I'll confirm this when I recieve my offer. Anyway, didn't have stellar credentials but was invited for the interview too. Getting some first hand experience in clinical settings and interacting with patients will undoubtedly boost your application.

I think many of us applied to only one. HAHA. um, correct me if i'm wrong, but at least for me it's the only one i'm applying to. All the best with your application!

I believe they will start sending acceptance letters from this week! It is what they did last year and in 2009 according to the previous forums..
Hope you guys to get a good answer soon, too! :)

Hey Huddy, you got your acceptance?
No still waiting. I just asked them if my application was dropped into the normal pool but they said they cannot say anything at this point :( i don't know what's going on haha

No still waiting. I just asked them if my application was dropped into the normal pool but they said they cannot say anything at this point :( i don't know what's going on haha

Did you recieve the email regarding active review? I guess by now all our applications shd have been rolled over to regular.. And in comparison to previous threads, this year seems to have less member postings.. don't you think so?

Oh you mean you didn't receive the general email saying that you have been moved to the regular pool? :x

Oh you mean you didn't receive the general email saying that you have been moved to the regular pool? :x
no i didn't. and i asked them but they said they cannot tell me if i'm moved to the regular pool but it is still in active review.. so i'm very confused o_O

and for Nutsie, yeah. the number of posts are much less than the previous years. i hope more people to share their status here

no i didn't. and i asked them but they said they cannot tell me if i'm moved to the regular pool but it is still in active review.. so i'm very confused o_O

and for Nutsie, yeah. the number of posts are much less than the previous years. i hope more people to share their status here

hope for the best.. this mth shd have more acceptance emails i hope... the number of us posting here are countable.. it is so quiet and i keep hoping that there would be more updates.. In previous years, there seems to be more inside news... haha

Yup. It's been so quiet haha I have been saying that since months ago! I have a feeling people could be reading and just not posting. :X

I applied for early acceptance too but have yet to receive anything after interview early dec.

I applied for early acceptance too but have yet to receive anything after interview early dec.

welcome pitza.. join us in our wait for the letter.. start of a new day and hopefully it'll bring us some good news :)

so i was not the only one.. it makes me feel better at least

anyone here interviewed in Durham on Dec 21?
Will123, I think we interviewed on the same day. Durham on the 21st? I'm a North American applicant, waiting on a decision as well. Best of luck to everyone here!