2011-2012 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gave up my acceptance, good luck to those on the wait-list! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It's been pretty quiet here....

I was waitlisted in November (top 1/3 and OOS)...still chillin' in the same spot :| .....uggghhh

me too brah, waitlisted in december (top 1/3, ops) hopefully we will get the acceptances later in the year. good luck mang,

me too brah, waitlisted in december (top 1/3, ops) hopefully we will get the acceptances later in the year. good luck mang,

yeah man. Good luck!

And thanks to all those who decline their acceptances early !

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah man. Good luck!

And thanks to all those who decline their acceptances early !

yea forgot to mention big thanks to all those who decline their acceptances early. :)

Speaking of acceptances (I hope), on my interview day, they told us that they would make a decision in 2-3 weeks. Will we receive an e-mail notification, or do we have to call the admissions office to learn our status?

Speaking of acceptances (I hope), on my interview day, they told us that they would make a decision in 2-3 weeks. Will we receive an e-mail notification, or do we have to call the admissions office to learn our status?

You'll find out by mail about 4 weeks after your interview. Big packet = Good; Small letter = wait list.

Also, you can call about two weeks after your interview and they will let you know over the phone. If you're wait listed, ask to see what third they placed you in.

Very helpful. Thanks so much for responding!

So, can someone help me with my calculations here....

According to US World and News
320 OOS people interviewed --->149 were accepted --->51 eventually enrolled

Can we discern how many people who were accepted were pulled from the WL with these numbers? Or that's just impossible to know...?

How large do we assume the WL to be? In past threads, people calling in have inquired about this and it has been theorized that 300-350 ppl are on the WL. And if the WL is divided into thirds, does that also mean 100-115 people per third?

Just FYI, they accept 136 IS and 149 OOS students. More OOS than IS:eek:

Just FYI, they accept 136 IS and 149 OOS students. More OOS than IS:eek:

Presumably more OOS are accepted because the acceptance numbers you quote include the WL, which will move considerably more for OOS students (away from home, more expensive, etc).

Presumably more OOS are accepted because the acceptance numbers you quote include the WL, which will move considerably more for OOS students (away from home, more expensive, etc).

Does that mean that 149 OOS students are accepted once everything is said and done (regular acceptance + waitlist acceptance)?

Withdrew acceptance, OOS. Good luck everyone, EVMS is a great school!

Members don't see this ad :)
interview invite this morning. I am actually rather curious to see what virginia is like! Really going to have to think about whether or not I am willing to shell out travel expenses to see a state. Grats to everyone else :)

Last edited:
interview invite this morning. I am actually rather curious to see what virginia is like! Really going to have to think about whether or not I am willing to shell out travel expenses to see a state. Grats to everyone else :)

I'm in the same boat--OOS and just got an interview invite.

I already have an acceptance elsewhere. Anyone have any reasons why I should shell out $500 for a flight and miss two days of work for this school? I don't have any ties to the area, and really only applied because my stats matched up fairly well. The tuition here scares me a bit!

Has anyone who interviewed in early Jan. called to find out their status?

I interviewed second week of Jan.. No decision yet. I called. And I already had an acceptance before the interview but my ticket was booked before I received the acceptance...Ticket was $400. I don't regret going but I don't think I would've gone had the interview invite came later.

Last edited:
Had they made a decision yet? I'm interested in hearing because I interviewed later in the same week.

Read over the interview feedback for EVMS- they tend to ask a lot of ethical questions. It matters less what your answer is, and more that you can reason through scenarios and defend your stance. Since there will be 3 interviewers in the room at once, make sure you give all of them equal eye contact and pay equal consideration to their questions.

Some people said that their interviews here were very difficult, but mine was very relaxed conversational, so don't get freaked out. Be sure you can identify weaknesses in your application and explain them so if they bring them up, you have an answer ready.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Do they actually rank the wait list or is everyone put into the top third?

one of my friends/someone who interviewed on my same day got placed in middle third, so it's ranked

I interviewed at EVMS 1/20/12, called today - no decision has been made yet (better than bad news I guess)...anybody else interview that day and already hear news? :scared:

Hey Everybody,

I used to post on here all the time to let students know that I can answer their questions about EVMS. I can probably sit here and type line after line after line of reasons why EVMS is a fantastic medical school, but I don't have that luxury anymore! Anyways, I urge you to go to our website (which will be changing in a few months to be much more navigable) and look at our match lists from past years. Students repeatedly match into their top choices for location and specialty. Our Step 1 average last year was 228 with the national average at 222. There is a list of school averages on the pre-med forum. I'm not sure if the data is accurate at other schools, but this is ours from the most recent year.

Of course, those aren't and shouldn't be the only things you look at to base your decision on medical school. When you come for interview day, ask questions about our student outreach to the community (community service activities) and our international trips. We may be small, but our student body is very active in volunteer services.

We may not have a big name outside of the state, but you will get an excellent education here. I am OOS and I can give those of you who are applying from elsewhere a different perspective. Send me a message if you want to talk. I won't be on here often enough to check posts.

Good luck!

I interviewed at EVMS 1/20/12, called today - no decision has been made yet (better than bad news I guess)...anybody else interview that day and already hear news? :scared:

I interviewed 1/18, called Thursday, and was told no decision. Not sure when they meet this week but I'm guessing we should be up for review.

Anyone know if they like LOIs for those waitlisted and if it's a good time to send now or wait until later after all acceptances are out.

Is the $100 deposit to hold your acceptance refundable should you decide not to attend EVMS? I'm thrilled to be accepted here, but I am holding out a little hope to be accepted into a CA school.

Anyone know if they like LOIs for those waitlisted and if it's a good time to send now or wait until later after all acceptances are out.

I sent mine recently. You can do so now, or wait until later.

Is the $100 deposit to hold your acceptance refundable should you decide not to attend EVMS? I'm thrilled to be accepted here, but I am holding out a little hope to be accepted into a CA school.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Did you get confirmation of receipt? I didnt, thinking maybe I should call.

I never got a confirmation of receipt, but I did call and confirm about a week later. I think they print out your letter and place it in your folder.

To whom did you send the LOI to? The email address from whom the interview invite came from or someone else?

Thanks!

I just sent it to dr. solhaug. You can search for his email address on their faculty website (not to comfortable putting private email addresses on this forum). I addressed it to him as well. Good luck!

Just got the interview invite phone call! February 29th. Leap Year Day. RUH ROH.

Does anybody know if I'm basically inteviewing for WL spot at this point, since it's relatively late in the game? Thanks!

Accepted OOS. Interviewed 1/18. Floppenheims r good.

Not only are they good, they're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. Congrats! You deserve it!:thumbup:

IS, interviewed 1/20/12. Called today, wait-listed in the upper 1/3. Does anyone know how much movement we should expect on the waiting list in between now and May 15th?

Just got the interview invite phone call! February 29th. Leap Year Day. RUH ROH.

Does anybody know if I'm basically inteviewing for WL spot at this point, since it's relatively late in the game? Thanks!

Hey, I'm interviewing that same day. I was waitlisted last year and then some stuff went on over the summer and i screwed up my app but got a shot at another interview. From talking to dr. solhaug, he made it seem as if the class was already going to be full or close to full by this point and it would be more so for a waitlist spot. Hopefully there will be some good movement on the waitlist. I was waitlisted in the upper 1/3rd last year (IS) and there wasn't much movement at all and I didn't get the acceptance. Also, their waitlist works a bit different than you might think. They pull from all 3rds of the waitlist when selecting applicants to fill spots. In other words, one would think that they would go through all the applicants in the top 1/3rd, then middle 1/3rd an then bottom 1/3rd, but that's not how it works.

Hey, I'm interviewing that same day. I was waitlisted last year and then some stuff went on over the summer and i screwed up my app but got a shot at another interview. From talking to dr. solhaug, he made it seem as if the class was already going to be full or close to full by this point and it would be more so for a waitlist spot. Hopefully there will be some good movement on the waitlist. I was waitlisted in the upper 1/3rd last year (IS) and there wasn't much movement at all and I didn't get the acceptance. Also, their waitlist works a bit different than you might think. They pull from all 3rds of the waitlist when selecting applicants to fill spots. In other words, one would think that they would go through all the applicants in the top 1/3rd, then middle 1/3rd an then bottom 1/3rd, but that's not how it works.

:eek:

But then why would they separate us into thirds? I know they try to replace someone off the WL with similar demographics as the person who declined their acceptance, but why take someone from the mid-1/3 when a similar person is probably chillin' in the top 1/3?

Status
Not open for further replies.