2011-2012 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished my interview! Sudden major stress reduction.

Hey how do you mind sharing how it went? Mine's tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous for the panel style interview. Did they each ask you questions and was it open file? Thank you!! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

:eek:

But then why would they separate us into thirds? I know they try to replace someone off the WL with similar demographics as the person who declined their acceptance, but why take someone from the mid-1/3 when a similar person is probably chillin' in the top 1/3?

well, as you already said, the demographics issue plays a role in it for starters. I was also told that certain "intangibles" could push an applicant off the waitlist regardless of where they sit. This could be due to someone on the bottom 1/3rd having certain life experiences and what not to propel them off the waitlist. They don't number the applicants on the waitlist. I was told they keep anywhere from 10-20 files open and when someone declines an acceptance, they go through the 20 or so open files and choose a replacement that matches up with the person who declined.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have been accepted, did you receive a background check a few days after you were notified of acceptance?

Anyone from 2/4 interview heard back from mail or phone call? Thanks for any info!

...Anyone hear back who interviewed on 2/3??

I do not think you guys of 2/3 or 2/4 will hear back for another week. I interviewed 1/27 and when I called on Monday, they told me to check again Friday.

Have they been giving more acceptances in the past few weeks or has it predominantly been wait list spots or rejections? I know the most movement will occur after May 15, but that's so far away!!

So i just called and found out I am wait-listed (upper 1/3) interviewed 2/3...any advice as to how I can turn this wait list into an acceptance?? thanks!!! :)

I received an acceptance letter on the 11th of February, so it looks like acceptances are still going out. Good luck!

Have they been giving more acceptances in the past few weeks or has it predominantly been wait list spots or rejections? I know the most movement will occur after May 15, but that's so far away!!

you should basically be showing interest and keeping them updated but read through past waitlist threads for more details on how other people have gone about it and their experiences

So i just called and found out I am wait-listed (upper 1/3) interviewed 2/3...any advice as to how I can turn this wait list into an acceptance?? thanks!!! :)

You interviewed after me and you got your decision way before me. I just called them today and no decision yet, I wonder what is going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Freed up a spot for somebody. Good luck everybody!

Just called as well--waitlisted, interviewed 2/8. Better than a rejection!

Hey everyone! Since this thread is pretty active, I figured I'd use it to let everyone know that I have made an acceptance thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=890990) and a Facebook group (search for Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) Class of 2016) for anyone that has received an acceptance and is looking to reach out to some other students that were accepted.

Although I haven't made a final decision yet, I am leaning very strongly towards this school.

As such, I have begun to look for housing so that I can get the jump on some desirable real estate. It would be easier to gauge the size / type of housing to pursue if I had the opportunity to meet some other interested students.

Personally, I like the idea of sharing a small house with several other students (ie. 4). Based on the accounts of my friends in medical school, most people tend to study at the school or in libraries (which is how I study). Thus, I think it would be nice to retreat to a house with a little more space at the end of the day (instead of an apartment). I also found that sharing a house may actually be cheaper than renting an apartment once costs are split.

Even if you are not currently looking for housing, I don't think it would be a bad idea to make contact before school starts. Feel free to message me anytime!

To all other applicants, best of luck with your application and your interviews! I found that my interview was extremely laid back. I had a very positive overall experience while visiting the school, and I felt very at home in the town of Norfolk. I hope that you will feel the same! Again, feel free to message me with questions you may have.

- Mike

So I've been looking around and I found out that the associate dean of admissions has changed from Dr. Michael Solhaug to Dr. Donald Meyer :eek:

Do you guys think that this will change the way they select students from the WL come later this month?

For all the students that have interviewed recently, did you ever see or speak with Dr. Solhaug or was it Dr. Meyer instead?

Thnx

I heard somewhere that the average age of a matriculating student at EVMS is a bit older than at most schools, which is something I like considering I am an older non-traditional student. I'm hoping that this translates into the administration having more experience dealing with students who are pregnant or are planning to have families.

Are there any past or current EVMS students out there who can speak to the school's behavior around students who are planning to have families? Any pregnant med students out there who can give some advice to someone who will be in her late 20s and starting a family while in school? :)

Interviewed Mid-February, Wait-listed upper 1/3

Its seems like a million people are waitlisted... my self included :(

I know. When do you think they'll start pulling people from the WL? I know they said they'll start in March but who knows huh?

I loved EVMS and I would love to go there

I'm pretty sure they start after the full interview season is complete which should be at the end of this month.

Here's to hoping for good news later this month and beyond!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

everyone who has been posting that they are waitlisted... are you IS or OOS?

Interviewed nov and wl upper third dec, oos from cali

Interviewed 2/17, found out I was waitlisted today. I've had different people telling me the in-state list moves a lot and the top third has a pretty good shot, as well as some who said it barely moves at all. I would think they would get some movement in May when all the other is students get into uva or mcv...maybe it just depends on the year? Trying to stay hopeful...

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to give you some idea about my timeline since a lot of you are curious. I interviewed at EVMS on 1/27 and i was waitlisted officially 2 weeks late (my interviewer told me abou the WL at the very end of my interview). But then I came home on 2/29 and I saw a large envelope from EVMS, carrying me the good news of acceptance. I think, however, that I will give up my spot because it is too $$$ for an out-of stater like myself. Hope one of you gets the spot!
GL everybody

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to give you some idea about my timeline since a lot of you are curious. I interviewed at EVMS on 1/27 and i was waitlisted officially 2 weeks late (my interviewer told me abou the WL at the very end of my interview). But then I came home on 2/29 and I saw a large envelope from EVMS, carrying me the good news of acceptance. I think, however, that I will give up my spot because it is too $$$ for an out-of stater like myself. Hope one of you gets the spot!
GL everybody
:)

Hey Guys,
GL everybody
congratulations! :) I wonder if they have started pulling people off the WL or if this was a one time event....

everyone who has been posting that they are waitlisted... are you IS or OOS?

I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted 5 weeks later! IS, excellent stats, don't know what gives! 2 years clinical work experience, research, 38R, graduated 2 years early cum laude from W&M and out of 18 schools, I'm waitlisted here, on hold at VTC, and accepted to Tulane... don't get my wrong, Tulane is fun and all, but I'm not a bro and I don't have that kind of cash! I'm really hoping EVMS or VTC reconsider my app. If Solhaug is no longer the go-to guy, I better start sending emails to the right one... Oy! What a process!

I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted 5 weeks later! IS, excellent stats, don't know what gives! 2 years clinical work experience, research, 38R, graduated 2 years early cum laude from W&M and out of 18 schools, I'm waitlisted here, on hold at VTC, and accepted to Tulane... don't get my wrong, Tulane is fun and all, but I'm not a bro and I don't have that kind of cash! I'm really hoping EVMS or VTC reconsider my app. If Solhaug is no longer the go-to guy, I better start sending emails to the right one... Oy! What a process!

hopefully we both get in mang.

Hey Guys,
GL everybody

were you in the top 1/3? and are you is or oos? thanks and congrats again

interviewed 2/29, waitlisted upper 1/3rd. Instate. Was waitlisted upper 1/3rd last year, brought my mcat up 3 points plus other experiences, hoping to come off the waitlist soon

Has anyone tried to email either Dr. Solhaug or Dr. Meyer? Interviewed 2/17, waitlisted, IS, and really want to go to EVMS. Any tips?

Does anyone know where I can send application updates? thanks!

were you in the top 1/3? and are you is or oos? thanks and congrats again

I was in the upper third of the waitlist, and I am an out-of-stater. Good luck to you and everybody else!

Status
Not open for further replies.