2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Emory finished with the interview invites?

FYI...
Per Emory (not clear here how late an II might occur):
We interview applicants from October to February on Mondays and Fridays...we will make every effort to accommodate your schedule, but you must let us know of potential conflicts as soon as possible.

[Last year, they definitely interviewed thru Feb...acceptances were usually via snail mail, though some by phone call, as late as early March.]

Members don't see this ad.

Last two interview dates are February 27th and March 2nd I believe. I want to say they are finished with invites but I'm not completely sure about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance call from the MSTP director, letters were mailed out last week. The timeline may be different for MD vs. MD/PhD though.

Congrats on the acceptance! But moreso, congrats on the R01 at your stage, very impressive. Don't sweat Irvine. Did you really want to live there, anyway? (I'm an LA native, in case my loathing of OC isn't readily apparent. LoL)

Did anyone get a letter today? I know they said they were going to postmark today, but I also noticed that some have received letters before the date.

Good luck everyone!

Did anyone get a letter today? I know they said they were going to postmark today, but I also noticed that some have received letters before the date.

Good luck everyone!

not me. wouldn't expect anything till tomorrow or wednesday anyway

does emory call for anything? if they do will it definitely be a 404 area code? not really expecting calls or anything but putting paranoia to rest. i think a telemarketer called and i missed it and then i thought OR MAYBE IT WAS A CELL NUMBER TO GIVE ME A MILLION DOLLARS I MEAN AN ACCEPTANCE. the paranoia neuron cannot be silenced...

I had a random dream last night that I was hanging out on the Emory campus. Just felt like sharing...Best of luck to everyone waiting.

Congrats on the acceptance! But moreso, congrats on the R01 at your stage, very impressive. Don't sweat Irvine. Did you really want to live there, anyway? (I'm an LA native, in case my loathing of OC isn't readily apparent. LoL)

@Deutsch Arzt: Thanks! How did you know about the grant? I probably was complaining about it online somewhere... haha. Didn't get that <15% yet, but I think next revision will go through. I guess it's a nice preview of the career.

I was sad about Irvine because they never even sent me a secondary (even UCSF and UCLA did). But it was more a matter of pride, because I'm definitely down to get out of SoCal. I'm sure you share that sentiment, I'm a lifelong LA native as well.

@Fizzgig: The area code is 404 for reference, best of luck!

I believe revisit is March 25, can anyone confirm? Seems really soon.

@Deutsch Arzt: Thanks! How did you know about the grant? I probably was complaining about it online somewhere... haha. Didn't get that <15% yet, but I think next revision will go through. I guess it's a nice preview of the career.

I was sad about Irvine because they never even sent me a secondary (even UCSF and UCLA did). But it was more a matter of pride, because I'm definitely down to get out of SoCal. I'm sure you share that sentiment, I'm a lifelong LA native as well.

. . .

You had written about it in your MDApps. Grants are hell, simple and to the point. That's the only thing about a future in academic medicine that I'll loathe. And it's such a huge part. I've only known one faculty member that spent any time in the actual lab. And he isn’t even an in-person acquaintance. All others I've known in person spend 75% of their time in the office authoring and coauthoring grants, 5% mentoring and/or trouble shooting technique, and the requisite 20% in clinical time, which includes resident and MS teaching. I favor the neurosurgical physician scientist model of 20% grant and 80% clinical. But to each their own...a bit of a rant anyway.

Wow, yeah, that is a bit douche-tastic to not even send you a secondary.

As far as getting out of LA, it was a huge culture and climate shock when I first arrived in the Southeast. I was homesick for years. Eventually, though, I grew to love the culture, especially the hospitality. There's nothing quite like the respect you get in the hospital here. Sure, there are the few a-holes, but overall an amazing culture with which to work and develop lifelong friendships. And dude, 95% of the people hold the door open for you. I still do it out of habit when I'm back in town and get the funniest looks when I'm in Inglewood, lol.

Anyway, enough ranting and derailing. Good luck and take care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone in the Southeast hear anything? I live about 2 hours from Emory, so I am hoping that tomorrow brings me better news.

Anyone in the Southeast hear anything? I live about 2 hours from Emory, so I am hoping that tomorrow brings me better news.

I live about 30 minutes away and no news either:(.

I guess I got passed up again.

Nothing here either. Oh well, it seems like we will have to continue waiting.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance, and for those still waiting, stay patient and optimistic because there are still a lot of spots and time left for acceptances!

I couldn't find an existing Facebook group for the entering class of 2012, so I decided to just go ahead and make one. If you're interested in joining, search:

"Emory University School of Medicine Class of 2016"

That should take you to the group. Then, click the ask to join button and I'll go ahead and accept and make everyone admins so you guys can add and change whatever you want.

Just to let you know, the public can search the group and see the members, but everything written within the group is private.

I can't wait to meet you all! Congrats and good luck everyone.

Thanks for making the FB group! I was worried when I couldn't find the group, I thought it was top-secret or something.

*And wow thanks for accepting my request to join super fast!

Just making a note for all students looking at this board for next cycle:

Complete: 7/7/12

Interview Invite: 12/21/12

Yes, that's 5 months later. Don't give up. Have it be a lovely Christmas surprise.

Interview is tomorrow - can't wait!

Landlord txted me that I got a big packet from Emory on Friday 1/31... I had to work the rest of my 14-hour shift...longest day ever. The entire day I imagined the possibility of the package containing pages and pages of everything they found wrong with me... hehe

My first acceptance out of 20 apps, 3 interviews, just happens to be one of my top choices!!! What did i do to deserve this? I owe ya one, universe!

..The entire day I imagined the possibility of the package containing pages and pages of everything they found wrong with me... hehe

HAHA I laughed out loud.

Huge congrats :) I'm still waiting ... it's been a week since they mailed it lol, stupid UCLA mail system.

PS hit up the FB group it's lonely there

No problem! Ya, whenever I have a paper due I tend to procrastinate by checking FB and Reddit every 15 minutes..lol.

Emory is amazing. Loved it so much; I'd be thrilled to go here.

Next acceptances are sent out february 20th.

Does anyone know if II are still going out?

Just got an interview invite for march 2nd...not sure if I'm gonna take it, I'm so burnt out.

Nvm, totally doing this. Bring it interviewers!

Just got an II for 3/2/12. Super excited!

Just got e-mail with II !!! Super excited...a Ga. resident.

Emory is easily my top choice, though also going to Baylor late.

Better late than never! Whoo-wee! :love:

If I had it to do over, would have been complete sooner...had put off taking the MCAT due to other time demands.

Good luck to all waiting...keep your chins up!

I think I remember reading that the first day of orientation. is July 23rd.

Thanks to all of you that have answered...you've made me feel a lot better!

^ lol. maybe it's one of those young parents + kids both go to medical school... together!

Status
Not open for further replies.