2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 4: Still waiting, nothing today.....

Where do you live? I'm in Nashville, and still have nothing...probably either a waitlist or a rejection at this point...? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you live? I'm in Nashville, and still have nothing...probably either a waitlist or a rejection at this point...? :(

Detroit. I'm going to give it till tomorrow before I start losing hope. Looking at last year's thread, they sent waitlist e-mails a week after the last batch was sent. Hopefully we hear good news soon!

My application was JUST completed and I had submitted March 1st. Check OPUS if you haven't for any "to-dos" you might not know about. They could not find my PROFILE so I had to deal with that. Seriously stress inducing. Make sure they have all your paperwork.

Also, is the earliest date we can hear April 1? I assume since my app was complete so late, I'll hear later but I was just wondering.

How did you get your OPUS login? I haven't gotten any information from Emory since my acceptance letter and an e-mail saying they received my signed letter reserving my spot... is there something I missed?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get your OPUS login? I haven't gotten any information from Emory since my acceptance letter and an e-mail saying they received my signed letter reserving my spot... is there something I missed?

Have you submitted your FAFSA and PROFILE to Emory? If not, do this immediately. If you have, call your financial aid officer (it should be in the packet that we received during the interview day) and see what's going on.

Interviewed last day and received letter in rural Colorado today. Definitely attending.

Did anyone who did NOT gotten an acceptance packet just receive a financial aid E-Mail? I'm confused because I assume that I have been waitlisted/rejected, but now they are asking for my information so they can decide on awards...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email as well. They may want everyone on the waitlist to have their financial aid stuff taken care of should an acceptance offer be extended...to make things faster down the line I suppose.

Did anyone who did NOT gotten an acceptance packet just receive a financial aid E-Mail? I'm confused because I assume that I have been waitlisted/rejected, but now they are asking for my information so they can decide on awards...

yeah, i got it too. And it's really frustrating because I was working on that stuff all week and I'm probably waitlisted, and may never go there, but they want copies of all my parents tax information, as do some of the other schools I'm waitlisted at. I just feel like sending all of this around is a bad idea, hope they're responsible about destroying those documents for people that end up not matriculating.

And it's really frustrating because I was working on that stuff all week and I'm probably waitlisted, and may never go there, but they want copies of all my parents tax information, as do some of the other schools I'm waitlisted at. I just feel like sending all of this around is a bad idea, hope they're responsible about destroying those documents for people that end up not matriculating.

Schools ask for your fin aid info, because if you get off the WL you'll only have 24-48 hrs to decide whether you'll matriculate or not. If your fin aid profile is incomplete, they won't be able to assemble an aid package in that 24-48 hr window.

It's definitely a head ache to deal with now, but it pays off if/when you get a phone call from admissions in May.

As of today, they have not started on aid for medicine, but they hope to get to it soon.

And I +1 about wanting to know about Woodruff! I thought I heard that it was supposed to go out late March.

Last edited:
Anybody know if that 23k is or is not including interest accrued?

Do y'all think this will go out before the end of march?

So badly want to know about Woodruff scholarships! :confused:

Also, does anyone know if all of the third year rotations have to be at Grady or if there's some flexibility?

Also, does anyone know if all of the third year rotations have to be at Grady or if there's some flexibility?

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Woodruff scholarships (I wasn't baller enough to receive an interview :laugh:).

Re: third year, there's a lot of flexibility. You're required to do a portion of your rotations at Grady (maybe 1/3? don't know of the top of my head), but you have plenty of other options. One of the strengths of our clinical curriculum is that we have an broad spectrum of practice environments that we can rotate through: county hospital (Grady), academic mecca (Emory), "commun-iversity" (Midtown Crawford Long), Atlanta VA medical center, private practice (Scottish Rite), etc...

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Woodruff scholarships (I wasn't baller enough to receive an interview :laugh:).

Re: third year, there's a lot of flexibility. You're required to do a portion of your rotations at Grady (maybe 1/3? don't know of the top of my head), but you have plenty of other options. One of the strengths of our clinical curriculum is that we have an broad spectrum of practice environments that we can rotate through: county hospital (Grady), academic mecca (Emory), "commun-iversity" (Midtown Crawford Long), Atlanta VA medical center, private practice (Scottish Rite), etc...

Sounds awesome!

Yeah scholarships are a long shot but I can't help but dream! haha I think we would all love a full-ride!

Anyone have any advice about sending a letter of intent/interest to Emory?

Emory is my #1 choice school. I didn't receive an acceptance letter, but I would really love to be waitlisted and hope for a chance to get in that way. Just wondering if a letter of interest would help my cause? It seems like an awkward time to send one too just cause I haven't officially received a decision yet and won't until March 31st. However, I imagine they are making decisions about rejections and waitlists now so I'd want to inform them of my intent because it may factor in?

Also, I kind of remember them nicely asking us not to send thank you notes and stuff.. so not sure if they'd like receiving a letter of interest/intent?

Last edited:
I would recommend writing one if you do intend to go to Emory if accepted. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I believe Emory looks for students who really want to go to there school.

Best of luck.

Thanks! I emailed my interviewer and asked for her advice. I am also writing a letter of intent and will probably send that to the email they have listed for "updating your application". I think it's the associate director of admissions.

Wait listed. Does everyone get wait listed or do rejections also occur?

Wait listed. Does everyone get wait listed or do rejections also occur?

Same. Found out via email about 20 minutes ago. I already knew that I hadn't been accepted, so this was good news. I love this school and I hope I can show them that.

Good luck!

+5

Emory is my #1 choice so i'm pretty ecstatic about getting waitlisted. I wonder if anyone who interviewed didn't get a waitlist invite? Doesn't seem like anyone got a rejection today.

Has there still not been any announcement of the Woodruff Scholarship finalists? I thought they said at my interview that they would announce them in mid to late March...

They only have like, 8 finalists yeah? If they did invite them back already, might be none of them are SDNers.

To my fellow waitlistees:
How long are you making your responses about why you wish to attend Emory? I could easily write them a small novel, but figured they'd appreciate something more succinct. Thoughts?

Which specialties are strong at Emory? Nationally known? What specialties are relatively weak? I know geography has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't seem like students from top medical schools like to go to Emory for residency training (from briefly looking at match lists). But I did notice a lot of Emory students like to stay at Emory for residency. I don't know if this would affect medical education for med students, but perhaps thinking ahead about residencies.

To my fellow waitlistees:
How long are you making your responses about why you wish to attend Emory? I could easily write them a small novel, but figured they'd appreciate something more succinct. Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly considering they didn't want long answers for their secondary either. I wrote 2 paragraphs (about half a page). But I didn't have much to say either. I just reiterated why Emory was a good fit and also a quick update on my life. I assume if you have significant things to say, you shouldn't limit yourself though. Good luck to us all :thumbup:

The only rotation you WILL be at Grady is 1 month of medicine and some occasional weeks/days here and there (2 wks of OB clinic, 1 day of ophtho clinic, etc...). It mostly depends on luck/personal preference, it is highly unlikely you will do all of 3rd yr at Grady or not spend any time at Grady outside of the required stuff

Which specialties are strong at Emory? Nationally known? What specialties are relatively weak? I know geography has a lot to do with it, but it doesn't seem like students from top medical schools like to go to Emory for residency training (from briefly looking at match lists). But I did notice a lot of Emory students like to stay at Emory for residency. I don't know if this would affect medical education for med students, but perhaps thinking ahead about residencies.

It doesn't, some of the best residents I've had came from lesser "ranked"/well-known schools. All residents, regardless of where they went to med school will know more than you, what matters more is their personality and how WILLING they are to teach you. Also, why are you worried about what specialties are strong and weak? Chances are, you will end up deciding on a different speciality than what you think you want to do now. More important questions for you to consider at this point: where do you want to live for the next 4 years? What type of curriculum do you like? Are there grades? How much will it cost compared to other schools? Did the students seem happy there?

How competitive are intramural sports at Emory? Do med students get any time to participate?

Has anyone heard about financial aid packages/awards yet? We should be hearing soon and I thought I'd put out feelers to see if anyone has heard back...

Has anyone heard about financial aid packages/awards yet? We should be hearing soon and I thought I'd put out feelers to see if anyone has heard back...

Same question, looks like in the past its been early April....

How competitive are intramural sports at Emory? Do med students get any time to participate?

My class alone won co-ed basketball last year and men's flag football this year, yes there is plenty of time to participate, even during your surgery rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.