2011-2012 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone interviewing either the 1st or 5th of December that could switch to the 9th or 12th? I had rescheduled mine for the 5th but it never got put into the computer and I've already made travel plans from Colorado!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So after reading the acceptance letter, and seeing the reminder about getting your Hep B shots I was a little confused...my undergraduate institution requires (with exceptions for certain reasons) Hep B in order to enroll...is this unusual/am I just lucky that I dont need more shots :) or am I just being dense? (I know I still need to do the titers) THANKS

Anyone with an October interview after 10/15 have "Admissions Committee Review Completed"?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in August and have been "Admissions Committee Review Complete" since late September/ early October. :luck:

same here! it's nerve-wrecking! wish I would hear soon! everything in my interview went really well but I was passed over with the Nov 2 acceptances, hopefully ill hear tomorrow!!!

Between here and UM, the next two days are going to be pretty nerve wracking seeing if I hear back from either and/or both..... It's sort of aggravating seeing "Admissions Committee Review Completed" and not knowing what my fate will be haha.....

Just went to AdCom Review Complete today... now I'm with you all waiting for news... hopefully sooner than later!

Anyone with an October interview after 10/15 have "Admissions Committee Review Completed"?

Nope! :). Still at "Interview Complete". I don't think the late Oct. people will hear back until AT EARLIEST late December.

Woke up to an acceptance e-mail this morning on my smartphone! Really sweet feeling to know that I can come back to Florida after this year if I want; I've really missed it since moving to do my Master's program. Good luck to everyone!

Woke up to an acceptance e-mail this morning on my smartphone! Really sweet feeling to know that I can come back to Florida after this year if I want; I've really missed it since moving to do my Master's program. Good luck to everyone!

I was wondering when you interviewed and if you would mind posting your stats?

Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 9/30.....mediocre, average stats but huge amount of ECs especially in community service.

was the letter personalized? weird that no one else posted that they got accepted... think the emails are being staggered?

was the letter personalized? weird that no one else posted that they got accepted... think the emails are being staggered?

No the letter wasn't personalized other than the letter being directed to my name. My account on the FIU website changed and my dashboard now says "Admissions Decision Accepted" along with an area for me to pay the deposit. It is sort of strange that no one else has been accepted today on SDN; not really sure why but knowing the way that we were ranked, it's conceivable that if you didn't hear back today, you simply weren't ranked high enough yet to get an acceptance but on the next release date, you might be ranked high enough if the new interviewees being considered aren't ranked high.

I also got an acceptance today!!! I am so excited!

Anyone know the accepted-waitlisted-rejected stats for FIU? I should be getting my decision in a month or so.

Just got my acceptance email! Interviewed 9/12

hi all, i interviewed on 11/21 and went to "adcom scheduled" on 11/22. from those of you ahead of me in the process, approximately how long did it take for you to move from adcom scheduled to adcom complete to receipt of decision notification?

thanks!

hi all, i interviewed on 11/21 and went to "adcom scheduled" on 11/22. from those of you ahead of me in the process, approximately how long did it take for you to move from adcom scheduled to adcom complete to receipt of decision notification?

thanks!

It took about 1 month for me to go from "adcom scheduled" to "adcom complete"

Interviewed in October and status went to adcom scheduled on 11/22.

Really liked the school! :xf::xf:

So after reading the acceptance letter, and seeing the reminder about getting your Hep B shots I was a little confused...my undergraduate institution requires (with exceptions for certain reasons) Hep B in order to enroll...is this unusual/am I just lucky that I dont need more shots :) or am I just being dense? (I know I still need to do the titers) THANKS

Some people did not have the entire Hep B sequence, especially those who are older. For instance, I'm 28 and they didn't start requiring it as a middle school vaccination until the year I started high school. Luckily I had already gotten it for an international trip.

However, even if you've had the series you need to get a titer asap to prove immunity. A lot of people wait until the last minute assuming they're immune because they had the series, and I think about 5 people in my class that had the shots previously did not come back as immune on the titer. This means they had to start from scratch on the 6 month shot series then wait another month for another titer. End result: there are still some people who are not allowed to do clinical assignments, and we start those in September of M1 here.

So...get that titer early. :)

Thank you so much for the response!! I was going to wait to do my forms, but after hearing this I am actually going to try to do my titer this week.

I was hoping that a few current students could comment on how they feel about taking Step 1 after third year instead of second year. How does FIU feel that this timeline benefits students? Isn't it better to take it when the material from second year is fresh?

Thank you so much for the response!! I was going to wait to do my forms, but after hearing this I am actually going to try to do my titer this week.

Just make sure you don't get your physical or your TB test this early, because you'll have to redo them. However, titer is always a good idea, because once it's done, it's done! :)

I was hoping that a few current students could comment on how they feel about taking Step 1 after third year instead of second year. How does FIU feel that this timeline benefits students? Isn't it better to take it when the material from second year is fresh?

Well, I think since the first class is taking it this spring, it's likely hard to get student input on experiences. However, I am certain that we are not the only school doing this. I believe Duke and Colombia are 2 schools that pretty much have it built into the curriculum after 3rd year rotations.

A few of the students from our first graduating class already took step 1 and did very well, but the majority, as I said, will take it in spring. FIU has a 3 touch program. 1st in M1, 2nd in M2, and 3rd in M3. During M3 all students have Fridays free from their clerkships to report back for something called Osler Fridays, where you discuss cases in groups. They are basically to get extra practice thinking through USMLE style questions and applying it to what you're doing in clerkships at the time.

ACCEPTED via email around 5pm!!!!

IS interviewed 10/14, adcom review complete 11/15

Well, I think since the first class is taking it this spring, it's likely hard to get student input on experiences. However, I am certain that we are not the only school doing this. I believe Duke and Colombia are 2 schools that pretty much have it built into the curriculum after 3rd year rotations.
I believe Baylor does as well...

Congrats!! :) Your timing suggests that I'll be finding out in two weeks :eek:

Me too! I interviewed on the same day, was complete on the same day, and was also accepted today at 5pm! CONGRATS! :D

I have been at "preliminary review completed" since 10/18

When should I expect this to change, and to what should it change to?

Congrats to all who received acceptances!

I have been at "preliminary review completed" since 10/18

When should I expect this to change, and to what should it change to?

Congrats to all who received acceptances!

I believe any status change after that would be for an interview invite. You would receive an email notification from the school once that happens and you will be able to log in and schedule your visit online. As to when you can expect it to change, it could be tomorrow, it could be in two months. Nonetheless, best of luck to you. Hopefully, you will get an II shortly.

Anyone know when the next Adcom meeting is? Been stuck at "Admissions Committee Scheduled" for quite a while. Hoping to at least be scored soon...

I think it'll be around December 15th, unless school is out by then...which would mean we get pushed to January :/. I feel ya though. I interviewed in late October with no news since.

Last edited:
Anyone know when the next Adcom meeting is? Been stuck at "Admissions Committee Scheduled" for quite a while. Hoping to at least be scored soon...

They told us at our interview (11/21) that there would only be one (or two) AdCom meetings in December, and that we should expect to be reviewed in January at the earliest. Not sure if that helps answer your question since you interviewed a while ago...but I thought I'd relay what info I have about December AdCom meetings.

They told us at our interview (11/21) that there would only be one (or two) AdCom meetings in December, and that we should expect to be reviewed in January at the earliest. Not sure if that helps answer your question since you interviewed a while ago...but I thought I'd relay what info I have about December AdCom meetings.

I appreciate the update. I figured there would be a couple meetings in December. Certainly, your information was useful. Thanks. Hopefully, they get through all the backlogged files before the holidays hit.

File review complete today. Interviewed in late October.

Anyone know the accepted-waitlisted-rejected stats for FIU? I should be getting my decision in a month or so.

I know this post was a while ago... but I'm not sure if anyone ever answered it. I'm not so sure about the stats but from the acceptance letter it said 3200 applicants for 120 seats. I have no idea how many actually interview.

As for decisions.. once your status (post-interview) changes to "adcom review complete" you could hear your decision anytime from then until March, I believe. Since they are rolling admissions, there is no specific date you will hear In/Out/WL until they are complete with interviews and set up the waitlist. So even though the adcom review is complete, that does not mean you will definitely get any notification of your status.

I hope this helps and I hope you hear something soon!

I interviewed on Oct 31st and my status still says admissions committee scheduled. my friend's (who interviewed 10 days before me) status is admissions committee decision made

I hope some good news goes out this week. An acceptance would be the perfect gift for the holidays :D

Status
Not open for further replies.