2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone happen to know FSU's average step one score from recent years?? :idea:
thanks!

Hey Mark, I applaud your long-term perspective on choosing a medical school. How a school's applicants perform and match was an important part of my own decision making when I was choosing which school to attend last year. However, while a school's prestige may have some effect on residencies (albiet low on the totem pole if you look at the NRMP PD survery), a school has very little to do with its student's step scores. While other schools in Florida may claim they "Teach to the test" this is not true. All medical schools cover the same material. They have to because LCME accreditation mandates it. Most schools will give tests that have Board-type questions on their test and FSU is no different (in fact our Anatomy course director wrote questions for the USMLEs for several years). Your scores have everything to do with your own individual effort, and very little, if any, to do with your school. In summary, when making your choice think about what area you want to live in, the vibe of the school, its facilities and faculty, not its Step I averages. Also keep in mind that Step I is not a published average in ANY recognized official forum or survey. As such, Academia can do basically whatever they want to their data points (like for instance not including the people that fail in the averages) and since no one has access to their information, no questions are asked. Just be cautious when students or deans start throwing their high Board averages around casually; you have no idea if their figures are truly accurate.

I will direct you to our Match Lists if you have questions about how FSU performs during the Match :): http://med.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=alumniFriends.whereTheyMatched

Members don't see this ad.

What's the dealeo Sista? Didn't you already interview this year? No post interview news?
My interview is actually scheduled pretty late for a few reasons (I'm currently in Greece, which is one of them). I'll be interviewing in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:
My interview is actually scheduled pretty late for a few reasons (I'm currently in Greece, which is one of them). I'll be interviewing in the upcoming weeks.

Set mine for January 13th! woot can't wait to see FSU again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed that day and received an acceptance e-mail on Wednesday evening. Good luck!!!! I hope you hear back soon.

Oh okay cool-- I wonder if I should call the admissions office??

No - you're not forgotten, trust me. Just relax. Have faith in the system.

Good luck! :thumbup:

My friends are telling me I should just call and say I interviewed on Nov 18th and was told I would hear back by Dec 2nd and was wondering about my status. You would advise against that??

My friends are telling me I should just call and say I interviewed on Nov 18th and was told I would hear back by Dec 2nd and was wondering about my status. You would advise against that??

I would wait a couple more days. FSU is usually really good about getting back to people within deadlines, but something may have happened and you could have slipped between the cracks. Hopefully you will hear soon, but it still is pretty early.

Also, I know you're probably freaking out - "oh no, they haven't called me, i must be rejected" - etc etc. I would advise against this. FSU is really great to students (and applicants), so I wouldn't take this at anything more than face value.

Good luck!

Hey Mark, I applaud your long-term perspective on choosing a medical school. How a school's applicants perform and match was an important part of my own decision making when I was choosing which school to attend last year. However, while a school's prestige may have some effect on residencies (albiet low on the totem pole if you look at the NRMP PD survery), a school has very little to do with its student's step scores. While other schools in Florida may claim they "Teach to the test" this is not true. All medical schools cover the same material. They have to because LCME accreditation mandates it. Most schools will give tests that have Board-type questions on their test and FSU is no different (in fact our Anatomy course director wrote questions for the USMLEs for several years). Your scores have everything to do with your own individual effort, and very little, if any, to do with your school. In summary, when making your choice think about what area you want to live in, the vibe of the school, its facilities and faculty, not its Step I averages. Also keep in mind that Step I is not a published average in ANY recognized official forum or survey. As such, Academia can do basically whatever they want to their data points (like for instance not including the people that fail in the averages) and since no one has access to their information, no questions are asked. Just be cautious when students or deans start throwing their high Board averages around casually; you have no idea if their figures are truly accurate.

I will direct you to our Match Lists if you have questions about how FSU performs during the Match :): http://med.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=alumniFriends.whereTheyMatched

Awesome! :thumbup: Thank you so much for the response. You make some good points and im inclined to take your advice...In fact let me ask you yet another question(s) :D --> What is your take on the regional campuses thing at FSU? Was it designed with the sole purpose of allowing students to bypass the "hospital-hierarchy" and get more hands-on experience? (And if so, is it effective?! :xf: I mean, is that sort of thing really a big issue at other schools? :confused:) Or is it a strategy to get students more involved in relatively rural locations?

- Hoping for personally appealing answers!! :laugh: FSU's the favorite so far! :hardy:
- Thanks again for you time butler, and all of you which choose to chime in ;)

I would. The truth is they're reviewing a lot of applicants with a rather small admissions faculty. I was at the COM yesterday for an unrelated meeting and observed Dana & others hustling around. It may be the case that your file didn't get reviewed on that particular Tuesday due to lack of time, so you're on the next go-round.

Wrt the regional campus - it isn't to avoid hospital hierarchy per se. Some of our campuses have affiliated residencies. Concerning hands on experience - absolutely. Surgery is the best example. You are first assist on all surgeries. That is huge. At most med schools you do scut work and are lucky when you get to hold a retractor. I encourage any further questions.

Wrt the regional campus - it isn't to avoid hospital hierarchy per se. Some of our campuses have affiliated residencies. Concerning hands on experience - absolutely. Surgery is the best example. You are first assist on all surgeries. That is huge. At most med schools you do scut work and are lucky when you get to hold a retractor. I encourage any further questions.

"Some of our capuses have affiliated residencies." Interesting!! Can you elaborate?? Maybe provide an example! :p thanks!
-mark

"Some of our capuses have affiliated residencies." Interesting!! Can you elaborate?? Maybe provide an example! :p thanks!
-mark

The biggest part of the regional campuses is allowing students to get more 1-on-1 time with attendings. When you don't have all the usual heirachy of Attending, fellow, chief resident, resident, intern with the medical student stuck in scut at the bottom of the totem pole, a lot more hands-on experience is up for the taking. A few of the campuses are in some very rural areas (Thomasville for instance), but many of the campuses are in big cities like Daytona and Orlando. Hosptials we work with that have residency programs are TMH in Talley and I believe surgery in Daytona, as well as Orlando; which has tons of residency programs available. Orlando campus gives a much more "traditional" experience with many residents, interns and attendings all working together. The other campus give a more unique experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, 5 of the 6 regional campuses have family med residencies (only fort pierce does not). Orlando has a bunch of residencies. Daytona has surgery (starting this year). Pensacola has PEDs and I think OB/gyn and/or surgery. So we actually have several.

Actually, 5 of the 6 regional campuses have family med residencies (only fort pierce does not). Orlando has a bunch of residencies. Daytona has surgery (starting this year). Pensacola has PEDs and I think OB/gyn and/or surgery. So we actually have several.

I definitely forgot about Pensacola hah. Sarasota campus has FM Residency as well? That I didn't know.

Anyone know how long it usually takes FSU to download letters of recommendation from AMCAS? I applied a little late to the school, but submitted my secondary within two days of receiving it; however I haven't received a complete email because my status page doesn't state that FSU has received my letters....

Pensacola has OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine (DO program, so nobody really remembers it), Family Medicine (Navy Hospital).

Mobile is about 45 minutes away with University of Southern Alabama and they have a bunch of other residencies. That being said, you are with private docs most of the time, so you don't get too much exposure to the residencies. People do get to rotate at navy hospital for family medicine and there is some inpatient stuff with the other rotations.

The residency exposure thing is vastly overrated. A lot of people pick/want orlando because of the residencies, but it has very little to no impact. In fact, many of FSU students who match at those programs were not in Orlando for rotations. You are pretty busy much of the time, so it is difficult to really suck up and get good exposure. You can get good letters wherever you are. My surgery attending was a professor at LSU for a long time and fellowship trained surgical oncologist. Our clerkship directors all know people around the country. It really is not a huge factor like people believe.

Anyone know how long it usually takes FSU to download letters of recommendation from AMCAS? I applied a little late to the school, but submitted my secondary within two days of receiving it; however I haven't received a complete email because my status page doesn't state that FSU has received my letters....

My letters were downloaded 11 days after I submitted my app and photo

6 days for me. Submitted secondary 10/14 and letters uploaded 10/20, also the date of my "under review" status.

However, their disclaimer at the bottom of the Review Status page states that it can take between 2-3 weeks to process letters from when they receive them.

I was also under review since 10/20. Guess I'm going to be watching out for your posts for now on haha :whistle:.

Good luck!

Application has been under review by the ADCOM since 10/20.

Is it terrible that nothing has changed in so long?

I'm an FSU student, by the way.

What should I be expecting next?

My son applied to FSU last year. It took them 3 to 4 weeks download his letters.
If it has been morre then a month, I would double check to be sure the letters have been assigned to FSU. Good luck with your application.

I've been complete since 7/1. Is it safe to say that I've been reviewed? I'd be shocked if I haven't been. Sent an update and LOI a few weeks ago. I really am interested in FSU. I even regret not attending undergrad there sometimes, when I'm freezing to death at my hyper-competitive undergrad lol.

accepted back in September.. come back and check on everyone.. Finals next week yay!

I've been complete since 7/1. Is it safe to say that I've been reviewed? I'd be shocked if I haven't been. Sent an update and LOI a few weeks ago. I really am interested in FSU. I even regret not attending undergrad there sometimes, when I'm freezing to death at my hyper-competitive undergrad lol.

Hey everybody!! I am a long time lurker on here and first time poster. I submitted my secondary pretty late in the process 10/29 and am waiting to hear back from them. I was wondering what a letter of intent should exactly consist of? I am a florida resident and FSU would be a dream come true. I am basically just writing to find out what else I can do to help my application and how I can send them updates to my application. Thanks everybody!! Go Noles!:xf:

Hey everybody!! I am a long time lurker on here and first time poster. I submitted my secondary pretty late in the process 10/29 and am waiting to hear back from them. I was wondering what a letter of intent should exactly consist of? I am a florida resident and FSU would be a dream come true. I am basically just writing to find out what else I can do to help my application and how I can send them updates to my application. Thanks everybody!! Go Noles!:xf:

I addressed some salient points that may assist you on the previous page (pg 10 ~ 2/3rds the way down). Let me know if you have additional questions after reading my post.

That was really helpful, do I just email it to the admissions office? What venue should I the LOI through?

That was really helpful, do I just email it to the admissions office? What venue should I the LOI through?

Email is the best way for communication I would think. Something like "Dear Admissions Committee" would work. Always remember we are more than willing to assist you here, but don't hesitate to contact the admissions office directly (by phone or email) as we are not officially part of the committee. They are super helpful, I promise :D! I dealt with plenty of admission offices last year during my app cycle, FSU's was definitely the most friendly and helpful one out of them all.

I'm a fan of carrier pigeon. It is a much more personal message, especially if written on quality paper in nice calligraphy.

and then we had silence....come on people. Don't let me down here.

Hey all, for those who sent a letter of update/intent where did you send it to? [email protected]? Also, how did you address it, Dear Admissions Committee? Thanks!

I'm a FL resident. I submitted my secondary on 9/14. Sent an update letter on 10/30. Received an interview invite on 11/22. Interviewed on 12/2. Got the great news today (12/14): accepted!! :)
Interview was laid back, the med students were extremely helpful and very eager to answers all of my questions. Overall, the school seemed like a great fit for me.

Woot! Accepted to FSU. Pretty darn exciting. Seems like an awesome school. Grateful for the chance to attend. (Complete 9/12.)

Bumpity bump bump

Does anyone know where is the christmas break falls on the 2012 calendar?

Does anyone know where is the christmas break falls on the 2012 calendar?

That depends on what year you are. First years are usually a little earlier than everyone else since they have been going so long without a break.

A person PM'ed me and asked me a bunch of questions because they were trying to decide between schools. They are reposted below with my reply. Forgive any typos. I replied on a tablet. I did add to certain areas, but didn't remove anything.

1) What regional campus are you at? What is the role of the regional campus sites? Do you attend classes there? Meet up with other medical students?

Pensacola. They are a central location for FSU med events. Wednesday's of third year we have doctoring lectures there (mandatory). They also are used for studying if need be. Time spent there is minimal relative to rotations. During residency application stuff, the campus staff are the ones that play the support role. It is an advantage because you have an entire team for 20 students writing your letters and helping you out. Many other schools have generic form dean's letters.

Whether we hang with other med students depends on the personality of the class and that campus. My campus spends a lot of time together, whereas my classmates in Orlando and Daytona don't seem to hang out much. (They may correct me on this, since I'm only going by word of mouth)

2) FSU stresses that clerkships are one-on-one with attendings. Has this been your experience? How have your rotations been? Do you feel like you are acquiring strong skills because of the one-on-one experience? Do you feel like you are missing out on the medical school experience because you are not at a large teaching hospital?

My experience has been good. Nearly all of my attendings have been fantastic and let me do a ton. I feel like it is a good experience. I haven't done the other style, so I can't say comparatively how I'd feel. I don't feel like I am missing much of anything by not being at a teaching hospital. They are a lot of hype, but you are fighting to do stuff behind a line of interns, residents and fellows. I got to be first assist for all surgeries...not many schools can claim that. Med school is about getting good at the basics. While seeing the crazy pathology every day is fun, it isn't (or shouldn't) be the goal of undergraduate medical education. Either way, I've scored very well against all med students at all schools taking the exam for each rotation, so it obviously didn't affect my fund of knowledge.

My attendings are who I model myself after. I look up to all of them (even the one who was a bit of a jerk). I still swing by their offices and visit them when I can and feel comfortable talking to them about almost anything. I played tennis with my surgery attending, got coffee and listened to music with my psych attending, and chased/play with my family med attending's kid when she was trying to wrap stuff up. My chronic care family med doc even asked if I had ps3, so we could play modern warfare 3.

3) What are the sites clinical sites like? Are your experiences mostly in hospitals or private clinics? Inpatient or outpatient?

Once again, this is dependent on where you are. At Pensacola, there are 3 medical systems your attending may be assigned to. They are all very nice. The doctor's offices range in their relative quality, as well as how they are ran. How much time you spend in the hospital is based on your attending. FSU does tend to have a lot more outpatient than most schools. Certain rotations are the exception, such as surgery and OB/GYN. I do personally wish for more inpatient experience, but I've learned a ton regardless.

During 4th year there is "advanced internal medicine" for 4 weeks, which is all inpatient. There is also a required advanced family medicine which CAN be at a residency program, but may be in a rural locale. Emergency Medicine is required 4th year, which is obviously at the hospital. Geriatrics is...geriatrics. Other than those specialties, you have a little more say in how you schedule, so you get to spend more time in the hospital if you wish.

4) What has been the best part of your clerkship experience? Worst?

This is tough to answer...dealing with death isn't fun, nor is losing the ability to create your own schedule. All schools have bs that is a pain. Best part is that time flies and you get to learn/do clinical things rather than memorizing HLA types or biochem pathways. You get to organize all that material jammed in your head and feel like a doctor. It still amazes me that I'm halfway through my third year. I remember the first time in the anatomy crystal clear. Heck, I remember where I sat for my first orientation lunch and what tie I was wearing.

Clerkships can be amazing/awful/fun/exhausting all wrapped into one. The hardest thing to get used to is that you are no longer graded objectively. Attendings evaluate how you perform. Sure, you need to get a certain percentage of shelf exams to Honor, but the bulk of the grade is how someone else thinks you perform. This experience is more intuitive to some people than others. I've personally found it much easier to build a relationship with the people around me. I don't think it has anything to do with introversion versus extroversion. I'm an introverted computer geek and get very nice comments from my attendings and patients. (If you looked at my desk right now, you'd see my big 23 inch LED display, macbook, lenovo, tablet, iphone, ipod, wireless laser printer and tons of other tech junk)

5) And, last, what drew you to FSU? If you had to do it all over again, would you still have chosen FSU?

I would choose FSU again. You do have to accept that they are a primary care oriented school, so you will have more focus on that. It does not mean you must go primary care (I'm going into radiology most likely). I was drawn here because of instate tuition, heavy support network from my parents and the school, very friendly family atmosphere, deans and professors that want to improve things, relatively non-competitive and laid back students. Is it perfect? No, but I am very happy with my decision overall and don't have a lot of the complaints a lot of kids have from their schools. FSU is fantastic at adjusting to the students' needs. They are so good at it, we are more likely to get frustrated when there isn't a response.

Woot! Accepted to FSU. Pretty darn exciting. Seems like an awesome school. Grateful for the chance to attend. (Complete 9/12.)

Congrats!! :)

I'm a FL resident. I submitted my secondary on 9/14. Sent an update letter on 10/30. Received an interview invite on 11/22. Interviewed on 12/2. Got the great news today (12/14): accepted!! :)
Interview was laid back, the med students were extremely helpful and very eager to answers all of my questions. Overall, the school seemed like a great fit for me.

Alright! Success for one of my interviewees!! Welcome to FSU COM c/o 2016!!

Can anyone give insight as to how these regional campuses work. Do you drive two and from on a daily basis or is there some kind of living situation.

Can anyone give insight as to how these regional campuses work. Do you drive two and from on a daily basis or is there some kind of living situation.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. As in the actual regional campus buildings or each city? The regional campus buildings are where the dean and support staff are located. The only mandatory days to go there are Wednesday for doctoring and your end of rotation shelf exams. You have 24/7 access with a key card if you'd like to study though.

You move to your respective regional campus/city during years 3 and 4. You could theoretically drive every day from Tallahassee if you wanted, but I'm not sure i would be eager for 6+ hours of driving a day...assuming you aren't at Tallahassee campus for clinicals.

I'm glad to see people excited and energized about being future MS1s at FSU. My experience there has been phenomenal. I really didn't realize just how great I had it until I visited a few other institutions on the interview trail for residency training. There are several "big" name programs out there that 1.) treat the med students like dirt and 2.) offer them very little exposure to hands-on training in their clinical years. Then I was reminded of the high level of autonomy given to me as an MS3; first assist on whipples and c-sections, working one on one with various specialists, great opportunities for letters and research, etc. All in all, I'd say the training I've received over the past four years is second to none, and I would gladly choose FSU again in a heartbeat.
The regional campus setup is a somewhat unique feature of the FSU program; however there are a few other schools out there that adopt the same model. I had very little trouble with the transition from my second to third year. The attendings at Pensacola (and elsewhere) are all very laid back and very approachable. They offer the chance to truly experience patient ownership and learn the essentials of clinical practice. My experience at the FSU program was simply amazing across the board; preparing me well to potentially match at some very competitive programs. For those with acceptances in hand, be prepared for one of the most amazing experiences of your lives. For those on the waiting list or preparing for interviews, stay hopeful and give the application process everything you've got. Don't hesitate to contact me if anyone has further questions about the program, or the experience of medical school in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.