2011-2012 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anyone know how many admissions are offered post interview and how many are offered to people on hold?

Members don't see this ad.

So does anyone know how many admissions are offered post interview and how many are offered to people on hold?

There isn't a set number or anything for each group. If all people did great then there is a chance that all get accepted. If all didn't do so hot then maybe all are rejected or put on hold. They TRY to keep it evenly distributed so the late interviewers don't feel like they are there for the waitlist, but it is all dependent on how many people take their acceptances.

There isn't a set number or anything for each group. If all people did great then there is a chance that all get accepted. If all didn't do so hot then maybe all are rejected or put on hold. They TRY to keep it evenly distributed so the late interviewers don't feel like they are there for the waitlist, but it is all dependent on how many people take their acceptances.

Moss, you want to procure me an II sometime? I've been complete since the stone ages. I mean, I literally had to chisel my essays describing my family/travel experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it seems like you hear about 10-14 days post interview about a decision.

I also assume if you interview anytime soon you have a decent shot since not many acceptances have been given out.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

Moss, you want to procure me an II sometime? I've been complete since the stone ages. I mean, I literally had to chisel my essays describing my family/travel experience.

It's been quite awhile since I've heard anyone say they got an II.....You'd have to think that some new IIs are right around the corner, right?

I got an e-mail yesteday heavily implying they'll be sending out a batch of interviews soon. Good luck to all of us still keeping our fingers crossed!

So it seems like you hear about 10-14 days post interview about a decision.

I also assume if you interview anytime soon you have a decent shot since not many acceptances have been given out.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

FSU COM admissions is quite transparent about this when you come for interviews. They let you know that the first Tuesday after your interview, the faculty members that interviewed you will represent you to a selection committee. Then, the following Tuesday, that selection committee meets without the extra faculty members present in order to make an objective decision. After that you hear either accepted, hold, or rejected within a couples of days after that 2nd Tuesday.

And yes, I am sure there are still plenty of seats open in 2016. Ok, gotta get some sleep! Big exam @ 0900hrs!

Secondary completed back in early July. II today.

In state. So still hope for those who have been complete for ages.

Are the emails for all fsu medical students the 1st letter of the first name, and first 7 letters of last name (or is there some generic way its done)?

Are the emails for all fsu medical students the 1st letter of the first name, and first 7 letters of last name (or is there some generic way its done)?

No, not that easy, unfortunately. Usually, first initial last initial, last two numbers of the date they started at FSU (undergrad or grad) and another letter if more that one student with same initials and start year.

Take home message: good luck if you are attempting to guess!

If you're trying to contact someone you know, our Student Directory search function is quite handy. Same for faculty/staff.

It's been quite awhile since I've heard anyone say they got an II.....You'd have to think that some new IIs are right around the corner, right?

Hope so! :)

I got an e-mail yesteday heavily implying they'll be sending out a batch of interviews soon. Good luck to all of us still keeping our fingers crossed!

GL to you too :xf:

So I've been complete since 9/16, and I'm getting really hoping to hear back from here. Anyone else been complete since then?

Members don't see this ad :)

initials of our name. plus year and then random letter at the end if initials are already in use (ex. abc11 or abc11c)

there is a directory and student profiles in Current Student section, if you want to contact any student personally.

FOR THOSE ACCEPTED and WILL go to FSUCOM
Join the C/O 2016 Facebook Page, meet new future classmates and current medstudents

https://www.facebook.com/groups/256045957763845/

I believe they've just hit a slow spot, chin up guys :)

A couple of the admissions personnel were out of the office over the past week and a half or so. Surely this has slowed them down with processing. Try to keep your hopes up. It is still very early in the season!

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions (MS1 here).

So I've been complete since 9/16, and I'm getting really hoping to hear back from here. Anyone else been complete since then?

I've been complete since about that time as well. I submitted an update to my secondary and inquired about the time frame. I received an e-mail back from them about interview invites. They said that they just got finished with only their 4th week of Regular decision applicants. The applicants they had were finished in July. So as you can imagine, being done in September, there are quite a few people in front of us. The lady I was in correspondence with did indicate they are reviewing based on time of completion. Just a little more patience. Hope this helps. :idea:

Hey Guys,
I just recently finished my secondaries, have been lurking on this site for a while and thought I would post. I got an email from FSU saying that my application was compelte and is now under review. I know my chances are slim with my GPA and MCAT score but I'm an FSU grad and would love to go there. It's so great to see how passionate everyone is about FSU :) Good luck to everyone!

the thing that made the biggest impression upon me from last cycle was how passionate people are about FSU. ~4 people were taken off the waitlist. That means that for nearly every single person who was accepted, it was their first choice of their options. I think that says a lot about the school.

A little sad, I was hoping I'd have an II by now (complete 9/6, interviewed last year and put on the waitlist) but no luck! =(

A little sad, I was hoping I'd have an II by now (complete 9/6, interviewed last year and put on the waitlist) but no luck! =(
Well...if they're only through july apps, I don't think worrying is in order yet :)

Changer, you were all over this site last year and even got an II. For someone who knows the routine, what took you so long to get your completed application submitted? I would have expected yours to be done July 1st... Not to get worried, I'm just wondering?

the thing that made the biggest impression upon me from last cycle was how passionate people are about FSU. ~4 people were taken off the waitlist. That means that for nearly every single person who was accepted, it was their first choice of their options. I think that says a lot about the school.

It was the only school I wanted to apply to :D

Changer, you were all over this site last year and even got an II. For someone who knows the routine, what took you so long to get your completed application submitted? I would have expected yours to be done July 1st... Not to get worried, I'm just wondering?

It's a long story and I don't want to hijack the thread, but I had my application submitted and ready to be verified on June 30th (took a little bit because I rewrote my personal statement and was getting it looked at by some ppl on SDN) and was planning on having everything done by July 30th (pre-wrote everything).

Turns out there is a single class I took at a community college in 10th grade, that last year didn't get caught but was caught this year by a supervisor reviewing my file. So they requested that I send my transcript for that one class.

I send a transcript, thinking, at least it'll only be a week. Turns out the transcript gets lost in the mail. So I send another one. About a week after that I finally get confirmation that it was received.

Submitted June 30th.
Verified August 16th.
Secondary from FSU received August 22nd.
Submitted same day.

Didn't receive any update on the status online for awhile, so I sent Dana an email and she updated it on Sept 9th. Moral of the story? Just cause you were okay last year with transcripts, send them all. lol

Sucks but my app was still complete 2 months earlier than last year. So hopefully I get some love from FSU soon I really loved it when I went last year. Also, it's 48 degrees in boston right now and I'm dying. lol

My secondary wasn't complete until late September... hopefully I'll get an interview invite here!

Does anyone know how FSU compares to UF? Location, research opportunities, rotations, and residency match?
Tuition looks to be a whole lot more affordable...

Just don't overdo the updates. Wait for a couple serious things and then do it.

Hey Guys

I was recently accepted and I am super excited about starting this summer! I am in love with the program and the facilities... I just have a few questions for any current students... Sorry for asking so many.... Do we need to buy stethoscopes or any other equipment? Are there any textbooks or reference materials that are particularly helpful, but not recommended? Where is the best place to get textbooks and about how many will we need to buy during our first year? How do the online materials from the library work? Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

:biglove:

They usually force you to buy one of those doctoring kit type things that has a stethoscope, otoscope, etc. The good news is that the stethoscope they give is a very good one overall. The bad news is that it is included in a kit that you will rarely use. During my MS1, I was able to tell them that I'd buy all the stuff on my own without the special deal and then went off and bought JUST a stethoscope of my choosing and some of the cheap stuff like a reflex hammer, pen light and tuning fork. I liked that because I got a different stethoscope from everyone else and was able to have my name put on it. It becomes much harder to steal when you have a different one from everyone else.

If you can weasel out of the kit and get just a stethoscope, make sure you have a double head cardiology grade model. They will usually run between 100-200 dollars. Littman Cardiology III, Harvey Elite, Harvey Elite DLX, Heine GAMMA C, MDF 797, ADC 601, etc. The overwhelming majority of docs will have one of the first 3 or a master cardiology. The reason you don't want one of those master cardiology single head types is that for OSCE, they like to see you switch from the diaphragm to the bell. There are sound differences, but they are usually pretty subtle for a medical student.

As far as books, the days are gone of having "required" texts. Yes, they give you a huge list with tons of "required" and "recommended" texts, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that actually buys all those. Many people don't buy any textbooks and just use powerpoint slides and online sources. I'm a book person. I usually just did my own research and read the amazon reviews for the best sources overall and ordered from there. Some of the books were the required ones and others were my own sources.

By the time you get to third year, the recommended texts are hardly ever used. You just get whatever you want. I did not buy the surgery or psych recommended texts. I read the reviews and got what I thought was best for me and then answered tons of practice questions. My performance on the shelf exams and rotation were fairly strong.

Last edited:
Is theft really something to worry about at FSU??

Stethoscopes walk off everywhere. So, yes. It doesn't mean it is always intentional but when you have 3 or 4 stethoscopes that look exactly alike, things happen. You will also be in various clinics with preceptors and third year you will be all over the place. While my name on my stethoscope isn't LoJack, it does make it a little less desirable to "borrow" when out and about.

Every school in the country has a majority honest people and a couple that sneak in under the radar who are less than honest. A school's mission does not necessarily make that any less likely. I was king of leaving my crap in one particular room in the LC and in another area and I never had anything stolen. I do know other people who have had stuff go missing though.

A few items went missing this year, but all but one of them were recovered later; they were simply misplaced. The item still missing disappeared at a large house party, so no one really knows what happened to it. I routinely leave out my computer, electronic devices and books, as do many of my classmates, and I have never had or heard of a true problem with theft at the medical school.

And as far as books go, I second what Moss said. I almost never buy any of the texts. I use the lecture notes and board review/First aid for most of my learning, I usually supplement it with resources online; of which there are a plenty. Some of the professors will tell you they draw questions from the required text, but none of those questions can't be answered by having a good grasp on the material that is covered in class. So in summary, my advice? Don't buy any of the books beforehand. You will be inundated with emails from 1st and 2nd years selling their books once you are accepted and receive your email/computer from the school. You can pick and choose what books you want. I can give you a class by class run down on the more useful books if you want to PM me closer to your matriculation.

As far as "must have" books for the first two years of medical, first aid is pretty much the only one. I actually recommend getting it early. This for two reasons.

1) It provides you with a fairly good skeleton of what stuff is important to know for step 1. I would never use it as a solo study device, but glimpsing at it can help gauge what you need to know very well over more trivial fact stuff presented to you.

2) It has the review book/website grades in the back. Very useful as it provides a relatively unbiased summary of board review stuff on the market.

First aid is relatively cheap. I had two major copies. I used one for almost all of the two years and then bought the newest version for step 1 review. I find that we tend to over annotate and put lots of crap in stuff that later is really obvious/easy. It allows a clean slate. Many of the things that were useful I just transferred over to my new edition. It is like 30-40 bucks per book and next to Goljan Rapid Review and my question banks, got by far the most use.

Not in my class, people will leave everything here, laptop, books, ipods, like me for example. If something is taken it is taken by mistake and is returned.
On one really leave their stethoscope around in my class, plus you can easily write your name on them.
I usually leave my stethoscope at home since I use it once a week for preceptor and CSSC

about the medical equipment; i like the fact that I am forced to buy it. Because just like moss i would ONLY gotten the stethoscope but I am so glad I got the other stuff since I use my Blood Pressure stuff at volunteering events, ophthalmoscope at preceptor.

So it is worth it to have. Unless you are going to be that person that will always bumming off your friends when you are practicing MOSCE or FOSCE :laugh:

Hey Guys

I was recently accepted and I am super excited about starting this summer! I am in love with the program and the facilities... I just have a few questions for any current students... Sorry for asking so many.... Do we need to buy stethoscopes or any other equipment? Are there any textbooks or reference materials that are particularly helpful, but not recommended? Where is the best place to get textbooks and about how many will we need to buy during our first year? How do the online materials from the library work? Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

:biglove:

Congrats and Relax and Enjoy the free time, no need to put stress on yourself when you dont have too.
Everything will be provided to you, what you need to buy what you wont. etc..

Mosspoh sleeps with his First Aid.......fact.

Hey guys! I'm considering applying to my alma mater here, but not sure if it's a little too late. I graduated from FSU 2 years ago, am a Florida resident, did research at the FSU med school for 3 years, and my MCAT/GPA falls within the school's average. Since their deadline is in December though, and because they've already granted interviews to a lot of candidates, should I even considering going ahead and adding FSU to my list of schools?

Hey guys! I'm considering applying to my alma mater here, but not sure if it's a little too late. I graduated from FSU 2 years ago, am a Florida resident, did research at the FSU med school for 3 years, and my MCAT/GPA falls within the school's average. Since their deadline is in December though, and because they've already granted interviews to a lot of candidates, should I even considering going ahead and adding FSU to my list of schools?

Why wouldn't you? Worst case scenario, you waste $40 and some time. They admit people until the end of spring semester. Also, having the research in the college will help (assuming your prof liked you and writes a solid letter). Definitely apply, it's a great school.

Which one? The 2008, 2010 or 2011 one? I'm a first aid polygamist

2008 under his pillow, 2010 between his knees and 2011 snuggled right between the arms....we know your ways mosspoh.

You know, sometimes it is nice to be little spoon.

Not in my class, people will leave everything here, laptop, books, ipods, like me for example. If something is taken it is taken by mistake and is returned.
On one really leave their stethoscope around in my class, plus you can easily write your name on them.
I usually leave my stethoscope at home since I use it once a week for preceptor and CSSC

about the medical equipment; i like the fact that I am forced to buy it. Because just like moss i would ONLY gotten the stethoscope but I am so glad I got the other stuff since I use my Blood Pressure stuff at volunteering events, ophthalmoscope at preceptor.

I never had to use it, ever. You can buy blood pressure cuffs very cheap, but I'd be frankly concerned for any clinic that didn't have them. I just said that if I found I needed the stuff, I'd get it. It wasn't that much of a deal they offered. I was able to find comparable stuff cheaper online.

As for as OSCE...never practiced aside from talking through questions. We are all different in that department, but I found them very easy and think my low score was still in the high 80s.

Not buying the stuff saved me so much money, but I also was paying out of pocket, so I tried to stretch out what I had....and the saved money let me buy another question bank for step 1 study. I'm also not going into a specialty that would use any of that stuff. Most of my classmates' kits are collecting dust during third year. I will say it is nice during OSCE if you don't have to navigate the cords, but you really aren't looking for stuff then anyway....just shove it in their ear and say your little script. :p

Question about updates:

If I've submitted either a first-author paper or a co-authored paper to a journal, but it hasn't been published yet, would that be "big" enough for an update, or should I wait until the article is accepted? Thanks.

Question about updates:

If I've submitted either a first-author paper or a co-authored paper to a journal, but it hasn't been published yet, would that be "big" enough for an update, or should I wait until the article is accepted? Thanks.

Thats kind of a tough one.....sometimes it can take a LONG time for a pub to get accepted. It would also depend on how strong of an applicant you are. The goal right now is to get an interview, I'd you think you're def going to get an interview, I wouldn't bother - if you think you're borderline, you need to be submitting that ASAP. Also, you need to remember that FSU isn't as high on research as almost all other universities (sadly). If you have done a ton of research, you might want to leave it off for fear of simply being pigeon holed into the "not going into primary care" file. If this is one of your only rseach projects you might want to add it. Also, consider if you will be updating your app again. I wouldn't want to update my app 10 times, so if you know you are going to have another thing or two to add you may consider omitting it.

Sorry, that's a long way of saying that it depends.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.