2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What do you feel is your most significat non-academic achievement? Why? (Limits of 5 lines)
2. Describe your specific interest in MD program at GW. How do your experiences make you good fit for that? (~20 lines)
3. For 2011-12 application cycle, indicate your activities, academics, employment or other occupation to account for full-time activity (5 lines)
Send it back through regular mail, not online

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First! I'll love to go here.. but way to many applicants to have any real hope.

First! I'll love to go here.. but way to many applicants to have any real hope.

I think you have plenty of hope. Not sure why you're counting yourself out.

I have hope and I have worse numbers than you :D. Very interested in this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus Steve we really do have the same school list. :laugh:

Waitlisted at this school currently, but since it looks like the class is pretty much fool, figure I might as well throw my hat in a bit earlier this year

First choice OOS! I have heard great things about this school. It would be amazing to go to school right where so many changes are being made to the healthcare field!

Hey All,
Received secondaries today. There are three prompts and we need to send it via mail back to them. I think they all are the same from previos year, but here they are:
1. What do you feel is your most significant non-academic accomplishment? Why? (5 lines)
2. Please describe our interest in MD program at GW. How do your experiences make you a good fit for our program? (~20 lines)
3. For 2011-12 application cycle, please indicate activities, academics, employment or other occupation to account for full-time activity. (7 lines)

Good luck fellow GWers! Get excited for this school!
:luck:

did anyone not receive this secondary? i submitted my amcas june 1st =/

did anyone not receive this secondary? i submitted my amcas june 1st =/

Same here: my AMCAS was verified by 6/2. I'm waiting on the secondary too. I wouldn't stress out yet though, they're still probably chugging them out to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG, they need the secondary snail mailed. Do all universities need hardcopies? I am going to be out of country for next 3 weeks. That is going delay my application if all need snail mailed. :(

interesting, even though my primary didn't get verified yet, I still received the secondary

OMG, they need the secondary snail mailed. Do all universities need hardcopies? I am going to be out of country for next 3 weeks. That is going delay my application if all need snail mailed. :(

write the essays now, have your parents fill it out and send it

I just received this secondary but I have not been verified yet!! That was a surprise

write the essays now, have your parents fill it out and send it

Won't work. First, parents are going to be out of country. Second, this needs my signature on the form. Otherwise they will NOT process it. I am okay with this one. But, worried about 15 other secondaries I am going to get between now and within next few days.

You are in all the threads of all my target colleges! Thats awesome! :D Good luck buddy! When do you plan to send the secondaries out?

I get that a lot :). I plan on sending them out as they come as quickly and efficiently as I can. Good luck to you as well.

No.

I know this is going to sound ocd and neurotic, but does the part about an offense include speeding tickets too? (doesn't specify criminal)

I know this is going to sound ocd and neurotic, but does the part about an offense include speeding tickets too? (doesn't specify criminal)

The instructions say to exclude speeding tickets.

Maybe this is silly, but what exactly are they looking for with the 3rd question?

"For 2011-12 application cycle, please indicate activities, academics, employment or other occupation to account for full-time activity."

Are they asking what we will be doing from now until we start medical school?

The instructions say to exclude speeding tickets.

Scratch that- I was mixing this up with another school's app. However, I still do not think that this includes speeding tickets. Just my .02.

Maybe this is silly, but what exactly are they looking for with the 3rd question?

"For 2011-12 application cycle, please indicate activities, academics, employment or other occupation to account for full-time activity."

That's how I interpreted it. We're supposed to detail how we will be active "full-time" until med school.

Scratch that- I was mixing this up with another school's app. However, I still do not think that this includes speeding tickets. Just my .02.

it also depends on how your state views a speeding ticket. in some states it can be a felony...

Hmmm still nothing for me, but since they don't screen, I guess I might as well start writing those 3 essays...

I believe that is what they are asking. However, I am not sure how to go about answering this. I am just leaving my current job because I am moving and do not have a job lined up or any volunteer activities. How are you supposed to know what you will be doing for the rest of the year, unless you have a stable job? Can I just say that I will be looking for a job? (Does not sound very impressive though...)

Finished the secondary just now! Gonna mail it out tomorrow w/o the optional picture. Anyone else gonna send the secondary without a pic?

I've been verified over a week and still no secondary...wtf

I've been verified over a week and still no secondary...wtf

Me too...I submitted my primary June 2nd and I believe today was the first day AMCAS released the data to med schools. If GW doesn't screen, why isn't everyone getting the secondary emails??

So GW in fact does not screen applicants? I'm realizing now that I probably should not have loaned my MSAR to my friends .. haha.

No secondary yet for me either

Secondaries received!

Still no secondary for me either. Maybe Monday.

well why don't the ppl who didn't get the secondary list their stats so we can determine if they screen or not?

well why don't the ppl who didn't get the secondary list their stats so we can determine if they screen or not?

stated clearly on the secondary application

Please note that GW does not screen on the basis of the AMCAS application. We invite all applicants who submit an AMCAS application to GW to complete the secondary application and submit letters of recommendation so that we may review the entire file.

Finished the secondary just now! Gonna mail it out tomorrow w/o the optional picture. Anyone else gonna send the secondary without a pic?

Ya is it worth sending the picture? Would it hurt just waiting to give them one at my interview?

I don't think it would. I'm going to include one though (just because).

Ok I'm going to hold off...dont want my good looks to intimidate them....and because I'm out of state all summer and dont know where to get a photo taken with my suit and all that snazzz

Ok I'm going to hold off...dont want my good looks to intimidate them....and because I'm out of state all summer and dont know where to get a photo taken with my suit and all that snazzz

I didn't know that a super professional picture with a suit was necessary. I'm just using a casual picture (wearing a shirt and a tie, but the tie is loosened a little) for the electronically uploaded ones (MCW and SLU so far). For GWU, since it needs to be mailed, I will probably just go to Walgreen's to go get a passport photo. As long as you don't send them a ridiculous picture, I think that this portion of the app is of very little significance. Just my .02.

is it a passport photo or just any regular photo that i can cut to that size? there were no indication so i wasn't sure. what do you guys think? i mean obviously a formal picture but i just had professional pictures taken for my sorority so i figured i would just use that.

is it a passport photo or just any regular photo that i can cut to that size? there were no indication so i wasn't sure. what do you guys think? i mean obviously a formal picture but i just had professional pictures taken for my sorority so i figured i would just use that.

Either one. I'm doing a passport photo.

they don't screen. and even if they started this year w/o telling anyone, i wouldn't be screened out

still waiting on the .2*0.

I believe somewhere on the secondary, or in the instructions, it mentioned that they do not screen before sending secondaries. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.

Is number 3 asking what you will be doing during the cycle or is it asking what you have done in the past? Sorry I know that question may be a little dumb

Is number 3 asking what you will be doing during the cycle or is it asking what you have done in the past? Sorry I know that question may be a little dumb

pretty sure they mean from june of 2011 until matriculation.

Do we think GW will start reviewing secondary right away?

Anyone else still waiting on getting the secondary email from GW?

Status
Not open for further replies.