2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woo! end of jan interviewee here

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed mid-January. Are decisions being released today or tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
GT said that they essentially only re-review people who send letters after they are placed on the CAP -- does anyone remember if those letters should be submitted by mail, e-mail, or through the application site? If it's by email, should it go straight to Dr. Lauerman?

GT said that they essentially only re-review people who send letters after they are placed on the CAP -- does anyone remember if those letters should be submitted by mail, e-mail, or through the application site? If it's by email, should it go straight to Dr. Lauerman?

They should be sent by email to either Ms. Sullivan or the Gtown Admissions email address. I sent mine to Ms. Sullivan and she emailed me shortly after saying it had been placed in my file and put on Dr. Lauerman's desk for review.

I'm curious, has anyone gotten off the wait list after sending only one LOI?

Rejected post interview today, interviewed 1/16. But that's ok I wasn't gonna go there anyway. Good luck everyone!

I sent a follow-up LOI recently, and asked when decisions on CAP will be made. But I never got a response from Ms. Sullivan. I felt that was strange. Did everybody here get a reply from Ms. Sullivan after sending her an LOl?

I sent a follow-up LOI recently, and asked when decisions on CAP will be made. But I never got a response from Ms. Sullivan. I felt that was strange. Did everybody here get a reply from Ms. Sullivan after sending her an LOl?

From my experience, she usually makes some form of reply to you. Usually, she says that the LOI is added to your file or placed onto Dr. Lauerman's desk...

Looking for some advice- I have an update to send post-interview but pre-decision, should I update on the secondary website or send an email? thanks a lot for any help

Hey! You should send it by e-mail. I was just in contact with Ms. Sullivan, and she told me that things uploaded to that portal are not then printed out. All of my updates hadn't been looked at! Haha, so I was sure to e-mail them to her, and you should do the same. Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious, has anyone gotten off the wait list after sending only one LOI?

I sent two...one the day I was put on the CAP, one exactly a month later. I got accepted 2 days before I would have sent my third letter. And for the record, I emailed it and addressed it to Dr. Lauerman, but never got any receipt of confirmation.

For those accepted, did you receive your financial aid package? If so did it take long and are they generous with institutional aid? Thanks!

Most live either in Foxhall or in Glover Park. Some people live in Dupont or Rosslyn and take the GUTs. However, most people live near campus, and it is much more convenient. I would suggest looking around for deals near campus because saving money for a house further away has it's own problems. Many renters actually look for med students specifically so you can find nice places and good deals (and they may be hard to find at first looking around on craigslist).

Soon an accepted applicants social network should be opening up which is just for accepted students (you'll get an email inviting you). Some renters even post housing listings there. That's where most people seem to communicate and find roommates.

Thanks! This was really helpful. Did anybody create a facebook group yet?

For those accepted, did you receive your financial aid package? If so did it take long and are they generous with institutional aid? Thanks!

I just received my financial aid award.

Definitely not generous.

$80,000 in loans for the first year, over $30,000 of that is grad plus loans which is at 7.9%.

I just called them and asked them why I received no need-based or institutional aid and they said my parent's income disqualified me for it.

Then I asked them, so I can expect to have at least $320,000 in debt when I graduate.
They said, that is correct.

I really don't understand how they can claim an average indebtedness of less than $200,000. I am by no means rich nor will my parents be contributing a penny.

I haven't fully gotten my head around coming out with >$300,000 in loans. With interest that will be well over half a million dollars paid out over the course of my life. How can anyone in primary care make a living?

This definitely puts me off matriculating here.

Last edited:
What about merit based scholarships? do those only come out when you get accepted?

I just received my financial aid award.

Definitely not generous.

$80,000 in loans for the first year, over $30,000 of that is grad plus loans which is at 7.9%.

I just called them and asked them why I received no need-based or institutional aid and they said my parent's income disqualified me for it.

Then I asked them, so I can expect to have at least $320,000 in debt when I graduate.
They said, that is correct.

I really don't understand how they can claim an average indebtedness of less than $200,000. I am by no means rich nor will my parents be contributing a penny.

I haven't fully gotten my head around coming out with >$300,000 in loans. With interest that will be well over half a million dollars paid out over the course of my life. How can anyone in primary care make a living?

This definitely puts me off matriculating here.

I got my financial aid package today as well. I got some need-based aid but I don't know if its enough to convince me to go there. Still going to be 250,000 in debt. :(

I got my financial aid package today as well. I got some need-based aid but I don't know if its enough to convince me to go there. Still going to be 250,000 in debt. :(

i think it's very deceiving how their tuition is 45k but then if you look at the COA posted on their website, they charge 5k in "fees"

...so basicallly their tuition is 50k :(

Questions for those of you who have gotten your institutional aid award:

I submitted my info already, but when I log into MyAccess... I don't see the award packet. Is there is a specific place to look, or perhaps could it just not be up yet? Thanks!

Last edited:
Questions for those of you who have gotten your institutional aid award:

I submitted my info already, but when I log into MyAccess... I don't see the award packet. Is there is a specific place to look, or perhaps could it just not be up yet? Thanks!

login to my access -> financial aid -> award information -> select 2012-2013 -> click submit -> award overview.

If that doesn't work you can always check status:

login to my access -> financial aid -> student requirements -> select 2012-2013.

hope you get lots o lots o money :luck:

login to my access -> financial aid -> award information -> select 2012-2013 -> click submit -> award overview.

If that doesn't work you can always check status:

login to my access -> financial aid -> student requirements -> select 2012-2013.

hope you get lots o lots o money :luck:

Thanks, wejammin!

Does anyone have any idea when Dr. Lauerman will be reviewing the CAP again? It's been more than a month since people were last pulled.

I interviewed in late January. Its been about 8 weeks, so I emailed Mrs. Sullivan yesterday to see when I might expect to hear back. She said that they meeting today and discussing my file and that I would hear back early next week. So any other late January interviews should probably expect a decision by early next week.

Does anyone have any idea when Dr. Lauerman will be reviewing the CAP again? It's been more than a month since people were last pulled.

I've been waiting too. Emailed Mrs. Sullivan today, and got the following response -

We are behind two final reviews, so Dr. Lauerman has not reviewed the letter writer pool. The most activity will be between mid-April and mid-June when those holding multiple accepts must withdraw and new accepts must be issued.​

Looks like we're gonna be waiting for a while...

Do we need a current student to start a facebook group for accepted students or can we just go ahead and start one since we have our email accounts?

Anyone knows if Georgetown has sent out interview invites for the current SMP students yet?

I was accepted off the waitlist back in February, but haven't received any sort of "Reserve a seat in the class" form that is usually sent out. Is there anything we have to send them in order to confirm that we intend to matriculate? Or do we just wait for information...this lack of communication with them is kind of scaring me!

I was accepted off the waitlist back in February, but haven't received any sort of "Reserve a seat in the class" form that is usually sent out. Is there anything we have to send them in order to confirm that we intend to matriculate? Or do we just wait for information...this lack of communication with them is kind of scaring me!

There was nothing required for confirmation of an acceptance offer.

I just got the accept email on Tuesday morning!! I'm so excited! :)

Interviewed 2/2

Got accepted Tuesday, interviewed 1/25. Anyone going to Second-look?

Anyone knows if Georgetown has sent out interview invites for the current SMP students yet?

Yes, the SMP class have recieved their interview invites. Last week or the week before I believe. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

Has anyone opened a facebook page for you guys yet? If not I can ask someone from 2015 to open it up for you guys. Let me know if you have one yet.

Has anyone opened a facebook page for you guys yet? If not I can ask someone from 2015 to open it up for you guys. Let me know if you have one yet.

I don't think there's a facebook group yet - can you do that? Thanks!:)

Okay, I will talk to some people from the 2015 class and have an update for you by Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.