2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, the Class of 2016 Facebook page is now up! If you have been accepted and want to join send me a PM.

P-SAC

can you post the link and just cross-reference our names via the other social network through the school?

Members don't see this ad.

If I may ask those kind sirs/madams who've sent in 2 or even 3 LOIs, what did you guys write in your subsequent letters?
Without any major updates in the past few months, I find myself merely "re-re-reiterating my interest" as I write a new LOI. And as there are only a finite number of reasons that have drawn me to Georgetown...I'm wondering if multiple similar LOIs will actually help?

Any wisdom?

If I may ask those kind sirs/madams who've sent in 2 or even 3 LOIs, what did you guys write in your subsequent letters?
Without any major updates in the past few months, I find myself merely "re-re-reiterating my interest" as I write a new LOI. And as there are only a finite number of reasons that have drawn me to Georgetown...I'm wondering if multiple similar LOIs will actually help?

Any wisdom?

I wrote one letter, simply reiterating my interest in the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back recently who wasn't on CAP? I interviewed in Feb. and still haven't heard anything.

Seems pretty late to be handing out decisions with May 15 less than a month away...

has anyone received an acceptance packet of any form? I was accepted a few weeks ago, and they said that they would be sending one out sometime in april.

Chill out and wait

if you call them, they actually tell you that they don't send out an application packet. You should get an email soon inviting you to the GT social network...not too much on there but it makes it seem more official

Interviewed 2/15...CAP'd today 4/18 - so decisions are coming out

I've scavenged this whole forum and cannot find Ms. Sullivan's email to send a letter of update/interest. I was wondering if someone could please post her email here!! Thanks

Accepted today. Just got a phone call but no letter/email yet. Interviewed 2/10. Good luck to all!

I was accepted off the CAP on April 10, waitlisted in March, and interviewed early January. It changed my status to accepted but I never got a phone call? Did everyone who got accepted get a call?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted off the CAP on April 10, waitlisted in March, and interviewed early January. It changed my status to accepted but I never got a phone call? Did everyone who got accepted get a call?

Exact same timeline for me. No phone call. I guess we're not that special :rolleyes:.

Hey all, got accepted today after interviewing late Feb. Will be withdrawing soon, good luck to you all.

Is anyone else having a miserable time finding housing near campus?

Is anyone else having a miserable time finding housing near campus?
Unless you go a little further out from the immediate campus area, so Fauxhall and north burleith area, you will have a hard time at this point. A lot of the townhouses and such for rent were leased last October or so because a lot of Juniors and Seniors from the undergrad live off campus in the same neighborhoods.

YES. I cant find anything... I hope something opens up soon though.

Try Rosslyn, cheaper and there's a GUTS bus that goes there.

Good idea. I spoke to a few med students who said it was very convenient living within walking distance of campus, particularly when staying on campus until late at night, so that's why I haven't looked farther out. Would you say most med students live outside the immediate Georgetown/Foxhall/Burleith area? I noticed Dupont Circle has a GUTS bus stop as well.

Good idea. I spoke to a few med students who said it was very convenient living within walking distance of campus, particularly when staying on campus until late at night, so that's why I haven't looked farther out. Would you say most med students live outside the immediate Georgetown/Foxhall/Burleith area? I noticed Dupont Circle has a GUTS bus stop as well.

Most of the med students I know live outside the Georgetown area, but that may be because they're mostly my friends from undergrad there and know the area better. Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan are both awesome neighborhoods that are close. The DC Circulator is a great bus that runs down Wisconsin and then east on M Street so it runs fairly close to the med school campus. There are also a number of buses that go down Reservoir Road, the busy road on the north end of campus that borders the med school. I'd say that if you can't find reasonable housing in Georgetown (which may be nearly impossible, I remember paying $900/month plus utilities to split a house with six people in Burleith), your best bet is to a) live close to a GUTS bus stop, or B) live close to a bus route that runs past Georgetown and get a SmarTrip card.

YES. I cant find anything... I hope something opens up soon though.
If you want to live near campus then I totally understand that. However, in my personal opinion living in the Dupont Circle or Rosslyn area would probably give you a better living experience. Yes you would have to take a free bus to campus everyday, but they run every 20 minutes, and run every 5 during peak times (8-9 and (5-6). But more importantly, I think it gives you a better sense of DC and gives you many more options during the free-time you have. I have been an undergrad here for four years and although the Georgetown area is very nice, it got old rather quickly once I turned 21. But if you are more focused on the school part then yea, I would try foxhaul or maybe a little more north of campus (anything from wisconsin and 35th and a few blocks north are not that far away from the medical school.

I wouldn't want to depend on GUTS the day of an exam. Especially with inclement weather. Just saying.

I wouldn't want to depend on GUTS the day of an exam. Especially with inclement weather. Just saying.
Touche, but does the medical school not follow the same status as the university? Or does that not apply to days of exams?

Most students live in Foxhall or in Glover Park, both are about 10-15 minute walks to campus.

I would recommend living near campus. It's just convenient. Most people I know who live far from campus don't go to class and only show up when they need to. It's definitely nice having a bunch of other med students around for social reasons. It's true that Gtown itself does get a little boring. However, you don't really have a ton of free time, and when you do, it's easy to get to Dupont or Adams Morgan (by public transportation, GUTS, or even cabs are reasonable if you have a few people). It's more expensive near campus, but I think it is the better option personally. If you just have a bit of time to chill with friends, living far will just be annoying since pretty much everyone lives close together. If you want to avoid other students at all costs, by all means move far away. But most people hang with other med students, so living close is a very good thing. I would definitely live close first year, and then maybe consider moving away second year if you really want to.

Another note about GUTS. They run about every two hours or so on Saturdays and not at all on Sundays. Not always the convenient option.

You should be able to find housing in Foxhall or Glover Park. I didn't find my place until June, so there's time. Keep looking, but also wait for the social network to open up. People post listings on there specifically because they want med students. Or, you can find roomies who already have a house, or find a group to help make the search easier.

Will be declining my acceptance sometime in the next week or so. Good luck to all!

Called just now to ask when I'll hear back. Interviewed 2/27. They said I'll get a decision at the beginning of next week.

Is UWBadgers the only person to hear back (yes, no, or waitlisted) from the late February interviewees? As in, 2/27 or later.

Hey everyone looking for housing, start by looking around on Craigslist. Seriously. I found my place there, and its only a 10 min to campus. Also, try checking out upperclassmen's Facebook pages (If you have access to them; not sure if you do). I know some people have posted openings in their houses. There are also people who rent specifically to medical students, so check with the school. They often post fliers around, and I think admissions may have a list.

Keep in mind that housing is expensive around here. Sorry, it just is. You can expect to pay somewhere around $1300/mo for a one bedroom near campus, somewhere around $900 for a room in a house. I will say though that I couldn't find anything in Rosslyn that was anywhere close to as cheap as where I live now, and I even have a parking spot thrown in. There are openings now all over the place, but I didn't find my place until June (when the undergrads started moving out). You have time! And congrats. You will like it here, I promise.

Deferring my acceptance until next year, so a space should open up for this class. Good luck to all those still waiting!

do you guys think dean brandon schneider's departure means anything in terms of the school's administration?

I'm not sure why he is leaving but anybody know more about this?

Most students live in Foxhall or in Glover Park, both are about 10-15 minute walks to campus.

I would recommend living near campus. It's just convenient. Most people I know who live far from campus don't go to class and only show up when they need to. It's definitely nice having a bunch of other med students around for social reasons. It's true that Gtown itself does get a little boring. However, you don't really have a ton of free time, and when you do, it's easy to get to Dupont or Adams Morgan (by public transportation, GUTS, or even cabs are reasonable if you have a few people). It's more expensive near campus, but I think it is the better option personally. If you just have a bit of time to chill with friends, living far will just be annoying since pretty much everyone lives close together. If you want to avoid other students at all costs, by all means move far away. But most people hang with other med students, so living close is a very good thing. I would definitely live close first year, and then maybe consider moving away second year if you really want to.

Another note about GUTS. They run about every two hours or so on Saturdays and not at all on Sundays. Not always the convenient option.

You should be able to find housing in Foxhall or Glover Park. I didn't find my place until June, so there's time. Keep looking, but also wait for the social network to open up. People post listings on there specifically because they want med students. Or, you can find roomies who already have a house, or find a group to help make the search easier.

I definitely want to echo this- living close to school feels much more convenient for me because it prevents wasting time in transit to school (no need to metro or drive) and blocks out all the distractions of DC and its awesome night life.

Just to clarify for the GUTS- it does go to glover park area, but not the foxhall area. And I totally agree with the above post about checking social network or facebook group- students will start to come out looking for roomates, if you're interested, and people in the area will post their rentals (if you and a significant other want your own place).

Craigslist works too, but be careful because 1) we all know anyone can take pretty pictures, which can be a complete distortion of reality, and post them, 2) lots of apartment complexes will post saying they are in "Georgetown" and in reality they can be in virginia or maryland, and are just trying to get everyone to look at their listing.

PM for any specific questions on housing, curriculum, or any other questions that stimulate your curiosity.

do you guys think dean brandon schneider's departure means anything in terms of the school's administration? No

I'm not sure why he is leaving but anybody know more about this?
He's going on a completely different path, to become a religious preacher, which I totally commend him for. So its nothing to do with administration or switching jobs at another school because of a problem with us here, just following another path of life.

can you post the link and just cross-reference our names via the other social network through the school?

Has anyone gotten an invite/been able to get into the class of 2016 facebook page? Haven't gotten a response from PS yet.

So I'm looking at UT's budget and they have estimated $8,370 for books and supplies for M1. This vastly surpasses the other schools I've compared this budget too...does anyone know why it's so high?

wrong thread?

....is anyone else still trying to decide if you are going to matriculate...if so what sort of factors are you using to help make your choice? Thanks!

Last edited:
is cleveland park considered far away from campus? I"m trying to find a place around campus that other med students will be near to

is cleveland park considered far away from campus? I"m trying to find a place around campus that other med students will be near to

I'd say so; from that area to campus is about a 45-55 minute walk. There are other closer options that I would consider first. Several med students at the second look mentioned living in Burleith, Foxhall, Glover Park and across the river in Rosslyn (where a GUTS bus regularly runs on weekdays). Good luck in your search!

CAPped via email this morning. Interviewed 2/27.

I withdrew from the CAP today, best of luck to those still waiting to hear back!

Accepeted today. Interviewed 3/9. Best of luck!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I submitted a letter of interest this weekend. Ms. Sullivan responded today saying that Dr. Lauerman will likely not read letters til the end of May (presumably once they have a better idea of how many spots are open).

Congrats on your acceptance!

I submitted a letter of interest this weekend. Ms. Sullivan responded today saying that Dr. Lauerman will likely not read letters til the end of May (presumably once they have a better idea of how many spots are open).

when were you CAPped?

I was CAP´d this weekend by email also. What did Ms. Sullivan say we should include in our letter of interest if we were waitlsited/CAP´d?

I was CAP´d this weekend by email also. What did Ms. Sullivan say we should include in our letter of interest if we were waitlsited/CAP´d?

A 3-paragraph persuasive letter addressed to Dr. Lauerman, Chair, Committee on Admissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.