2011-2012 Hofstra Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please describe the activities or programs in which you have participated in since college graduation.

If you are currently enrolled as a student, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this application to the start of medical school.

If your education was interrupted for any reason, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time.

Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institution or legal)? If yes, please explain.

If there is anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention, please share that.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be applying here - 15 minutes from where I grew up :thumbup:

I might apply here, don't know how I feel about a new med school though

Members don't see this ad :)
1 out of 2 new med schools i'll be applying to! :D

I'm UG here, so I'm applying. Easy distance for interviewing! Plus their curriculum is all new and fancy. No lecturing at all, if that works for you.

Anyone know how big the class will be this year? On their website they say adding 20 every year until they reach 100, but the Hofstra thread from last year of people that interviewed said they will double it this year. Can anyone clarify?

Applying here too.

Anyone have any idea when secondaries come out?

CLASS OF 2016!!!

Anyone know how big the class will be this year? On their website they say adding 20 every year until they reach 100, but the Hofstra thread from last year of people that interviewed said they will double it this year. Can anyone clarify?
Hmm I would doubt that. The Commonwealth Medical College tried to increase their class size as a new school, and LCME told them that they couldn't until they graduated some students successfully. See last years thread for all the gory uproar

I am super on the fence about Hofstra, anyone want to offer some insight as to why they are applying or not?

I am super on the fence about Hofstra, anyone want to offer some insight as to why they are applying or not?
I'm applying here because it seems like many new schools are very open to input from students. Also, it is close to my family, which would make the whole med school ordeal just a little bit easier. :)

Im applying here, I met with the director of admissions at a medical school convention and she's extremely nice. The things she stated of whats to come for Hofstra, im really looking forward to.

So good luck to everyone.

CLASS of 16'

The class size should be 60 for our cycle - that's what I was told recently by two deans/admin connected to the medical school.

I had no idea hoofstra was opening a med school til I read this thread! I definitely will be applying as 1 of my NY schools. I live in suffolk however I hate it, hence why stonybrook isn't an option. I will definitely be applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's thread, it didn't come out until August, but that was the first cycle, so it might come in sooner. There's no real way to tell.

Secondary is sorta up - I stumbled across it while checking my email, but you need a my.Hofstra portal. Since it looks ready and everything (I think, but there's no big essays, just these little guys), that suggests it will arrive shortly to your email.

Questions: Word Count for each is 300 max.
Please describe the activities or programs in which you have participated in since college graduation.

If you are currently enrolled as a student, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this application to the start of medical school.

If your education was interrupted for any reason, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time.

Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institution or legal)? If yes, please explain.

If there is anything your application does not include, but that you would like to bring to our attention, please share that.

anyone else get the secondary yet?

I still don't have anything official, and the offices are closed until Tuesday.

Anyone know the numerical statistics of previously accepted students?

I'm not sure if they've been posted yet. USNews has nothing.

Passed the screen and got invited to submit a secondary :D. I had no idea they screened! Anyone know how tough the screen is?

Passed the screen and got invited to submit a secondary :D. I had no idea they screened! Anyone know how tough the screen is?

Didnt know they had a screen either, though their screen isn't terribly bad. Here you go:

Applicants who possess a minimum MCAT score of 25 and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 will receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application automatically via email. Please allow up to two weeks after submitting your AMCAS application to receive this application.

From: http://medicine.hofstra.edu/admission/md/mdadmissions_application_req.html

Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institution or legal)? Yes No No Response
If yes, please explain.

i received the email with the link and my password but when I click the link, there is no area where I can type in my user name and password. Anyone else have this problem? the link im using is My.Hofstra.edu

Last edited:
they have some serious payment issues....i feel like my personal 24 hr secondary turnaround time is useless with all these tech glitches :(

Didnt know they had a screen either, though their screen isn't terribly bad. Here you go:

Applicants who possess a minimum MCAT score of 25 and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 will receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application automatically via email. Please allow up to two weeks after submitting your AMCAS application to receive this application.

From: http://medicine.hofstra.edu/admission/md/mdadmissions_application_req.html

me too :)

grr.. the screen is pretty much nothing...

Thanks, guys!

i received the email with the link and my password but when I click the link, there is no area where I can type in my user name and password. Anyone else have this problem? the link im using is My.Hofstra.edu

hmm, it opened for me though. although it tells me that IE 9 will not be supported. Are you using internet explorer 9? For me (Google chrome), the login windows appear on top right corner.
Thanks!

done.
Nice, painless secondary. :)

Did you guys write anything for the last question?

Hi,

This is my first time applying and my first secondary, so I was wondering if anyone can answer my questions.

for the essay that asks for activities and programs since college graduation. What are they looking for if I put all my activities and programs in amcas?

also the third question:I graduated 3 years ago, so do those 3 years count as education interruption?

thanks
perfectcoat

Anybody else having problems submitting? It keeps giving me an error with credit card processing.

Anybody else having problems submitting? It keeps giving me an error with credit card processing.

Go check your cc statement. You're probably being charged each time you go through the process. Might wanna call your card company lol

Go check your cc statement. You're probably being charged each time you go through the process. Might wanna call your card company lol

Yea it looks like it may have actually went through every time I submitted that....great.

Yea it looks like it may have actually went through every time I submitted that....great.
Yeah it's giving me an error too...I just tried it twice. Did it actually go through? The application is not showing as completed. This is ridiculous.

Yeah it's giving me an error too...I just tried it twice. Did it actually go through? The application is not showing as completed. This is ridiculous.

Well I thought maybe it was my credit card so I used a different one. On the different one I can check my statement online and it said it is pending charges for Hostra. I submitted the other credit card about 5 times...I am thinking it probably went through every time if it did for my other one. It doesn't say mine is processed either.

so is hofstra gonna refund our money back or what? i did it twice....

I did it twice too and sure enough both showed up as pending transactions. Quite the scheme to bring in a little extra cash.

Mine was deemed unsuccessful, but the money went through. Anyone already called?

OMG!! I was fortunate to be able to submit without issues, but my completed secondary disappeared from their file!

I tried checking my status today, a day after receiving a confirmation email saying my file was complete. Yesterday, there used to be a link in myhofstra saying my supplemental application was processed, and now it's gone@@

anyone else having similar issues?

:'(

I'm holding off on this one until I get word that the system is working properly.

Hey guys,
I fee like everyone needs to relax! I think if we notified the admissions office about the glitches, they will take care of it. They are only in their second year! There is bound to be some mistakes. Relax and enjoy the process..(look who is talking, still checking AMCAS every 2 minutes to be verified)... :D :D

I submitted my payment, but my app does not appear to have gone through, so I'm in the same boat. I'll give until tomorrow before I call, because of the email that says they are aware.

OMG!! I was fortunate to be able to submit without issues, but my completed secondary disappeared from their file!

I tried checking my status today, a day after receiving a confirmation email saying my file was complete. Yesterday, there used to be a link in myhofstra saying my supplemental application was processed, and now it's gone@@

anyone else having similar issues?

:'(
the same thing happened to me, and I don't see any option to resubmit :confused:

I just talked to the Office of Admissions. The very nice man told me that the situation is close to being resolved, either today or very early next week. They will send out an email to everyone saying that their application has been received, and they will also give out reimbursements soon after.

Basically, if you were charged, your app went through, but they'll send you an email to confirm it.

Status
Not open for further replies.