2011-2012 Hofstra Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are need-based and other scholarships, as well as the really favorable NSLIJ loan terms. Especially with subsidized Staffords getting dropped this year, 5% interest and a 48-month grace period after graduation is pretty much the best deal you can get.
I would call admissions and ask for more info about scholarships.
Hope you can make it out to second look.

Members don't see this ad.

edit:

are you kidding me? go to penn.

Well, I know this seems like a no brainer, but if Penn is $53,000 a year, and Hofstra were to chuck me a 50% merit, then you reallly have to think if Penn is worth $100,000 more, plus significant interest you will pay on the extra $100,000 in loans, which might make the true cost more like $170,000.

You don't have to make your decision until May 15 and if cost is a big factor for you, you should wait until you get fin aid packages from both schools. Figure out what you're going to be borrowing at both and whats going to get paid back after interest. Unless you get a lot of free money from Penn, Hofstra will have much cheaper tuition cost. Especially if you get the NSLIJ loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I know this seems like a no brainer, but if Penn is $53,000 a year, and Hofstra were to chuck me a 50% merit, then you reallly have to think if Penn is worth $100,000 more, plus significant interest you will pay on the extra $100,000 in loans, which might make the true cost more like $170,000.

Definitely go to Hofstra due to the cost savings.
Oh, bye the way post your name and address in this thread so that people on the Penn waitlist can send you flowers and candy each month for helping them out.
Are you for real?

^ It's not totally unreasonable.
Owing less money is always better than owing more. I'm not sure Penn over Hofstra is going to earn you 170,000 more over your first 10 years out of school.
I'm happy I will have a much lower debt burden than if I went to a different school. I'll be able to buy a house and car earlier and with less pressure than if I owed more than twice what I will.

Depends on what you want to do with your MD. If you are interested in private practice, it really doesn't matter which MD program u come out of.

I'd personally go to Penn, because i am more interested in health policy and management (yes i am a sell out ,if that's how u view it). Because, in case where u want to do other stuff with your MD, then school "name" matters more.

also, if you are interested in doing research, i am sure penn is more established for that reason.

figure out where u wanna work (LI? then hofstra). then make ur choice from there.

Interviewed in feb... Wait listed today... Anyone know if the wait list moves?

Also interviewed in February and waitlisted this morning.

Interviewed in December, also waitlisted.

Thank you for your continued interest in becoming a student at the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine. We enjoyed meeting you during your interview, and we appreciate the patience you have shown.

"We have reviewed your completed application and are impressed with your qualifications and motivation to succeed. At this time, we are placing your application on our waitlist, so that you may remain under consideration while we continue our rolling admissions process. Please keep in mind that the admissions process may continue until our first day of orientation, July 26, 2012. You will always be notified via email and postal mail when a change has been made regarding your status. "

Here too on the waitlist. They say they accept letters of intent, but here's my problem the only school I would choose over Hofstra is Irvine, for price family etc. and I'm wait listed there as well.

Is it possible to format a letter of intent without 100% committing? I feel like a letter of intent says " I will attend no matter what." where what I want to do is sent a letter of interest saying "you're awesome and one of my very top choices." As of now, I would attend Hofstra over my two other acceptances. Do you think a letter of interest would also be well received?

Waitlist as well - does anyone know if there are 2 waitlists this year? Last year there seemed to be a high priority and a regular one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well. I wonder how long it is.

Waitlist as well - does anyone know if there are 2 waitlists this year? Last year there seemed to be a high priority and a regular one?

I was wondering there same thing. This year they also seem to be calling it an actual waitlist though, as opposed to alternate list.

Waitlisted, interviewed in Oct. Acceptd at NYU... Hmm I'll pick NYU :D

Also on the wait list... interviewed 2/9. FOURTH wait listing for me. oh boy.

Waitlisted also-any acceptances out there?

Also on the wait list... interviewed 2/9. FOURTH wait listing for me. oh boy.

I feel you, third wait list for me. At least it's better than rejections though, right? There's still hope at least. :luck:

Third wait list for me too and no acceptances yet... Here's to staying positive!

I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else in a similar position?

I interviewed in October and haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else in a similar position?

you might want to give them a nudge and see what's up. It's not like rejection letters haven't started flying yet, so i think you have every right to ask about your status.

good luck, and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back.

I'll be dropping my acceptance in the next day or two... hope one of you gets it if you really need it !

Last year, those who didn't hear about a waitlist or rejection were priority waitlisted a few days later. If that is the case, all of us who were waitlisted probably don't stand a chance.

Last year, those who didn't hear about a waitlist or rejection were priority waitlisted a few days later. If that is the case, all of us who were waitlisted probably don't stand a chance.

Oh man you're probably right. I won't be holding out much hope then since I was normal wait listed....

Yeah but no one at all on this thread mentioned being waitlisted until we all just did a few days ago. It seems like it's different this year.

i just called --

acceptances are sent out on a rolling basis anytime from your interview thru july
mid-march is when they'll email waitlist or rejections

and there was this ^
back on Page 11 of the thread

My opinion is don't worry about the waitlist situation last year. It was their first year doing admissions and I'm sure they've changed up things this time around. There's really little point in speculating, anyway. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. And send in lots of love letters if they're receptive to them.

any news? thread is silent

i'm pretty sure nothing will start happening until may 15th though

just withdrew my acceptance... good luck guys :)

Accepted recently....however, I am going to be withdrawing.

I have been a longtime lurker on SDN, but I felt I should share my thoughts with others who are considering Hofstra.

I attended 2nd Look this past weekend and only 30 or so people showed up. The whole time I felt like Hofstra and its students were trying to sell me on the school. I don't know about anybody else but I absolutely hate that feeling. I feel like the merits of the curriculum should speak for themselves. I am a future medical student who can develop my own opinions. Thus, I don't need to be sold. Moreover, although the curriculum sounds nice in theory, there are no results to prove it is effective. In a couple of years when statistics are released, it will be easier to evaluate Hofstra. I just don't think I could take such a big risk with my medical education, unless I have no other options.

You could also tell that the administration was worried about admissions for this year because last year they gave out nifty scholarships to incentivize students to matriculate to the school. This year, it is based solely on the reputation of the school. I also talked to a couple of students who candidly shared that they were worried about matching into competitive residencies. The reality is that the administrators and faculty have never helped to match students before. Hence, they lack the experience and networking that such an endeavor entails. Yes, Hofstra can probably pull strings for NSLIJ residencies (or so they say), but as a New Yorker who is familiar with the mediocrity of the health system, I really do not want to depend on this.

I spent a day visiting the North Shore-LIJ affiliated hospitals to get a third-party perspective from those involved with the system but not immediately related to the medical school. Although the health system is large, the quality of the hospitals seemed supremely subpar (with the exception of University Hospital). I spoke with physicians, residents, rotating medical students, nurses....about anybody that could offer an opinion about how the hospitals and medical school compare to others. The reaction I got was really negative.

I apologize about my rant, especially to those that are seriously considering Hofstra. I am not trying to knock the school. I just wanted to share my view and advise others to truly research their prospective schools, especially if they are new. Don’t always believe what you hear. Form your own opinions. Again, this is only my experience. Others may fall in love with the school, and be able to take the required leap of faith.

I have been a longtime lurker on SDN, but I felt I should share my thoughts with others who are considering Hofstra.

I attended 2nd Look this past weekend and only 30 or so people showed up. The whole time I felt like Hofstra and its students were trying to sell me on the school. I don't know about anybody else but I absolutely hate that feeling. I feel like the merits of the curriculum should speak for themselves. I am a future medical student who can develop my own opinions. Thus, I don't need to be sold. Moreover, although the curriculum sounds nice in theory, there are no results to prove it is effective. In a couple of years when statistics are released, it will be easier to evaluate Hofstra. I just don't think I could take such a big risk with my medical education, unless I have no other options.

You could also tell that the administration was worried about admissions for this year because last year they gave out nifty scholarships to incentivize students to matriculate to the school. This year, it is based solely on the reputation of the school. I also talked to a couple of students who candidly shared that they were worried about matching into competitive residencies. The reality is that the administrators and faculty have never helped to match students before. Hence, they lack the experience and networking that such an endeavor entails. Yes, Hofstra can probably pull strings for NSLIJ residencies (or so they say), but as a New Yorker who is familiar with the mediocrity of the health system, I really do not want to depend on this.

I spent a day visiting the North Shore-LIJ affiliated hospitals to get a third-party perspective from those involved with the system but not immediately related to the medical school. Although the health system is large, the quality of the hospitals seemed supremely subpar (with the exception of University Hospital). I spoke with physicians, residents, rotating medical students, nurses....about anybody that could offer an opinion about how the hospitals and medical school compare to others. The reaction I got was really negative.

I apologize about my rant, especially to those that are seriously considering Hofstra. I am not trying to knock the school. I just wanted to share my view and advise others to truly research their prospective schools, especially if they are new. Don’t always believe what you hear. Form your own opinions. Again, this is only my experience. Others may fall in love with the school, and be able to take the required leap of faith.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. They are certainly understandable and valid concerns.

For a class size of 60, I'd say 30 people showing up is not bad, no?

If I got 50% on a test I would be pretty bummed...

If I got 50% on a test I would be pretty bummed...
Do other schools get much more than 50% attendance at revisit? I would think they might even get less since they are more likely to overlap. That said, other schools also overaccept, so 50% could be the class size.

Seems normal enough to me. A lot of people have work/school/other obligations and can't make it to second look.

I'm sorry re-visit day was not the kind of experience you were hoping for. We definitely wanted to show you our excitement about the school and how our experience so far has been really positive.

I don't know which NSLIJ hospitals you visited, but there are several University hospitals in the system (North Shore, LIJ, Staten Island and Lenox Hill/ MEETH) as well as many more community hospitals that serve their local areas, primarily. They are all very different, with different focuses partly due to the areas they serve. You can't expect advanced tertiary care facilities and technology in a 200-bed community hospital.

Many of our deans and both society masters were in their previous positions or currently are residency program directors. Our Dean was the president of the IM program directors association. Having us succeed in the match is a message coming from the top from people who have directed residency programs. It's also not a matter of Hofstra "pulling strings" for NSLIJ residencies. NSLIJ half owns and totally operates the medical school. It's physically located at Hofstra, but the health system is running the show because it owns the school; it isn't simply affiliated with it. A similar set up is the Mayo Clinic and the medical school there.

The is evidence that our curriculum model is at least as good as, if not better than the traditional approach, especially when it comes to problem solving and effective communication. I can't believe a voluntary attendance lecture system like many schools have could possibly be better at training doctors than one that requires attendance and active participation every day.
Here is one recent systematic review: http://www.ecmaj.ca/content/178/1/34.full

Good luck with everything.

I'm accepted, and could not make second look. But, the silence from Hofstra is deafening. No emails, no letters, no financial aid info, NOTHING. I heard from most of the other schools I have been accepted to. And the $5000 is a joke.... if you want to attract high scorers, it will take quite a bit more than that. Perhaps even an email or letter telling us if you have merit money... anything. I am about to drop my admission. Was going to do it a few weeks ago, but figured I would hang on and see if I got any more info.

I'm accepted, and could not make second look. But, the silence from Hofstra is deafening. No emails, no letters, no financial aid info, NOTHING. I heard from most of the other schools I have been accepted to. And the $5000 is a joke.... if you want to attract high scorers, it will take quite a bit more than that. Perhaps even an email or letter telling us if you have merit money... anything. I am about to drop my admission. Was going to do it a few weeks ago, but figured I would hang on and see if I got any more info.

It sounds like you don't really want to go to Hofstra, so if I were you, I would drop your acceptance (regardless of money). You should go somewhere you want to be at. Having someone in the class who thinks they are better or more deserving than other students would be malignant to the entire PEARLS / group learning mentality. There's more to a medical student and a physician than how you performed on a standardized test. It sounds like you got a high MCAT score - good for you. I will tell you firsthand that some of the most compassionate, hardest working medical students in our first year class came from the waitlist and were accepted as late as July. If you expect a school to grovel to you because you got a 39 on your MCAT and think you're hot s***, think again.

I hope you do well at whatever more prestigious, more established medical school you go to. I hope you ride on the reputation of your school to get you into that derm / rads / touch myself in the mirror residency. I hope your parents are proud of you and they can brag to their friends. In the meantime, I'll be learning the way I want to learn and having a lot of fun in the process :)

/rant

We have a lot of high scores already thank you very much, but if financial inducement is important, you should give the fin aid office a call to check in. They may have stuff for you but haven't sent out packages yet.
If you're above calling to ask, then I don't know what to tell you.

It sounds like you don't really want to go to Hofstra, so if I were you, I would drop your acceptance (regardless of money). You should go somewhere you want to be at. Having someone in the class who thinks they are better or more deserving than other students would be malignant to the entire PEARLS / group learning mentality. There's more to a medical student and a physician than how you performed on a standardized test. It sounds like you got a high MCAT score - good for you. I will tell you firsthand that some of the most compassionate, hardest working medical students in our first year class came from the waitlist and were accepted as late as July. If you expect a school to grovel to you because you got a 39 on your MCAT and think you're hot s***, think again.

I hope you do well at whatever more prestigious, more established medical school you go to. I hope you ride on the reputation of your school to get you into that derm / rads / touch myself in the mirror residency. I hope your parents are proud of you and they can brag to their friends. In the meantime, I'll be learning the way I want to learn and having a lot of fun in the process :)

/rant

You clearly need to go into psych. You are so gifted you can tell everything from a single three sentence post. Your skills are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.