2011-2012 Howard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the HUCM c/o 2016 thread. I was a successful applicant last cycle and just wanted to let you guys know that if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post so we can all contribute and help you all achieve your success as well! Please take advantage of this thread as it is a very useful forum to network with your fellow applicants and future classmates and also to gain information about HUCM and the application process.
Today is the first day submissions are accepted through AMCAS so I thought I'd drop by and show you all my support! Best of luck to all applicants, especially re-applicants! You are all in my prayers and I wish you all success!!

Here we go!!!! :D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

Hello everyone. I applied for c/0 2014 and was placed on alternate list. I didn't get in:thumbdown:(. HOWEVER, I re-applied:xf:, got placed on the alternate list AGAIN :thumbdown:mad:. Then ACCEPTED into c/o 2015 :D:thumbup::smuggrin:. So NEVER GIVE UP!! Your hard work will pay off in the end. Stay strong and think positive. This thread helped ALOT so check back often. You are not alone:love:. Good Luck everyone:luck:.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I applied for c/0 2014 and was placed on alternate list. I didn't get in:thumbdown:(. HOWEVER, I re-applied:xf:, got placed on the alternate list AGAIN :thumbdown:mad:. Then ACCEPTED into c/o 2015 :D:thumbup::smuggrin:. So NEVER GIVE UP!! Your hard work will pay off in the end. Stay strong and think positive. This thread helped ALOT so check back often. You are not alone:love:. Good Luck everyone:luck:.

that is truly inspiring! how early in the cycle did you apply?

Thank you Althavian. I'm a reapplicant as well, and hoping for better this year.

Hello everyone!
Just want to say welcome to the Howard thread!!
If you guys have any questions, we are here for you all :D

Best of luck!!

Hi everyone!

Thank you class of 2015 for the encouragement!
Trying to keep the faith alive for this cycle! Retaking the mcat in a couple weeks and hoping for the best.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

I asked this in the 2010-2011 thread but didnt get a response. What sort of math requirements does Howard want. I have already taken stats and probablity so I need 3 additional credit hours. Would pre-cal be an acceptable math pre-req?

I asked this in the 2010-2011 thread but didnt get a response. What sort of math requirements does Howard want. I have already taken stats and probablity so I need 3 additional credit hours. Would pre-cal be an acceptable math pre-req?

Hi FutureDr214, I might be wrong but I think you might need calculus. Doesn't your college required one year of math? If you satisfied your college requirement, you should be fine.

Hi everyone!

Thank you class of 2015 for the encouragement!
Trying to keep the faith alive for this cycle! Retaking the mcat in a couple weeks and hoping for the best.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

:xf::xf::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi FutureDr214, I might be wrong but I think you might need calculus. Doesn't your college required one year of math? If you satisfied your college requirement, you should be fine.

I spoke to admissions today. Pre-cal is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
so scared!!! hopefully Ill get in. working on my application. Aiming for 1st week of July. is that good?

so scared!!! hopefully Ill get in. working on my application. Aiming for 1st week of July. is that good?

Hi Balder1, applying early is always good! :D But make sure that your application is completed and don't feel the need to rush it. An advice: On the activities section, I recommend writing it in paragraph form instead of bullet! It really makes a difference!

Best of luck, message me if you have any questions! Howard Class of 2015 is here for you all! :)

Hello everyone. Im also a HUCM c/o 2016 applicant. My app is submitted and verified. Now just studying hard for my 7/6/2011 MCAT. Blessings and good luck to everyone!!!

How can your application be verified in less than a week?

I had everything ready and sent in so that I could submit early. I sumitted on Friday June 3, 2011 and this afternoon 6/8/2011 around luch time I got an email titled "AMCAS Notification: Your application is now Processed" and it said that the application completed processing and had been sent to my selected schools.

Hello everyone. Im also a HUCM c/o 2016 applicant. My app is submitted and verified. Now just studying hard for my 7/6/2011 MCAT. Blessings and good luck to everyone!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Good luck!!! :D

I had everything ready and sent in so that I could submit early. I sumitted on Friday June 3, 2011 and this afternoon 6/8/2011 around luch time I got an email titled "AMCAS Notification: Your application is now Processed" and it said that the application completed processing and had been sent to my selected schools.

Wow, that's amazing!!! It's great that you were able to get your application in so early. I have MCATs in a week so I wasn't able to work on it as much. Hopefully, I'll be able to submit it soon after ;)

I wish everyone good luck on getting into Howard. I hear it's an amazing school with an awesome community. Two of my best friends in undergrad will be attending as c/o 2015 and they're extremely excited. They never lost hope and willpower throughout the process and Howard certainly reciprocated that and heard them out!

Good luck to all of us! May God help us all throughout the process!

Check out the verification thread. Some people are verified on the same day. If you submit in the AM on 6/1, you get verified quickly. I submitted around 10 am on 6/1 and was verified by 6/3.

That's not surprising because all verification consists of is confirming the grades entered with your transcript, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it shouldn't be a biggie if your app is verified later, since they aren't sent to med schools until the 17th anyway.

Ifyou submit your grades early, but retake cerain courses and increase your gpa and science gpa, how do you update your packet? Do you just send an updated trancript/letter of intent around.Dec/january? I remember reading some of you c/o 2015s did that and were granted interviews but I'm a little confused

Hi Guys!

Retook my mcat yesterday and now the wait! It was okay, I guess--didn't feel that much harder compared to my practice so hopefully I got in the range of my practice tests or higher. Praying and hoping for the very best!

In the next week, I hope to turn in my primaries...just putting final touches on my Personal Statement.

Best wishes to all of you :)

Good luck on your application! If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask. If you are able to complete your application by July 1st than you are definitely ahead of the curve and that will work in your favor. If you get a moment, take a look at last years thread and get a copy of the Secondary questions for HUCM. Sometimes they use the same questions. that way, you can get a jump on things. :D

Good Luck on your MCAT YardieDoc!!! your application was submitted hella early!!! thats amazing :). I hope your MCAT score comes back strong!!

Hi Guys!

Retook my mcat yesterday and now the wait! It was okay, I guess--didn't feel that much harder compared to my practice so hopefully I got in the range of my practice tests or higher. Praying and hoping for the very best!

In the next week, I hope to turn in my primaries...just putting final touches on my Personal Statement.

Best wishes to all of you :)

Bethavi thats great!!!! I hope that your score comes back as you hope and you're able to cruise into HUCM next fall!!!

After you finish your primary application, take a look at the 2010-2011 thread to look at the secondary questions from last year. Sometimes they use the same questions... Also remember that HUCM is one of the only schools that I know that still require applicants to send in money orders. So be prepared for that.

I hope to see you here next year!!! If you have any questions please dont hesitate to PM me.

good luck!!! :luck::xf::luck::xf:

1. I have lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged. Yes: No:

If yes, please explain/describe briefly:

2. After residency, I plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community. Yes: No:

3. I have worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations Yes: No:

Thanks for the encouragement Kaji215! Personal Statement is finally complete and looking good if I may say ;). Now, I am just a little nervous about hitting the submit application button but i guess i should soon enough :O
Nevertheless, I am really looking forward to joining you you guys at Howard next year! That would be a blessing, indeed!

can anyone help me out with an answer to my question?

Ifyou submit your grades early, but retake cerain courses and increase your gpa and science gpa, how do you update your packet? Do you just send an updated trancript/letter of intent around.Dec/january? I remember reading some of you c/o 2015s did that and were granted interviews but I'm a little confused

I'm also applying this year, but if it makes you feel any better I read the same thing :)

I've been told that schools can be notified of almost any changes/updates through methods you mentioned. I wonder if these letters are 'acceptable' only after an interview and whether adcoms get annoyed lol...could someone shed some light on this?

Thanks for the encouragement Kaji215! Personal Statement is finally complete and looking good if I may say ;). Now, I am just a little nervous about hitting the submit application button but i guess i should soon enough :O
Nevertheless, I am really looking forward to joining you you guys at Howard next year! That would be a blessing, indeed!

Good luck Bethavi!!!!! I hope to see you next year :)

I was in a similar situation as you. I sent my update grades via email. Ms Walk was nice enough to take my grades via a screen print of my online transcript and afterwards I was granted an interview. It was only after I received the interview did they require me to bring the official transcript with me to the interview.

Loving the support Kaji215!!! :D

@ BlkQueen- yes, try to send Ms. Walk an email ([email protected]) and tell her your situation. She is fast at replying & very nice too! :)

@ Bethavi- Good luck!!

Everyone applying= GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!!! The process is long but stay strong! We are here together :)

Loving the support Kaji215!!! :D

@ BlkQueen- yes, try to send Ms. Walk an email ([email protected]) and tell her your situation. She is fast at replying & very nice too! :)

@ Bethavi- Good luck!!

Everyone applying= GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!!! The process is long but stay strong! We are here together :)

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks guys! Ms walk seems like a really nice person. I hope to get a chance to meet her!

hey everyone,
looks like i will hand my final application later in the middle of july, due to reviewing and hard editing on my application essay :scared:. 2 more weeks till mcat exam and still not at my score yet. best of luck to all of you guys

hey everyone,
looks like i will hand my final application later in the middle of july, due to reviewing and hard editing on my application essay :scared:. 2 more weeks till mcat exam and still not at my score yet. best of luck to all of you guys

Good Luck Balder1.... a lot can change in two weeks :D

Hey everyone! I'm applying during this admissions cycle and wanted to wish everyone good luck!! this is absolutely my first choice!!**positive vibes to everyone** :)

Last edited:
has anyone received the secondary app? If not, do 2011 applicants remember when it came?

Thanks!

has anyone received the secondary app? If not, do 2011 applicants remember when it came?

Thanks!

Howard doesn't send it out until the last week of August or early September. the questions are normally the same so I posted last years questions on this forum.

Hey everyone! I'm applying during this admissions cycle and wanted to wish everyone good luck!! this is absolutely my first choice!!**positive vibes to everyone** :)

Good Luck :)

Hey Everyone, I am applying this cycle as well. I just submitted my AMCAS yesterday 6/30/2011. I took the MCAT on June 16th. Hoping to get a good score. God help us all.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats??? I am currently in the process of applying to MD/DC schools (MD resident) and would love to go to Howard!!! Thx in advance!!!

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the HUCM c/o 2016 thread. I was a successful applicant last cycle and just wanted to let you guys know that if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post so we can all contribute and help you all achieve your success as well! Please take advantage of this thread as it is a very useful forum to network with your fellow applicants and future classmates and also to gain information about HUCM and the application process.
Today is the first day submissions are accepted through AMCAS so I thought I'd drop by and show you all my support! Best of luck to all applicants, especially re-applicants! You are all in my prayers and I wish you all success!!

Here we go!!!! :D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats??? I am currently in the process of applying to MD/DC schools (MD resident) and would love to go to Howard!!! Thx in advance!!!

to those applying right now and concerned about their stats. last year I was given an excel version of last years MSAR book. This book gives you the stats of every school and it shows you the lowest scores, mid scores, and highest scores taken. I can give you a copy of this book if you want it. Just PM me...

for the record:
Howard's lowest MCAT accepted was a 22 and their highest was a 32. the lowest GPA was a 3.2 and the highest was a 4.0... Im sure the person who had a 22 on the MCAT did not also have the 3.2 GPA....

One of my friends got into here with a 23 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA. So I do know someone personally with numbers similar to the lowest. they also had a plethora of experience within the underserved community, clinic experience, shadowing experience, and was a second time applicant.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how Howard views multiple MCATs? do they take the latest score, take the highest score from each section, or average your scores together to make one new score??

Status
Not open for further replies.