2011-2012 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

no posts yet? i guess i'll start. applying md/phd here!

Does anyone know if their min GPA of 3.2 applies to just in-state applicants? Does it apply to everyone? And can the Graduate GPA be in replacement?

I asked admissions and got the standard: "Look at our website" but I didn't find anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the site:

• Indiana residents must have a minimum 3.2 science and overall GPA, and a 25 MCAT with no individual score below 7.
  • Nonresidents with or without Indiana ties will be reviewed on an individual basis. However, nonresidents with significant ties to the state of Indiana may be given greater consideration
If you're instate, I would not bank on grad GPA replacing ugrad, but it might be worth a well worded email asking about it so you don't waste money if a grad GPA won't give you any leeway with the 3.2 at all.

If you're out of state, your requirements will surely be higher.

I will be applying here (in-state). Does anyone know when secondaries get sent out?

FYI: The min requirement is only for in staters. Out of state people are looked at on a case by case basis.

Med schools in general rarely accept those with GPA's near their minimums unless the applicant also has a stellar MCAT and EC's. If you have under a 3.5 and mediocre everything else i'd be cautious about applying here OOS. Their class is <15% OOS, small enough to scare me aware :(

Med schools in general rarely accept those with GPA's near their minimums unless the applicant also has a stellar MCAT and EC's. If you have under a 3.5 and mediocre everything else i'd be cautious about applying here OOS. Their class is <15% OOS, small enough to scare me aware :(

2010 entering class: 271 in state, 51 out of state

You think most of those oos students have ties to the state?

Anxiously waiting for what I believe will come next week

Incoming MS1/Long time SDNer here to answer questions/concerns/help out

2010 entering class: 271 in state, 51 out of state

You think most of those oos students have ties to the state?

In-state ties and/or living in the Illinois/Michigan area. Seems to be the current trend for "favored" apps. Though, having an awesome MCAT/GPA also suffices in these situations.

Like no secondary essays?

There are no essays to fill out. But there are some forms required and a personal reference letter.

If you're instate, I would not bank on grad GPA replacing ugrad, but it might be worth a well worded email asking about it so you don't waste money if a grad GPA won't give you any leeway with the 3.2 at all.

If you're out of state, your requirements will surely be higher.

First - grad school will most DEFINITELY replace ugrad if the grad school is an SMP. If you did the SMP program at IUPUI/other states, they will definitely consider that.

Second - OOS is case by case, so that's definitely not a certainty.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do I go about indicating my significant ties to the state of Indiana if I am an "out of stater". Is that part of a supplemental application or should that have been indicated somewhere within my primary?

Rejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjected - pre-secondary, OOS.

:D

rejected. OOS but from IL so it hurts. oh well, it's always the first one that stings.

30<MCAT<32, non-sci and sci GPA ~3.9.

Ouch :( IS EDP, no rejection yet so i'm still :xf:

REJECTION! First one - hopefully it hurts the most! OOS - from IL. Guess I was expecting this.

Rejected OOS from Ohio. Its a 5 minute drive to Indiana from where I live and I have family in Indiana, so I wish they gave me an opportunity to highlight my "ties to Indiana". I'm glad they rejected me now instead of dragging it out though.

Has anyone received the secondary?

Rejected as well OOS. MCAT >36, GPA ~3.6. I would have liked living in Indy I think. Oh well, on to the next I guess.

For those rejected, when did you submit? I'm OOS and dreading the rejection.

Rejected OOS from Ohio. Its a 5 minute drive to Indiana from where I live and I have family in Indiana, so I wish they gave me an opportunity to highlight my "ties to Indiana". I'm glad they rejected me now instead of dragging it out though.

To OOS rejectees:

If IU is one of your top choices, you can always appeal. Almost all medical schools are receptive to such letters -- at least when you have grounds for appeal. When your appeal has legitimate traction, such appeals are actually quite effective because they demonstrate your serious interest in the school. I was initially rejected by the school I at which I am matriculating this year. True story.

Most people just accept the rejection and move on. If it's "not worth the effort" to you, then live with their decision. Just know that it isn't exactly as "final" as most people assume. No guarantees, but it's still an option.

Goodness....I never expected IU to reject so quickly! At least it's before you start forking over more money and spending time getting all those papers together... *fingers crossed that my OOS-ness is counteracted by being an undergrad*

To OOS rejectees:

If IU is one of your top choices, you can always appeal. Almost all medical schools are receptive to such letters -- at least when you have grounds for appeal. When your appeal has legitimate traction, such appeals are actually quite effective because they demonstrate your serious interest in the school. I was initially rejected by the school I at which I am matriculating this year. True story.

Most people just accept the rejection and move on. If it's "not worth the effort" to you, then live with their decision. Just know that it isn't exactly as "final" as most people assume. No guarantees, but it's still an option.

Thanks for the advice. IU is one of my top choices, so I might just do that.

To OOS rejectees:

i still haven't heard anything but im an OOS so preparing for the rejection. what's grounds for appeal?

With a 37Q, you're probably going to be interviewed. Congrats!

I hope so and thanks, assuming you didn't just jinx me. Unfortunately, parts of this whole process just seem so random, I don't think anybody can feel sure about anything until after it happens. Just keepin my fingers crossed :luck:

To OOS rejectees:

Word of caution - be sure you contact the right person. Contacting admissions is a tricky game here at IU. I would phone them and ask who to speak with regarding your candidacy and not necessarily talk about appealing your rejection on the phone. Get in contact with someone who deals with admissions and not someone who just answers the phone.

Word of caution - be sure you contact the right person. Contacting admissions is a tricky game here at IU. I would phone them and ask who to speak with regarding your candidacy and not necessarily talk about appealing your rejection on the phone. Get in contact with someone who deals with admissions and not someone who just answers the phone.

Absolutely. I should have tempered my statement by adding you can't just blindly send a letter to the school. Understand who handles admissions and make sure you speak with them regarding any potential appeal. Thanks, Kaustikos.

Re: grounds for appeal. At IU, OOS applicants need strong ties to Indiana for consideration. If your primary doesn't adequately reflect your motivation for applying to IU but you feel you have a good enough "reason" to want to be there, then you could appeal a pre-interview rejection.

Re: grounds for appeal. At IU, OOS applicants need strong ties to Indiana for consideration. If your primary doesn't adequately reflect your motivation for applying to IU but you feel you have a good enough "reason" to want to be there, then you could appeal a pre-interview rejection.

Beat me to it :smuggrin: Thanks

just received my secondary!!!! anyone else?!

Me too! OOS with 3.9 39 though...wonder how high their bar is =O

So when does the actual interview invite come? After we fill out these forms or what?

Just to clarify, does receiving a secondary mean an interview? I am tingling here. I had a dream last night that I would get 0 interviews and my relationship with medical schools may never happen. Then I woke up and I said to myself...wow that was a weird dream. Since then, Susan Boyle's version of "I dreamed a dream" has been stuck in my head and it may never leave until I get my first interview or maybe when I step in the door and shake an interviewer's hand with me eternally sweaty palms :confused: - Btw, I did receive a secondary before I asked.

Stats: 32Q MCAT, 3.95 GPA, OOS

Last edited:
Hahaha nice dream

I looked into it just now. So a secondary means you WILL get an interview invite...the invite actually comes a few weeks before your actual interview date. Basically, some of us might get it as soon as today (maybe?) and others might get it in a few weeks. Something along those lines...

Hahaha nice dream

I looked into it just now. So a secondary means you WILL get an interview invite...the invite actually comes a few weeks before your actual interview date. Basically, some of us might get it as soon as today (maybe?) and others might get it in a few weeks. Something along those lines...

You just made my afternoon :).

OOS, 36R, 3.92cGPA, 3.91 sGPA, second time applicant

:) and dang sounds like the bar's pretty high then.

I'm OOS 3.9/3.9 39O

Oh and don't forget to actually do the grad app

Oh and don't forget to actually do the grad app

Speaking of, for the question about when do you plan to enroll in classes, anyone have an idea of what we should put? Fall 2012 is not an option...

For the OOS getting secondaries, congrats!

When were your primaries verified?

Primary was verified 6/21, OOS but I go to school in Indiana.

For the OOS getting secondaries, congrats!

When were your primaries verified?

Around June 15th...

Did the grad app tell anyone else that they need to pay $70.00 instead of the $50.00 that the email spoke of? Could it be that I'm out of state?

Around June 15th...

Did the grad app tell anyone else that they need to pay $70.00 instead of the $50.00 that the email spoke of? Could it be that I'm out of state?

Yeah it was like that for me as well. I'm still curious about summer 2012 being the last option we can select.

Yeah it was like that for me as well. I'm still curious about summer 2012 being the last option we can select.

I just went with summer 2012... coming from a school were fall term starts in October, starting in August seemed very summery to me :)

Around June 15th...

I tried to call 3 different offices and nobody had any idea so :shrug:

All of them told me to choose summer 2012 though for the enrollment term so that should be okay.

Around June 15th...

I'm in state and I had to pay $70 as well... maybe the e-mail wasn't updated? Or it was wrong, adn hopefully we'll get our monies back.

I just went with summer 2012... coming from a school were fall term starts in October, starting in August seemed very summery to me :)

I did that as well, kinda odd they didn't have fall 2012 though!

Status
Not open for further replies.