2011-2012 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I swear I check my mail at least every 10 minutes.. My attending thinks there's something wrong with me lol

Members don't see this ad.

If there are open positions after the match and a candidate that's not a superstar that's only recently discovered the field is unmatched, what's more likely-that the position will be offered to someone like me or that the program will simply choose not to fill the position?

Got my Yale rejection right on cue lol.. At least I didn't get my hopes up this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I get an email, I almost get a heart attack! Why does Vandy tease us with an email titled, "Interview date" but does not actually INVITE us to interview! *frustrating*!

Guys,
I was wondering how many intreviews should we have right now to be ok I guess.I know it depends but today's rejections from wisconsin and yale hurt:)

Every time I get an email, I almost get a heart attack! Why does Vandy tease us with an email titled, "Interview date" but does not actually INVITE us to interview! *frustrating*!

Yeah, and then they tell us to look for an invite mid December...:mad:

Guys,
I was wondering how many intreviews should we have right now to be ok I guess.I know it depends but today's rejections from wisconsin and yale hurt:)

Yeah, and then they tell us to look for an invite mid December...:mad:

Tell me about it. I managed to get a rejection from MCW, Yale, and Mayo today all in the span of about 30 minutes. Quite a confidence builder for my prelim interview. :rolleyes:

I've got three so far. Not sure if that's above/below/average.

3 here as well. Although this might not be a reliable metric for how one is doing since many of the "upper tier" programs apparently haven't offered interviews yet.

I had a rejection freak-out today as well... we'll see how it goes.

3-rejection day! It's silly but this thread keeps me from going insane.

26 interviews sent out + yale rejections. So we are ~27 of 84? programs with correspondences. If you are 3 interviews now, you are on pace for ~9 interviews which is about the golden number to hopefully match.

26 interviews sent out + yale rejections. So we are ~27 of 84? programs with correspondences. If you are 3 interviews now, you are on pace for ~9 interviews which is about the golden number to hopefully match.

Not sure that's entirely accurate though. Some programs send waves of invites, so just because they have sent some out now, doesn't mean they won't send out any more, especially when the big guns start sending them out and some may need to cancel.

Has anyone had trouble scheduling a UCLA interview? I have not been able to reach the program coordinator yet.

Same thing happened to me last year. The coordinator ended up emailing me back with my interview schedule/date after I left her a message and emailed her - never actually spoke to her. Unfortunately, the day I was looking for was booked!

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke offered me 12/12 only. If they would allow us to trade days, anyone interested?

So, in UChicago's invite, they mentioned they got 245 applicants. In 2011 there were 211 total applicants. I think that's a significant finding (p<0.05).
This is interesting and could indicate either that programs will invite more applicants anthus the magin number increases from 9 applications (2011 NRMP) or if programs are giving the same number of intreviews then the intreview spots will be divided into more applicants for example rather than having 211 applications to pick from to give 25 intreviews programs have 30 more applicants and thus with the exception of the super elite top 40 aplicants the rest will end up with fewer intreviews and the number of intreviews you need to match will probaly stay the same.
I am not sure if that make sense to any one including myself:confused:

I don't know if numbers from programs are completely accurate... just look at this thread from 2003... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=92793

I'm not saying they didn't receive that number of applications, but maybe some people withdraw their apps if they don't get enough interviews? And maybe the NRMP doesn't take those into account. So lets not freak out.

I don't know if numbers from programs are completely accurate... just look at this thread from 2003... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=92793

I'm not saying they didn't receive that number of applications, but maybe some people withdraw their apps if they don't get enough interviews? And maybe the NRMP doesn't take those into account. So lets not freak out.

It's hard to imagine people would withdraw though possible... but that thread is pretty enlightening - those numbers are all over the place!

Getting kind of worried. Only three so far and a few programs have sent invites out the past few days.

Did anyone get a rejection from U Chicago?

Did anyone get a rejection from U Chicago?

Nope. But since i'm posting I figure I'd ask-how big of a superstar do you have to be in order to match into rad onc? I mean based on stats, it seems that not everyone is an MD/PhD, and some people with very basic scores USMLE wise get in. How extensive amount of research is necessary to get in?Or is there something else that I'm m issing?

Wishing the flood gates would open already and the majority of the programs would send out invites so we have an idea where we stand and can make the appropriate plans.

I would like to solicit the collective wisdom of the forum. I have received interview invites for the same day from 2 schools, lets call them school A and school B. School A offered a few weeks ago, school B offered today. School B is one of the places I rotated at. Both offered me only the date in question, however I know from the forum that school A has other interview dates that they didn't offer me.

How would you approach this? I want to do both interviews, as both are good programs. Should I ask school A if I can move my interview to a different date even though they never mentioned the other dates to me? Or should I go ahead and ask school B if they plan on having any additional dates?

Because I rotated at one of the places I am wary of appearing ungrateful by asking if there is another date. Thanks for any help.

I would like to solicit the collective wisdom of the forum. I have received interview invites for the same day from 2 schools, lets call them school A and school B. School A offered a few weeks ago, school B offered today. School B is one of the places I rotated at. Both offered me only the date in question, however I know from the forum that school A has other interview dates that they didn't offer me.

How would you approach this? I want to do both interviews, as both are good programs. Should I ask school A if I can move my interview to a different date even though they never mentioned the other dates to me? Or should I go ahead and ask school B if they plan on having any additional dates?

Because I rotated at one of the places I am wary of appearing ungrateful by asking if there is another date. Thanks for any help.

I don't really see the harm in explaining to school A that an unexpected scheduling conflict arose that you are trying to reconcile, and inquiring about other possible interview days.

I would call the program coordinator of school A and ask if there are any other possible dates because you already know they have other dates. And if they are full you can always ask them to contact you if a spot opens up. I contacted a program about a date switch and the coordinator was very pleasant about it even though they were not able to open a new day. They understand that conflicts are common and I don't think they would take it the wrong way.

I would call the program coordinator of school A and ask if there are any other possible dates because you already know they have other dates. And if they are full you can always ask them to contact you if a spot opens up. I contacted a program about a date switch and the coordinator was very pleasant about it even though they were not able to open a new day. They understand that conflicts are common and I don't think they would take it the wrong way.

Thanks! This is what I was planning to do, just wanted to hear what others thought.

Good information regarding the variation in numbers, there is no way to know how many applicants there are but we dont even know the number of positions available to establish applicant: position ratios .

Last edited:
At least last year, programs had until Feb 1st before the match to finalize how many spots they were gonna have in the match.

Did anyone else get the notice from OHSU rad onc that they will not be participating in the match because they were not compliant with hours? Does that mean that our application to this program is not going to be considered?

Did anyone else get the notice from OHSU rad onc that they will not be participating in the match because they were not compliant with hours? Does that mean that our application to this program is not going to be considered?

That is what it sounded like to me. I think they were counting on getting approved for another spot, but from the email it sounds like they were denied due to compliance issues.

Did anyone else get the notice from OHSU rad onc that they will not be participating in the match because they were not compliant with hours?

Yes I got it too.

Does that mean that our application to this program is not going to be considered?

The e-mail says, "unfortunately, we will not be participating in the upcoming match for a position starting July 2013." So no, our apps will not be considered.

Yes I got it too.

The e-mail says, "unfortunately, we will not be participating in the upcoming match for a position starting July 2013." So no, our apps will not be considered.

Shouldn't we get our money back then? I mean it's $$ to apply, and they were originally taking apps, so it's not like we were in the wrong or applied late, etc. Also another spot that none of us will get. :thumbdown:

Shouldn't we get our money back then? I mean it's $$ to apply, and they were originally taking apps, so it's not like we were in the wrong or applied late, etc. Also another spot that none of us will get. :thumbdown:

I am with you on getting our money back, but I really doubt it. It would be even worse if they gave out interviews, and then sent out the email.

BTW, the duty hour issue was nebulous from the email. They must just not be recording their hours or something. How could a program in a cool place like Oregon be going over duty hours?

:laugh: No

Believe me, this is a recurrent theme year after year with ERAS. There is absolutely no verification of whether programs actually have spots or not, it is all just self-reported.

I understand that, but the point is that they WERE accepting apps, and months into application season they withdrew. Not cool!

Also, since you are an attending in rad onc, can you address a question please? I am a specialty switcher, was planning to go into something else before, then fell in love with this specialty. Because of that I have not yet had a chance to do research in rad onc, I'm not really getting much love from programs. What does it require to match into rad onc, and what can I do to improve my chances/get into rad onc? Do I have to be a super star that knew from birth that I wanted to go into rad onc? *frustrated*

Also, since you are an attending in rad onc, can you address a question please? I am a specialty switcher, was planning to go into something else before, then fell in love with this specialty. Because of that I have not yet had a chance to do research in rad onc, I'm not really getting much love from programs. What does it require to match into rad onc, and what can I do to improve my chances/get into rad onc? Do I have to be a super star that knew from birth that I wanted to go into rad onc? *frustrated*

Look over the FAQ. You do NOT need monster numbers (> 240 Step I, AOA, all clinical honors) to match into this field. However two things which are essentially mandatory are research and strong letters from academic Radiation Oncologists. Since you are a "speciality switcher" you may be behind on research and LORs. If you don't match this time around, those are two areas in particular to focus on should you decide to re-apply.

Look over the FAQ. You do NOT need monster numbers (> 240 Step I, AOA, all clinical honors) to match into this field. However two things which are essentially mandatory are research and strong letters from academic Radiation Oncologists. Since you are a "speciality switcher" you may be behind on research and LORs. If you don't match this time around, those are two areas in particular to focus on should you decide to re-apply.

I am unfortunately behind on both yes. I did a rotation in rad-onc and got a letter, albeit i don't know how strong it is though. I definitely want to do research, but for application purposes though, is there a certain amount of pubs/experiences/months/years that are a must or considered sufficient? By this I mean, will I have to do research for years before a program even looks at me?

Also, given this situation, do you think that I have no realistic chance to match?

is there a certain amount of pubs/experiences/months/years that are a must or considered sufficient?

Look at Charting Outcomes 2011 (link in FAQ). You'll see the average number of research projects for those that did and did not match.

By this I mean, will I have to do research for years before a program even looks at me

No. The MAJORITY of applicants are neither MD/PhD nor HHMI/DD scholars who took x1 year off for research. However, you do need research.

Also, given this situation, do you think that I have no realistic chance to match?
I have no idea. But given what you've written, it may be a longshot. I think backup plans would be prudent (I had one).

However, you do need research.

Dr. Gfunk, I have to respectfully disagree. A friend of mine matched into a top 3 program last year having only 2 publications unrelated to radiation oncology (one from med school and one from college), and he was first author on neither of them.

However, he did have an exceptional step 1 score and essentially perfect grades.

I think the tradeoffs involved when considering applicants might vary by program a bit more than you indicate. This is a specific case where an applicant had no rad onc-related research and matched into a program that any of us would be honored to be part of.

Dr. Gfunk, I have to respectfully disagree. A friend of mine matched into a top 3 program last year having only 2 publications unrelated to radiation oncology (one from med school and one from college), and he was first author on neither of them.

However, he did have an exceptional step 1 score and essentially perfect grades.

I think the tradeoffs involved when considering applicants might vary by program a bit more than you indicate. This is a specific case where an applicant had no rad onc-related research and matched into a program that any of us would be honored to be part of.

This argument should continue ad infinitum. :)

Clearly you should have research OR be a superstar to match. Having both is a bonus. I have not come out on the other side of this yet, but my guess is that if you don't have a 260, AOA, all honors, etc. . . then you better have good research.

Did the person you are referring to match of U of C? :)

How many interviews do you think a person needs to get to have a good chance of getting in?
My situation is complicated with a couple's match (she's doing family medicine).

How many interviews do you think a person needs to get to have a good chance of getting in?
My situation is complicated with a couple's match (she's doing family medicine).
It depend if you look at NRMP data 2011. 13 individuals intreviewed at 8 places and 11 matched. Inividuals that got 9 and above all match, but your situation is different. It depends on how many intreviews you have, se have, and how many are common. for example if you have 11 in midwest and westcoast which is probably enough for you to match and she has 15 in east coast and south, that is not enough for you to match clost to her.
Hope that helps

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to match on your own and have her scramble?

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to match on your own and have her scramble?
Yeah, but she's a competitive applicant and wants to be in a solid program. I didn't think it would be fair if she was stuck with a school that couldn't fill their remaining positions and had to scramble.
I have 7 Rad Onc interviews so far, but she has like 45 to go on... Cost is starting to get up there.

Yeah, but she's a competitive applicant and wants to be in a solid program. I didn't think it would be fair if she was stuck with a school that couldn't fill their remaining positions and had to scramble.
I have 7 Rad Onc interviews so far, but she has like 45 to go on... Cost is starting to get up there.

With that many interviews it sounds like you will both be fine.

45 interviews!?!:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Your poor bank account.

Alright guys, seems like about half the interviews have gone out so far. I only have 3. Time to freak out yet? Anyone else in the same boat?

Alright guys, seems like about half the interviews have gone out so far. I only have 3. Time to freak out yet? Anyone else in the same boat?

I only had 4 interviews until today... so I wouldn't lose hope.
You may hear from some of the remaining programs... it just depends on what the programs are looking for in an applicant.

If you continue at that rate you will be at 6, so I think you are in decent shape. Not a lock, but your chances look good.