2011-2012 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what do you guys think about telling a program that you are ranking them #2? no good? hehe i know it sounds kinda silly, but it certainly means more than the generic "i plan to rank you very highly," eh?

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think about telling a program that you are ranking them #2? no good? hehe i know it sounds kinda silly, but it certainly means more than the generic "i plan to rank you very highly," eh?

... Sounds like a good way to get not ranked by a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like this year especially has a lot of people on the boards who are going through interviews right now, but there havent been many interview impressions.

Are you guys waiting until after ROL are in?

Interview impressions are invaluable to those coming behind you, and I for one would be deeply grateful!

Is UC Irvine interviewing this season? Haven't heard anything from them.

has anyone interviewed at hofstra lij program?

UC irvine is intreviewing this year for 2 spots. The 2 dates I know off are 1/12 and 1/19

I will be.. when did you interview there? how was it? anything great or bad to look forward to?

Is New York Methodist rad onc in the match this year? When I interviewed there in October they said that they were interviewing for two spots, but they aren't listed in the NRMP rank list website...

I think the best thing is to email them and tell them to update their statues

Is New York Methodist rad onc in the match this year? When I interviewed there in October they said that they were interviewing for two spots, but they aren't listed in the NRMP rank list website...
I also intreviewed there and I contacted them about it they said they fixed the problem on Friday (last week), but so far it seems like they are still not on the NRMP listed programs, any lick any one

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea NY Methodist isn't showing up for me either. Anyone know if it matters if the available positions number is off?

For example, some places that said they have 2 only have 1 and vice versa.

Yea NY Methodist isn't showing up for me either. Anyone know if it matters if the available positions number is off?

For example, some places that said they have 2 only have 1 and vice versa.

NY Methodist has fixed the problem now they are avilable on NRMP rank order list.
As for qouta programs have until Jan 31st to update it so I am sure most will if not then probably it would be a good idea to contact them. I already done with a program and they have corrected it, but apprently many programs are having the quota issues

For those who have interviewed in Manhattan: Which programs have mentioned subsidized housing? Some websites mention it and others don't, so I'm just curious :)

For those who have interviewed in Manhattan: Which programs have mentioned subsidized housing? Some websites mention it and others don't, so I'm just curious :)

I know that Sinai and msk do.

Right after I certified my rank list today, I went down to the mailbox -- got a rejection from Fox Chase mid-february...wasn't exactly holding my breath haha

Not really sure where to post this but in the interest of not creating too many new threads I thought I'd ask here:

During your interviews did the impact factor of any of your journal publications come up? Clearly it is important that publications be peer-reviewed, etc, but I'm curious if beyond the big names (Nature, etc) does the impact factor count for much?

Sheldor,

I agree, this is not something you need to think too much about now. But, if you are applying at some of the more basic science heavy places like UChicago, Yale, Mich, Stanford, etc. then I would expect a couple of them are likely ask you about impact factors of non-radonc journals from time to time during your interviews. It came up multiple times for me and a number of people I interviewed with. I doubt it made much of any difference at all and may have been more conversational than anything. But, if you are interviewing at those kinds of places, it would be a good idea to know ball park where your pubs fall, just incase it comes up. Again, there is NOTHING to do or think about now. This is minutia for later.

Also, if you are applying for those places, the above algorithm is not quite as accurate (it seemed pretty money everywhere else though). Again, minutia. Everyone applies broadly and sees what the rad onc gods provide.

I would expect a couple of them are likely ask you about impact factors of non-radonc journals from time to time during your interviews. It came up multiple times for me and a number of people I interviewed with.

Interesting! I interviewed at most of those and it never came up. The vast majority of my interviewers only wanted to talk about the softball rad onc paper I had published, as opposed to the high impact factor basic science work I had done. Your mileage may vary!

I seriously think it was more conversational than anything. It was usually late in the interview, but since some interviews are blind its possible a few people were actually trying to guage the quality of some of my work.

I had the same experience as Ramses. Interviewers definitely discussed the journal quality of my basic science publications at Chicago, MSKCC, UCSF, and a few other places, but nobody asked me specifically about impact factors. Things were much more conversational than probative when it came to my clinical Rad Onc research, although I had one interviewer say he didn't know why I even bothered with clinical research because I had so much basic science stuff (even though it didn't directly relate to radiation). I imagine the "rad onc publication > any other publication" rule still hold true at some places, but that wasn't the case at the big name institutions.