2011-2012 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

You need a letter from your committee if your school has one. Otherwise, the letters you have right now are not enough for Jefferson.

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/procedure.cfm

"We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible). Applicants who have been involved in graduate programs are encouraged to provide additional letters from their graduate schools."

Members don't see this ad.

Is everyone using a Premed Committee letter? My UG doesn't have such a committee. I have already requested 2 bio profs and a philosophy prof. Did I understand correctly that we must have 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, and 1 humanities if we don't have a premed committee?
Hey, so I spoke to their admissions committee about this, and they said that you should probably at least have four letters, and send them an e-mail saying that you are replacing your physics letter with ____, your chem with ____, your humanities with ______, and any supplemental letters could be in that e-mail too, but I think you have a better shot if you have those four specific subject letter writers. You should be okay, or just call; they're nice folks!

Hey, everyone! This is my first post on SDN, I figured I should probably make an account when I started realizing I have way too many questions about the application process :)

I received the Jefferson secondary today and am having this issue too. After I created a log in and pin number, it directs me to a page to select an Application Type...nothing for regular MD shows up so I was just wondering what option you guys selected for this?

Thanks!

Ok so I'm pretty sure I'm just being ******ed here but need a bit of help:

did anyone apply online? if you did and you used this site:

https://banner.jefferson.edu/pls/tju/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

what did you select for application type? my drop down menu has no option for MD, the only MD related option is "MHP for MDs"

thanks!

Edit-nevermind! solved

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as a critical care technician at Jefferson Hospital to pay back all my loans. Should I mention that in the additional information section? FYI, I already stated that in my personal statement.

Hmm. From "Decision Pending" to "Interview Decision Pending."
Not sure if that's just an in-between state or something a little iffier. :xf:

Hmm. From "Decision Pending" to "Interview Decision Pending."
Not sure if that's just an in-between state or something a little iffier. :xf:

I'm still at decision pending, so you're probably going to get an interview! Yay!

I wonder when we start scheduling? Browsing through last years thread, it doesn't look like they had this happen so early.

did those of you with interviews to be scheduled have your LORs sent in?

Schools don't review applications and send out interview invites until all materials have been received, so, while I have not received a status update yet, I can still tell you for sure that those who have definitely had their LORs in.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes. My letters were received by AMCAS in May. Also, I don't know when we'll be able to schedule the interview. It's been about a week since I got the "Interview to be Scheduled" status, and still no email about selecting a date.

Considering they're all in the same city, I'm sure there's a reason.

My city has 4 schools that are considered relatively easy to get into, but I'm applying to over 30 (no, not cali lol). Maybe I'm just neurotic :rolleyes:

just submitted my jefferson secondary.

i want to kiss jefferson for having such an easy secondary! :D

My city has 4 schools that are considered relatively easy to get into, but I'm applying to over 30 (no, not cali lol). Maybe I'm just neurotic :rolleyes:

You're smarter than this, latrala. I meant he must need to stay in Penn.

when did everyone's statuses change? i just submitted and paid for my secondary but it still says my secondary was not received and not paid.

when did everyone's statuses change? i just submitted and paid for my secondary but it still says my secondary was not received and not paid.

I think it took a day or so.

i emailed them about letters and they actually called back telling me my app was complete.

but no change in status though.... :xf:

Every morning I check my status with eagerness and then it still says "Decision Pending" haha. I guess patience is key. :)

A word about the different statuses: Last year, everyone's status said "Application Received" or something along those lines until the winter when everyone's status changed to "Decision Pending" or "Interview Decision Pending." Everyone just assumed "Interview Decision Pending" was better than "Decision Pending," but I went from "Decision Pending" to "Interview Scheduled." You can read more about this on last year's thread, but my point is, don't over-think these statuses. Just be patient.

A word about the different statuses: Last year, everyone's status said "Application Received" or something along those lines until the winter when everyone's status changed to "Decision Pending" or "Interview Decision Pending." Everyone just assumed "Interview Decision Pending" was better than "Decision Pending," but I went from "Decision Pending" to "Interview Scheduled." You can read more about this on last year's thread, but my point is, don't over-think these statuses. Just be patient.

VERY nice info, thanks!

this waiting process is so nerve racking!!!!

i'm being reviewed by 5 schools, well actually 4 one being re reviewed later...

So what should I do if I still havent received a secondary...I was sent in with the first batch...I have already receved like 20 secondarys...but no jefferson

I am wondering about what to write in the space. Should I talk about how I LOVE philly and would love to attend med school here to serve the community I love so much? But, I feel like that I can do that by going to any one of the philly med schools, not just jeff. Otherwise, I really have no ideas on what to say...

yup. don't create pointless drivel just because you think ad coms want to read it.

use it to describe any hard times (i.e. raising a family) that would explain poor performance and explain how things would be remedied in med school

I have it on good authority that all questions like the number nine prompt are to be left blank unless you have special circumstances that weren't addressed elsewhere. These can be positive or negative.

Edit: Whoops I didn't see this post above me. :)

I did. I thought it may help show my interest in the school.

I'm torn on whether I should write about my interest in the school or a new EC that I started that is not on my primary. Seems like the general consensus is to leave this blank unless you have a "situation".

Hey everyone. I just submitted my secondary for Jefferson before the 10pm shutdown but in my application menu, under application preference it says not entered. Does anyone have any idea what this means and if I should be worried?

Hey everyone. I just submitted my secondary for Jefferson before the 10pm shutdown but in my application menu, under application preference it says not entered. Does anyone have any idea what this means and if I should be worried?

It took a day or so for my status to change after I sumitted it, but since the system is down I wouldn't expect it to change for a few days. I'm sure you will be fine!

To all who received secondaries:

I saw the general #9 question, but are there any other interesting parts of the secondary that I could prepare before I get my secondary (haven't verified AMCAS yet...)?

Thanks and good luck to all!

To all who received secondaries:

I saw the general #9 question, but are there any other interesting parts of the secondary that I could prepare before I get my secondary (haven't verified AMCAS yet...)?

Thanks and good luck to all!

No. Not even a picture.

Anyone having trouble checking your status? It leads us to a blank page when you click the apply online button... darn it

Anyone having trouble checking your status? It leads us to a blank page when you click the apply online button... darn it

They sent an e-mail saying it will be down for the weekend.

Well my LORs don't fit the requirements precisely; should I use that optional essay to talk about the reason why and explain my interests in the school?

Well my LORs don't fit the requirements precisely; should I use that optional essay to talk about the reason why and explain my interests in the school?

That's what I did, and they accepted the letters I have.

Being the state school for Delaware, does Jefferson offer a large amount of its OOS seats to them?

20 places each year through the DIMER program... there's information about it on University of Delaware's website for sure, probably also on Jefferson's own site.

Went from "decision pending" to "interview decision pending". No idea what it means. The fact that they're changing the status, while others are still at decision pending, means that they're at least looking at my stuff.

i got the email july 6th that bannerweb would be down, but i never received an email before this... no email about how to log into the secondary etc. any ideas?

Went from "decision pending" to "interview decision pending". No idea what it means. The fact that they're changing the status, while others are still at decision pending, means that they're at least looking at my stuff.

Yeah, they've been reviewing pretty quickly it seems. Finger crossed for ya!

Seems redundant to me. "Interview Status: Decision Pending" v.s. "Interview Status: Interview Decision Pending"

I wonder if it means anything

Has anyone received a status other than Decision Pending, Interview Decision Pending, or Interview to be Scheduled? No 'Final decision to be e-mailed' or 'We're sorry, you're not good-looking enough for our school'?

Has anyone received a status other than Decision Pending, Interview Decision Pending, or Interview to be Scheduled? No 'Final decision to be e-mailed' or 'We're sorry, you're not good-looking enough for our school'?

I have no status at all, so I guess that counts? Submitted my secondary 6/29.

Status
Not open for further replies.