2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there somewhere we can watch it online?
I've never tried looking for it online, but you might get lucky if you google it. I think there were two versions, one from about 10 years ago and one from 2008.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys, if you don't mind responding, what were your undergrad institutions? Privates? Ivy's? State schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys, if you don't mind responding, what were your undergrad institutions? Privates? Ivy's? State schools?

Looking at the Facebook group, it seems a lot (a majority?) of accepted students are from public schools. (I'm from a public university au Canada.)

Looking at the Facebook group, it seems a lot (a majority?) of accepted students are from public schools. (I'm from a public university au Canada.)

Oh, cool. I was a bit scared thinking all JHU acceptees were from privates. :eek:
I'm currently at a community college and planning to transfer to a state school! Good to know you guys are all fellow state students :love:

private, but it looks like i'm the odd man out

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has heard back after Jan 12/13 or Jan 19/20 interviews?

Has anyone received an interview invite recently ... or should I be waiting for a rejection? Seems awfully late in the season now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought they told us 2nd week of February (i interviewed jan 20th) but i feel like feb 25 is more realistic.

i thought they told us 2nd week of February (i interviewed jan 20th) but i feel like feb 25 is more realistic.

I interviewed on january 6 and they told us to not expect anything till after february 25th.

Did you peps send letter of interest or whatever post interview to Valerie Mazza? I'm not sure if I should. Theres nothing superb for me to update other than the fact i'm leaving the country to travel. lol. how much do these letters actually matter?

Oh, cool. I was a bit scared thinking all JHU acceptees were from privates. :eek:
I'm currently at a community college and planning to transfer to a state school! Good to know you guys are all fellow state students :love:

Hey! Just to add one more response, I transferred from a community college to a state school.

For the sake of your sanity, don't worry about which schools accept students from whatever schools. At this point, focus on rocking your classes, transferring to a school that will allow you to do well, doing the extracurriculars that you like, and ENJOYING your time in college.

If you have questions about being a transfer student applicant, don't hesitate to ask. I'm more than happy to help. :D

I interviewed on january 6 and they told us to not expect anything till after february 25th.

We were also told 2nd week of Feb (on Jan 19th). So now I'm wondering if she meant to say 2nd week of March! Hmmmm

Did you peps send letter of interest or whatever post interview to Valerie Mazza? I'm not sure if I should. Theres nothing superb for me to update other than the fact i'm leaving the country to travel. lol. how much do these letters actually matter?

So I can't really say whether it mattered at all, but I did send just a brief (couple paragraphs) description to update my application post-interview. I also did not have any major updates, but since I had done it elsewhere, it wasn't really much trouble to send it along. I doubt it played a significant role in getting accepted, though.

Hi, are all the student interviewers fourth years?
And does anyone know if it is Dr. Mazza or Ms. Mazza?
thanks

Last edited:
yes they are all "technically" fourth years...meaning some last year of rotation (or going to be) but not all of them have been at jhu for 4 years. Theres quite a few mdphd students, so i guess that would be their 8th year haha.

Its Ms. Mazza i think. She will give you a card on your interview day, so that should clarify the prefix.

Cheerios!

yes they are all "technically" fourth years...meaning some last year of rotation (or going to be) but not all of them have been at jhu for 4 years. Theres quite a few mdphd students, so i guess that would be their 8th year haha.

Its Ms. Mazza i think. She will give you a card on your interview day, so that should clarify the prefix.

Cheerios!

there's one tenth year.

Just got the call today, so excited for second look!!! I interviewed on Jan 19th.

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

Just got the call today, so excited for second look!!! I interviewed on Jan 19th.

Congrats!! I also got the call this morning! Interviewed 1/19 - so stoked

Congrats!! I also got the call this morning! Interviewed 1/19 - so stoked
I also interviewed on Jan 19th and received an acceptance call today. Congratulations to you guys and hopefully see you during second look! : )

Did anyone from Jan 12/13 receive a call?

Congrats to the acceptances

Based on calls received so far, it seems like turnaround between interview day and acceptance offers is around 3 weeks (from the Monday following your interview)...So, are all/most others then receiving snail mail WL/rejection notifications?

Congrats and welcome! Terrific first post.

I also interviewed Jan 19 and haven't gotten a call... should I be worried? Is there a chance they take more than one day to make all of the calls, or is today it?

I received an interview invite on Jan 31. The interview is on March 2 - Please be honest - What do my chances look like? I am a Canadian student!

I received an interview invite on Jan 31. The interview is on March 2 - Please be honest - What do my chances look like? I am a Canadian student!

If you got an interview, then you have a good chance!

I'm Canadian and was accepted. You'll be fine! Good luck :)

ETA: And if you are eventually accepted we can wallow in debt together.

I interviewed 1/12 and I did not. :/ Nor have I gotten any notification in the mail.

As already mentioned in this thread, Valerie Mazza said that the 12/13 dates would be notified near the end of February (the date that comes to mind is February 27th). It is most likely for logistical reasons that interview dates after those were already notified (faculty needing to meet and what not).

HOLY COW!!! Interview Invite!!! Complete 11/15/11 just got the interview invitation with a date in early March!!! (They only provide one day to pick from). AMAZING NEWS!

Alternate list. Kind of a bummer, but at least it's not an outright no. Anyone know how much the wait list moves?

Alternate list. Kind of a bummer, but at least it's not an outright no. Anyone know how much the wait list moves?

Pretty variable. Usually it was ~50 people off the list out of 200, then for two years it was less than 5. Last year it was ~20 I think. So, there's still hope.

Does anyone know if interviewing March 8 means that I can, at best, expect to be waitlisted?

Is anybody else having a REALLY hard time deciding between Hopkins and a school closer to home?

Pretty variable. Usually it was ~50 people off the list out of 200, then for two years it was less than 5. Last year it was ~20 I think. So, there's still hope.

Last year , over 50 people were brought in off of the waitlist

Does anyone know if interviewing March 8 means that I can, at best, expect to be waitlisted?

if you got an interview invite, then you have the potential to be admitted, not just waitlisted

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Status
Not open for further replies.