2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed January 12, and waitlisted

Don't give up hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty variable. Usually it was ~50 people off the list out of 200, then for two years it was less than 5. Last year it was ~20 I think. So, there's still hope.

I remember the dean said it was ~50 ppl off last year, and 2 or 3 the two years before that.

I have no idea how I'm going to decide. What a crazy situation.

Tell me about it.. have a significant other, and we're trying to land near each other as well. Between that and everything else, my brain might explode. #firstworldproblems

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me about it.. have a significant other, and we're trying to land near each other as well. Between that and everything else, my brain might explode. #firstworldproblems

Same situation! You'd think asking people for advice would help, but since everyone has a different opinion (and usually a strong one at that), it just makes the decision more difficult and confusing.

x

Last edited:
Accepted today! Missed the phone call because I was up snowboarding but managed to get a hold of them before they left for the day. Super excited! Interviewed January 13.

Congrats! :)

x

Last edited:
hey do any of the current med students commute/ know med students that commute from outside of baltimore? i'm just thinking of living options outside of baltimore (say, ellicott city)... also, is commuting during med school at jhop feasible or is it too burdensome during rotations??

I live in the Columbia/Laurel area (as do a number of upperclassmen and residents) and the commute is about 20 minutes with no traffic and no red lights door to door, but usually more like 25-30 minutes. You will actually be in the city pretty quickly from the county, but there are a number of red lights that you must get through (downtown and in East Baltimore) to get to the medical campus, so that's what adds a lot of time.

I have lived here during both third year and fourth year without a problem... well, it was a bit painful during my sub-I in medicine, but since the new work hour restrictions are in effect, you won't have to do 32-34 hour calls anymore, so that won't be a concern

Last edited:
Thanks! Do you park at the hospital? How much is monthly parking at hospital/school/elsewhere?

I live in the Columbia/Laurel area (as do a number of upperclassmen and residents) and the commute is about 20 minutes with no traffic and no red lights door to door, but usually more like 25-30 minutes. You will actually be in the city pretty quickly from the county, but there are a number of red lights that you must get through (downtown and in East Baltimore) to get to the medical campus, so that's what adds a lot of time.

I have lived here during both third year and fourth year without a problem... well, it was a bit painful during my sub-I in medicine, but since the new work hour restrictions are in effect, you won't have to do 32-34 hour calls anymore, so that won't be a concern

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed 1/6. Great news.

This is a long shot, but - to anyone who interviewed on Jan 13 - does anyone remember who the interviewers were? I can't for the life of me remember, and unfortunately lost the book where I recorded their names. Faculty interviewer was a nice/encouraging East Asian physician (Korean, I think) who went to undergrad, med school, and residency at Hopkins. Student interviewer was a fun/conversant 7th year MD/PhD. If anyone was interviewed by the same people or happen to remember...

Also, I think they asked us not to contact/thank our interviewers until we heard back about application decisions, is that right...?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a long shot, but - to anyone who interviewed on Jan 13 - does anyone remember who the interviewers were? I can't for the life of me remember, and unfortunately lost the book where I recorded their names. Faculty interviewer was a nice/encouraging East Asian physician (Korean, I think) who went to undergrad, med school, and residency at Hopkins. Student interviewer was a fun/conversant 7th year MD/PhD. If anyone was interviewed by the same people or happen to remember...

Also, I think they asked us not to contact/thank our interviewers until we heard back about application decisions, is that right...?

Your faculty interviewer name should be on a piece of paper that they gave you. PM me if you can't find it.

Hey all...I'm interviewing this week, and the weather forecast for Baltimore seems to be dipping down to the 30s...basically my point is: is a significant portion of the day outdoors? Also, if a bring a coat to wear over my suit, will there be a place to dump it before the interviews etc?

I dunno if this question seems dumb but I've never lived in cold climates so would appreciate some insight :) thanks

x

Last edited:
Hey All,

Quick question about Hopkins' financial aid policy: I know that their priority filing deadline is for March 15, but does that apply to the incoming class (aka us) as well? Should we complete all required info by this date even if we don't know our status (accepted/WL/rejected) at the moment?

This totally slipped my mind at the interview :/ Would love it if anyone could clarify!

Thanks in advance!

Hey All,

Quick question about Hopkins' financial aid policy: I know that their priority filing deadline is for March 15, but does that apply to the incoming class (aka us) as well? Should we complete all required info by this date even if we don't know our status (accepted/WL/rejected) at the moment?

This totally slipped my mind at the interview :/ Would love it if anyone could clarify!

Thanks in advance!
I would send a quick email to [email protected]. They've been very helpful with my fin aid stuff, and there's nothing better than a firm answer straight from them :thumbup:

Hey All,

Thanks in advance!
Send them an email and don't forget to let us know what they say.

Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

At my interview day (very recently) our group was told that we definitely won't hear back before March 15, but that deadline still applies to us. So yes, you need to have all the required forms to them by March 15.

Hey I'm flying into Baltimore tomorrow (Wednesday) before my interview the following day. Any other interviewees want to grab dinner before the event at 8pm? I hear they have good seafood in Baltimore. Anyway, send me a message if interested.

Does anyone know when the next batch of decisions comes out? I interviewed in mid-feb and they said that we would find out in less than a month... Hoping it's soon!

This is a rather silly question, but what is the difference between the Director of Admissions (Valerie Mazza) and the Dean of Admissions (Jim Weiss, if I'm correct)? Is the Dean the MD in charge, and the Director the administrative manager of the admissions process, or is that all mixed up? I am on the waitlist and my graduate professor wants to send an letter of support/update as she did not include anything in my original application (since it was submitted before I came to graduate school). Do you guys know if she can send an email directly to the dean and if so, would Jim Weiss be the right person?

This is a rather silly question, but what is the difference between the Director of Admissions (Valerie Mazza) and the Dean of Admissions (Jim Weiss, if I'm correct)? Is the Dean the MD in charge, and the Director the administrative manager of the admissions process, or is that all mixed up? I am on the waitlist and my graduate professor wants to send an letter of support/update as she did not include anything in my original application (since it was submitted before I came to graduate school). Do you guys know if she can send an email directly to the dean and if so, would Jim Weiss be the right person?

You are right. The Dean is the MD in charge of admissions and the Director is the administrative manager of the admissions process. I think that the letter should be addressed to Dean Weiss but sent to the Directors email. Alternatively it could be addressed to the admissions committee.

I interviewed in early February and I'm dying to hear back too. I think we should know by the 15th.

*fingers crossed*

I interviewed in early February and I'm dying to hear back too. I think we should know by the 15th.

*fingers crossed*

Good luck!! Is that the date they said on the interview day? I kind of forgot... Lol. I hope there are still acceptance spots available!

Was it the 15? I was mid Feb. and I thought we wouldn't hear until end of March at the earliest :xf:

Was it the 15? I was mid Feb. and I thought we wouldn't hear until end of March at the earliest :xf:

I remember hearing from V Mazza that the committee wouldmeet again in early march and give decisions around the 15th. Maybe I was wishfullyhearing things. I hope we don’t have to wait much longer.

Hey all! Has anyone who had his or her interview in February heard back yet? I interviewed on Feb 10th and I'm starting to think I'm waiting on a letter rather than a phone call, though I haven't heard anything from anyone who interviewed in February...

x

Last edited:
Hey all! Has anyone who had his or her interview in February heard back yet? I interviewed on Feb 10th and I'm starting to think I'm waiting on a letter rather than a phone call, though I haven't heard anything from anyone who interviewed in February...

It is always possible that they may encounter some delay in the admissions office. I interviewed in early October and we were told to expect to hear something in mid- to late-November. I got the call in December. The extra wait was rough, but worth it! No letter is always a good thing! Good luck :)

For the record, I was called on a Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the info! This wait is excruciating haha

I love you Johns Hopkins...please love me back.

.over and out.

I called today and was informed that all interviewed candidates that were successful have been notified and that the office is working on sending out the remaining correspondences.

Does anyone know if Hopkins will be sending out any more II's or if they are done for this year?

I called today and was informed that all interviewed candidates that were successful have been notified and that the office is working on sending out the remaining correspondences.

Does that mean that they've given out all the acceptances already, and the "remaining correspondences" are waitlist or rejection letters?

That would be weird, considering there were interviews last week.

Perhaps I was misunderstood and they thought I was pre-interview. Apologies for any stress I might have caused if that were the case, I'm sure there's quite a few following this thread.

Anyone know what they think of update emails? I have a couple of new things brewing since my interview in late February. I have heard they don't like letters of intent, but what about updates?

Anyone know what they think of update emails? I have a couple of new things brewing since my interview in late February. I have heard they don't like letters of intent, but what about updates?

same, could anyone elaborate on how Hopkins looks at updates / letters of interest / letters of intent?

has anyone tried and been successful?
has anyone tried and failed?

My advice is to DEFINITELY send updates IF substantial things have happened since your interview (or application if it's not included) - ie. publications, new research project, new job - etc. You will not get a response, most likely, but it does get there if you email it to Valerie at the email she gave you during the interview. Hope that helps!

Annnnnnd, finally got my alternate list letter today. I was expecting a straight out rejection though! yay more waiting... I interviewed early February

To current students: based on your or any of your classmates' experiences, could you comment a bit on the financial aid situation at JHU?

1. Incoming students will probably receive our packages soon, but I was wondering if need-based aid is or isn't as generous as at some of Hopkins' peer institutions (i.e. students with lowest bracket of family income, whatever that may be, get "full" need-based scholarship aside from a unit loan).

2. Also, do you know if the financial aid office is willing to look at/match need-based offers from other schools? This really saved me from some serious dilemmas in choosing my undergrad, and I'm hoping for a repeat.

Thanks!

To current students: based on your or any of your classmates' experiences, could you comment a bit on the financial aid situation at JHU?

1. Incoming students will probably receive our packages soon, but I was wondering if need-based aid is or isn't as generous as at some of Hopkins' peer institutions (i.e. students with lowest bracket of family income, whatever that may be, get "full" need-based scholarship aside from a unit loan).

2. Also, do you know if the financial aid office is willing to look at/match need-based offers from other schools? This really saved me from some serious dilemmas in choosing my undergrad, and I'm hoping for a repeat.

Thanks!

These might not be the answers that you're looking for (maybe somebody else can chime in with more insight), but I'd suggest waiting until you have official offers in hand. Every school does things a little differently, and it can be really hard to predict how things will shake out for your particular situation. Plus, it doesn't mean a thing until the schools actually tell you what they're offering. If you get a chance to go to revisit, they have a pretty thorough financial aid presentation, too - I remember them telling us how much the average debt load was coming out of Hopkins, etc. Keep in mind, too, that things can shift from year to year (as all of us in school during the last 4-5 years have noticed) depending on the economy and each school's particular investments. My own yearly loan burden has shifted a good bit even while I've been here, just because of differential ability of federal funds.

In general, I've found the financial aid office to be pretty willing to work with me & review my financial aid packages whenever I've requested it or noticed a big shift. I guess my thought would be that it can't hurt if you've already been admitted. Like you noted, though, it's all need-based here, so I would doubt that they'd match any merit-based offers.

Accepted today!!! Interviewed mid-february! soooo excited..was totally not expecting the call

Status
Not open for further replies.