2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the video that was shown at second look. MS1s saying welcome to the class of 2016 :)

Hopkins Med15 Music Mashup

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else choosing between Penn and Hopkins? This is an incredibly difficult decision so please share your views or message me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today and was told that my group (March 8) hadn't been reviewed by the committee yet. They said to expect a decision in "the next few weeks".

Seems a little weird though since I think masrawy also interviewed on March 8..
Just called admissions to ask the status of my application. I interviewed Feb 24th, she said the committee will be discussing that day at the end of this week and I'll hear from them later this week or early next. maybe there is some back-up going on here?

Anyone from march 2 get accepted?

I just called admissions and they said that the committee has met regarding march 2 interviews and we should know decisions in a few days - I am thinking within this week

FYI, I believe the numbers quoted at Second Look were 180 acceptances thus far, with ~150 present for revisit.

Is anyone choosing between Hopkins and Stanford?

second-hand data from 5 years ago says that a majority of people in that situation choose Stanford. Only Harvard and UCSF beats Stanford in cross-admit yield.

second-hand data from 5 years ago says that a majority of people in that situation choose Stanford. Only Harvard and UCSF beats Stanford in cross-admit yield.

That's interesting, I wonder if they chose Stanford over Hopkins because of its merit-aid and location? Or were there other reasons?

That's interesting, I wonder if they chose Stanford over Hopkins because of its merit-aid and location? Or were there other reasons?

the data doesn't include reasons. stanford doesn't have merit aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
where is this "data" and what does it say on hopkins vs penn?
I feel safe to say this in the school specific thread: come to Hopkins!! You'll have some really cool classmates :nod:

where is this "data" and what does it say on hopkins vs penn?

the data was second-hand, as I said, so you might not trust it. some stanford alumnus somehow involved with the stanford admissions committee posted on SDN some cross-admit numbers and said that only HMS and UCSF beat it.

I feel safe to say this in the school specific thread: come to Hopkins!! You'll have some really cool classmates :nod:

Cannot agree more! The best part of second look was meeting the current first years and our potential classmates!

Accepted!!!!!

I missed the call but had a voicemail! Came in an hour ago!

Now I don't know what to do!:scared::)

Has anyone been wait listed or rejected recently? With a few acceptances leaking out over the last week, it seems like they might be saving all the wait list or rejection notifications until the end rather than notifying people after they've reviewed each group.

Feb. 23 interviewee here... waitlisted by snailmail today. A little bummed but very grateful to have many other fabulous options. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to all others.

If anyone has any pearls on how to get off the waitlist, I'm all ears!

Did absolutely no SDNers from March 1, 2, 8, or 9 get a call last week?! :confused:

Congratulations, masrawy! I believed you mentioned that you interviewed in March - If you don't mind, which day in March did you interview?

Last edited:
Hey, do any current students know how much time is set aside purely to study for step 1 during the second year at Hopkins?

Hey, do any current students know how much time is set aside purely to study for step 1 during the second year at Hopkins?

None is set aside, per se - there's no time set aside during the classroom part of the curriculum. You schedule step 1 yourself, depending on how long you're planning to study for it.

After the end of Q3 of 2nd year, you're done with preclinical stuff. Spring break (2 weeks) is right after that, so some people will take the first half of Q4 off (4 weeks), wrap it in with their spring break, and study / take the test in those 6 weeks.

More commonly, people schedule around 8 weeks off between Q4 of 2nd year and Q1 of 3rd year and take it then. Each quarter is ~ 8 weeks, and each summer period (there are 3) is 4 weeks, so you can sort of mix and match. Core clerkships are only offered for 8 weeks at a time, but there's flexibility to mix in a 4 week elective or emed (which is 4 weeks).

Whenever they do it, I'd say in general people take around 5-6 weeks to study full time, then take the last 2 weeks as a vacation after the exam and before going back to the wards. That way you get a little bit of a break, and you have the ability to push the exam back if you really need to. But you can do as little or (almost) as much as you want - it's all up to how you schedule it.

(These boards are probably not the place to say this, but you really don't need more than 6 weeks to study for the exam. The preclinical and clinical training prepares you well for the big concepts, and you only need about 6 weeks to cram minutae. And most people that I know feel like they peaked around 6 weeks anyway; more than that and you just start to freak out.)

None is set aside, per se - there's no time set aside during the classroom part of the curriculum. You schedule step 1 yourself, depending on how long you're planning to study for it.

After the end of Q3 of 2nd year, you're done with preclinical stuff. Spring break (2 weeks) is right after that, so some people will take the first half of Q4 off (4 weeks), wrap it in with their spring break, and study / take the test in those 6 weeks.

More commonly, people schedule around 8 weeks off between Q4 of 2nd year and Q1 of 3rd year and take it then. Each quarter is ~ 8 weeks, and each summer period (there are 3) is 4 weeks, so you can sort of mix and match. Core clerkships are only offered for 8 weeks at a time, but there's flexibility to mix in a 4 week elective or emed (which is 4 weeks).

Whenever they do it, I'd say in general people take around 5-6 weeks to study full time, then take the last 2 weeks as a vacation after the exam and before going back to the wards. That way you get a little bit of a break, and you have the ability to push the exam back if you really need to. But you can do as little or (almost) as much as you want - it's all up to how you schedule it.

(These boards are probably not the place to say this, but you really don't need more than 6 weeks to study for the exam. The preclinical and clinical training prepares you well for the big concepts, and you only need about 6 weeks to cram minutae. And most people that I know feel like they peaked around 6 weeks anyway; more than that and you just start to freak out.)
Great info, thanks. Would you happen to know what the step 1 averages at JHU have been for the past couple of years?

just got the phone call, interviewed February 24!

got the call today! interviewed march 2. good luck to everyone still waiting

Waitlisted by email - interviewed March 2!

How many are usually waitlisted at Hopkins? What are the chances if you are later in the cycle?

Great info, thanks. Would you happen to know what the step 1 averages at JHU have been for the past couple of years?

The only info that's available is a self-reported survey from my year that one of the med students put out, with ~50% response (so likely skewed high). On that survey, it was 242 (SD 12).

Word to the wise: the students make the step 1 score, not the school. You'll understand when you start studying for the test - doing well on step 1 doesn't mean you've gotten a good medical education, and vice versa. In fact, if you go to a school that "teaches to the test" (with step 1 as the ultimate goal), I'd say you're really missing out.

Step 1 necessarily condenses medical information into multiple choice questions, and as a result tests things that are easy to ask a single, quick multiple choice question about. So you get tons of questions about "what chromosome is this on," or "what's the pathognomonic side effect of this medication?" That stuff isn't always clinically useful, but it's easy to test. If your school focuses on this, you'll be great at your local bar's medical trivia night. But you'll be lost in the clinic where it'd be much better to have a deep understanding of the most important topics to your career than a superficial understanding of many.

It's like judging a college on what the average MCAT score is. There's a huge amount of variability among students at a given school, depending on their goals & time frame.

Finally decided on Johns Hopkins! Withdrew from everywhere else over past few days. I'll see y'all in the fall!

Will Dr. Ben Carson be teaching any of your classes? Yall are so lucky to have the opportunity to speak and possibly work with him :luck:

Will Dr. Ben Carson be teaching any of your classes? Yall are so lucky to have the opportunity to speak and possibly work with him :luck:

Some of the first year medical students told us that he gives an amazing lecture on the cranial nerves. I'm definitely looking forward to it. :D

Hopefully you'll be able to work with him someday too if your interests take you in his direction!

Hey all, is there a Facebook page for the Class of 2016? I am looking into housing options and looking for roommates!

Status
Not open for further replies.