About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by Sammich117, May 22, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleanorAutumn

EleanorAutumn

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Thanks!
  2. AdrianneES

AdrianneES

Non-Student
    I was told they would call you if you received an invite (MSTP) or a letter by mail if you don't.
  3. ps9891

ps9891

Believe it or not (right now I'm on the "not" side) I just got an email inviting me to interview with Hopkins MSTP! :eek:

As excited as I am, I now have a major problem and if anyone would care to give their input, I would really appreciate it....

I'm currently out of the country and will be back in the U.S. for a limited time for interviews. I'm pretty much already fully booked...and definitely have confirmed interviews on the dates they have given me. So my question is: should I cancel one of my other interviews to visit Hopkins? Or is Hopkins so competitive that it'd be the smarter decision to interview at another school where I may have a better chance at admission? The third option is to extend my stay in the US by a week to attend the interview, but the cons are that this would mean even smaller chances at admission (Hopkins is rolling, correct?) and I already feel super guilty about taking 5 weeks off for interviews (and holidays... in retrospect, this was a really dumb decision to try to match my interviews to my trip home for the holidays).

I'm planning to email back and explain my situation (not sure if I should mention that I can't make the given dates because I'm already interviewing elsewhere...thoughts?) but in the event that no flexibility can be afforded in interview scheduling (esp since it's an MSTP interview)... :confused:
  4. CopaceticOne

CopaceticOne

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How much do you want to get into Hopkins? If it is important to you, then make the necessary adjustments so that you can interview.
  5. ps9891

ps9891

This is true.

Sorry, my previous post was literally seconds after I got the invitation email and I happened to be on SDN. Perfect timing for me to post it all on a forum before I could rein in the initial panic hahaha.

But thanks for your advice (and thanks to AdrianneES and Nomdeplume for responding about my II question).

Guess I'm just gonna have to find a way to make this work! :D
  6. CopaceticOne

CopaceticOne

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck! ;)
  7. AdrianneES

AdrianneES

Non-Student
    interesting - did you ever get an email from the admissions coordinator telling you that your application was complete and forwarded to the admissions committee? That is where I was told about the phone call/letter thing.
  8. Slev

Slev

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    x
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  9. ps9891

ps9891

I'm not sure... I might have deleted it from my spam folder without looking. I almost did that with the interview invite email haha.
  10. ialwayslose

ialwayslose

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I submitted almost a month after you, so I can expect to be completed on around December 1... Which means - assuming it continues at a reasonable rate - the earliest I could be offered an interview would be on Jan 1, disregarding the holidays. So I'd probably be scheduled for one of the last days in February.

Scary...
  11. OYikes

OYikes

Pre-Medical
    Complete 8/12
    Interview 9/23
    Waitlisted 9/1

and the waiting continues...
  12. protonate

protonate

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Waitlisted before interview?....
  13. OYikes

OYikes

Pre-Medical
    Oops, lol. Lets try that again:

Complete 8/12
    Interview 9/23
    Waitlisted 11/1
  14. crss

crss

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Submitted September 5
    Completed November 7

Does that seem strange to anyone that it would take 2 months?
  15. CopaceticOne

CopaceticOne

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nope, look at some of the previous posts.
  16. crss

crss

SDN 2+ Year Member
    yeah I see that now. I should have read the earlier posts first, thanks.
  17. Nakita

Nakita

Pre-Medical
    This is all hypothetical, but let's say I get an II (I have not, but wouldn't that be awesome??), and then get accepted (I know, that is a lot of assuming): how much of a hassle would it be to commute here from the DC area? I am moving to DC in less than a month for an amazing opportunity for my family, and although we are 100% willing and committed to moving again in August to wherever I decide to matriculate, would commuting from north side of DC in MD area to baltimore be difficult, especially on a daily basis? I've heard of a commuter Amtrack...
  18. R1MD

R1MD

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    While it's technically doable, it would be a nightmare. You may be able to get into Baltimore but then you're basically heading across town after that during rush hour.
  19. ywlke

ywlke

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    MARC train is the commuter train between DC and Baltimore. You would spend quite some time traveling every day (probably on the order of 1.5 hours depending on how close you are to Union Station in DC), although the existence of the train indicates that there are people who do this.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  20. ywlke

ywlke

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Actually, I would think the heading across town part would be the easiest. There is a free Hopkins shuttle that runs about every 5 minutes to the hospital that also stops at Penn Station; it takes about 10 minutes in average off-rush traffic, 15 minutes with average rush hour traffic, 20 with unusually heavy traffic.
  21. kman1

kman1

Pre-Medical
    the MARC form DC to B'more takes 1 hour each way. So that is a total 2 hour commute. There are buses that will take you from the B'more Penn Station to JHMI, but idk how often they run/ how long it takes. So unless you drive from Penn Station to JHMI i'd you would be looking at a roughly 3 hour commute each day.
  22. Nakita

Nakita

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! As I suspected, it seems like it might be stressful... I have heard people commute for work, but I'm just not sure how practical 3 hour/day commute would be as a medical student. Unless I make that my study time. I'll just have to cross that bridge if/when I get to it! That would be a good problem to have, I guess ;)
  23. ywlke

ywlke

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :luck:

But really, it shouldn't be 3 hours unless you are living really close to the northern border of DC and need to take a local bus to a Red line Metro station.

Source: Hopkins undergrad from the Northern VA area that has used public transit between those two locations
  24. egreen3

egreen3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    funny thing is I submitted august 15 and STILL havent been verified yet. approaching 3 months. i didnt think my app was that bad :(
  25. bookfreak89

bookfreak89

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Ftfy and +1
  26. Nibbly

Nibbly

Pre-Medical
    +1 Submitted 8/17 :shrug:
  27. rxnfiend

rxnfiend

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does anyone know if there is an accepted c/o 2016 group on FB? It would be cool getting to know some of my potential future classmates! :)
  28. MelMelisqueen

MelMelisqueen Padawan

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think so--take the power into your hands
  29. Calvinball

Calvinball

Pre-Medical
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  30. sharpie1006

sharpie1006

Medical Student
    Do itttttttttttt
  31. rxnfiend

rxnfiend

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Done. :D I'll PM you guys the link. Anyone else accepted PM me on here and I'll send you a link and let you in the group as well! :thumbup:
  32. Nakita

Nakita

Pre-Medical
    Interview invite!!! I am scheduled for early December. Wow, maybe my situation isn't so hypothetical after all... :rolleyes: I am so excited!!!
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  33. Nakita

Nakita

Pre-Medical
    You know... after getting the II I did a little more research on JHSOM, I just realized that biochem is a requirement for 2012 entering class! I think I was looking at the old requirements when I applied; well, looks like I'm taking biochem next semester, haha! I've been out of school for a year and a half, so it should be fun getting back in the game, and taking it right before med school will be a plus, too. Funny, anyone who has already graduated and not taken biochem get an II? I don't think they'd let that one slide... so biochem here I come! Cool beans :cool:
    Also, anyone have any advice/tips for this interview day? I'm not going to lie, I am a bit extra nervous for this one...
  34. MelMelisqueen

MelMelisqueen Padawan

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I majored in nutritional biochem, so all of my biochemistry courses showed up as NUTR--this basically means no one thinks I've taken biochem until they ask me about it. After I got the acceptance call, I got an email about it and sent in my course syllabi; it therefore seems like biochem is not a requirement for acceptance, but rather matriculation.
  35. ps9891

ps9891

Uh oh...I got an MSTP II, graduated last spring, took biochem but it was only 3 credits worth. I asked my premed advisor about it, and she kind of just brushed it off and told me not to worry about it? IF I get accepted (big if here of course), I really hope I won't have to take it during the summer... yikes.
  36. nadaba

nadaba

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I had a 3 credit biochem class as well (it's all that my school offered). I was asked about it during my acceptance call, but was told it wouldn't be a problem :thumbup:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  37. omelas

omelas

Pre-Medical
    interview invite! SO excited!!!
  38. isabella1

isabella1

Pre-Medical
    When were those of you who got iis complete? Congrats!
  39. rjdmmfl

rjdmmfl Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Biochem is a requirement for matriculation, but NOT acceptance. You could even take the biochem class during the summer, as long as you have the passing grade prior to the first day of school!

3 credits is just fine, no need for Biochem lab...

Also, FYI... in a few years, ALL schools will likely start to require Biochem, as organic II is phased out of the MCAT and Biochem is phased in
  40. Yraqi

Yraqi

6 weeks and I'm still not complete? Help?
  41. Slev

Slev

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    x
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  42. ps9891

ps9891

big sigh of relief thanks! also heard from my premed advisor about biochem eventually becoming a requirement everywhere.

for MSTP, I was complete 10/18, II 11/4. not sure how representative of straight MD applications that is though.
  43. omelas

omelas

Pre-Medical
    I was complete October 12
  44. egreen3

egreen3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    so apparently there is hope...i submitted 8/15 and was finally marked complete 11/14...3 months. Now the waiting and hoping begins for an II!

btw...i just happened to check my secondary app page and noticed that below my submission date it said "App Complete: 11/14/11"...haven't gotten an email about being complete though....thought that was odd
  45. Nibbly

Nibbly

Pre-Medical
    Submitted: 8/17
    Complete: 11/15

Dang...
  46. caltechgirl

caltechgirl

Pre-Medical
    submitted 9/19
    complete 11/15
    geez that took a while
  47. bookfreak89

bookfreak89

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    +1

Received an email today.
  48. chronicidal

chronicidal Scrub

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    me too. what takes three months jebus.
  49. egreen3

egreen3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ^this

looks like a big wave of complete emails went out today.
  50. BoneMental

BoneMental

Pre-Medical
    Can someone PM me tips and whatnot for the interview, types of questions asked, and so on? I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: never happened
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.