2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone PM me tips and whatnot for the interview, types of questions asked, and so on? I'd really appreciate it.

inb4 someone angrily points to interview feedback...

Members don't see this ad.

I was told they would call you if you received an invite (MSTP) or a letter by mail if you don't.

I got an email for my MSTP interview invite. That said, I live in Canada, so they may not have wanted to pay long distance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just now submitting my secondary and I had a question on the Recommendations section. My university participates in the Health Professions Evaluation process, where they compile a committee letter and put it along with other faculty recommendations of your choice and mail it off. Would this fall under Committee/Advisor or Letter Packet?

I'm just now submitting my secondary and I had a question on the Recommendations section. My university participates in the Health Professions Evaluation process, where they compile a committee letter and put it along with other faculty recommendations of your choice and mail it off. Would this fall under Committee/Advisor or Letter Packet?
Unless your committee tells you otherwise, that is "Committee/Advisor".

Unless your committee tells you otherwise, that is "Committee/Advisor".

Thanks submitted. Wonder if anyone who's applied this late has ever gotten an interview or if I'm just throwing money away :laugh:

I got an email for my MSTP interview invite. That said, I live in Canada, so they may not have wanted to pay long distance.

Yeah someone else got an email as well - I'm just going based off an email I got when I completed, but obviously they are doing whatever they want ha ha

Got an interview invite today! I thought I had been passed over at Hopkins.

Does anyone know when the next batch of acceptances/wl/rejections will be released?

When I interviewed there they said (I think) the second week of december (or something like early december).

I interviewed at the end of oct. but they said because of the thanksgiving holiday- admissions would be delayed till december.

Hope that helps- some please et me know if anyone has a more exact date.

just got complete email. is that good or bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably just trying to figure out if they can expect to be complete soon.

Can anyone tell us what time the interview day ends? Trying to book a flight here. Also, what to expect?
Thank you!

can someone who has been recently invited for an interview (davedeluxe, pooghe, etc.) share their stats if they're comfortable doing that? just trying to gauge what's going on at JHop...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

can someone who has been recently invited for an interview (davedeluxe, pooghe, etc.) share their stats if they're comfortable doing that? just trying to gauge what's going on at JHop...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

It's all in my MDapps. Happy Thanksgiving!

Can anyone tell us what time the interview day ends? Trying to book a flight here. Also, what to expect?
Thank you!

:Your interview can end anywhere from 4:20-5:00PM and if you come to greeters night, you will get all your questions(or most of them) answered.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Accepted students have numbers all over the place so I wouldn't necessarily compare numbers with others. Good luck

JHUSOM MSI

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I honestly don't think anyone else's stats will give you any relevant information regarding your application. GPA 3.3 ~ 4.0, MCAT 27-45 ... that's the range!

I honestly don't think anyone else's stats will give you any relevant information regarding your application. GPA 3.3 ~ 4.0, MCAT 27-45 ... that's the range!

The 27-45 range gives me less information than knowing a handful of actual scores, because nobody is at all likely going to report a 27 or a 45.

Anyone interview late oct.? We were suppose to hear back early dec. right? Were we given an exact date? probably in two weeks.

well I will tell you my score was towards the lower end of that range, but God is amazing and faithful...thats all i can say. lol. honestly, I don't think the stats would be very helpful. everything is case by case. During the interview, I could see ranges of every kind (scores, majors, applicants who had graduated years ago and of course current seniors). With this school I think it's all about appearing balanced, decent scores but great extracurriculars and letters. =) Good luck!!

For applicants who have interviewed here, is the 5 PM end time really accurate? I have the chance to book a really cheap flight out of Baltimore at 5:50 PM and would need to leave the school by probably 4:30 at the latest.

Any input would be much appreciated!

For applicants who have interviewed here, is the 5 PM end time really accurate? I have the chance to book a really cheap flight out of Baltimore at 5:50 PM and would need to leave the school by probably 4:30 at the latest.

Any input would be much appreciated!
I had a small group on my interview day and we ended at 4:30, but 5:00 is probably the safe end time. You should call the admissions office to ask, they might be able to accommodate you by scheduling your interviews earlier. Granted, even 4:30 is pretty tight.

I had a small group on my interview day and we ended at 4:30, but 5:00 is probably the safe end time. You should call the admissions office to ask, they might be able to accommodate you by scheduling your interviews earlier. Granted, even 4:30 is pretty tight.

Thanks! I'll do that!

@AwkInterview, I interviewed here on the 27th and am now perpetually walking around with crossed fingers. "Early December" is painfully vague, haha.

@AwkInterview, I interviewed here on the 27th and am now perpetually walking around with crossed fingers. "Early December" is painfully vague, haha.

Well today is technically early dec.- Maybe today is the day.....
Oh vague deadlines!!!

I just got the call -- accepted!!!!!! I can't believe it!

ETA: I interviewed 10/7, fyi. Long wait but worth it!

Last edited:
Sent in my secondary September 7 or so, still not complete. Wtf?

I just got the call -- accepted!!!!!! I can't believe it!

ETA: I interviewed 10/7, fyi. Long wait but worth it!

Also got the call late last week! Couldn't be happier!

Do you guys know when the last interview are conducted? Is there any hope for more interview invites going out?

Do you guys know when the last interview are conducted? Is there any hope for more interview invites going out?

Sure hope so, I submitted only 2 weeks ago and haven't even received the complete e-mail yet :(

Submitted 9/28, completed today, Dec 6th. Now I'm nervous!

Nearly 100 days, 3 months, 1 season, or a fourth of a year later, Hopkins marks me as complete. Thank you.

I had a 3 credit biochem class as well (it's all that my school offered). I was asked about it during my acceptance call, but was told it wouldn't be a problem :thumbup:

I'm just curious about this because I was in the same situation before applying and called the admissions office and the person I spoke to did not know if I needed one more biochem credit and told me to email the office with my basic information. The emails went as follows:

I noticed the requirements for biochemistry is 4 credit hours which would usually translate to one 3 credit hour course along with a 1 credit hour lab. I have already taken biochemistry I (3 credits), however, my home institution does not offer a 1 credit hour lab. Instead it offers biochemistry II (3 credits) and a biochemical methods laboratory (2 credits and 6 hours). I was wondering instead of taking either of those classes if another course in chemistry would be an appropriate substitute. I have or will take the following upper division labs (3000-4000 level courses, 2 credits and 6 hours each):
-Physical Chemistry
-Inorganic Chemistry
-Advanced Analytical Chemistry
-Organic Chemistry Lab II (Organic Lab I is a 2 credit hour lab that covers both Organic I and II lectures)

Also, I have taken a graduate level polymer chemistry course and will be taking a graduate level course in organic chemistry this upcoming fall.

Response:

Unfortunately, we cannot accept substitutes for the biochemistry requirement.

Thank you.

This response implies either A) They didn't bother reading my email, or B) I have to meet the minimum of 4 credit hours.

Now I realize my application hasn't gone anywhere yet (I submitted secondary around 11/15 cause I'm a slacker :p ), but the entire reason I'm taking biochemical methods lab in the spring is to satisfy the one remaining credit hour I am missing, which if it isn't an issue I want to drop the class.

I'm just curious about this because I was in the same situation before applying and called the admissions office and the person I spoke to did not know if I needed one more biochem credit and told me to email the office with my basic information. The emails went as follows:

Response:

This response implies either A) They didn't bother reading my email, or B) I have to meet the minimum of 4 credit hours.

Now I realize my application hasn't gone anywhere yet (I submitted secondary around 11/15 cause I'm a slacker :p ), but the entire reason I'm taking biochemical methods lab in the spring is to satisfy the one remaining credit hour I am missing, which if it isn't an issue I want to drop the class.
Hmm, I'm not sure. I almost didn't apply here because I didn't have the extra credit, but I was PMing with someone who said he called Hopkins and verified that a 3-credit course was fine.

I don't want to give you bad information, though, because the stakes are high if you drop the class and it turns out you do need it :scared:

(I also hope they don't change their mind, because I'm not taking any more classes :laugh:)

So... anyone have a general time frame between a "complete" email and an interview invite?

I have a 3-credit biochem, and when I got the acceptance call I was told that I had fulfilled all the prerequisite requirements.

So... anyone have a general time frame between a "complete" email and an interview invite?

It was over a month for me, and this was back in the summer. It may be a longer wait now.

Completed 9/23...still waiting on any decision. Do they do silent rejections?

Thanks nadaba and candav, ya'll have made my night rock even though I have two finals tomorrow.

... yet (I submitted secondary around 11/15 cause I'm a slacker :p ).....

I submitted 11/21, glad to know I'm not the only one who cut it close. But if complete e-mails are taking this long, I don't know if we'll really be in the running for an interview. Let me know if you hear anything

Secondary submitted 10/6....complete 12/6. It was posted on the status page. Two days later, and I still did not receive an e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.