About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

* * 2011-2012 Letter of Recommendation Thread!! * *

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by ManBroDude, Apr 19, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Back 5

Back 5

SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I don't understand. You are going to apply to medical school and not have a letter of recommendation from a physician?
  2. 126990

126990 Guest

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    yeah, you need an MD letter if you're doing MD school and a DO letter if you're doing DO school.
  3. Quester

Quester

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I have a question regarding the letterhead.

If I asked my prof to write me a LOR and submit it online to Interfolio, does he have to type it in with the letterhead? It's a confidential letter.

Also, since schools require letters from someone in science 'faculty' would environmental science prof meet this requirement?

Thanks.
  4. 126990

126990 Guest

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i don't know, but i'd stick with prof's from the general requirements (gen chem, ochem, gen bio, gen phys) and upward into the upper division courses.
  5. 126990

126990 Guest

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    and yes, LOR's are customarily on letterhead.
  6. Quester

Quester

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Uh oh...I haven't told the prof about this. Should I just take the chance that he's writing on letterhead? I mean, he 'did' say that he's submitted ref. letters on Interfolio before...
  7. 126990

126990 Guest

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    they know the drill, but they sometimes also understand freaked-out pre-meds, especially if you have a good relationship with the prof...
  8. Quester

Quester

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Alright, thanks...I'll leave him be.

I'm really having a difficult time finding one other science prof because it's been ages since I've taken gen bio, chem, phys plus I never went to their office hours. If geography is considered 'other science' shouldn't it be okay getting a letter from this department? Has anyone done this before?
  9. GHETTOFLOW21

GHETTOFLOW21

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys, I am really stressing out about the letters of recommendation for a non-science professor. I went to UC Davis and did not really interact much with professors from my non-science classes. What would you suggest I do, and if I am not able to get a letter of recommendation of this type, am I screwed out of applying this round? Or can I get some other type of letter that will make up for this? I already have two letters of rec from science professors. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
  10. Neuromancer84

Neuromancer84

Pre-Medical
    I am applying to a post bacc program and I need LORs. I have been out of school since 2010 (and the last few classes I took I performed less than stellar in) and haven't worked in a year. Needless to say I am having a big difficulty figuring out where I can get LOR's from. Should I go back and ask old employers for a letter? Also, would it look bad if a family member who is an M.D. writes me a LOR?
  11. docmayer

docmayer

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Umm well I really hope you dont NEED a LOR from a non-science prof. I have 2 science profs and 2 physicians and I think that meets the requirement of most DO schools. Only a select few require a non-science LOR.
  12. 09ine

09ine

Pre-Medical
    So hey everyone one big question, since the AMCAs sends in application materials as it's submitted, is it ok if I send in everything but my Letters of Recommendation until later in June? Does my application only get acknowledged when everything is together finally or when the first few files are added in?
  13. COMedic2Doc

COMedic2Doc

Now that I'm back from Iraq, on to applying for Me
    Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do not send your LORs to AMCAS or AACOMAS, period et finale. Your letters will not even come into consideration until you receive your secondaries, THEN your letters become useful. Until this period of time, you need to submit transcripts, the primary, and yes the fees for the primary. Don't worry the individual schools want their money too so there will be another fee with each secondary. You can choose to use Interfolio for your letters, but it seems as though you've already received your letters yourself and not kept them confidential. SO, using Interfolio is now pointless and you should save the money.
  14. 09ine

09ine

Pre-Medical
    Oh no I haven't received them at all yet, I was just worried that the letters would be needed on June 1st since the AAMC lists several things I have to send in for my application. That is some useful information though, thank you.
  15. COMedic2Doc

COMedic2Doc

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Trust me, I know your pain on this one as far as waiting for letters goes. I recently returned from Iraq and am applying to medical school this year, so I'm still waiting for a lot of my letters as well. Hence, I'm not as up to date on my letters as I originally planned. Moral of the story, stick with it even when life throws you obstacles to overcome.
  16. jccalalafc

jccalalafc

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    for the pre-health committee letter, do the science faculty letters have to be professors that have taught me, or can i have one who i have built a personal relationship with outside the classroom (he's not a family member)?
  17. COMedic2Doc

COMedic2Doc

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Personally, I would highly recommend someone that you have taken a course from and finished or finishing well in their course. I would not use a friend, which I'd define as someone that I hang out with outside the classroom, write a science faculty letter.
  18. Iliketoytles

Iliketoytles

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The letter should be from someone who can describe you as a student AND person... so yeah, he/she should probably have had you in class at some point.
  19. Back 5

Back 5

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I graduated from undergrad 10+ yrs ago. To satisfy committee LOR requirements I simply have to find a Dean stating I graduated in good standing with no marks on my record in such and such a year?

Also, I have been asking professors now for LOR's from my current post bacc. If they upload to interfolio now and I apply next cycle (not this year) will my letters be considered too old?

Thanks.