* * 2011-2012 Letter of Recommendation Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone. Is it the end of the world if I don't have a physician LOR? I have two science, one non science, and one PI letter. Should I get another one? My options for a fifth are either:

1. TA I've had two classes with who I've also worked for in a lab for about 1 year
2. A work reference- OChem and Chem tutor, she offered to write me one
3. The nurse at the hospital I volunteer at who coordinates the volunteer program(pre-operating room volunteering)
I don't understand. You are going to apply to medical school and not have a letter of recommendation from a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand. You are going to apply to medical school and not have a letter of recommendation from a physician?

yeah, you need an MD letter if you're doing MD school and a DO letter if you're doing DO school.

I have a question regarding the letterhead.

If I asked my prof to write me a LOR and submit it online to Interfolio, does he have to type it in with the letterhead? It's a confidential letter.

Also, since schools require letters from someone in science 'faculty' would environmental science prof meet this requirement?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know, but i'd stick with prof's from the general requirements (gen chem, ochem, gen bio, gen phys) and upward into the upper division courses.

and yes, LOR's are customarily on letterhead.

Uh oh...I haven't told the prof about this. Should I just take the chance that he's writing on letterhead? I mean, he 'did' say that he's submitted ref. letters on Interfolio before...

they know the drill, but they sometimes also understand freaked-out pre-meds, especially if you have a good relationship with the prof...

they know the drill, but they sometimes also understand freaked-out pre-meds, especially if you have a good relationship with the prof...

Alright, thanks...I'll leave him be.

I'm really having a difficult time finding one other science prof because it's been ages since I've taken gen bio, chem, phys plus I never went to their office hours. If geography is considered 'other science' shouldn't it be okay getting a letter from this department? Has anyone done this before?

Hey guys, I am really stressing out about the letters of recommendation for a non-science professor. I went to UC Davis and did not really interact much with professors from my non-science classes. What would you suggest I do, and if I am not able to get a letter of recommendation of this type, am I screwed out of applying this round? Or can I get some other type of letter that will make up for this? I already have two letters of rec from science professors. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

I am applying to a post bacc program and I need LORs. I have been out of school since 2010 (and the last few classes I took I performed less than stellar in) and haven't worked in a year. Needless to say I am having a big difficulty figuring out where I can get LOR's from. Should I go back and ask old employers for a letter? Also, would it look bad if a family member who is an M.D. writes me a LOR?

Hey guys, I am really stressing out about the letters of recommendation for a non-science professor. I went to UC Davis and did not really interact much with professors from my non-science classes. What would you suggest I do, and if I am not able to get a letter of recommendation of this type, am I screwed out of applying this round? Or can I get some other type of letter that will make up for this? I already have two letters of rec from science professors. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Umm well I really hope you dont NEED a LOR from a non-science prof. I have 2 science profs and 2 physicians and I think that meets the requirement of most DO schools. Only a select few require a non-science LOR.

So hey everyone one big question, since the AMCAs sends in application materials as it's submitted, is it ok if I send in everything but my Letters of Recommendation until later in June? Does my application only get acknowledged when everything is together finally or when the first few files are added in?

So hey everyone one big question, since the AMCAs sends in application materials as it's submitted, is it ok if I send in everything but my Letters of Recommendation until later in June? Does my application only get acknowledged when everything is together finally or when the first few files are added in?
Do not send your LORs to AMCAS or AACOMAS, period et finale. Your letters will not even come into consideration until you receive your secondaries, THEN your letters become useful. Until this period of time, you need to submit transcripts, the primary, and yes the fees for the primary. Don't worry the individual schools want their money too so there will be another fee with each secondary. You can choose to use Interfolio for your letters, but it seems as though you've already received your letters yourself and not kept them confidential. SO, using Interfolio is now pointless and you should save the money.

Oh no I haven't received them at all yet, I was just worried that the letters would be needed on June 1st since the AAMC lists several things I have to send in for my application. That is some useful information though, thank you.

Trust me, I know your pain on this one as far as waiting for letters goes. I recently returned from Iraq and am applying to medical school this year, so I'm still waiting for a lot of my letters as well. Hence, I'm not as up to date on my letters as I originally planned. Moral of the story, stick with it even when life throws you obstacles to overcome.

for the pre-health committee letter, do the science faculty letters have to be professors that have taught me, or can i have one who i have built a personal relationship with outside the classroom (he's not a family member)?

for the pre-health committee letter, do the science faculty letters have to be professors that have taught me, or can i have one who i have built a personal relationship with outside the classroom (he's not a family member)?
Personally, I would highly recommend someone that you have taken a course from and finished or finishing well in their course. I would not use a friend, which I'd define as someone that I hang out with outside the classroom, write a science faculty letter.

The letter should be from someone who can describe you as a student AND person... so yeah, he/she should probably have had you in class at some point.

I graduated from undergrad 10+ yrs ago. To satisfy committee LOR requirements I simply have to find a Dean stating I graduated in good standing with no marks on my record in such and such a year?

Also, I have been asking professors now for LOR's from my current post bacc. If they upload to interfolio now and I apply next cycle (not this year) will my letters be considered too old?

Thanks.