Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

2011-2012 Loma Linda Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by Sammich117, 05.22.11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiyaman

hiyaman under the bad sun

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What does it mean by "describe your involvement with your religious group?"
    Would youth group activities be a good thing to write about here?
  2. MrLahey

MrLahey Trailer Park Supervisor

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Submitted secondary....how long do people thing we should wait to hear about interviews?
  3. ejisuh90

ejisuh90

Pre-Medical
    Does the same apply if I wont receive my MCAT scores until the fall as well?
  4. sector9

sector9 'He's a loathsome, offensive brute' Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    Correct.

A few schools will look at your app and even invite you for an interview without your LORs (like Ohio State), but no school will look at you without an MCAT
  5. Floridian31

Floridian31

Pre-Medical
    On the secondary, did anyone see a spot for "Number of Classes Planned" under the Previous Colleges Section? I didn't and when I submitted and printed off my app I have 0 classes planned for the upcoming year (even tho I'll be a full-time student). I swear there wasn't a spot to fill that out. Anyone else have that problem? Should I contact LLU about it?

Also, on the printed version of my app under the Previous Colleges Section it says, "If you plan to complete coursework before starting a program at LLU, you must submit a Projected Coursework form for each college where you will be completing coursework." Where do I find that form and how do I send it in? Or do I even need to do that?
  6. coptmd2b

coptmd2b

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I had the same problem! I didn't see it listed anywhere either...Let me know if you find anything out!
  7. Floridian31

Floridian31

Pre-Medical
    I called and they said it was no big deal, that they take that info. from the primary AMCAS application.
  8. PhoenixFire

PhoenixFire

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do they send secondaries to everyone, or just screened applicants?
  9. kautionwirez

kautionwirez Hadoken!

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    complete 8/16/11 by email
  10. houie

houie

Hey everyone.... how long did it take you to receive your secondaries?
  11. SheilaG

SheilaG

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    everyone
  12. Jimmer

Jimmer

Medical Student
    Primary ............... June 2
    2ndary Request .... June 29

The interview calendar is a tad different at Loma Linda. They start interviewing at SDA campuses first. When they are finished, SDA students will interview on LLU campus starting in late November (SDA invites go out starting in October) and non-SDA will interview in January. Rolling acceptance offers will not start until sometime in December.
  13. Mdard

Mdard

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey people. Looks like there are a few common questions, so I will try to hit some of them. BTW I am not SDA.

1) Agree to the lifestyle policy. Duh. Besides religious reasons, abstaining from alcohol during the hardest 4 years of school is not a bad idea. (and it's hard...first week is a kick in the groin)

2) I did not have a pastor letter. I was a high school ministry teacher at a small church (75ppl) for a few years. I taught a few Bible studies. Basically they want Christians. We pray before lecture, have weekly chapel and discuss Christian themes in a weekly class from the perspective of medicine. For Christians it is awesome. For non-Christians, you will get angry.

3) I am willing to read 2ndaries. PM me.

I am a first year, and this school is a Medical School. It gets a lot of bad rep, but the teachers are top notch, brand new facilities, and great area.

My Stats:

3.5 Undergrad (3.0 JC, 3.8 University)
    36Q
    2 years EMT
    Shadowing/Volunteering
    Random Clubs
    2ndary in October (when I applied...oops!)
    Interview January
    Waitlist April
    Got in July 1st

If you are SDA, you have a good shot. I still feel kinda bitter that they get so much preference and assistance throughout education (K-12 to med school) and it feels like there are groups formed before day one, but everyone is really nice and they have a lot of the same values as any Christian. (Honestly, the Sabbath off is a great idea, but I have a thing against religious rules like that and no meat, so I'm no SDA, but I do abide by their alcohol and drug rules)

Hit me up if you have any questions.
  14. Mdard

Mdard

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It would. But they are really looking for leadership stuff. Teaching, organizing, etc. Just going at least shows it is important to you though.
  15. centraldogma

centraldogma The Young Wolf

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    came to ask this. thanks. hope i see you guys in january :D
  16. rubisco88

rubisco88

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does LLU accept a good amount of Catholics each year? My friend told me that SDA people don't really like Catholics. I think I would really fit in at LLU, but I don't want to apply if I won't have a decent shot just because I'm Catholic.
  17. qtipp

qtipp

LLU has accepted Catholics in the past. It is LLU Policy to admit a sizable amount of non-SDA students each year. If you share the values of the school and you are a competitive candidate I don't think they will hesitate to consider your application. LLU is a Christian institution affiliated with the SDA Church.

I'm SDA and I like Catholics:oops:. Some of my Catholic friends come to church with me all the time and they feel welcomed. Your friend probably has a misunderstanding of SDAs which is common. As a denomination, Seventh-day Adventists are NOT ant-Catholic. If you are interested in the exact position/beliefs that SDA's have about the Catholic faith you can PM me and have any questions about anything else you have heard... I would love to answer your questions:D. I firmly believe you will feel welcome there if you share the Christian values of the institution.

All the best for this application cycle!
  18. Salient

Salient

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hello MS2, I'm an MS1!

Re: Catholics and SDAs. As far as I'm aware, the admissions committee doesn't discriminate between non-SDA denominations. They're far more concerned with what kind of person you are and what your goals and motivations are than what specific theological beliefs you were brought up to believe in.

They occasionally accept people from other faiths as well, but the religious aspects of school here are pretty overtly Christian so you would have to be okay with putting up with that if you're coming in from another background.

Take that with a grain of salt though, since I've never seen the inside of the admissions process so I can only infer what goes on from the results I observe.

I don't know the actual numbers, but it seems like the majority of people I've befriended in my class are not SDA.
  19. thedoctor8706

thedoctor8706

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    If you guys are interested in life at LLU, or just med school in general, you may want to check out the LLU Student Blog:

http://llusm.wordpress.com/

It has a few contributors from every year, myself included, and I think it would be pretty interesting for you guys. Check it out if you want!
  20. Salient

Salient

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Who would have guessed we even have the same name?
  21. kautionwirez

kautionwirez Hadoken!

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    But is it true that non SDA applicants will be interviewed at the beginning of the next year?
  22. thedoctor8706

thedoctor8706

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    no way.............. haha! I definitely thought you were someone else! :laugh:
  23. thedoctor8706

thedoctor8706

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    The way interviews work is after applications have been received, they send a guy out to the major Adventist Universities (Andrews, Southern, Oakwood, Walla Walla, etc) and he does early interviews. After those finish (usually beginning of November), interviews begin for the general population, and those are not preferential for religion. Rolling acceptances begin the third Friday of December.
  24. blahblah56

blahblah56

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    anyone know if LLU sends out secondary apps to everyone? My AMCAS just got verified the other day and I received a secondary email from LLU. However, my MCAT was very low (23M) so I'm wondering if it's even worth it to submit the secondary app with the $75 fee. I also received the FAP and still in the process fo seeing if they will waive the secondary fee for me as well.
  25. Protean Premed

Protean Premed

Pre-Medical
    Hi all, just heard from my friend that he got in Loma Linda. He found out this morning. Thought y'all might find that interesting.
  26. Salient

Salient

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I didn't think that even the EDP guys found out until October. Well, congrats to him then!
  27. Protean Premed

Protean Premed

Pre-Medical
    He's very excited :) I had thought schools couldn't tell until October, but I guess that's not true!

I, on the other hand, will likely not hear back from my #1 until late next spring. Oh, green-eyed monster, please leave me be. To everything there is a season, after all :)
  28. Inkoate

Inkoate

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just turned in my secondary! I'm non-SDA, but I made sure to highlight my religious involvement and my desire to learn at LLUSM specifically. i really like this school, so hopefully LLUSM will show me some love!
    Last edited: 09.28.11
  29. jo622

jo622

Pre-Medical
    Can someone tell me what my chances are for getting into LL?? Thanks!

Submitted secondary: 10/9
    MCAT: 31P
    GPA: 3.82
    SDA (attending non-SDA college)
    Activities: 300 hrs of volunteering at the hospital (also a student leader), working with underprivileged children, Mexico mission trips with church (5 times), research, other various clubs

I feel very hopeless right now because my application is sooo late. And right now if I even have a chance at med school, I feel like LL's my best hope.
    Last edited: 10.09.11
  30. mipp0

mipp0

SDN 5+ Year Member
    If you're a SDA, shouldn't you pray? If you believe in God, all things are possible through Him.

Your numbers are great for LLU, and your ECs are average/below average.
  31. Salient

Salient

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Your stats are above average for SDA matriculants. For what it's worth I submitted in October and still got accepted, so I wouldn't rule yourself out just yet.

What's done is done though, so try not to stress yourself out over it. You'll get in one way or another.
  32. jo622

jo622

Pre-Medical
    I was going through a brief panic and brooding mood. After reading Philippians 4 and praying I have calmed down considerably. I was being extremely selfish and lost sight of my purpose for pursuing medicine.

Could I ask when you received an interview invite? Thanks!
  33. rubisco88

rubisco88

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How should you approach questions about abortion, birth control, and plan b at the LLU interview?

Will you be looked down upon if you say that you think it's the patient's choice to make and you will do what is best for the patient? As long as you say that abortion etc. isn't a decision you would make for yourself personally will they still think you are a bad person if as a physician you would prescribe birth control etc to a patient who wanted it.

I am Christian (Catholic) and think that abortion can be considered in extenuating circumstances and that plan b is okay to give out to someone who was raped.

I just don't want to say something about these issues that would result in an automatic rejection.
  34. qtipp

qtipp

Your position is actually consistent with the official policy of the Seventh-day Adventist Church so I don't think you'd have a problem.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20060207...ntist.org/beliefs/guidelines/main_guide1.html

Perhaps mentioning that during your interview if faced with the question will be looked upon favorably. All the best!:thumbup:
  35. Salient

Salient

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Abortion wasn't brought up at my interview. I can't say that there's no chance of it happening at yours, but they're really just trying to get to know you as a person more than grilling you about such controversial issues.

If you're a decent human being, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  36. VNguyen820

VNguyen820

Pre-Medical
    I'm doing the secondary right now and they require transcripts from all past universities. Does this include foreign institutions? Cause that may not be possible...
  37. azhockey

azhockey

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe this is only if you end up matriculating that you have to submit all transcripts from past universities.
  38. KLycos

KLycos

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    do they email for II?
  39. ilikesports

ilikesports

MD/PhD Student

Actually, no they sent me a letter in the mail (snail mail)

But yes, I just received a II mail request!!!

I'm not SDA (though I am a Christian).

I'm not from CA (I'm from East Coast).

Anyone else interviewing at LLU in December??

I'm pretty excited!!!
  40. rottweiler225

rottweiler225

Pre-Medical
    when were you complete?
  41. berriesandcream

berriesandcream

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm jelly! have the secondary. go to a SDA adventist school in CA. am about 30 minutes from LLU, tons of friends who go there. If you have any questions/need a tour/people to talk to, let me know :)
  42. ilikesports

ilikesports

MD/PhD Student
    I was complete July 5 (including Recommendations and MCAT scores).
  43. ilikesports

ilikesports

MD/PhD Student

Ahhh Man!! That stinks! I hope you hear from them soon. Yea, I'll PM you if I have any questions. I actually visited LLU a few months ago and I really liked it. My extended family is all from Southern California (Some pretty close to LLU (in Corona) so they all told me about LLU. I'm actually VERY excited for this interview. It is probably one of the most unique schools out there because of it's Christian affiliation. Anyway, just continue to be patient. And maybe we'll be classmates next year as MS1's......
  44. berriesandcream

berriesandcream

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    oooh awesome! yeah, i'm from around Corona :) it's an amazing school. did research there this summer! curriculum is awesome! Continued having my fingers crossed. My MCAT is not stellar, so Dr. Wright told me that due to my situation, i can show potential through my current classes, the secondary, and the interview :xf: I'll take biomed as well if I have too! but it'll definitely be awesome if we're classmates next year :D
  45. qtipp

qtipp

`
    Last edited: 11.15.11
  46. serenade02

serenade02

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I finally got the complete email today. IS/non-SDA Catholic. Really hope to get in to LLU :). Hope Catholics have good chance here :D
  47. mightymoose02

mightymoose02

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does LLU extend secondary application deadline?

Just wondering.
  48. packerfan13

packerfan13

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Scheduled my interview today for January 10th.
  49. aspiringphys

aspiringphys

Pre-Medical
    Hi,
    Does anyone know whether Canadians are in the same applicant pool as U.S. citizens for LLU?
  50. aspiringphys

aspiringphys

Pre-Medical
    Does everyone receive a secondary from LLU? Or does receiving a secondary mean that we have cleared one hurdle?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal