2011-2012 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright then so this Friday is the day... Now I'm even more nervous. Thanks though bro!

This month is actually similar to last December and my friend got accepted Friday the 16th so am sure if acceptances go out every third Friday, this Friday would be the day our faith would be decided, mine included.:scared:

Got my fingers crossed for us three and whoever else is waiting on a decision!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,

i've been happy just to lurk this board for quite some time now but i need some opinions so i caved in and joined (yay).

i got a call from dr nyirady today asking what my biochem grade was (A-) and if i could send in my transcript with first semester on it. it was lousy at best (3.7).

do they frequently ask for 4th year grades? should i be worried?

oh ya, im an sda applicant for anyone wondering

Were you interviewed and/or accepted already?

I thought he only calls to give out acceptances after interviews. o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed by default when he did his rounds to sda schools. this is the first i've heard from them.

seems like they want to know your grades before making a final decision on your file. I'd say you have a pretty good chance since your grades for the fall quarter are very good :)

Do any other former applicants have any sort of experience with receiving calls from Dr. Nyirady (that weren't acceptance calls)?

Are they making calls today? I know it is match day for their 4th years.

lol, no news is still better than a rejection. maybe next week

Well the match can be a crazy time around med schools. Maybe they just put it off until next week.

received message from Dr. Nyirady this morning, but called back too late to find out what he wanted to ask/tell me, interviewed 2/28, sorry can't be more helpful everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
received message from Dr. Nyirady this morning, but called back too late to find out what he wanted to ask/tell me, interviewed 2/28, sorry can't be more helpful everyone

So you missed the call and he was gone by the time you called back? That stinks! If I were you, I would e-mail him and ask what the call was about. He may respond back before Monday.
After I was accepted, I sent him a thank you letter since he was my interviewer, and he responded during the weekend.

Best of Luck!

If Dr Nyirady called, you got accepted :) I have only ever heard him call to accept people. Rejections/wait lists are only ever sent by snail mail. So no worries to you ;) congrats!

I guess I was silently rejected without an interview. Sighhh.

I guess I should make an amendment to what I posted a few responses above... What I said above about Dr. Nyirady only calling with acceptances applies to when he calls on "Acceptance Fridays," otherwise known as the 3rd Friday of the month (or the following Monday/Tuesday, when he calls because he didn't make it through all the acceptance calls on one Friday). Anyways, that is just USUALLY the case based on trends and what others have said over the last couple of years. Just wanted to make that clear so I didn't lead anyone astray haha

oh, accepted last friday via phone call from Dr Nyirady ~ 3pm central. I was so tired from finals but really excited

I interviewed on Monday January 23, and still no rejection letter or phone call!
I interviewed with Dr. Nyirady, and another PhD. I think I did okay on the first one, and better on the second. Dr. Nyirady sort of quizzed me on my classes and alcohol use, which I did admit to. I'm SDA lol!

Calls go out on Friday's huh? I dunno, the timing for these acceptances seems weird...Two of my friends interviewed in December and got accepted in January. My interview will be two months ago this Friday..if no call, is that an indication of anything at all?? Aghh

I interviewed on Monday January 23, and still no rejection letter or phone call!
I interviewed with Dr. Nyirady, and another PhD. I think I did okay on the first one, and better on the second. Dr. Nyirady sort of quizzed me on my classes and alcohol use, which I did admit to. I'm SDA lol!

Calls go out on Friday's huh? I dunno, the timing for these acceptances seems weird...Two of my friends interviewed in December and got accepted in January. My interview will be two months ago this Friday..if no call, is that an indication of anything at all?? Aghh

My first interviewer, an MD/PhD not directly on the admissions committee, told me they accept 10-20% right after interviews (the following month) and they swiftly reject 10-20% of interviewees. The rest are pooled together and decided on at a later time.

Hey guys!
Just wondering if you guys have a FB group.

The link to the dental school's is https://www.facebook.com/groups/285728751469080/

We're all trying to search for roommates/housing etc.
Since we'll most likely be spending most of our time with our classmates, just thought it would be nice to come home to a different face/different school. :)

Got rejected pre-interview via postal mail this morning. Good luck to the rest of you!

I've heard that all schools have to send out all their acceptances and rejections by March 31st and that waitlists don't really have a deadline. Is this true?

hmm.. that could be because on their website they say you can start calling april 1st.

Calling about what? Status of application?

I dont think those dates apply to people who have been interviewed, right? I was told by front desk person that I would hear from them end of April. I dont know if that applies to everyone. thedoctor person has said that interviews in April are rare. So maybe its just a soft deadline for all schools to let ppl know if the school is intetested in them or not.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SDN Mobile

What I am still wondering is if last friday was one of those acceptance fridays or not. They were on Spring Break last week. Maybe it was the 16th which was the 3rd friday. But I heard that was finals week and Match Day too. I wonder if these events affect the admissions commitee.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SDN Mobile

i've only heard recently of that one person above that got accepted 2 weeks ago. you would think there would be more news if it was one. im holding on to the hope that it wasnt lol.

I know of at least one, possibly two, people here who got calls on that Friday.

So is it safe to expect that they are going to be rolling out decisions on April 20 (3rd friday of April)? Then after that date, it's pretty much wait-list or rejection?

And... what happend to this thread? Where did everybody go? :confused:

Also, their class FB page has 50 students, while in comparison, last year's has 200... so... is that an indication of how many more students they're taking? (Granted, maybe not everyone accepted joined the FB group yet).

Just called the admissions office and they said everyone should have a final decision by the end of April. Except those on the waitlist, of course.

Also, their class FB page has 50 students, while in comparison, last year's has 200... so... is that an indication of how many more students they're taking? (Granted, maybe not everyone accepted joined the FB group yet).

Ours (current MS1) has 200+ members now, but I think it remained fairly small until the summer before we started. So I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indication of how many have been accepted yet. If you guys haven't already done this, you can have the admissions office e-mail a link to your group out to everyone who's been accepted.

Just called the admissions office and they said everyone should have a final decision by the end of April. Except those on the waitlist, of course.

I didn't find out until July 5th. One guy in our class didn't find out until the week of orientation. Stay positive about what you're doing in life, be exploring other options, but maintain some perspective. Don't just say "Well, this is how it is." You just don't know yet.

I don't think so. Some of those people are graduating in 2016 but were accepted in previous years. People that take additional degrees, defer their acceptance or repeat their 1st year will all end up in another class other than their original graduation class. That's probably why the number is so high. I am not sure how many people are in each incoming class but I am pretty sure they always have 150+ people coming in as first years. (if someone else has more accurate stats, please post them :) )

But I am also curious as to how many seats are still available. I wonder if they already have given out enough interviews/acceptances but are just waiting for people to decline so that they can start pulling more names. :xf:

I didn't find out until July 5th. One guy in our class didn't find out until the week of orientation. Stay positive about what you're doing in life, be exploring other options, but maintain some perspective. Don't just say "Well, this is how it is." You just don't know yet.

^I agree. Wise words of wisdom :)

For those who are still waiting (myself included), rejection letters have been going out past few weeks. This might be the reason why there hasn't been many posts on this thread lately. I personally know a few people who just received their rejection letters very recently. I still haven't received mine yet, but I am kinda hoping I would get it earlier rather than later. I am just assuming the worst case and prepping for the next application.

There's still a chance for us. But honestly, at this moment, it seems like being rejected is far more likely than being accepted/waitlisted. It's not the end of the world. There's always next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.