2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm quiet thread. hope i'm the only one applying!

Question- I'm not a LA resident, but I have lived in NOLA for the past three years for school. I love the area and could really see myself practicing medicine here, but the OOS matriculation rate is crazy low. Thoughts?

OOS matriculation is limited to MD/PhD applicants and children of alumni to my knowledge

Question- I'm not a LA resident, but I have lived in NOLA for the past three years for school. I love the area and could really see myself practicing medicine here, but the OOS matriculation rate is crazy low. Thoughts?

OOS matriculation is limited to MD/PhD applicants and children of alumni to my knowledge

Yup. The only other way is to establish residency or domicile in LA. However, that's hard to do and most likely not achievable while in school. Usually requires working and living in the state (in addition to changing things to LA as in Driver's license, car registration, etc.) while not attending a school in the state. I'm pretty sure there is a guy in our class who did do this but he worked for 2 years in NOLA after graduated, IIRC.

Here are the full details of establishing LA residency: http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/administration/pm/pm-31.pdf

Your best bet to stay in NOLA would be to apply to Tulane med.

Because they don't do the letter service with amcas are you submitting your letters immediately or waiting until they send you a secondary and submitting your letters then?

On the MSAR they said they are expanding to accept up to 40 OOS students...will this make it easier to apply OOS if you are not doing MD/PhD and/or a child of faculty?

On the MSAR they said they are expanding to accept up to 40 OOS students...will this make it easier to apply OOS if you are not doing MD/PhD and/or a child of faculty?

from what my pre-med office at Xavier which is in New Orleans, the "up to 40 OOS" only helps those that are doing MD/PhD and/or child of an alum

Does anyone have any hints/ideas/suggestions on what they are looking for from the secondary app essay. It's very vague...

If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school.

I think it's intentionally vague. I didn't attach anything. If you feel like you have some issue, whatever it may be, that you feel their knowledge of would benefit you, that isn't already on the amcas application or other element of the secondary, include it.

Maybe something like a family death to explain a period of bad grades or some such.

I think it's intentionally vague. I didn't attach anything. If you feel like you have some issue, whatever it may be, that you feel their knowledge of would benefit you, that isn't already on the amcas application or other element of the secondary, include it.

Maybe something like a family death to explain a period of bad grades or some such.

So you didn't attach anything and you got in? hmmm, good to know. So you think it's more of an explanation of anything not so great on your application rather than another personal statement? I feel like usually when applications say "if you wish" what they're really saying is "you really really should..." lol

Members don't see this ad :)

establishing LA residency while in school is hard, but one of my classmates is getting there. If you voted in LA the past couple years, you could probably get the LA driver's license, etc..they would help your case with the med school. It's up to the med school to decide your residency classification, but those docs would help.

and MD/PhD accepts OOS. there's 6 in my year, 3 of us are OOS.. I think the incomings have at least 2 OOS (out of 5 total the last time I checked..there may be more though).

Good luck with the cycle!:luck:

So you didn't attach anything and you got in? hmmm, good to know. So you think it's more of an explanation of anything not so great on your application rather than another personal statement? I feel like usually when applications say "if you wish" what they're really saying is "you really really should..." lol

some of the other schools had an extra section that was similar, but it asked "what contributions could you uniquely add to the school" or something like that.. so I think I attached a modified version of that for LSU..it's been a while though, so maybe I didn't attach anything..idk

Does anyone have any hints/ideas/suggestions on what they are looking for from the secondary app essay. It's very vague...

If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school.
I came to ask this same question. I took loveoforganic's interpretation of it, and I do not plan on attaching anything unless I see anyone here or hear from others that I should.

I am a CA resident and I applied here.

Do I have a chance of getting in? No LA ties.

I also have a hill type trend in my GPA, should I mention that in my app why?

I was under the impression that they are expanding their class this year to include 40 OOS students in the regular 4 year MD program (both from the MSAR, and from the school's website). Is this incorrect?

Call and ask. Can't hurt to ask someone official. A previous post in this thread mentioned that they were told by an outside source that the OOS expansion only included md/phd/alumni children, but just get yourself an official answer and post the results

Call and ask. Can't hurt to ask someone official. A previous post in this thread mentioned that they were told by an outside source that the OOS expansion only included md/phd/alumni children, but just get yourself an official answer and post the results

To everyone applying without any LA ties.

They are accepting OOS.

Does being an out of state student going to LSU Baton Rouge qualify one as "having ties" to Louisiana?

I read in the previous year forum that LSU has accepted people with a low verbal score (6) from what I saw. I took the MCAT twice, one time 11 9 9 (PVB) and the second time (May 21) 12 6 10 (PVB). I know I am not a 6 and it has to have been a fluke but at this point I have already turned in the secondary for LSU and my advisor told me to give it a shot. What does LSU do with multiple scores? Will they see me as a 9 or 6 or will they not even know what I am?

also i called the admissions staff and they were saying that they don't start reviewing apps till september? i always thought they would look at them as soon as they got a complete file.

From what i learned the verbal has a lot of bearing but I think they look at all of your scores and being in the 28-29 range is good so you should be fine.:D

Is anyone else typing their secondary instead of writing it out? Do you know how to change the font in Adobe? I can't even make my employers address fit on one line, and I have really atrocious handwriting, I'd rather not write anything out....

Can't believe I found this thread so late in the game.

I will try and help with any questions since I'm pretty much free for the next 3 weeks.

the adcom committee said that they only start reviewing apps from september...is that how it always has been or they just saying that so I don't call again haha?

Is anyone else typing their secondary instead of writing it out? Do you know how to change the font in Adobe? I can't even make my employers address fit on one line, and I have really atrocious handwriting, I'd rather not write anything out....

I made it into a watermark in Word (I think you just go to some menu allowing you to insert>watermark, then choose the pdf), then changed sizes and typed as needed. Worked quite well for me.

Yup. The only other way is to establish residency or domicile in LA. However, that's hard to do and most likely not achievable while in school. Usually requires working and living in the state (in addition to changing things to LA as in Driver's license, car registration, etc.) while not attending a school in the state. I'm pretty sure there is a guy in our class who did do this but he worked for 2 years in NOLA after graduated, IIRC.

Here are the full details of establishing LA residency: http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/administration/pm/pm-31.pdf

Your best bet to stay in NOLA would be to apply to Tulane med.

Though I don't necessarily disagree with the above, note that establishing residency is a subjective analysis. The definition of a resident for tuition purposes is someone who has "abandoned all prior domiciles and has been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately preceding the first day of classes." It's true that being in LA only for educational purposes is not sufficient "WITHOUT substantial evidence of the intent to remain in Louisiana" (emphasis added). So it's your individual intent that is dispositive in this case.

The linked document has lots of great ways to prove you are a resident (that is, to prove your intent). If you want to be a resident by August 2012, start checking those boxes asap to start the one-year clock running (if you haven't already). Notwithstanding LSU's apparent new policy of admitting some OOS people, it's way easier as a resident.

Good luck!

Needless disclaimer: the above is not legal advice. ;)

when do they start sending interview invites?

I think I sent my application a while back and haven't heard from LSU yet... should I send them an email or give them a call?

Unless you're Early Decision, they're not going to look at your file until September.

I've heard that they're kind of spotty in emailing notifications of the complete-ness your file, so maybe call two weeks after you've sent everything by snail mail (maybe 3-5 days after electronic submission).

First wave of regular interview invites went out in mid-September last year (I think). Check last year's thread for timing to be sure.

Good luck everyone!:luck:

Unless you're Early Decision, they're not going to look at your file until September.

I've heard that they're kind of spotty in emailing notifications of the complete-ness your file, so maybe call two weeks after you've sent everything by snail mail (maybe 3-5 days after electronic submission).

First wave of regular interview invites went out in mid-September last year (I think). Check last year's thread for timing to be sure.

Yeah I think I sent it around 6/27 via USPS mail.

I don't like waiting!!!! but I also have 6 other secondaries right now.... :(

Good luck to you too sir! 3 years of PhD, hope you get a good project.

Good luck on your apps, everyone. I am in the class of 2012 and will answer any questions I can.

Didn't know you were doing dual degree. Hooray for another person with time off between second and third year!

Going to assimilate some of the helpful stuff I saw skimming back through last year's thread

For all of you looking for timeline info

Turned in my AMCAS on June 16th
My AMCAS was processed on June 29th

Received my secondary app on June 25th
Turned in my secondary around July 15th

Received my interview invitation on Aug 23rd & interviewed on Sept 22nd!
Interview was really relaxed for all of you wondering so don't be nervous. Although, I did get a new interviewer (or so my student interviewer informed me) who asked me some unexpected tough questions like "If you had to go back and redo one mistake in your life what would it be?" and "If you had a terminally ill patient, how would you handle the situation?" and "What do you think is the hardest part about being a doctor?" My other interviews were more geared towards talking about myself (application, interests, family, etc).

Also during my interviews, the L1s were all frantic about their first block tests which were this week so the cadaver lab was like a zoo of frantic overachievers which was hilarious. I thought the simulation lab and facilities were awesome too.

Dr. Eubanks said they will do their first review of applicants on Oct. 8 and send out letters for Oct. 15th (including rejection, acceptance and "under active review" letters).

Hope this helps anyone looking for info! Good luck!

Also a few questions for any current students that I forgot to ask at my interview
1) What was the average USMLE Step 1 score for last year?
2) How much time do you spend rotating in Lafayette, Baton Rouge or elsewhere outside of NOLA?

My committee letter was sent to AMCAS on Wednesday morning, confirmed by AMCAS Thursday morning (they said over the phone that once AMCAS receives the letter it could take up to two days to change your AMCAS status and make it available to your choice schools), and received an interview invitation from LSU New Orleans Friday. I never got a "complete" email. The interview invite came late Friday afternoon, so I'll have to call on Monday to schedule a date and time.

For those that look for stats for comparison purposes: I'm not EDP, nor do I have exceptional stats (3.73 cummulative, 3.71 bcmp, 29-S MCAT, 30 year old active duty military).

Bottom line is you could find yourself looking at an interview invitation the day after your AMCAS letter status has been updated. It is very apparent they look at applications even before they are complete. At least this is the case in New Orleans. Chin up, keep on truckin!

I'm sure most of y'all have figured this out by now, but LSU doesn't really tell you that you are "complete." You kind of have to figure it out for yourself or call them on that one day per week that they take status inquiries. I should have stated this earlier.

By now this news doesn't matter for some people, but for those still waiting - good luck.

Interviewed on September 21, acceptance letter came in the mail on October 18 (they could not release acceptances until October 15 per AMCAS regs). The committee meets every three weeks, so you might have to wait a while for your letter. Next committee meeting is this Friday if I'm not mistaken. Hang in there it's a long process.

Congratulations to all the other accepted folks!

interviewed 9/22. received acceptance via snail mail on 10/19.

any other people know they are going to LSU-Nola? I'm at 99.9% certainty, and think it would be fun to meet up for a drink (with applicants or current med students or whoever reads this thing) or something in new orleans.

I was disappointed but the letter did say the majority of students receive their notification of acceptance after a subsquent review by the adcom. It said most of the final actions taken occur between the months of January and June. So it looks like I am playing the waiting game!

For my interview, we got there at I think about 8:30 AM (there were 6 interviewees, myself included), and everything started around 9:00 AM. There was a one-hour orientation / introduction / talk about the interview day and school at the beginning, and then we started a tour of the facilities with 3 med students. After the tour, we had lunch with the students, and then we continued with a tour of University Hospital's emergency room. They were more than willing to discuss anything to do with the interviews or school.

In the afternoon, there are 3 interviews. 1 is blind and the other 2 are open. I think they structure them so that your first interview is the blind one, but I'm not sure if that's the rule or if it's just that the only people with whom I've spoken have had their blind interviews first as well.

During the blind interview, I think my interviewer was trying to intimidate me... he asked me what I was smoking when I described a gap in my record... he told me I had a low self-esteem.... he said a lot of **** that might have been offensive. I laughed at him. I felt like a raving lunatic, but I just treated it like he was joking and laughed at him. It was the best way to cope, and it paid off cause I got in lol -

The other two interviews - where they had my grades, scores, personal statement, etc, in front of them - went really well because it was less about trying to throw me off track and more about discussing in depth the things I had done, and in a more round about way discussing what I valued. They really are looking for people who are a good fit with the students at LSU, and if you can identify that during the tour and be able to sell how you are a good fit, it'll help your case. I left feeling really good about the interviews.

Oh, also one thing I did to prepare was have a mock interview with some people who used these questions to do the interview:

www.colorado.edu/aac/PreMed_interviewquestions.pdf

Best of luck! :luck:

That should be interesting for you with your tour guides - both L1s and L2s have exams that day. Having 3rd years would be good for asking questions about rotations - the really important part.

Our class took out about $40k for this year - that's the full amount including cost of living. I'm not really sure what the exact amount was, even though I just got my loan check today. If you really want, just ask and I'll look up the exact amount.

The parental financial information doesn't determine how much loan money you get, it's to see if you're eligible for scholarships and grants from the school itself.

A lot of the class gets in around April.

Just got verified that the class is going to be 200 this year but that in 2012, the class will be expanding to 250 for an accelerated 3 year program for primary care that will be split into Lafayette!

In my interview on 2/6 Dr. Eubanks said the committee was meeting on Feb 26th. I took notes in his address and this is what I wrote down. However, the 26th is a Saturday so I don't think the date is correct. Perhaps Friday the Feb 25th makes more sense. But, on the other hand, Dr. Eubanks said that the committee meets the 3rd Friday of every month, so I am not sure what's going on, really.

To those of you who got in, is the acceptance letter snail-mailed, or is it e-mailed? I check my e-mail religiously!

:luck:

I finally got my interview! I am scheduled for March 16th. Anyone else interviewing then?

Is it safe to assume the ADCOM will be meeting March 18th since they met today?

My favorite things about Shreveport when I interviewed there were:

1.) Standardized patients that they recorded and you could go back watch (they don't do that in NOLA. Though 3rd or 4th year one of the NOLA interest group runs a thing for 3rd and 4th years to practice on standardized patients to prepare for STEP 2 CS)

2.) At the time, I liked that they video record and podcast their lectures. It was a plus before I was officially doing medschool. I wouldn't probably care as much now.

Shreveport and NOLA are pretty similar schools. The biggest differences TO ME after I interviewed is that they do systems based as opposed to traditional style and of course the cities are different (but I'm from North LA so I don't have this hate for Shreveport as a city). I'm not a huge Mac person, so that didn't sway me either way.

For me personally, my cons about Shreveport at the time were that I didn't like the fact that it's pretty much in the hospital, I never really saw any of the students around campus as we were touring, and I think the facilities are nicer in NOLA (due to Katrina mainly).

Either way, both are good schools.

My apartment is in an amazing location and has everything you could ask for except for a yard. The whole rent is $1500 and I pay $750 with 1 roommate. Energy runs on average about $110 or so (way cheaper in the winter) and cable/internet is $105 (but I have a lot of extras). I also know people that pay around $500-$600 for rent, so you can find places in all price ranges but you have to move quickly.

Food is usually up to you, but I spend about $115 or so on groceries per month. I do spend a fair bit on going out to eat and entertainment stuff, but that's what happens when you only see your SO on weekends and stuff.

Expenses tend to go up around test time because you are spending more on coffee and food while you're at school studying (unless you study at home).

That's all I can think of right now, let me know if you want info on something I may have left out.

I pay $875 /month for rent. I live by myself in a plantation home that's been converted into condo units in the Garden District. As far as living by yourself, I would say that unless you live on-campus, you'll probably pay around this much +/- $100. The major apartment complexes in NOLA cost more usually, but have more amenities, like pools and on-site gyms. Met and you are right about living with roommates. With roommates, you'll have many more options to rent from and you can get some really nice houses in decent areas for relatively cheap $500-600 /person. I like my privacy though, fwiw.

Utilities (Electricity, internet) run me around $100 /month. Groceries run about $100 /month. I eat out a good bit towards test time (cutting down on that this semester. Trying to anyway). Plus misc expenses like gas, entertainment, and pet stuff.

I don't pay for insurance (health nor car), don't pay for my cell phone bill, or car note. I would say if I had to pay for those, I would be finding a roommate quickly and cutting down on other things.

FWIW, be prepared to cover your first and second month's expenses pre-loan money. Loan money will come in at the end of August or later, and depends on when you have had all your financial information complete to them. I will definitely say that money was tighter in the first semester than it is so far in the second semester.

I'd recommend starting FAFSA now. In the end, I'm not really sure if it will matter, but I want to get it over with, and if there's any benefit to applying such as waivers that limited, I'd like to be applying before others.

From what I understand, a student need not necessarily be admitted to do FAFSA, so people waiting may also want to start their applications.

I called housing a few weeks ago and they told me the following:

Residence hall has unfurnished apartments with a kitchen, living area, 2 bedrooms, and a full bathroom. From what I gathered, Stan Hall doesn't have this. I wanted something bigger than a dorm room. The lady did say that you are only allowed to use a stove or oven in Residence Hall and not in Stan.. Hall because Stan... Hall is considered old/historic or something of that nature, I don't exactly remember. The two bed apartment is 7 something a month and would be 3 something a month per person, which seems like a good deal.

However, I have not toured either one, so I don't exactly know what they look like or what kind of condition they are in. I just like the fact that I would be very close to class (more sleep in the AM) and I think my car would be somewhat safe in the parking garage. But yea, I do need to tour both halls to get a better idea of what the living conditions are like.

I am putting this on my agenda:cool:

I am a third year, but I imagine it is still Moore and Dalley's Clinically Oriented Anatomy for the text, Netters or Grant for the Atlas, and I cannot remember the name of the dissecting book. The text is pretty awesome, and I still use it all the time for random crap.

Congrats to all those who are accepted, good luck to those still waiting. I highly recommend Camp Tiger for all you Pre-L1s, it's a blast and you meet a lot of your classmates and the people in the class ahead of you.

It is still Moore's Clinical Anatomy. For lab you'll use a dissector (Grant's) and you'll use an atlas (netter's, rohen, or gilroy, all of these being the most popular). I preferred gilroy fwiw. I also used brs anatomy.

I would hold off buying most of your books, except for maybe the atlas and maybe the dissector. You may get the rest from your big buddy.

Definitely hold off buying your books. If your big buddy is worth anything they'll give you all the books they have plus other stuff. Saved me a lot of money.

2011 Match List - I figured y'all might be interested

East Jefferson Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Emergency Medicine
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Medical University of SC Medicine-Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Med/Rural-Bogalusa
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Emergency Medicine
U Texas Med Sch-Houston Internal Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA General Surgery
UCLA Medical Center-CA Emergency Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Emergency Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Pediatrics/Dallas
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Designated
Rush University Med Ctr-IL General Surgery
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Medicine-Preliminary
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Psychiatry
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Anesthesiology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Anesthesiology
U Arkansas-Little Rock Orthopaedic Surgery
U Colorado SOM-Denver Pediatrics
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Internal Medicine
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Pathology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Dermatology
Morehouse SOM-Atlanta-GAPediatrics
Exempla St Joseph Hosp-CO Medicine-Preliminary
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Internal Medicine
U South Ala SOM Mobile-AlSurg-Prelim/Non-Desig
Palmetto Health Richland-SC Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Family Medicine
Childrens Hospital-Oakland-CA Pediatrics
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM General Surgery
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Internal Medicine
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pediatrics
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr-AZ Internal Medicine
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Anesthesiology
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Orthopaedic Surgery
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Obstetrics and Gynecology
Halifax Med Ctr-FL Family Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Family Med/Swedish Med
LSUHSC Lake Charles-LA Family Medicine
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Surgery-Preliminary
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Pediatrics
University of Virginia Internal Medicine
University Hosps-Jackson-MS Otolaryngology
U Washington Affil Hosps Surg-Prelim/Urology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
U South Alabama Hospitals Internal Medicine
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Emergency Medicine
U Arkansas-Little Rock Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Family Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Pediatrics
U Mass SOM-Worcester-MASurg-Prelim/Non-Desig
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Emergency Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Anesthesiology
U Colorado SOM-Denver Internal Medicine
Baylor U Med Ctr-Dallas-TX Obstetrics-Gynecology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Anesthesiology
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Internal Medicine
Emory Univ SOM-GA Orthopaedic Surgery
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Internal Medicine
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Rad-Diag/U of TN Meth Hosp
Emory Univ SOM-GA Transitional/Anesthesiology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Phys Medicine & Rehab Univ
Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Phys Medicine & Rehab
LSU SOM-Shreveport-LA Surgery-Preliminary
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Orthopaedic Surgery
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Internal Medicine
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Medical University of SC Surgery-Preliminary
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Neurology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Radiology-Diagnostic
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Otolaryngology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Pathology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA Pediatrics
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Anesthesiology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Ortho Surg/Harvard Combined
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pediatrics
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Internal Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Obstetrics-Gynecology/Dallas
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Internal Medicine
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Dermatology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Anesthesiology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Otolaryngology
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA Pediatrics
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pathology
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Neurology
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Medicine-Preliminary
Brooke Army Med Ctr Ft. Sam Houston TXTransitional Year
U Arkansas-Little Rock Pediatrics
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Otolaryngology
U Texas HSC-San Antonio Surgery-Preliminary
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Neurology
Hosp of the Univ of PA Psychiatry
U South Florida COM-Tampa Medicine-Pediatrics

I just recently had my interview a few weeks ago and this is what Dr. Eubanks told us..

- All spots must be offered by April 1st
- They will not decide a wait list until right before May 15th
- You can hold as many spots as you want until May 15th
- They met this past Friday and will mail out acceptance letters Tuesday and no further action letters Wednesday of this week. This mail out will be their biggest acceptance mail out bc they have to offer the rest of their spots (about half)

These dates don't exactly match yalls. But this is the info I got.

Hope this helps

I know it's late but I just got an interview for April 13! Anyone else?:)

Has anyone gotten accepted or interviewed who didn't use a committee letter, and just got letters from 3+ professors?

Is it game changing if you don't use the committee (as in, the difference between an interview / no interview or acceptance / rejection)?

I wasn't eligible for committee, and that doesn't seem to have been a problem.

Ok guys, I just called admissions. I interviewed on Feb 14. She said they won't send a letter every time they meet and that I should get a letter in May. So I'm pretty sure that that means that it will either be a wait list letter or an acceptance letter. Hope that helps for all of you in my same situation. :xf::)

I understand your point and I am not sure of how this works too much either. My only confusion comes in because they are giving out interviews all the way up until April 23. It is only April 5, so They could not have issued all their spots yet before they have even finished interviewing candidates. They could but that means that they are interviewing people just to put them on the waiting list, maybe. I'm not sure. If any of you guys are interviewing soon let us know what Dr. Eubanks says, Please feel free to ask him. I wish I would have asked him more in my interview. I feel pretty clear but it is April and I am getting very anxious :whistle:

Below is my understanding from my own experience of previously going through the repeated NFA letters and wait list process, and I hope others correct me where I am wrong.

1) My understanding is that by some date, all spots are "offered;" there's been debate here in thread over that date, but I believe most have said March. Even though all spots are offered, some offered spots decline and spots open so acceptance letters continue to roll out until...

2) At some point all spots are accepted, this may be in March or April, I think it varies annually. Even though all spots are accepted, interviews continue because spots will open up after May 1 and people holding multiple spots decline LSUNO.

3) In May, the wait list is made from small advocate groups nominating to the larger committee those they selected to wait list. The larger committee orders numerically. Those not put on wait list are asked to apply again.

4) Then, the number of spots that opened after May 1 is used. If 40 spots are open, the first 40 on wait list automatically get acceptance letters and the rest on wait list are given a letter to tell them that they are on wait list.

5) As spots continue to open from students who have accepted spots to LSUNO but were subsequently accepted into other schools off wait lists and decline LSUNO, the wait list is used to fill these newly opened spots. As summer progresses, the bottom of the wait list is trimmed as it becomes less likely spots open. Along the way, it is recommended to meet with Dr. Eubanks to go over your application to see where to make improvements, but Dr. Eubanks says its not unusual for him to have a meeting with a student and then the student is accepted off the wait list the following week.

So here on April 5, there's still a lot of action and many spots are going to be opening up.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether its better to live off campus or on campus?

On-campus:
Pros: Cheaper. Close to campus. School gym facilities are close-by.
Cons: Smaller. Nothing in the immediate area to do. There's only a subway and chinese restaurant. Residence Hall (apartments) has stoves but is older. Stanislaus (dorms) has no stove.

Off-campus:
Pros: Can choose an area with things nearby to do. usually better renovated and bigger. Can choose a place that allows pets.
Cons: Can be more expensive . Commute varies. You have utilities you have to pay for. Not many apartment complexes (there are some), so can be some footwork to find a place.

Those are the basics. Know a few people who live on campus who are continuing to living on campus and others who are moving off-campus for next year.

I'll be going to LSU because of finances, the ~35k / year difference is huge, and if you're wanting to stay in New Orleans long term, the LSU name is equally respected locally. Tulane name sometimes carries more nationally, BUT medicine is different, we're all learning the same thing and taking the same boards so we're judged same in the end. I've also heard LSU students are doing better on board exams, so better results + better prices was enough to swing me to LSU.

Tulane does have some things in its favor. My impression is that Tulane has a more laid back atmoshere and it is more difficult to fail out than it is at LSU. Tulane has also done an excellent job with the community and student service learning, and they received an award from AAMC for community service efforts. The public health program is very strong and has a name that may carries internationally. I'm graduating from the SPHTM in May and may be able to help with any questions about that aspect.

But LSU also has its own public health program and community service programs. LSU may not be winning the awards and garnering the same national recognition for both, but the opportunities are there.

I know met posted a match list earlier in the thread. But this one's updated and takes out the preliminary years (plus the other list actually left off many of the PGY-2 matches). Plus, I took the time to sort it, so you better enjoy it.

By the Numbers:
Anesthesiology: 16
Dermatology: 5
Emergency Med: 9
General Surgery: 5
Surgery: 12
-Urology:2
-Oralmaxillofacial Surgery: 3
Family Medicine: 18
Internal Medicine: 38
Med-Peds: 3
Neurology: 3
OB/GYN: 8
Opthalmology: 5
Orthopaedic Surgery: 8
Otolaryngology: 4
Pathology: 4
Pediatrics: 16
PM&R: 2
Pyschiatry: 7
Radiology: 8
-Diagnostic 6
-Onc 2

Anesthesiology
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Anesthesiology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Anesthesiology
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Anesthesiology
Emory Univ SOM-GA Anesthesiology
Emory Univ SOM-GA Anesthesiology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Anesthesiology
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Anesthesiology
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Anesthesiology

Dermatology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Dermatology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Dermatology
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Dermatology

Emergency Medicine
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Emergency Medicine
UCLA Medical Center-CA Emergency Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Emergency Medicine
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Emergency Medicine

Family Medicine
Halifax Med Ctr-FL Family Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Family Med/Swedish Med
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Family Medicine
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine

General Surgery
Rush University Med Ctr-IL General Surgery
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM General Surgery

Surgery
-LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-U South Ala SOM Mobile-Al Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Surgery-Preliminary
-LSU SOM-Shreveport-LA Surgery-Preliminary
-Medical University of SC Surgery-Preliminary
-Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-U Mass SOM-Worcester-MA Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Designated - Oromaxillofacial Surgery
-U Washington Affil Hosps Surg-Prelim/Urology
-U Texas HSC-San Antonio Surgery-Preliminary/ Urology

Internal Medicine
U Texas Med Sch-Houston Internal Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ct-LA Internal Medicine
Palmetto Health Richland-SC Internal Medicine
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr-AZ Internal Medicine
University of Virginia Internal Medicine
U South Alabama Hospitals Internal Medicine
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Internal Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Internal Medicine
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Internal Medicine
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Internal Medicine
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Internal Medicine
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Internal Medicine

Medicine-Pediatrics
Medical University of SC Medicine-Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Pediatrics
U South Florida COM-Tampa Medicine-Pediatrics

Neurology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Neurology
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Neurology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Neurology

OB-GYN
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Obstetrics and Gynecology
U Arkansas-Little Rock Obstetrics-Gynecology
Baylor U Med Ctr-Dallas-TX Obstetrics-Gynecology
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Obstetrics-Gynecology/Dallas

Orthopaedic Surgery
U Arkansas-Little Rock Orthopaedic Surgery
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Orthopaedic Surgery
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
Emory Univ SOM-GA Orthopaedic Surgery
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Orthopaedic Surgery
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Ortho Surg/Harvard Combined

Ophthalmology
U Texas SOM San Antonio-TX Ophthalmology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas*Ophthalmology
St. Louis University St. Louis-MO Ophthalmology
Brooke Army Med Ctr-Ft Sam Houston-TX Ophthalmology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*Ophthalmology

Otolaryngology
University Hosps-Jackson-MS Otolaryngology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Otolaryngology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Otolaryngology
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Otolaryngology

Pathology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Pathology
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pathology

Pediatrics
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas* Pediatrics/Dallas*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* Pediatrics*
U Colorado SOM-Denver* Pediatrics*
Morehouse SOM-Atlanta-GA Pediatrics*
Childrens Hospital-Oakland-CA* Pediatrics*
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN* Pediatrics*
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD* Pediatrics*
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA* Pediatrics*
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN* Pediatrics*
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA* Pediatrics*
U Arkansas-Little Rock* Pediatrics*

PM&R

Psychiatry
Hosp of the Univ of PA Psychiatry

Radiology
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Rad-Diag/U of TN Meth Hosp
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Radiology-Diagnostic
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Radiology-Diagnostic
Emory Univ SOM-GA*- Radiology - Diagnostic
Baptist Mem Hosp-TN Radiology- Diagnostic
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Radiology - Diagnostic
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham*- Rad-Onc
U Texas HSC-San Antonio* - Rad-Onc

April 13 was the last interview date. -_- still waiting.. good luck guys!

Wow, great question and I have all the answers because I did it. I was impatient and chose to try and do the direct route. DON'T GO TO A CARIBBEAN MEDICAL SCHOOL! I have 100k debt just from that school alone. It's a waste of money, you can graduate from there and practice but specialities are hard to get amongst other problems with that whole system. It is cheaper to stay here and go to a US medical school. I planed to graduate from there but I chose to come back because tuition is high in caribbean med schools and LSU is cheaper and the curriculum is better. I may want do specialities and will have an uphill battle doing that with a foreign medical degree. Living on an island is very expensive. Your teacher's are legit, I had professors from John's Hopkins, Yale, etc. It's not the best because you professors leave the island before you take your block exams, so any questions you have for them you have to e-mail them. If you have any more question's in box me. I am a New Orleans native and live 5 mins from LSU new orleans. LSU is just a better school in general.

I got my ACCEPTANCE letter in the mail today!!!! Finally! I am soo excited!!!

Just curious, what is the post marked date on the letter?

Yesterday 5-10-11

I just received a letter placing me on the waitlist so the waiting continues for me... Just in case anyone was curious I received the letter on Friday (05-13-11), post marked 05-12-11.

CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED!! :thumbup:

Rejection letters went out last year around 5/15.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/lsu-no/survey/26 - LSU interview feedback

Attached is a living guide for new orleans

I'm currently doing combined MD/MPH, so I'd be happy to answer any questions about that for anyone interested.

For housing, Stanislaus is individual bedrooms, shared (with one other person) bathroom, and community kitchen area. Residence hall is one and two bedroom apartments with individual bathrooms and either an individual or shared kitchen (depending on one or two bedroom apartment). To get on the waiting list for one bedroom apartments in residence hall, you need to live in other on campus housing for 6 months, applying to get on the waiting list at the start of that living period (nothing about that is online). I'm planning to live off campus, fwiw

Attachments

• Scoop-Neighborhood-Guide-1.docx
    86.9 KB · Views: 84
I'm sure loveoforganic will be a great resource to y'all, especially with the application stuff since he just went through with that.

I actually wish I could help more, but to be honest I've forgotten almost everything about the application process.

If you have questions about school and anything relating to that, I'm totally there. I also like to give a lot of interview tours when I can, so some of you might end up seeing me there.

Is this the first year LSU-New Orleans is requiring three letters from science professors? They said they won't consider your application until EVERY item required for the secondary is turned in. I'm not a science major and getting a third science letter might be difficult. I have two science and two non-science letters, any chance I can call them and they'll work with me?

And yes, I know its three science letters or a committee letter, but I didn't take the MCAT early enough to meet my committee's requirement.

Is this the first year LSU-New Orleans is requiring three letters from science professors? They said they won't consider your application until EVERY item required for the secondary is turned in. I'm not a science major and getting a third science letter might be difficult. I have two science and two non-science letters, any chance I can call them and they'll work with me?

And yes, I know its three science letters or a committee letter, but I didn't take the MCAT early enough to meet my committee's requirement.

I think the three letters rule has been SOP for a while. As for submitting less than 3, you should ask them...but everything I've heard is that they don't make exceptions on the letters. Who knows though--it's true for so many things in this process: don't rely on rumors, ask the people in charge.

Didn't know you were doing dual degree. Hooray for another person with time off between second and third year!

yeah, I'll get just enough time off to forget that ever started medical school and that I'll be going back.. lol

congrats on the MD/MPH program.. are you taking classes this summer then? Is there research involved?

I'd be happy to answer any questions about either MD or MD/PhD application processes!

I read in the previous year forum that LSU has accepted people with a low verbal score (6) from what I saw. I took the MCAT twice, one time 11 9 9 (PVB) and the second time (May 21) 12 6 10 (PVB). I know I am not a 6 and it has to have been a fluke but at this point I have already turned in the secondary for LSU and my advisor told me to give it a shot. What does LSU do with multiple scores? Will they see me as a 9 or 6 or will they not even know what I am?

LSU-NO looks at your most recent score.. McCluggage told me last year that the cut-off score for each section is 7. They'll see all of your scores, but he emphasized how they only look at the lastest score. If you retake, improve & update them, they'll reconsider your application... you just need to let them know that you're planning on taking the MCAT again.

i am a little confused as i see in previous forums that there are people who have been accepted with 6 in verbal before and I mean they should still see that I scored a 9 before.

for that matter i have been screened into schools like wake and vcu so i feel that they must have at least looked past the 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.