2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes, they interview thru mid april

Members don't see this ad.

Any more commentary/input on the prematriculation program? As I understand, it really doesnt allow one to get ahead material wise?

Chill. I mean, I want to do it, but honestly whatever app essay I write is just gonna sound gunnerish, because I seriously want to start school already!

The point is to give you a taste of what med school is actually like. You take a week of classes and they test you on that week's worth of material. If you bomb horribly then they will give you some study tips. One week out of four years isn't gonna make a difference.

If there is any credible source that knows when they start interviewing out of state candidates?????

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got ACCEPTED yesterday!! Uber-ecstatic!! God is great.

Interviewed on 12/05, NFA on 12/21, Accepted 02/29.:soexcited:
Congratulations!! God is indeed good. Interviewed recently, hoping to hear something after the 3/9 committee meeting!

Interview is tomorrow, anyone have any last minute tips on what I can do? I've been reviewing and running through 40-50 common questions people seem to get during the interviews and already laid out outfit. Just wondering if anyone had any "questions to ask them"? I'm going through the lsu website right now.

Interview is tomorrow, anyone have any last minute tips on what I can do? I've been reviewing and running through 40-50 common questions people seem to get during the interviews and already laid out outfit. Just wondering if anyone had any "questions to ask them"? I'm going through the lsu website right now.

Know how to articulate what "professionalism" means to you. I had more than one interviewer ask me this here. Also, depending on who you get, there may be an ethical question or two (this was the only school where I received these sorts of questions). As for "questions to ask," just ask what you are genuinely curious about and what you are looking for in a school - LSU has a lot of unique characteristics/opportunities in terms of technology and hands-on learning especially.

Know how to articulate what "professionalism" means to you. I had more than one interviewer ask me this here. Also, depending on who you get, there may be an ethical question or two (this was the only school where I received these sorts of questions). As for "questions to ask," just ask what you are genuinely curious about and what you are looking for in a school - LSU has a lot of unique characteristics/opportunities in terms of technology and hands-on learning especially.

This. I got asked to define "professionalism" and why it's important for a physician by ALL THREE of my interviewers. Needless to say, my answer got better each time!

Ditto on professionalism. Obviously be able to clearly articulate on any versions of the "why medicine" question. If you get interviewed by a 4th year student, they will have interesting insight on all aspects of student life, rotations, etc. Don't be nervous! The whole day was actually really enjoyable. My interviewers were relaxed and conversational. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Good luck!

wow - I never got the professionalism questions - probably because I'm older. But, I did the medical ethics questions. And they're not easy questions to answer. They actually are questions that doctors struggle with so there's no right/wrong answer (other than the extreme ridculous answer of course lol). Just have thoughtful opinions on these and I think you'll be fine.

Anyone know when letter are going out this week?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
letters get sent out at the end of this week so they'll arrive next week.

Agree with the other posts about 'professionalism' - I found that difficult to articulate.

As to the chance to ask your own questions, if all else fails, you can incorporate whatever you know about the interviewer - one of my interviewers had a name tag identifying him as an orthopedic surgeon, so I oh-so-casually mentioned that Hippocrates once said that war is the only true school of the surgeon, and I asked him if he felt that football is the true school of the orthopedic. Turns out he's the Saints' team ortho. :laugh: :luck:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Does anyone know when they will stop sending interview invites?

NFA and i have to say i'm shocked and confused...

What went wrong with the interview if you don't mind me asking?

feb 13th, i applied really late, i'm just going to assume I got rejected...

I thought my specs were good enough to get in, 32Q 3.7 from top 20 univ and ok ECs.
altho I have to admit I botched the interview... this is depressing how interview can overshadow 4 years of work.

I wouldn't give up hope yet by any means, but every mentor I had (and I'm including a program director at University here) agreed that applying early is by far the single biggest factor for any app. It's the only reason you had to wait until February with those stats. Don't ask for a deeper explanation because I have none, they just look very favorably on day one apps.

To reiterate, though, next month is what you should be waiting for. There are still many open spots.

I wouldn't give up hope yet by any means, but every mentor I had (and I'm including a program director at University here) agreed that applying early is by far the single biggest factor for any app. It's the only reason you had to wait until February with those stats. Don't ask for a deeper explanation because I have none, they just look very favorably on day one apps.

To reiterate, though, next month is what you should be waiting for. There are still many open spots.

Yep. NFA sucks. But don't be disappointed yet. Your stats are very competitive at LSU.

Does anyone know the last week interview invitations are sent out ? From what I understand, New Orleans interviews through mid-April but I am wondering when these interviews are sent out.

Thank you for replying..I just got my mail today too and was not expecting to be accepted!!!

OOS, sGPA 3.99, cGPA 3.98, 34M Mcat

To those of you who have been accepted, did you receive any info about background checks and drug screens? LSU-S lays it all out on the website; should I assume it's the same?

I'm curious because of the address issue and where they'd send you to take it. Shreveport was clear to update your current address for this reason, and I was wondering if I should do the same for New Orleans. (I'd been using my parents address up until this point)

Last edited:
Probably got some stiff competition for those 40 (or less) spots.

To those of you who have been accepted, did you receive any info about background checks and drug screens? LSU-S lays it all out on the website; should I assume it's the same?

I'm curious because of the address issue and where they'd send you to take it. Shreveport was clear to update your current address for this reason, and I was wondering if I should do the same for New Orleans. (I'd been using my parents address up until this point)

No drug screen for LSU-NO. They'll do the background check through AMCAS with Certiphi.

I applied in September got NFA in October and nothing since. Not really sure what's going on with that. Any sort of news from the com would be great

Hey guys. I applied really late (like a week before the deadline). I still haven't received any invite or response from LSU. Do you guys think they stopped giving interview invites? :(

Hey guys. I applied really late (like a week before the deadline). I still haven't received any invite or response from LSU. Do you guys think they stopped giving interview invites? :(

I'm wondering the same thing, sent my secondary out in late Oct.

got NFA letter....blah...anyone know when the committee meets again?

Any current fourth years? How was match day?!

eubanks said commitee meets on the 30th of march to fill in 200 total acceptances, he said expect about 200 for the upcoming class, a total of 250 or so acceptances at the end of it all because 50 or so will decline.

I did pretty well I hope, shreveport offered me an interview, so off to there next!

got NFA letter....blah...anyone know when the committee meets again?

April 20 is the big shebang. Until then they're NFAing probably 90% of interviewees.

edit: Or March 30. April is a different deadline.

Last edited:
Complete mid-December, interviewed late February. NFA letter earlier this week. (3.6ish, 30R, great ECs, good letters)

Any current fourth years? How was match day?!

Seemed like a good match. Everyone I talked to got their first picks for the most part. I haven't seen a breakdown by specialty or anything.

so on March 30, will the AdCom decide on the recent interviewees and all the NFAers from this season?

so on March 30, will the AdCom decide on the recent interviewees and all the NFAers from this season?

They will send out X number of acceptances to bring the total to ~250. This is the biggest single day of the season. Recent interviewees can still be NFA'd though. After April 15, applicants have to commit and so ideally they will end up with <200 spots filled. At this point they accept a few more, and everyone else is waitlisted or rejected.

Tl;dr you should hope to hear something in early April otherwise the news is less likely to be good.

Could any 1st or 2nd year students provide me with an idea of what your class/exam schedules were like? Also, will podcasts be adopted for the class of 2016?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.