2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone link to LSU's 2012 match list?

Thanks.

They haven't sent anything out to the rest of the school that I'm aware of. If the list gets sent out, I'll post it here.

Could any 1st or 2nd year students provide me with an idea of what your class/exam schedules were like? Also, will podcasts be adopted for the class of 2016?

Thanks!

I'll let one of the 1st years chime in on their schedule, since first year seems like a blur.

2nd year

Fall - Micro, Immuno, Parasitology (MIP), Pathology, SPM
Start in July, split into 3 blocks. Class on most days is 8-12 pm. Though there will be days at a time where you'll have MIP in the afternoon after Path (1-4or 5). SPM will have the occasional required class or clinical forums and skills lab. Path and MIP classes are not required, but they are incentivized with bonus points for attendance checks or clicker questions.

Spring - Pharmacology, Clinical Pathology, Psychiatry, Dermatology, SPM
Split into 3 blocks. 8-12pm classes. SPM will be your only afternoon classes when you have them. You'll still have clinical forums and skills lab. Derm has mandatory attendance (only meets once a week). SPM has some required lectures. The others aren't required, but Psych and Pharmacology have bonus attendance checks.

Podcasting should be started next year.

Members don't see this ad.

i called admissions this morning and the lady seemed to say that all the nfa's would be decided at a meeting either on april 16 or 23? does that mean the march 30 deadline is meaningless to us nfas?

Can anyone link to LSU's 2012 match list?

Thanks.

Anesthesiology*
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL*
Loma Linda University-CA*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x2)
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA* (x3)
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham*
U Arkansas-Little Rock* (x2)
U Southern California*
U Texas Southwestern * (x3)
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL*
Univ of MO-KC Programs*
University of Virginia*

Child Neurology*
U Arkansas-Little Rock*

Dermatology*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x3)
U Illinois COM-Chicago*

Emergency Medicine*
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA* (x3)
U Texas Med Sch-Houston*
U Florida COM-Jacksonville*
U Utah Affil Hospitals*

Family Medicine*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*
LSUHSC Lake Charles-LA* (x5)
Texas A&M-Bryan*
U Mississippi Jackson-LA*
East Jefferson Gen Hosp-LA*
St Marys Hospital-CO*
Rapides Reg Med Ctr-LA*
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA*
Cambridge Health Alliance-MA*

General Surgery*
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA*
Oregon Health & Science Univ*
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech *
LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA*

Internal Medicine*
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA* (x12)
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x9)
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD*
U Alabama Med Ctr-Montgomery*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA*
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham* (x2)
Methodist Health System - Dallas*
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD*
Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC*
U Texas Southwestern*
U Washington Affil Hosps*

Medicine-Neurology*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*

Medicine-Pediatrics*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*

Neurological Surgery*
U Texas Med Sch-Houston*
U Colorado SOM-Denver*

Neurology*
Rush University Med Ctr-IL*

Obstetrics-Gynecology*
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*
Brown U*
U Tennessee COM-Memphis*
Case Western*

Ophthamology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x4)
Medical College of Virginia
U Oklahoma COM-OK City*

Orthopaedic Surgery *
William Beaumont Army Med
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA* (x2)
U Texas HSC-San Antonio*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*

Otolaryngology*
Ohio State University Med Ctr*
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA*

Pathology*
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN*
Methodist Hospital-Houston-TX*

Pediatrics*
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x6)
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC*
U Texas Southwestern*

Phys Medicine & Rehab*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*

Psychiatry*
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*
U Maryland Med Ctr*

Radiation-Oncology*
U Iowa Hosps and Clinics*

Radiology-Diagnostic*
LSUHSC Shreveport-LA*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*

Thoracic Surgery*
Medical University of SC*
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY*

Vascular Surgery*
U Arkansas-Little Rock*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesiology*
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL*
Loma Linda University-CA*
U Southern California*
U Texas Southwestern * (x3)
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL*
Univ of MO-KC Programs*
University of Virginia*

Child Neurology*
U Arkansas-Little Rock*

Dermatology*
U Illinois COM-Chicago*

Emergency Medicine*
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA* (x3)
U Texas Med Sch-Houston*
U Florida COM-Jacksonville*
U Utah Affil Hospitals*

Family Medicine*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*
LSUHSC Lake Charles-LA* (x5)
Texas A&M-Bryan*
U Mississippi Jackson-LA*
East Jefferson Gen Hosp-LA*
St Marys Hospital-CO*
Rapides Reg Med Ctr-LA*
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA*
Cambridge Health Alliance-MA*

General Surgery*
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech *
LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA*

Internal Medicine*
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA* (x12)
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x9)
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD*
U Alabama Med Ctr-Montgomery*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA*
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham* (x2)
Methodist Health System - Dallas*
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD*
Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC*
U Texas Southwestern*
U Washington Affil Hosps*

Medicine-Neurology*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*

Medicine-Pediatrics*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*

Neurological Surgery*
U Texas Med Sch-Houston*
U Colorado SOM-Denver*

Neurology*
Rush University Med Ctr-IL*

Obstetrics-Gynecology*
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*
Brown U*
U Tennessee COM-Memphis*
Case Western*

Ophthamology
Medical College of Virginia
U Oklahoma COM-OK City*

Orthopaedic Surgery *
William Beaumont Army Med
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA* (x2)
U Texas HSC-San Antonio*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*

Otolaryngology*
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA*

Pathology*
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN*
Methodist Hospital-Houston-TX*

Pediatrics*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* (x6)
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC*
U Texas Southwestern*

Phys Medicine & Rehab*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*

Psychiatry*
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY*
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*
U Maryland Med Ctr*

Radiation-Oncology*
U Iowa Hosps and Clinics*

Radiology-Diagnostic*
LSUHSC Shreveport-LA*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*

Thoracic Surgery*
Medical University of SC*
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY*

Vascular Surgery*
U Arkansas-Little Rock*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA*

Awesome. Thanks.

Shouldn't there be another set of letters be going out soon? I'm thinking because of committee meetings every 3rd week of the month and the upcoming March 30th deadline to offer all spots, there should be another group of letters going out. My last NFA was dated Feb 20th and I received it around the end of Feb. Been NFA'd twice and waitlisted in Shreveport, trying to keep my hopes up.Good luck everyone, and if anyone knows any specific details, let us in the know! :thumbup::thumbup:

Shouldn't there be another set of letters be going out soon? I'm thinking because of committee meetings every 3rd week of the month and the upcoming March 30th deadline to offer all spots, there should be another group of letters going out. My last NFA was dated Feb 20th and I received it around the end of Feb. Been NFA'd twice and waitlisted in Shreveport, trying to keep my hopes up.Good luck everyone, and if anyone knows any specific details, let us in the know! :thumbup::thumbup:

Meeting on the 30th, and letters go out the week after.

They haven't sent anything out to the rest of the school that I'm aware of. If the list gets sent out, I'll post it here.

I'll let one of the 1st years chime in on their schedule, since first year seems like a blur.

2nd year

Fall - Micro, Immuno, Parasitology (MIP), Pathology, SPM
Start in July, split into 3 blocks. Class on most days is 8-12 pm. Though there will be days at a time where you'll have MIP in the afternoon after Path (1-4or 5). SPM will have the occasional required class or clinical forums and skills lab. Path and MIP classes are not required, but they are incentivized with bonus points for attendance checks or clicker questions.

Spring - Pharmacology, Clinical Pathology, Psychiatry, Dermatology, SPM
Split into 3 blocks. 8-12pm classes. SPM will be your only afternoon classes when you have them. You'll still have clinical forums and skills lab. Derm has mandatory attendance (only meets once a week). SPM has some required lectures. The others aren't required, but Psych and Pharmacology have bonus attendance checks.

Podcasting should be started next year.

1st year:

1st semester: Anatomy & Embryo, Histo, SPM, split into 3 blocks

Class from 8-12 unless there's an SPM day (not super frequent, say every other week to every 3 weeks). A lot of that 'class' time is dissecting time. No attendance policy, except mandatory anatomy lab and SPM.

2nd semester: Neuro, Physio, Biochem, SPM, split into 4 blocks + shelves

Class from 8-12 everyday (actual class, with very rare neuro labs). Pretty frequent post normal class required attendance for SPM and phys labs. Required attendance for neuro (may change next year), but not for other classes.

Ah ok - there are multiple. Some schools do basic science shelves - they exist for anatomy, biochem, etc. (We only take them for neuro, physio, biochem/genetics). Pretty much all, as far as I'm aware, do shelves for clinical rotations (may be a requirement of school certification?) Could be off base on that though

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah ok - there are multiple. Some schools do basic science shelves - they exist for anatomy, biochem, etc. (We only take them for neuro, physio, biochem/genetics).

The ones you mentioned (neuro, physio, biochem). Plus you'll take the Microbiology w/ Immunology module and the Pharmacology nbme shelf exams as well.

The school also makes you take a full NBME self-assessment test that you have to pass before you take your USMLE STEP 1. They want to make sure you are prepared for the step.

And yeah, you take shelf exams as part of every core rotation.

Just got off the phone with admissions, all interview invites have been issued. Those without an invite are rejected.

Sorry to all those left out this year, and good luck to those who are still being dangled.

Anybody going to the"Second Visit" Day today??

Hope everybody enjoyed the second look day! There were only about 10 of us for around 200 people so it was kind of difficult to do this. Especially when the tour groups didn't break down evenly and some tour guides were stuck with 30 people.

This was the first time LSU-NO ever did this, so I hope this will continue to get better and more helpful to anyone trying to make a decision.

I did not hear about this event, when did they announce it?

So it seems like there should be a whoooooole lot of letters arriving in the next 3 days? :luck:

So it seems like there should be a whoooooole lot of letters arriving in the next 3 days? :luck:

I dont believe so, I spoke the admissions office the other week, and they said they were not going to meet again until may. I don't where the March 30th thing came from, but it looks like were gonna have to keep hanging on a little longer

I dont believe so, I spoke the admissions office the other week, and they said they were not going to meet again until may. I don't where the March 30th thing came from, but it looks like were gonna have to keep hanging on a little longer

The committee definitely met on March 30th. They said at the second look that they had just finished a committee meeting. I don't know if that means they're planning on sending out letters, though.

in a recent conversation,i was told that those who have been NFAed, and at least in my particular case NFA'd during early March, will receive an update of their new status in mid April. So I wouldn't expect anything in the mail this week if you have been NFA'd. If you interviewed these past three weeks however, I bet you will receive an update this week which will most probably be more NFA's.

How many spots do you guys think are still waiting to be filled?

Was the second look day only for accepted applicants? As in, no NFAs?

I'm fairly certain the second look tour was only for accepted applicants. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but if around 200 students attended, the amount of spots remaining must be relatively low. Of course not every student accepted attended, especially when you take OOS applicants into account. So, just estimating, there can't be too many open spots remaining.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm fairly certain the second look tour was only for accepted applicants. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but if around 200 students attended, the amount of spots remaining must be relatively low. Of course not every student accepted attended, especially when you take OOS applicants into account. So, just estimating, there can't be too many open spots remaining.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure that 200 figure included parents, signifant-others, siblings, children, other hangers-on and general riffraff, etc.

I also got NFA'd. Interview in mid October, NFA'd in early November and February. I was accepted to Shreveport in November. To and to the stress, I'm getting married in 3 months and my fiancee can't move to Shreveport because of his job :( so I'm really really hoping for good news in this next letter! Any other students/applicants have this problem?

A few weeks ago someone in admissions said the committee was meeting March 30th so I believe that date is correct.

Someone please tell me this isn't so...

I'm pretty sure that 200 figure included parents, signifant-others, siblings, children, other hangers-on and general riffraff, etc.

It was accepted students, their families, and significant others.

I also got NFA'd. Interview in mid October, NFA'd in early November and February. I was accepted to Shreveport in November. To and to the stress, I'm getting married in 3 months and my fiancee can't move to Shreveport because of his job :( so I'm really really hoping for good news in this next letter! Any other students/applicants have this problem?

A few weeks ago someone in admissions said the committee was meeting March 30th so I believe that date is correct.

I believe the admissions committee did meet on the 30th, but only to review those who had recently interviewed, i.e. those who had not been reviewed in February. The last person I spoke with in the admissions office told me that the next review for those NFA'd in February would be May, but hey, at least ur in somewhere...there are a lot of us out here still waiting on that first acceptance

in a recent conversation,i was told that those who have been NFAed, and at least in my particular case NFA'd during early March, will receive an update of their new status in mid April. So I wouldn't expect anything in the mail this week if you have been NFA'd. If you interviewed these past three weeks however, I bet you will receive an update this week which will most probably be more NFA's.

So, anyone who had been NFA'd had no shot at a spot on the March 30th deadline when all spots needed to be offered?

I believe the admissions committee did meet on the 30th, but only to review those who had recently interviewed, i.e. those who had not been reviewed in February. The last person I spoke with in the admissions office told me that the next review for those NFA'd in February would be May, but hey, at least ur in somewhere...there are a lot of us out here still waiting on that first acceptance

I hope this isn't true. I heard somewhere that all of the spots would be offered in April (obviously this is just hearsay, so not sure how much truth there is to this statement),but it would be nice if it wasn't true...waiting is killing me. NFA'd in December and again in February. All I can hope is that the admissions person was wrong..mostly because I'm tired of waiting and I'm sure all the others NFA'ers are too! :laugh:

basically no one knows whats going on...just get through april guys and we'll know.

I interviewed this week and this is my understanding of what is going on from what we were told: LSU-NO has already offered about 200 spots as of about March 15th. Students who have reserved spots at multiple medical schools have until May 15 to decide on one school and get their deposits refunded at the rest. After this date, more spots will open back up and they will send out additional acceptances.

my buddy told me this morning he got a rejection letter in the mail this morning - I dont know if they sent out a bunch of letters but thats one...

Was he previously NFA'd? Or did he interview in march?

he didnt get an interview invitation, i think this is the first letter he has received

Status
Not open for further replies.