2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the following in the email:

"Recently t he Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW ) received from the AAMC your new MCAT results. Our Admissions Committee believes that, should your academic and supporting credentials complement these scores, you may be a competitive candidate for the entering class of 2012. Please allow me to briefly introduce you to MCW. "

Inviting me to apply. Why are these sent so late? Would I even have a shot if I applied now?

Members don't see this ad :)

"Recently t he Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW ) received from the AAMC your new MCAT results. Our Admissions Committee believes that, should your academic and supporting credentials complement these scores, you may be a competitive candidate for the entering class of 2012. Please allow me to briefly introduce you to MCW. "

Inviting me to apply. Why are these sent so late? Would I even have a shot if I applied now?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I also received the same e-mail . I got a 27Q. I feel like they sent out a mass bunch of emails to increase apps. Perhaps they want to collect the secondary fee?

**My classmate just received one with a new MCAT of 25. :p

lol BUSTED

A query: What are your opinions on schools using such tactics as (clearly) solely a source of revenue while giving hope to people, the majority of whom most likely have little to no chance. Business as usual? Unscrupulous?

Yeah, I got one as well. Received my MCAT scores a while back; AMCAS not yet verified. Odd timing... seems like a secondary fee hail mary

lol BUSTED

A query: What are your opinions on schools using such tactics as (clearly) solely a source of revenue while giving hope to people, the majority of whom most likely have little to no chance. Business as usual? Unscrupulous?

I also received the same e-mail . I got a 27Q. I feel like they sent out a mass bunch of emails to increase apps. Perhaps they want to collect the secondary fee?

**My classmate just received one with a new MCAT of 25. :p

Hey guys,

I received an email titled "invitation to MCW". I did not do well on the MCAT (24Q)... But I have a 3.99 GPA. I am not sure what this email is about. Does anyone know what it means?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I received an email titled "invitation to MCW". I did not do well on the MCAT (24Q)... But I have a 3.99 GPA. I am not sure what this email is about. Does anyone know what it means?

Do you normally just read email titles and not open them?

I got the "invitation to MCW" e-mail too. Do they send these to everybody, or only to people who have a high chance of getting in if they apply? I don't want to apply if the e-mail was sent to nearly everyone, but if not then I will do it. Can anyone elaborate?

I got the "invitation to MCW" e-mail too. Do they send these to everybody, or only to people who have a high chance of getting in if they apply? I don't want to apply if the e-mail was sent to nearly everyone, but if not then I will do it. Can anyone elaborate?
Well it appears that they send the same email to everyone with about a 25 or higher on the MCAT. I just searched my email and found the same type of email from my MCAT last year.

It's just a generic form letter and they have no access to your application besides your MCAT, which you technically released to all schools for marketing at some point while signing up for the MCAT. They're just trying to promote their school so you can't read anything into it.

Well it appears that they send the same email to everyone with about a 25 or higher on the MCAT. I just searched my email and found the same type of email from my MCAT last year.

It's just a generic form letter and they have no access to your application besides your MCAT, which you technically released to all schools for marketing at some point while signing up for the MCAT. They're just trying to promote their school so you can't read anything into it.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. Aren't all these schools extremely competitive as it is? Do they really need to advertise themselves like this in order to get more applications? Seems like they're just trying to make money.

I sincerely doubt that the cutoff is 25, because I am below that, and I received the letter as well.

What do I do? lol i had already set up for the ceremonial incineration of this cycle's application...

It looks like this email is just a way for them to solicit more money from applicants, because they are sending it to everyone who took the MCAT, not necessarily because you are competitive. If you weren't planning on applying here, don't add the school based on that email.

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the status page? Clicking the secondary app link just gives me an error message....

Does anyone know if the admissions office accepts letters of update? I recently acquired a job working at a Hispanic health clinic and got hired on as a youth basketball coach, so I figured these would be good things to let them know! I'm in the small pool.. maybe it will help bump me up haha :claps:

Does anyone know if the admissions office accepts letters of update? I recently acquired a job working at a Hispanic health clinic and got hired on as a youth basketball coach, so I figured these would be good things to let them know! I'm in the small pool.. maybe it will help bump me up haha :claps:

I think I remember reading that they don't accept updates unless you're waitlisted or invited to interview, but I'm not positive. It's on their website somewhere.

lol BUSTED

I vote for pretty unscrupulous, aimed at inducing people with little to no chance of getting in to pay their secondary fee. I assume they have their own lawyers to sanction these tactics, but I think they must be boderline actionable.

Just added MCW today. Hope to join you lucky people with interview invites soon!

What was the interview day like? Anything surprising to take note of? I'm interviewing on the 29th!

Thanks!

Well, it was the EDP day, and they were pretty clear that it was run a bit differently from a "normal" interview day.

The interviewers that I had were both very engaged and welcoming, and it sounds like the other interviewees had a similar experience. I think all our interviewers were MDs and/or PhDs, though I've talked to current students who went through the normal pool who were interviewed by one MD or PhD and one student.

The new director of admissions (Jennifer) was very welcoming, helpful, and laid-back. She seemed really enthusiastic about the season kicking off. Everyone I came across was very helpful.

My interview questions were pretty straightforward. It mostly focused on why I was applying EDP and why I was leaving engineering, with a few typical interview questions thrown in. Nothing was way out there, it was generally very conversational.

Our invites said to check in between 11 and noon. All of us were there by 11:30, though nothing started until noon. Not a big deal, gave us all some good time to chat and relax, but something to be aware of.

Overall a very comfortabe, organized day, I think.

Okay so I'm taking a train to a Milwaukee station near MCW, and I called and asked if they have bus services that will go from the AMTRAK station to the school where I can meet my host buddy, and they said no :( they only have those services from the airport. Where can I find info for bus or taxi services from the nearest AMTRAK station to the medical institution :confused: My interview is scheduled for next Friday

Okay so I'm taking a train to a Milwaukee station near MCW, and I called and asked if they have bus services that will go from the AMTRAK station to the school where I can meet my host buddy, and they said no :( they only have those services from the airport. Where can I find info for bus or taxi services from the nearest AMTRAK station to the medical institution :confused: My interview is scheduled for next Friday
I would Google it. You can use Google to map out he bus routes, and MCTS (the transit service) has an alright site.
Google's Suggested Route

I'm not familiar with taxi services in the area, though I do know they line up in front of the Amtrak (intermodal) station.

ETA: I wouldn't walk the first part of that route alone late at night, but that's mostly because I'm afraid of werewolves and pumas. During the day you'd be totally fine, and at night you're probably alright, too.

Well, it was the EDP day, and they were pretty clear that it was run a bit differently from a "normal" interview day.

The interviewers that I had were both very engaged and welcoming, and it sounds like the other interviewees had a similar experience. I think all our interviewers were MDs and/or PhDs, though I've talked to current students who went through the normal pool who were interviewed by one MD or PhD and one student.

The new director of admissions (Jennifer) was very welcoming, helpful, and laid-back. She seemed really enthusiastic about the season kicking off. Everyone I came across was very helpful.

My interview questions were pretty straightforward. It mostly focused on why I was applying EDP and why I was leaving engineering, with a few typical interview questions thrown in. Nothing was way out there, it was generally very conversational.

Our invites said to check in between 11 and noon. All of us were there by 11:30, though nothing started until noon. Not a big deal, gave us all some good time to chat and relax, but something to be aware of.

Overall a very comfortabe, organized day, I think.

Awesome for EDP :thumbup: I'm obviously not EDP but I'm hoping the staff and faculty have that same attitude. Thanks for the info and make sure to post when you get that acceptance!

Walk a couple of blocks north, then hop on the #10 or #31 city bus. It will take you straight to the campus. All for the low price of $2.25.

Note: if you take the 31 bus, make sure NOT to take the one that goes to Mayfair.

I would Google it. You can use Google to map out he bus routes, and MCTS (the transit service) has an alright site.
Google's Suggested Route

I'm not familiar with taxi services in the area, though I do know they line up in front of the Amtrak (intermodal) station.

ETA: I wouldn't walk the first part of that route alone late at night, but that's mostly because I'm afraid of werewolves and pumas. During the day you'd be totally fine, and at night you're probably alright, too.

Walk a couple of blocks north, then hop on the #10 or #31 city bus. It will take you straight to the campus. All for the low price of $2.25.

Note: if you take the 31 bus, make sure NOT to take the one that goes to Mayfair.

Thank yous! :):)

Thank yous! :):)

Assuming you are taking the Hiawatha Amtrak train: Another option could be to take the train and get off at the Airport stop (one before the downtown stop). Hop on the free shuttle that will drop you off at the airport terminal, then take the MCW shuttle to the school. Not sure what your time frames are, but just figured I'd throw that out there for reference.

waiting for the door to interview heaven to open from my small pool tar pit.....:xf::scared::xf:

Assuming you are taking the Hiawatha Amtrak train: Another option could be to take the train and get off at the Airport stop (one before the downtown stop). Hop on the free shuttle that will drop you off at the airport terminal, then take the MCW shuttle to the school. Not sure what your time frames are, but just figured I'd throw that out there for reference.

Yeah, I'm taking the Hiawatha. I already bought the ticket though.. so I can't change that right? I think I'll just google search about the Milwaukee city bus #10 bus routes and then hopefully I can go from there :oops: I just don't wanna get lost :(

Yeah, I'm taking the Hiawatha. I already bought the ticket though.. so I can't change that right? I think I'll just google search about the Milwaukee city bus #10 bus routes and then hopefully I can go from there :oops: I just don't wanna get lost :(

You wouldn't have to change it, just get off the train one stop earlier. ;) What time are you getting into MKE?

You wouldn't have to change it, just get off the train one stop earlier. ;) What time are you getting into MKE?

Sorry, re-reading your last post I see now that you said the airport train stop is actually before the city one. Missed that small (but crucial) detail 'cause I was on my way to class, but yeah you're right, and that would make things much easier! No looking for bus/taxi services! I'll pm you (let me know if you've received it 'cause it keeps saying I haven't sent anything)

Last edited:
The website says this:

"A shuttle back to the airport is available at 5:00 PM at the candidate's expense."

http://www.mcw.edu/medicalschool/Interviewing.htm

Is there a fee for taking the shuttle? Or by expense do they mean time (like if you miss it oh well)?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the post-interview shuttle costs money. You might want to contact admissions to see if they have a sense of how much it usually costs. I personally didn't use it when I interviewed; sorry I can't be more help.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the post-interview shuttle costs money. You might want to contact admissions to see if they have a sense of how much it usually costs. I personally didn't use it when I interviewed; sorry I can't be more help.

I didn't use it when I interviewed b/c my fight was moved to the next day due to weather back home, but IIRC, it was only around $10.

Not looking good for me, guys. We were supposed to hear by email today for acceptances and rejections were snail mailed today. I haven't heard a peep from MCW. I suppose my trip to the mailbox tomorrow will bring the bad news. It ain't over 'til it's over and all, but I can't help but feel a bit blue. :(

Anyway, only one week til the next round of interviews, right? Are you guys getting excited? It really is a great school (IMHO). Best of luck to you all!

Not looking good for me, guys. We were supposed to hear by email today for acceptances and rejections were snail mailed today. I haven't heard a peep from MCW. I suppose my trip to the mailbox tomorrow will bring the bad news. It ain't over 'til it's over and all, but I can't help but feel a bit blue. :(

Anyway, only one week til the next round of interviews, right? Are you guys getting excited? It really is a great school (IMHO). Best of luck to you all!

I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed for you.

Don't give up yet. There may have been some type of error, or their timeline may have been tentative. Best of Luck; I hope you hear good news.

I thought schools were not allowed to send acceptances until after Oct 15th? unless this sort of an under-the-radar/unofficial method..

Status
Not open for further replies.