2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1
Thought there would be more posts, they seemed really swamped with calls

That is strange; last year they had a ton of people respond when they sent out the late September interview batch. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait an see if they offer anymore tomorrow, or if there are more posts tomorrow, and I was just passed up for this round.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to the first round of interviewees this Friday! Be sure to come to the cafeteria at lunch and get a cupcake!

I hope this viewpoint at least makes you more confident in their system even if you dislike it.

So you're saying that most people in the pool eventually get interviews?

If so, your post does make me feel a little better - and I appreciate your taking the time to write it.

Members don't see this ad :)

If so, your post does make me feel a little better - and I appreciate your taking the time to write it.

Interview invite email 9/28. Small pool email 8/22.

Interview Invite yesterday! I'll be up there on Nov. 11th. Can't wait! Any current students have any advice or tips?

Good luck everyone!

No, sorry if I explained poorly. The pool is not really a waitlist because everyone must be placed in it prior to interview. You can be accepted without being placed on a waitlist, but you cannot be interviewed without being placed in the pool (to my knowledge). Therefore, you should not feel bad about being placed in the pool. It simply means that you are in their top 40-50% of candidates.

Now they tend to interview about 8-10% OOS and 31% IS.
This means that roughly 20-25% of OOS placed in the pool will be interviewed, and 60-75% of IS placed in the pool will be interviewed.

Assuming IS and OOS are placed in the pool equally, the numbers above should be correct. If you are IS you have a VERY good chance of being interviewed if you are in the pool, and if you are OOS you have an alright chance of being interviewed.

These numbers are derived from the MSAR, but again I made a lot of assumptions in these calculations, and also the 40-50% pooled is a subjective number that I got from the forum. We have no idea if you are more likely to be placed in the pool if you are IS to begin with. If that is the case, then we would see that OOS people placed in the pool would have a greater chance then the one given above. I hope this helps some, but there is really no way of knowing for sure how they distribute the pool.

Sorry, I am a math guy, so these things are important to me :oops:

By the way, Congrats to all the invites!!!
I am pretty jealous, but I got a different one today to make up for it! :)

Last edited:
Just interviewed there, OOS. Milwaukee was so friendly, and MCW was amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed the day. Good luck to you all.

I really enjoyed my interview experience yesterday!! It was so awesome meeting people from across the nation and the people there were really nice. And OMG the hosptial complex is insanely huge!!! :eek::eek: Beautiful facilities, overall thumbs way up!! This was my first interview, and I'm OoS. The interviewers were very nice, they sincerely were trying to get to know the real me and not trying to trip me up :) I appreciated that :)
:luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
I applied 8/22, not pooled yet: im i a back runner or still in the normal timeline of events?

did you guys ever receive a "complete" email? on the status check page it says i'm complete but never received an email and it's been over a month since complete and no word :( afraid my app was lost haha

Members don't see this ad :)
when are they going to start sending rejections to those who didn't pool yet?

Don't give up hope if you haven't been pooled yet! Just wait it out. Don't want to be too specific about my own situation but don't give up if you haven't been rejected yet.

when are they going to start sending rejections to those who didn't pool yet?

Last year some of the people that did NOT get small pooled received snail mail rejections the week of and around the date of 10/12. Small pools will usually get interviewed anytime before March if not they are usually rejected towards the middle of March.

Last edited:
Don't give up hope if you haven't been pooled yet! Just wait it out. Don't want to be too specific about my own situation but don't give up if you haven't been rejected yet.

It's alright. If they reject me, it's not meant to be. But if I get an II, I will gladly go because I heard a lot of good things about MCW

Last year some of the people that did NOT get small pooled received snail mail rejections the week of and around the date of 10/12. Small pools will usually get interviewed anytime before March if not they are usually rejected towards the middle of March.

Thanks for the info! Right before my decision comes out :eek:

did you guys ever receive a "complete" email? on the status check page it says i'm complete but never received an email and it's been over a month since complete and no word :( afraid my app was lost haha

I don't recall ever getting an email notice for that, I think it's one of those schools that only update that on the secondary status page. Don't worry, your app's not lost haha ;) :luck:

I don't recall ever getting an email notice for that, I think it's one of those schools that only update that on the secondary status page. Don't worry, your app's not lost haha ;) :luck:

This is what i recall as well

Wow, I can't wait for my interview!!! I have to get a new suit and fresh cut. Medical School here I come. :love: Anyone have gone/going to the social the night before?

Finally pooled today! (10/5/11) So happy to be swimming with the rest of you.

application certified 9/21/11. Fingers crossed for an interview.

article-1035533-01F69AC100000578-995_468x703_popup.jpg

i never got a small pool email, but i just called them today (based on what i read in this thread) and the lady said i'm small-pooled. i wonder how long it takes for them to update your status page/send you a small pool email?

btw, i was complete 8/12

EDIT: just called them back, and the lady told me she made a mistake and i was still "under review." bummmmmer

Last edited:
small pooled today (secondary completed 9/21/11)! I'm glad to be finally hearing back from schools now.

small pooled today (secondary completed 9/21/11)! I'm glad to be finally hearing back from schools now.

Small pooled today as well! I feel like they small pool A LOT of people. Well, we will see what happens! Fingers crossed! :xf:

Good luck to you guys on your interviews. Be patient if you're in the small pool group or haven't received a small pool email yet... I got mine pretty late (some time after this time last year) and I eventually got an interview in March. Eventually got a deferment offer. Anything can happen!

Good luck to you guys on your interviews. Be patient if you're in the small pool group or haven't received a small pool email yet... I got mine pretty late (some time after this time last year) and I eventually got an interview in March. Eventually got a deferment offer. Anything can happen!

Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for the words of encouragement. Can you provide your stats from last cycle?

Wow, I can't wait for my interview!!! I have to get a new suit and fresh cut. Medical School here I come. :love: Anyone have gone/going to the social the night before?

Congrats! The social is a very laid back thing. Eat some pizza, watch a little slide-show, talk to current students. I would definitely recommend.

Small pooled today. I was quite shocked because I had given hope when the admissions lady told me my LOR probably wouldn't go through. It took them 2 weeks accept my LOR at 8/13. But I am excited nonetheless!

what does the email say if you are small-pooled/does it require extra essays?

what does the email say

It states in bold letters: THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO INTERVIEW

It's true. But no, there are no additional essays.

Pretty much and:
The committee has completed its review of your application. It has been moved to a pool of applicants who potentially will be invited to interview with us......

It states in bold letters: THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO INTERVIEW

It's true. But no, there are no additional essays.

Small pooled today..
Secondary received 7/22
Secondary completed 7/22
New MCAT Score 8/30
Small-pooled 10/7

small pooled today. completed application 9/22, 31N 3.62

Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for the words of encouragement. Can you provide your stats from last cycle?

3.76, 31Q
EC's were well rounded I guess, but I don't think outstanding by any means.

So the women meeting letter was accidentally thrown out by someone in my house because they thought it was recruitment mail and now I do not know the details :( Could someone either PM me or post time and location! Thank you!

So the women meeting letter was accidentally thrown out by someone in my house because they thought it was recruitment mail and now I do not know the details :( Could someone either PM me or post time and location! Thank you!

:confused::confused::confused: A women meeting letter?

Haha that's all I know really. Some sort of breakfast (maybe) for women on the day of your interview. Sorry for the confusion

You should contact admissions. They are a better source of information than SDN.

Haha that's all I know really. Some sort of breakfast (maybe) for women on the day of your interview. Sorry for the confusion

Yeah probably contact admissions this Tuesday, there was no women's breakfast when I interviewed there on 9/30... that wasn't part of the interview day schedule, no one mentioned such a thing at all, and even if there was, why wasn't I invited LoL? maybe it's a newer thing for the later interviews? idk :sleep:

The letter simply says to drop by and say 'hi' at lunch. I believe they entice you with free cupcakes...

Hello all,

I've been following this thread since start of cycle. I will be interviewing on Oct. 28th and will also be a part of the applicant host program. I think every school should have something similar to reduce costs. Anybody else interviewing on this day??

Question about Host program- Do we receive a detailed email about where exactly to meet at the airport for the shuttle?

Hey do you guys think we'll know by Saturday (those of us who interviewed already)? They can send the letters on Friday during office hours and we can get it on Saturday the 15th.. or do we have to wait two more gruesome days till the next business day (Monday the 17th)?

I wanna know nooooooooww :diebanana:

Man, tomorrow marks six years to the day that I got my acceptance letter from MCW (on a weekday).

Admitted to UMich -- Withdrawing my application to MCW. I'm sad to pass this school up, the faculty, staff and students seem very friendly and happy (I <3 the Midwest) , but you can't beat that IS tuition rate.

Best of luck to all of you continuing at MCW this cycle. Hopefully 2 weeks notice is enough time for someone to take advantage of my interview slot and get a chance at attending this great school.

:luck: :luck:

Interviewed here yesterday. This school is amazing. It seemed like it combined all of the positive aspects that I liked about other schools into one, yet had none of the negatives. Waiting for a decision will be grueling. :xf:

hey do you guys think we'll know by saturday (those of us who interviewed already)? They can send the letters on friday during office hours and we can get it on saturday the 15th.. Or do we have to wait two more gruesome days till the next business day (monday the 17th)?

I wanna know nooooooooww :diebanana:
+1

Pooled today!! Complete 10/07-ish. So happy I didn't have to wait too long before a decision.

Newbie question: what's the difference between the pool and the small pool? I imagine it's the difference between all the people in the swimming pool and all the "cool kids" hanging out in the jacuzzi. One step closer to interview? :confused:

Also, does the pool apply to the MSTP application as well?

Cheers!

Pooled today!! Complete 10/07-ish. So happy I didn't have to wait too long before a decision.

Newbie question: what's the difference between the pool and the small pool? I imagine it's the difference between all the people in the swimming pool and all the "cool kids" hanging out in the jacuzzi. One step closer to interview? :confused:

Also, does the pool apply to the MSTP application as well?

Cheers!

Pool= small pool

"Small" was assigned to the term by optimistic forum-goers

I interviewed here yesterday, and thought it was interesting how they mentioned sending thank-you notes to your interviewers. How common is it that people do this? If you felt you had a really genuine connection with your interviewer then it seems like a nice gesture...but it also seems a little...I'm not sure what the right word is, fawning? Or is this just a common polite thing to do?

I'm not so concerned with whether this affects your chance of being accepted, more just curious about what exactly the etiquette here is.

Opinions?

I didn't do it.

It's a professional courtesy when you interview for jobs in the real world but truth be told I never did it after job interviews, either, and I was still offered jobs post interview.

I doubt a thank you note or not will really affect your chances of acceptance.

Edit: I didn't really read your post fully. I feel like the thank you note is the correct etiquette but it's not like tipping where you absolutely have to. I think it's less required in the world of medical school interviews, where the school is interviewing like 500 candidates, than the job situation I mentioned, where they are only considering a small pool of people for one or few positions and the note could actually have bearing on their final decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.