2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed here yesterday, and thought it was interesting how they mentioned sending thank-you notes to your interviewers. How common is it that people do this? If you felt you had a really genuine connection with your interviewer then it seems like a nice gesture...but it also seems a little...I'm not sure what the right word is, fawning? Or is this just a common polite thing to do?

I'm not so concerned with whether this affects your chance of being accepted, more just curious about what exactly the etiquette here is.

Opinions?

I always send thank you cards, but I do it because I want to do it not because I have to.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed here yesterday, and thought it was interesting how they mentioned sending thank-you notes to your interviewers. How common is it that people do this? If you felt you had a really genuine connection with your interviewer then it seems like a nice gesture...but it also seems a little...I'm not sure what the right word is, fawning? Or is this just a common polite thing to do?

I'm not so concerned with whether this affects your chance of being accepted, more just curious about what exactly the etiquette here is.

Opinions?

I sent Thank-you notes after interviews, but like others have said, it's probably not really necessary. I think it's a nice gesture, especially when you mention something talked about during the interview. I always tried to thank my interviewers for a question that they answered especially well. If I thought the interviewer was a disaster, I didn't send a card!

I didn't do it.

It's a professional courtesy when you interview for jobs in the real world but truth be told I never did it after job interviews, either, and I was still offered jobs post interview.

I doubt a thank you note or not will really affect your chances of acceptance.

Edit: I didn't really read your post fully. I feel like the thank you note is the correct etiquette but it's not like tipping where you absolutely have to. I think it's less required in the world of medical school interviews, where the school is interviewing like 500 candidates, than the job situation I mentioned, where they are only considering a small pool of people for one or few positions and the note could actually have bearing on their final decision.

I tend to disagree on a number of points. Each interviewer sees only a fraction of the 500. It is specifically mentioned by the director of admissions. And I'd put money on Peggy Post saying that it is absolutely necessary from an etiquette standpoint.

Finally, why not? It takes less than 5 minutes, 1/5 of a $3.99 pack of cards, and $.88 in postage for a nice gesture. If nothing else it will probably brighten someone's day.

Kind of like wearing hose or a jacket... It probably won't make or break you, but it's better to do it just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pooled on August 22nd and still no news....
What is the turn around rate usually from being pooled to an interview invite?

I didn't want to flood my interviewers with notes. I have no idea how many people they are interviewing. Maybe etiquette-wise it is required but I didn't do it and I think they mention it because a ton of people will ask about it otherwise, not to mandate it from applicants (though I'm sure more people do it because they mention it).

If you want to do it--do it. If not--don't. Don't stress either way.

i didn't want to flood my interviewers with notes. I have no idea how many people they are interviewing. Maybe etiquette-wise it is required but i didn't do it and i think they mention it because a ton of people will ask about it otherwise, not to mandate it from applicants (though i'm sure more people do it because they mention it).

If you want to do it--do it. If not--don't. Don't stress either way.
+1

Hey everyone,

I just got accepted via phone. My first one - it's been a long wait, but worthwhile. I wish the best of luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not looking good for me, guys. We were supposed to hear by email today for acceptances and rejections were snail mailed today. I haven't heard a peep from MCW. I suppose my trip to the mailbox tomorrow will bring the bad news. It ain't over 'til it's over and all, but I can't help but feel a bit blue. :(

Anyway, only one week til the next round of interviews, right? Are you guys getting excited? It really is a great school (IMHO). Best of luck to you all!

I'm really really hoping that my situation will be like this one, where you didn't hear from 'em right away but then bam! acceptance :D

Why did they only call a handful of people? There were like 70 people there!!! surely they didn't accept only 3!! :annoyed:

Congrats everyone! I would love to interview here. Has anyone had success with a "in the area" email this cycle? Thanks in advance.

Wooooooooo... Got the acceptance call. First one=Soooooo awesome

Is anyone else having problems logging into their status page? I just tried logging in and it said my ID is no longer active.

So I definitely thought my chance was over for getting accepted and at exactly 5pm, Jennifer called! It's my first MD acceptance after 2 years of trying and I'm so thankful! Congrats everyone!

So I definitely thought my chance was over for getting accepted and at exactly 5pm, Jennifer called! It's my first MD acceptance after 2 years of trying and I'm so thankful! Congrats everyone!
Congrats to you! Hopefully all of this week's good cheer for acceptances will translate into more IIs on Wednesday.

all day at school wondering when I'm gonna be notified :scared:

still no word/call/mail/nada from them :diebanana:

go to work not really paying attention to what I'm doing :lame:

losing hope...

after work, check voicemail :eek:

me running around the parking lot after work :soexcited::roflcopter::rofl:

random strangers in parking lot looking at me, oh well

come home, told mom, she goes :love::biglove::highfive:

today was definitely an emotional roller coaster, and although I have closed this chapter of my life (sorry to sound all gushy) the journey has just begun! We're going to be doctors.. we are the physicians of the future, this is surreal, I can't believe this!!!!!!!!

sorry I totally abused the smilies

Thank you all for your support through this process and buena suerte

Is anyone else having problems logging into their status page? I just tried logging in and it said my ID is no longer active.

Same thing happened to me. Perhaps they are passively rejecting us.

First wave of snail mail rejections were around this time last year per the 2010-2011 thread

Same thing happened to me. Perhaps they are passively rejecting us.

Hmm tried again today, and it still gives me the message, "user id not active". I havent been small pooled, so maybe first sign of rejection,

Still not able to login and no small pool e-mail, going to chalk this one up to a rejection, hopefully get something in the mail to confirm.

OOS, 3.5, 38Q, 2 years clinical exp., 3 years research ( with pubs). Complete 10/4.
small pooled today.

oh well

[comment removed by user]

Last edited:
Still not able to login and no small pool e-mail, going to chalk this one up to a rejection, hopefully get something in the mail to confirm.

Same here. I haven't gotten small pooled either. I just sent them an email asking what the error meant - if it was a website problem or something else. I'll post on here what they reply!

Same here. I haven't gotten small pooled either. I just sent them an email asking what the error meant - if it was a website problem or something else. I'll post on here what they reply!
Not to add to people's anxiety, but I have been small pooled and checked my login. No problems for me other than the site was somewhat slow during the transition from the login screen to the actual app site. I have no idea what that means for others :(.

Not to add to people's anxiety, but I have been small pooled and checked my login. No problems for me other than the site was somewhat slow during the transition from the login screen to the actual app site. I have no idea what that means for others :(.

Although it most likely is a rejection, what a horrible way to do it! No warning, just an inactive ID...... hopefully they are at least snail mailing some legit rejection letters. Has anyone gotten one yet?

yet to be pooled and I can still log in (complete around 9/6)... although I am way late by SDN standards

I thought about calling this morning, but I didn't feel like hearing about a rejection today. Interested to see what they say in reply to your email. It's most likely what we assume it to be.

I thought about calling this morning, but I didn't feel like hearing about a rejection today. Interested to see what they say in reply to your email. It's most likely what we assume it to be.

They said they are experiencing technical difficulties with the site.... I'm not sure I believe it, though. It's not just a coincidence that it is only happening to those of us who haven't been small pooled. I wonder if they just can't tell you it's a rejection via email....

Not pooled yet and having problems logging in. Definitely assuming a rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.