2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Complete Late-July...

i think everyone who was complete around then, not pooled yet, are having problems logging in...i think this might be a rejection...

Members don't see this ad.

same phenomenon over here too...not small-pooled and my "user id is not active..." Wish they would just send the rejection email so I could be sure.

Could somebody who recently received an interview invitation post what day they were small-pooled?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. I can't log in either and I wasn't small pooled either. I submitted my secondary in late July and haven't heard anything from them since then.

Maybe I'll call if I find time today. If this is their way of rejecting us, it's very disappointing.
:lame:

Hmm. I can't log in either and I wasn't small pooled either. I submitted my secondary in late July and haven't heard anything from them since then.

Maybe I'll call if I find time today. If this is their way of rejecting us, it's very disappointing.

I agree. What a horrible way to reject applicants!

I asked one of my friends who applied last year he said the same issue happened to him and then a couple weeks later he received the rejection letter in the snail mail. I think it's a pretty brutal way of rejecting people but never the less you just have to keep your head up and move on.

I'm pretty sure they deleted the accounts after sending out rejection snail mails.

makes sent to me... i have been in the small pool awhile. I want to get an interview!! :xf:

Just got my rejection letter in the mail today...sorry guys!

Well, looks like I didn't get thrown out of the pool quite yet. Guess that's a good sign...still hoping for that II!

Cat%2BJump.jpg

The admission committee meets again today to make decisions on those who interviewed last Friday. I'm terribly nervous and excited at the same time. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few hours of sleep tonight...:xf:

On the wait list! Hopefully that changes in the upcoming months.

Better than a rejection at least : /

rejected via snail mail. expected after a no pool.

Good luck to the rest of y'all!

Members don't see this ad :)
The admission committee meets again today to make decisions on those who interviewed last Friday. I'm terribly nervous and excited at the same time. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few hours of sleep tonight...:xf:

+1 (am very nervous!- it would be nice to have an acceptance this early on in the process)

Does anyone know when we will get information about student hosts? I'm attending the get-together on Thursday night before the interview, so do they tell us then?

I'd like to know so I have time to get a hotel if need be.

Are you in the student host program? If you signed up for it when you called admissions, then you will find out who your host is at the thursday night social.

ACCEPTED! got the call just a little while ago

ACCEPTED! got the call just a little while ago

+1

I must have sounded terrible on the phone: was working last night till 0430 hours this morning, fell asleep by 0600 hours, and got the call at 0900 hours- BUT THAT DIDN'T MASK MY EXCITEMENT ONE BIT! :D

yet to be pooled and I can still log in (complete around 9/6)... although I am way late by SDN standards

Same here, was complete around 9/15. No correspondence from them concerning any sort of "Small pool"... can still log in to my account though!

ACCEPTED!! I'm so thrilled! I absolutely love this school! :thumbup::):thumbup:

Are you in the student host program? If you signed up for it when you called admissions, then you will find out who your host is at the thursday night social.

I am. Thanks for letting me know, I was getting worried when they hadn't contacted me yet.

Accepted! I accidentally left my phone at home when I went to work today, so I was on pins and needles through my whole shift. But when I got home I had a voicemail waiting for me as of 10:50a congratulating me on my acceptance. So very excited!

any new invites? I've been small pooled since the first day and still no word... :(

Congrats to all those accepted! For everyone else, I know the waiting game is hard, but just remember that MCW interviews for many more months so you still have strong chances of getting interview spots. Let me know if anyone has questions. Hope to see many of the SDN people on campus soon!

just got the boot from MCW preinterview. good luck to all of you still in the game!

Anyone interviewing Nov 11th? Seems so far away. I am so nervous, I really want to go here. Any advice from those who have interviewed already?

I decided to decline my seat today. Good luck to the rest of you!

I also applied way late by SDN standards, but this is the first time I've ever been small pooled!

Secondary complete: 10/9
Small pooled: 10/25

Anyone interviewing Nov 11th? Seems so far away. I am so nervous, I really want to go here. Any advice from those who have interviewed already?
I'm finding that a surprising number of people don't know about the Interview Feedback section at the top of the page. It's not working for me right now, not sure if it's because I'm at work or if there's something wrong with the page. Anyway, when it is working there are a TON of example questions from past MCW interviews.

Some things I told bluv1212 in a PM. I don't know if they listened to me, but they did get accepted. :)
Most of my interviews focused on why I wanted to go into medicine after a mechanical engineering degree and almost 9 years as an engineer.

Aside from that, my first interviewer opened with "Tell me some things about yourself that aren't on your application." You try so hard to put all your relevant information on the application that it was surprisingly tough to answer.

I also got, "What are you most proud of?", "What was the most difficult thing you've done?", and "What would you do differently?" The second interview was much more conversational.

For some more general thoughts - the admissions staff was pretty casually dressed, with everyone in green polo shirts. Of the 5 people who interviewed on my day, two girls were in suits, one was in pants + blazer, and the two guys were in dress pants/shirt/tie getups. I would suggest a suit, but it doesn't have to be hardcore.

Also, if they give you a time frame for check-in, keep in mind that there is nothing to do during that window. You could check in right at the start and then wander and chat with other applicants a bit, or check in towards the end of the window. Just remember they usually have ~60 people interviewing per day.

If you haven't met Jennifer, she's much younger than most people would expect for an admissions director (late 20's/early 30's?), and she'll be dressed like the rest of the admissions staff. Makes it all the more important to be nice to everybody you meet.

Granted, I've never been to another med school, but I get the feeling that MCW is decidedly unpretentious. Most of the students I've met are easy-going people, the admissions office is very kind and helpful, the interviewers were sharp but friendly and curteous. Try to relax, don't babble incessently, answer the questions honestly and directly. Use your manners. Don't get butt-hurt if your interviewer is late or gets paged or something (my first interview was only ~15 minutes long as it started late, included a phone call to return a page, and then ended early so she could see a patient). They'll still give you a fair assessment. That's about all I've got. :)

I also applied way late by SDN standards, but this is the first time I've ever been small pooled!

Secondary complete: 10/9
Small pooled: 10/25

Wow thats a really fast turn around.... I wonder what it means for those of us still waiting who submitted earlier

wow... looks like they have covered a wide time range in small pools today.... although they may just be pulling out the better applicants.....

Has anyone received an II without being pooled? or know if it is a necessity to be pooled before an II?

I've been swimming in this pool since August now. I'm kind of ready to get out and dry off with an interview... I feel like I may drown otherwise.

The case seems all too familiar. I feel like one of a million three-eyed green aliens, from Toy Story, hoping that the claw (MC Wisconsin Adcoms) pick me in their next go. Unfortunately, I may be at the bottom of the vending pit and I am indistinguishable compared to everyone else above me. We will always be family, and the rest of us members wish you well if you get carried away.

same here. small pooled 8/26.

The case seems all too familiar. I feel like one of a million three-eyed green aliens, from Toy Story, hoping that the claw (MC Wisconsin Adcoms) pick me in their next go. Unfortunately, I may be at the bottom of the vending pit and I am indistinguishable compared to everyone else above me. We will always be family, and the rest of us members wish you well if you get carried away.
:laugh:
toy-story-aliens.jpg

Just know yourself, and be yourself. I can't stress this enough. Each of us has a different story. All of the questions the interviewers ask should be able to be answered based on your experiences alone. They just want to get to know you. Say things that are true about yourself, not what you 'think' the interviewer wants to hear. Interviewers can smell lies like a hungry wolf smells fear. Just be yourself, and you'll do great! :)

I would love an II here. I've been small pooled for several months, like a lot of you. I hope they hand out of invites in early November like someone mentioned they did last year.:xf:

Just know yourself, and be yourself. I can't stress this enough. Each of us has a different story. All of the questions the interviewers ask should be able to be answered based on your experiences alone. They just want to get to know you. Say things that are true about yourself, not what you 'think' the interviewer wants to hear. Interviewers can smell lies like a hungry wolf smells fear. Just be yourself, and you'll do great! :)

Thanks musclez! So I should openly admit I am reading Harry Potter if asked?

Complete 10/14 (waiting on a rec letter)
Small pooled 10/28

Really surprised by the turnaround, especially with how late I was. Anyone know if they accept "updates" while in the pool? I've been in and out of hospitals and doctors offices the past three months while awaiting surgery so I'd like to give some explanation as to why I was so late.

Was complete over a month ago...no news yet from them (not even a small pooled email). Is this normal? I tried calling the office today but its an interview day.

user id inactive... o god

i feel like some kinda robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.