2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Applications ~ 6000
Small Pool ~ 1500-2000 (I think this one was sort of a WAG)
Interviews ~ 600-800
Acceptances ~ 400
Matriculants - 204

:p

<--- Got pooled as well. But I am applying for MD/PhD. Anyone have numbers on MD/PhD? Or is it just one big pool?

Members don't see this ad.

I received the same e-mail. Is that best-case scenario at this point? Did anyone receive an interview invite?

Hey all!

Congrats to everyone who receive the "Small Pool" email today. This is a necessary first step in the MCW admissions process. Although it's not a guarantee you'll receive an interview, you should all be excited that you've gotten this far. For those who didn't receive an email, this does not mean you have been rejected. Remember, this whole process is a marathon.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here or shoot me a PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely thought the pool email was a bad thing so I was depressed yesterday for nothing!

I definitely thought the pool email was a bad thing so I was depressed yesterday for nothing!

Ha, same here. I thought it meant I wasn't good enough to yet be offered an interview, but not bad enough to be rejected.

i was checking the thread from last year and it seems like people get small pooled every week. rejections start coming out mid October.

for those who received the small pool this week might get interviews within a couple of days.

(all based on last year, and it seems like MCW invites 3.75+/31-33+ in the beginning)

for those who received the small pool this week might get interviews within a couple of days.

(all based on last year, and it seems like MCW invites 3.75+/31-33+ in the beginning)

These are the sorts of posts that usually get my hopes up only to have them dashed weeks later. Oh well, I guess it's like the high you get from buying a Mega Millions lotto ticket.

These are the sorts of posts that usually get my hopes up only to have them dashed weeks later. Oh well, I guess it's like the high you get from buying a Mega Millions lotto ticket.

Sorry.... Didn't mean to make you feel that way. Just wanted to let people know how it was last year.

Did anyone receive the pool email and was complete after 7/20? That's when they received my letters. I want to know if I am out of the running.

i was checking the thread from last year and it seems like people get small pooled every week. rejections start coming out mid October.

I wonder how they will deal with students with lower gpa and higher MCAT (and vice versa)...whether they use some formula in their calculations for an interview consideration...I'm in the first boat.

I wonder how they will deal with students with lower gpa and higher MCAT (and vice versa)...whether they use some formula in their calculations for an interview consideration...I'm in the first boat.

FWIW, I'm 3.5/34, complete 7/26, small pooled 8/22, EDP. Old and in-state.

also pooled yesterday. quick question - can apps go directly from being reviewed to being offered an interview or does it always have to go through this "pooled" stage first?

also pooled yesterday. quick question - can apps go directly from being reviewed to being offered an interview or does it always have to go through this "pooled" stage first?

A current student said 'small pooled' was a necessary step.

Members don't see this ad :)

I actually visited MCW and spoke with the admissions director in person about this. She told me that for those who have outstanding apps (high gpa/high mcat/great extra curr's) the interview is more a formality just to check that you are compatible with the program and the career (no dishonesty on your app, meet physical and technical requirements) and you will be accepted shortly after. If you are more middle of the road or borderline (lower mcat/lower mcat or a mix of high gpa/low mcat or vice versa) after attending an interview, more times than not you will enter a more extensive "academic review" where the adcom will go over your transcript in more detail (what classes you took, the rigor of the major, etc.) to determine if you will be granted admission to the school. Many applicants undergo this academic review because a large chunk of applicants are on that border-line area. I really liked this school when I visited, the administration says the med students are the "stars of the show" and their priority is always first with them and everyone next. They are continuously monitoring the curriculum and doing trials with new approaches to always better the curriculum. I actually watched a simulation too while I was there. It was really neat to watch the students undergo an emergency simulation with the interactive mannequins while the professor monitored the scene in a viewing room. The facilities are very nice and the staff was even nicer. I really felt that if I attended this school, I would be placed in an excellent position to become a great doctor. Definitely a great school to be patient with throughout the app cycle.

Last edited:
hey has anyone been able to upload a photo mine is only 40kb, but i can't even upload it...when i press upload it just refreshes and nothing happens?

hey has anyone been able to upload a photo mine is only 40kb, but i can't even upload it...when i press upload it just refreshes and nothing happens?

What browser are you using?

thanks leoger, i was using explorer...not sure why, anyhow, i restarted my laptop and was able to upload, thanks alot!

Ha, same here. I thought it meant I wasn't good enough to yet be offered an interview, but not bad enough to be rejected.

I thought the same thing! I was confused for quite a while. Glad it's actually a good development. :D

I actually visited MCW and spoke with the admissions director in person about this. She told me that for those who have outstanding apps (high gpa/high mcat/great extra curr's) the interview is more a formality just to check that you are compatible with the program and the career (no dishonesty on your app, meet physical and technical requirements) and you will be accepted shortly after. If you are more middle of the road or borderline (lower mcat/lower mcat or a mix of high gpa/low mcat or vice versa) after attending an interview, more times than not you will enter a more extensive "academic review" where the adcom will go over your transcript in more detail (what classes you took, the rigor of the major, etc.) to determine if you will be granted admission to the school. Many applicants undergo this academic review because a large chunk of applicants are on that border-line area. I really liked this school when I visited, the administration says the med students are the "stars of the show" and their priority is always first with them and everyone next. They are continuously monitoring the curriculum and doing trials with new approaches to always better the curriculum. I actually watched a simulation too while I was there. It was really neat to watch the students undergo an emergency simulation with the interactive mannequins while the professor monitored the scene in a viewing room. The facilities are very nice and the staff was even nicer. I really felt that if I attended this school, I would be placed in an excellent position to become a great doctor. Definitely a great school to be patient with throughout the app cycle.

thanks for the info! though now i definitely have a more negative outlook on my chances seeing that my stats are lower than the average..

i was complete on 8/3 and small pooled on 8/22

Thanks for the info! :xf:

The first batch of interviews were given on 8/25 last year and 8/26 the year before last year. Those are both Wednesdays. Looks like tomorrow is a big day, boys and girls!

The first batch of interviews were given on 8/25 last year and 8/26 the year before last year. Those are both Wednesdays. Looks like tomorrow is a big day, boys and girls!

Nice investigative work! I guess I'll be even more neurotic about checking my e-mail then :D

Good stuff!

FWIW, I interviewed at MCW (Beautiful place BTW. I thought I was walking into a museum.) two app cycles ago when Mr. Istwan was the Director of Admissions. Back then, he told us that those who got to the interview stage were on a level playing field (those that got pooled were determined to have the academic preparation to succeed in medical school)--the interview was the deciding factor for acceptance. Also, pooled applicants received interviews in the order they turned in the secondary.

With a new director in place and EricMont's info, I'm guessing they're moving away from that philosophy....?

Did anyone receive the pool email and was complete after 7/20? That's when they received my letters. I want to know if I am out of the running.

I was complete 8/10 and was placed on the short list today.

Disappointed. :(

Small pooled 8/22
Complete 6/20
35, 3.86/3.61

Excited about this school.

Yay!!!!

Complete 8/12/11
Small Pooled 8/26/11

We made it to the last 25-33% congrats!! I am really excited about this school; it seems like they work really hard to make the students happy.

(note: 25-33% is referencing a previous poster, and I have no way of validating this.)

Good Luck Everyone!

Yay!!!!

Complete 8/12/11
Small Pooled 8/26/11

We made it to the last 25-33% congrats!! I am really excited about this school; it seems like they work really hard to make the students happy.

(note: 25-33% is referencing a previous poster, and I have no way of validating this.)

Good Luck Everyone!

sigh complete 7/6 and still not pooled. should i start losing hope?

Pooled this morning via email! Complete 8/15. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
complete 8/4...still no love from MCW...

These were both the last Wednesdays of August so there is still hope for this coming Wednesday.

I guess not everyone can be pooled. I was complete on 7/20 and not pooled yet.

TheUltimate12, I feel you. I'm IS and was complete 07/15. I was hoping for love at my in-state schools but oh well. There's still UW-Madison....

In State
Complete 8/17
3.53/36S
Small Pooled 8/31

Status
Not open for further replies.