2011-2012 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interview invite on 11/18!

Anybody who has interviewed wanna share what it was like?

Congrats!! Do you know when you were complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
interview invite on 11/18!

Anybody who has interviewed wanna share what it was like?

I recdived 11/18 Intrview invite too. I'm OOS, so I am going to take this early invite as agood sign! :luck::xf:

Anyone interviewing on 11/11/11?

OOS interview invite for 12/9. any other OOSers have this date?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, are you IS? Its only the first time the committee has met since early decision, your application will come back up next time they meet.

Yes, I'm in state. They said that they review on hold applications in mid-April.

Yes, I'm in state. They said that they review on hold applications in mid-April.

I've seen in other previous posts that ON HOLD actually means they review you application every month with the other applications until march/april when they make their wait list. Is this true, or will they actually just put the ON HOLD apps in a box until mid-April?

I sent my application way back in August and they never acknowledge receiving it at all. But then I'm OOS so that explains it lol

got the email ! Accepted along with 4 other of my class mates

I've seen in other previous posts that ON HOLD actually means they review you application every month with the other applications until march/april when they make their wait list. Is this true, or will they actually just put the ON HOLD apps in a box until mid-April?

I have wondered about this too. Anyone have any input?

I thought that they reviewed the apps each admissions meeting, but not entirely sure.

I received my letter of acceptance yesterday! It was a very nerve racking day, but I feel good now knowing that it's done and over with.

To the poster above inquiring about being "On Hold," the way I understood it during interview day was that they have a set score for accepting students. If you fall just below that score, they put you on hold. They will review your application every month and as time progresses the score for acceptance will have to come down in order for them to fill the class. If it comes down enough to the point that your score is above the cut off, you're in.

If you do not make the cut off score once interviewed you are put On Hold. They put your app in the "box" at that point until April unless they decide to change the cut off score. However that does not happen every year, for instance I was told that they had already filled the class last year by January. Then in April people with multiple acceptances must pick where they will go and that opens up more spots. The wait list is then created from the on holds and the first denials are given. Hope this helps

I received my letter of acceptance yesterday! It was a very nerve racking day, but I feel good now knowing that it's done and over with.

To the poster above inquiring about being "On Hold," the way I understood it during interview day was that they have a set score for accepting students. If you fall just below that score, they put you on hold. They will review your application every month and as time progresses the score for acceptance will have to come down in order for them to fill the class. If it comes down enough to the point that your score is above the cut off, you're in.

Did you receive an actual letter or an email? Just curious.

Anyone who's interviewed have any helpful tips?

Did you receive an actual letter or an email? Just curious.

Anyone who's interviewed have any helpful tips?

They send you an email first, usually the day after the ADCOM meets. Then you will receive a letter in the mail.

Would yall recommend submitting the secondary if you are out of state with no ties to the south carolina?

Had my interview today. I feel like it went extremely well. The interviews were really laid-back. Couldn't ask for much more! Now just to wait until the 29th to hear something. :xf:

Had my interview today. I feel like it went extremely well. The interviews were really laid-back. Couldn't ask for much more! Now just to wait until the 29th to hear something. :xf:

Now you've been to both USC & MUSC, right? Impressions of both?

Now you've been to both USC & MUSC, right? Impressions of both?

Honestly, I believe that both schools are great schools and will be able to adequately prepare you for a great career in medicine. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both have their perks as well. I think the ultrasound program that USC is doing is pretty interesting but at the same time, I like the fact that MUSC is a teaching hospital and everything is self-contained. Both schools have an at-will attendance policy which I like as well. I don't believe USC requires you to dress up for class, whereas MUSC requires that you dress professionally (correct me if I'm wrong). I know a few doctors that have graduated from both of these schools and I have nothing but good things to say about each of them. I really believe it boils down to which school do you feel fits your personality the best and which school environment makes you feel the most comfortable. Medical school is going to be very demanding; the last thing you want is to be stressing because you don't feel like you fit in the school where you're at. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. :thumbup:

i agree. I couldn't have phrased it any better. There seems to be strong distinctions that will help you decide between the schools. The relative smaller class size of USC vs the larger one at MUSC. The facility also seemed to be very different to me. USC seemed to have more historic (old school) kinda feel to it whereas I felt that a more urban and "newer" buildings. I think the new curriculum at MUSC seems very interesting and effective. Whereas USC has the ultrasound program. Again just as mentioned above, it ultimately comes down to where you feel like you are going t succeed. I've had friends and physicians that have come from both institutions who are phenomenal. Feel free to PM me any questions because I am also in the process of outweighing the various differences in making my decision at the moment.

I interviewed at USC-SOM on 10/26/11. Does anyone know when I should hear back? I am getting anxious!!

I interviewed at USC-SOM on 10/26/11. Does anyone know when I should hear back? I am getting anxious!!

I'm guessing roughly the 14th-16th of November. I interviewed on the 12th and they told us that it would be a month after that before we heard anything.

Probably should post on the USC specific thread? :confused:

can someone explain the scholarship application? i'm confused about writing down the scholarships that we qualify for... i feel like i qualify for a lot of them haha. and what are they looking for in terms of the optional attach a statement

can someone explain the scholarship application? i'm confused about writing down the scholarships that we qualify for... i feel like i qualify for a lot of them haha. and what are they looking for in terms of the optional attach a statement

I was just wondering Docntrainin, have you got accepted to MUSC?
Congrats if yes.

Congrats man. You've been quiet. :)

Haha sorry! I've just been pretty busy lately. I am thankful for the acceptance, and I wish everyone else the best of luck. If anyone has any information on the scholarship application, please post!

Had my area interview today...went well!

Anybody else interviewing this Friday (11/18)? If so, see you there! Good Luck!

Hopefully tomorrow will be the day. Good luck, everyone. I'm OOS, but I absolutely love MUSC and Charleston. By far one of the most transparent admissions processes ever. If we get put on hold, we know exactly why. Props to mewwwc!

Has anyone gotten an email yet? Also, does anyone know what time they usually do send the email? Thanks.

OOS Hold, received at 11:04 AM.

Three holds... looks like I'm not going to medical school.

Dear Applicants to MUSC COM-

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for the 2012 entering class of the College of Medicine and has placed you on hold. Although you have not been selected for acceptance at this time, your application remains viable and will be reviewed again in mid-March. You will be receiving a letter, at that time, with your final 2012 admission status.

It is still too early in the admission process to determine whether or not you eventually will be admitted into the class. Although we select a limited number of students from out-of-state, there are usually several withdrawals from this group of accepted students. As soon as a position becomes available, we offer that place to a student who is on hold.

Thank you for your patience during this very important ongoing process. I know the waiting is difficult, but unfortunately, there is no way at this time to predict the final outcome of your application. I sincerely hope that we will be able to offer you a position in the 2012 entering class at MUSC.

Same. My email said:

Dear Applicant to MUSC College of Medicine,
I regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee of the College of Medicine at MUSC has reviewed your application and is unable to grant you acceptance at this time. Due to the number and quality of the applications received this year, the Committee felt it best to set a very high cut score for acceptance. It may be that this cut score will be lowered in a few months, but, for now, we must continue interviewing the large pool of applicants that need to be seen between now and the end of March.
The Committee will continue meeting monthly to review applicants. Should the cut score for acceptance drop to your level at any of the monthly meetings, you will be notified immediately. If not, your application will continue to remain on hold. No additional emails will be sent until the end of the process unless your status changes. There is no way to know if, or when, the Admissions Committee will be able to lower the cut score. Please be assured that we will notify you of a final decision as soon as possible.
If you would like to meet and talk about your application, we will be happy to do this when the interviews end next spring. I am sorry, but we are not able to give you advice this early in the process. We ask that you remain patient and let us continue interviewing other applicants (before calling or trying to schedule an appointment). Just remember that your application is still viable and you still have a chance to be admitted later in the cycle.
Thank you for visiting MUSC and meeting members of the Committee, faculty, and student body. I sincerely hope we will be able to offer you a position in our 2012 entering class.

Guess I need to start making other plans...:(

ACCEPTED!

This is seriously supposed to be the happiest day of my life and I just lost my best friend two days ago. So bittersweet!

Accepted! :) I'm 2 for 2 so far. Last year I was not accepted anywhere. If you don't get in this year, don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.