2011-2012 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OOS and submitted my secondary back in September but haven't heard anything since. Should I call or email them? Are OOS people getting interviews yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS and submitted my secondary back in September but haven't heard anything since. Should I call or email them? Are OOS people getting interviews yet?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've called twice: they won't look up my file. They simply say that they are going through the applications, choosing in state/more competitive students before OOS/less competitive. As that is, several OOS people on this thread have already interviewed and have even been accepted.

Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer. :luck:

Accepted! Got the email Wednesday around 11! This was my first interview so I was kinda nervous since it is my top choice, so relieved it went well. Ready to get the official letter in the mail!

Accepted! Got the email Wednesday around 11! This was my first interview so I was kinda nervous since it is my top choice, so relieved it went well. Ready to get the official letter in the mail!

Congrats! I know what you mean about waiting for the official letter!

ACCEPTED!

This is seriously supposed to be the happiest day of my life and I just lost my best friend two days ago. So bittersweet!

Congrats! And sorry about your friend.

Yes, I was accepted! Thank you!

Congrats to you too!

--------------------------------------
So is MUSC ya'lls first choice or do you have other schools pending?

Accepted!!!

Congrats to everyone else too!

Accepted!

IS/Male/Caucasian/First time applicant
Complete: 9/07/11
Interview Invitation: 10/18/11
Interview: 11/11/11
Accepted: 11/30/11

Wofford College Class of 2008
B.S. Business Economics

Congratulations to all those accepted and good luck to those still in the running!

Awesome! Another woco student!!!
I am from wofford 2012! Glad to have another terrier classmate!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea what the index is for accepted students?

Awesome! Another woco student!!!
I am from wofford 2012! Glad to have another terrier classmate!

Excellent! I assume there are other Wofford students who've already been accepted? I'm obviously out of the loop, but would hope so.

I'd like to take the initiative and create a facebook page for everyone, but it would mark my first attempt at such an undertaking and I wouldn't want to disappoint those who are far more competent than myself when it comes to social networks.

So for those accepted, is MUSC your first choice?

I'm 95% confident that I'll be in Charleston come August! Just wanted to see where everyone else stood.

Excellent! I assume there are other Wofford students who've already been accepted? I'm obviously out of the loop, but would hope so.

I'd like to take the initiative and create a facebook page for everyone, but it would mark my first attempt at such an undertaking and I wouldn't want to disappoint those who are far more competent than myself when it comes to social networks.

I know of 7 people as of right now with a few more interviewing. This might be a random question but did you happen to be enrolled in biochem randomly this semester at wofford?

So for those accepted, is MUSC your first choice?

I'm 95% confident that I'll be in Charleston come August! Just wanted to see where everyone else stood.

This is my top choice so I'm right with you on the 95%

I know of 7 people as of right now with a few more interviewing. This might be a random question but did you happen to be enrolled in biochem randomly this semester at wofford?

I audited the course, yes - at least as much as my work schedule would allow. Were you also in that class? I got the impression it was all juniors and a sophomore or two.

I love MUSC! I'm pretty much 85% committed to MUSC.
Same here man. I've actually been apartment hunting online today to try and get an idea of where I want to stay and how much I'll be spending. I really want a 2br/2bath but I dunno if I'll actually end up doing that. I'm not opposed to commuting to school if I were to stay in West Ashley or Mt. P but I don't know anything about parking on site, etc. Any of you have any better idea about this?

nope but someone should do it. So glad to see so many people accepted!

So get to making it already! :thumbup: :cool:

Same here man. I've actually been apartment hunting online today to try and get an idea of where I want to stay and how much I'll be spending. I really want a 2br/2bath but I dunno if I'll actually end up doing that. I'm not opposed to commuting to school if I were to stay in West Ashley or Mt. P but I don't know anything about parking on site, etc. Any of you have any better idea about this?

I think I would like to live as close to the school as possible, I know an M3 that has a place near the school and she says she can walk to campus. I definitely don't want to have to drive and park every day. I'm probably going to talk to her about housing options post holidays!

I think I would like to live as close to the school as possible, I know an M3 that has a place near the school and she says she can walk to campus. I definitely don't want to have to drive and park every day. I'm probably going to talk to her about housing options post holidays!

I totally understand that and guess I should've made it a little more clear. I'd prefer to stay downtown close to the school but if I have to, I would stay elsewhere. Ideally, I'd really like to stay within walking/biking distance if at all possible but I would like to have a 2br/2ba incase friends want to come down one weekend. I just can't justify spending $1800/month for that. :scared: That's why I said I'm not opposed to West Ashley/Mt. P if it comes down to it. Have you decided on a school yet?

I totally understand that and guess I should've made it a little more clear. I'd prefer to stay downtown close to the school but if I have to, I would stay elsewhere. Ideally, I'd really like to stay within walking/biking distance if at all possible but I would like to have a 2br/2ba incase friends want to come down one weekend. I just can't justify spending $1800/month for that. :scared: That's why I said I'm not opposed to West Ashley/Mt. P if it comes down to it. Have you decided on a school yet?

Still waiting to hear back from a few more schools, and figure out some financial aid info. but I have a feeling I'll be here!

I am hoping to stay as close to campus as possible. If i live in west ashley, i have a feeling that i would be less inclined to go back and forth between campus just because of the drive. So regardless of higher cost thats my plan.

I audited the course, yes - at least as much as my work schedule would allow. Were you also in that class? I got the impression it was all juniors and a sophomore or two.

yea i spoke to you about being a sigma nu if you remember lol. and the seniors sat on the opposite end of the room in a cluster.

Living dowtown is expensive, you are looking at 700-800 month per bedroom to get a place near the school, but it is convenient. It does sucks to drive everyday and then sometimes drive back when you want to study or meet up. Also keep in mind if you drive to school in the morning that parking can be a bear, and to rent a good parking spot near the school will run $50-100 per month. Saying all that though I will be living in West Ashley or James Island probably, just because it is Cheaper. Hey but if you want to get a 2bdrm for company/friends thats ballin' dude!

So get to making it already! :thumbup: :cool:

I started a Facebook group "MUSC College of Medicine- class of 2016" but it seems that it does not show up for some people when searched. I have contacted Facebook and hopefully it will get resolved soon. Tell me if you can see it...

I cant see when i search....maybe you made it private?

I cant see when i search....maybe you made it private?

No... It is set as Closed, which means it should still show in search results. I just recreated a new group, same name but without the dash. Hopefully this time it will come out correctly. If it does work I will transfer over everything from the original group.

Did anyone interview 12/2? How many people have they accepted so far? I heard the interviews are really laid back is that true?

Hey but if you want to get a 2bdrm for company/friends thats ballin' dude!

I started a Facebook group "MUSC College of Medicine- class of 2016" but it seems that it does not show up for some people when searched. I have contacted Facebook and hopefully it will get resolved soon. Tell me if you can see it...

Oh trust me, if I end up downtown, I don't have the money for a 2BR, I can assure you of that. They better like sleeping on a fold-out couch! :laugh: I cannot seem to find the facebook group either when I search for it. Very strange!

I just found out they don't give in state tuition for OOS'ers after the first year. Guess I'll be withdrawing my application from here.

Good luck, ya'll. And congratulations to those who have been accepted and are committing here. Seems like a really great school. :) :thumbup:

I just found out they don't give in state tuition for OOS'ers after the first year. Guess I'll be withdrawing my application from here.

Good luck, ya'll. And congratulations to those who have been accepted and are committing here. Seems like a really great school. :) :thumbup:

Yes, they are the only SC school that doesn't do this. That would be a pricey education for you!

No... It is set as Closed, which means it should still show in search results. I just recreated a new group, same name but without the dash. Hopefully this time it will come out correctly. If it does work I will transfer over everything from the original group.

apparently its a bug in their coding thats existed since the new facebook template 2 years ago...anyways a solution is to post the link for the group in the forums and spread it from there.

Yeah it seems you have to start out as in-state but that process usually takes about a year to complete. Sorry bout that, I think this fact will hurt MUSC.

Oh trust me, if I end up downtown, I don't have the money for a 2BR, I can assure you of that. They better like sleeping on a fold-out couch! :laugh:

Lol yeah sounds about right :laugh:

Thanks man. Good luck to you as well! :thumbup:

Sent a request to join the group, btw.

Anyone know of any stats showing the number of people who get accepted when their app is put oh hold (post-interview)?

How long were your guys' personal statements for the secondary application? They give 5 questions that require some explanation to answer thoroughly, and then ask you to write a "brief" essay. Mine is slightly over 1000 words... is that too long?

for the secondaries? i just filled in the space and that was all.

for all of those who love MUSC, are committed there or rank it as your top choice, can you give reasons why it's the best?

I'm trying to determine what makes MUSC the best and find out more about the programs offered there, the community, etc.

also, if you have any insight from current students/alum, i'd love to hear about their experience.

thank you!!!

How long were your guys' personal statements for the secondary application? They give 5 questions that require some explanation to answer thoroughly, and then ask you to write a "brief" essay. Mine is slightly over 1000 words... is that too long?

I just filled in the space on the page, one big long run-on sentence, and wrote the check, but I don't know what to tell you because "essay" can be subjective, where if you felt you could write 1000 words that will probably be fine, as long as it's good material and not just filler; so you should be fine.:thumbup:

Haha I want to join the FB group, but I'm not sure where I'm headed just yet! I creeped on the group though and must say, looks like an impressive group of admitted students so far.

Does anyone have a firm understanding of the grading system at MUSC? I've heard that although the system is H/P/F, class rank is still measured. More specifically, I'm wondering how such a system relates to AOA, residency match, etc.

Probably questions I should have asked at the interview, huh?

from what i read, there is an internal ranking despite H/P/F that they keep. also, I have read that your are mostly evaluated your 3rd year during clinical rotation that play a larger part into residency match. And I believe alot more weight is placed on your board scores.

from what i read, there is an internal ranking despite H/P/F that they keep. also, I have read that your are mostly evaluated your 3rd year during clinical rotation that play a larger part into residency match. And I believe alot more weight is placed on your board scores.

I might be wrong, but I asked this question while on my tour, and the student said there is no internal ranking at all....just H/P/F. Can anyone confirm or deny?

H/P/F. No rank. No quartiles. Either you get honors or you're lumped with every other dummy in your class and might as well not try - which puts even more pressure on step 1. Step 1 is all you have if you don't have grades or ranks.

And correct, you can't get in-state after being there for a year. They expanded class size mostly with out of state admissions and made that rule to raise some more money. God help the 10+% of students who fail out of 1st or even worse 2nd year.

The MSTP program has a fancy facade with those empty new buildings but is crumbling under the heavy and clumsy hand of Pisano. Respected researchers are fleeing (to Stonybrook, etc).

USC Cola will give you a better actual medical education and save you tens of thousands or more. MUSC will cram you full of sensitivity training, cultural competence, and interprofessionalism training, bury you under a bureaucracy, treat you as a guinea pig in their "education" research papers, and neglect the core of our profession - physical diagnosis. It is full of combative faculty personalities trying to make names and research papers for themselves by implementing whatever zany idea they come up with, your education and well-being be damned. Ask the rural SC docs who take trainees from both places. Look around and see how MUSC brags about putting out tons of primary care docs - do you really think it's because they somehow will their students to go into primary care, or is it maybe because their students can't compete?

You probably won't let this dissuade you, it's just something you read on the internet anyway. Heck, it's still Charleston after all, no matter what the school is like. Just ask yourself some hard questions and be ready for what you're getting into.

I have no affiliation with USC-Cola.

Yikes. Where did this come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.