2011-2012 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They meet on the last Tuesday of every month and send our their decisions the following day. So for March of this year, admissions committee will meet on the 27th and email the interviewees on the 28th.

Thanks for the specific info! :) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get rejected twice by MUSC? They sent me one email on the 27th of January and another one today. I was kind of expecting it (OOS, not good GPA) but I didn't really want to get multiple rejections, one was enough. :oops:

Did any OOS applicants get an acceptance yesterday? If so, would you mind posting your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an acceptance yesterday. I am an URM with a 3.96GPA and 32 MCAT. I have strong ties because I go to a SC school for undergrad.

I got an acceptance yesterday. I am an URM with a 3.96GPA and 32 MCAT. I have strong ties because I go to a SC school for undergrad.

Thanks for the response. Nice stats btw.

Signed my lease yesterday! I can't believe that its already February!! :eek:

Hi, I have a quick question. Does anyone know if MuSC allows students to take a year off after M2 or M3 to go for a 1 year MPH?

Hi, I have a quick question. Does anyone know if MuSC allows students to take a year off after M2 or M3 to go for a 1 year MPH?

Yep, not only do we have an MD/MPH program in conjunction with USC School of Public Health, but there was a girl the year ahead of me that did her MPH at Hopkins b/t MS2 & MS3.

Alright, all I need to do is ace this interview in March. Thanks for your help cofcemt!
Yep, not only do we have an MD/MPH program in conjunction with USC School of Public Health, but there was a girl the year ahead of me that did her MPH at Hopkins b/t MS2 & MS3.

Trying to give this thread a bump and also find out if anyone has heard anything about the scholarship committee meeting?

I have not. What exactly is the process for applying for some of these scholarships? From what I understand, if they are need-based scholarships, we have to have the section about our parent's income filled out on FAFSA as well, correct?

I have not. What exactly is the process for applying for some of these scholarships? From what I understand, if they are need-based scholarships, we have to have the section about our parent's income filled out on FAFSA as well, correct?

I don't think the need based ones come out until our loan package does (after tax returns and FAFSA is complete probably late April?). The merit based or recruitment scholarships are supposedly picked during a committee meeting in mid-February. At least that is the impression I got from last years thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually found my apartment through the off-campus housing site. If there are any females looking for a place, I have a friend starting dental school in may that needs a roommate. Her place is a block from school.

That is correct. I called Ms. Taylor a month or so back and she said they would meet in mid-February. The paperwork for the other scholarships is due April 1 if my memory serves me right.

Can anyone comment on the block format of exams that MUSC uses? Also, what does the school do to help students prepare for the USMLE Step 1? Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the block format of exams that MUSC uses? Also, what does the school do to help students prepare for the USMLE Step 1? Thanks!

I always thought block exams are nice. You finish a block in about 8 weeks and then have a week off to prepare for the exam, which is about 7 hours long with all topics intermingled. One of my friends that attends USC SOM said she would have rathered block exams over their way of basically having to ignore all other subjects for a few days before a biochem exam, then try to play catch up for the physiology exam the next week. To each's own.

However, I do not feel like MUSC teaches to the step 1 at all. Many topics which you cover are not even on step 1 (ie. cancer drugs). They do however offer multiple practice exams, tips, and a study schedule that is modified for you based on the practice exam. I would caution though, studying for step 1 should be your main priority as a 2nd yr and you should basically ignore things that are taught that are covered, but not on the step exam, since grades are pass/fail.

I always thought block exams are nice. You finish a block in about 8 weeks and then have a week off to prepare for the exam, which is about 7 hours long with all topics intermingled. One of my friends that attends USC SOM said she would have rathered block exams over their way of basically having to ignore all other subjects for a few days before a biochem exam, then try to play catch up for the physiology exam the next week. To each's own.

However, I do not feel like MUSC teaches to the step 1 at all. Many topics which you cover are not even on step 1 (ie. cancer drugs). They do however offer multiple practice exams, tips, and a study schedule that is modified for you based on the practice exam. I would caution though, studying for step 1 should be your main priority as a 2nd yr and you should basically ignore things that are taught that are covered, but not on the step exam, since grades are pass/fail.

Thanks for the info! I kind of like the idea of a block schedule, although it might lead to some procrastination haha.

Thanks man!

Hoping a current student can help me out -- I was just thinking more about the block exams at MUSC. Is there only one block exam per semester? If you do badly on this one exam, do you have a chance to make up for it? How does having the one block exam affect the weekend/social dynamics at MUSC? Do students have time to go out and enjoy what Charleston has to offer? I'm just trying to figure out if the block exams are somewhat daunting for students... THANKS!

Hoping a current student can help me out -- I was just thinking more about the block exams at MUSC. Is there only one block exam per semester? If you do badly on this one exam, do you have a chance to make up for it? How does having the one block exam affect the weekend/social dynamics at MUSC? Do students have time to go out and enjoy what Charleston has to offer? I'm just trying to figure out if the block exams are somewhat daunting for students... THANKS!

This may help-
http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/com/current/yr1/calendar_yr1.htm
From what I understand most people wont go out during the study week before each exam but everyone makes up for it on Fri and Sat night after the exam.

Is the Clinical Science building where one meets in the morning for the interview connected to the main hospital right off of Jonathon Lucas St. Also what is the best place to park?

thanks

The room you meet in is actually in the main hospital itself -- sixth floor if I remember correctly.

Is the Clinical Science building where one meets in the morning for the interview connected to the main hospital right off of Jonathon Lucas St. Also what is the best place to park?

thanks

http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/oipsm/forms/campusmap.pdf

If you look at that map, it's listed as clinical sciences building. As mentioned, sixth floor. I actually parked right across the street in the garage across from CSB and Hollings. Which way are you coming in to Charleston? If from I26 in Cola, get on Hwy 17. You come up to a Hardees & Wendys on your left. Take a left there on to Courtenay Dr and go to the third light at Doughty St. As you're coming up to Jonathan Lucas from Doughty, the entrance for the parking garage will be on your right.

Does anyone happen to know approximately how many students get accepted in April from the "on hold" list.
Thanks!

When are we supposed to hear about recruitment scholarships? I thought it was late February to early March.

Anyone else having trouble getting into touch with Wanda? I don't know whether its my emails or just a common thing.

Not sure, but it might be that it is match week next week, with all hands on deck in the deans office preparing for anyone that needs to scramble. I would give it a few more days.

To a current student:

What's the deal with attendance? I'm sure the smaller groups and labs are mandatory, but what about lectures?

Also, are lectures recorded and posted online or anything convenient like that? I know most med schools seem to offer that, but I haven't heard about MUSC.

To a current student:

What's the deal with attendance? I'm sure the smaller groups and labs are mandatory, but what about lectures?

Also, are lectures recorded and posted online or anything convenient like that? I know most med schools seem to offer that, but I haven't heard about MUSC.

General lecture attendance is optional (& as you guesse it, all else is mandatory) and all lectures are recorded via a program called tegrety. They are accessible via online and you can get them to download via iTunes as well to listen to on the iPhone, etc.

Can anyone comment on the laptop situation at MUSC? I thought that I heard someone say all tests were taken on the students' personal laptops. Are said laptops provided by the school (included in tuition cost)? If not, is a mac compatible?

Who else is about to have an interview this Friday?

All first and second years take tests in rooms at the library on Mac Desktops.

I wonder how many spots are open for admission. I have to wait another week or two weeks at most. I wish they set a date lol

I am wondering if any current students can comment on what the 3rd and 4th year are like? Is it mostly shadowing or are medical students involved in the care of patients? Lots of scut work? Thanks!

I am wondering if any current students can comment on what the 3rd and 4th year are like? Is it mostly shadowing or are medical students involved in the care of patients? Lots of scut work? Thanks!

3rd/4th yr everywhere is graduated involvement in pt care. The more you want to do, the more they let you. I've never been "scut'd out" in my 4 years except when I was on CT surg. Any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Does anyone happen to know approximately how many students get accepted in April from the "on hold" list.
Thanks!

It's tough to say as the number varies from year to year. It all depends on how many spots are open at the end of the interview season. Most likely, your chances of getting in in mid-April are not great. BUT, if you make it to the wait list (which they announce in mid-April), you have a really good chance of getting in. As people who were accepted give up their seats and commit to other schools, many more spots in the class will open up. Good luck!

Actually they do accept students throughout the summer from the wait list. I got accepted 3 weeks before classes started in August and know 2 other people that got accepted even later - one on the day of Orientation.

Just got a rejection notice, though I thought I wouldn't hear the final word until April. Oh well, guess I'm not gonna be in Charleston this fall.

Anyone else having trouble getting into touch with Wanda? I don't know whether its my emails or just a common thing.

Did anyone ever hear anything from Wanda regarding scholarships? I don't want to harass her if it's not necessary...

I interviewed in December and was put on hold. They must have decided on their waiting list earlier than they did last year.

After my interview in mid march, got the initial rejection last Wednesday, but they said they will figure out the wait list by last Friday and email everyone their fate: either rejection or wait-list. I didn't get the email last week, but maybe adcom meant this friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.