2011-2012 Michigan State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?

Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?

Best of luck on your application! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Michigan State University and the University of Michigan are different schools. I'm just sayin...

Whoa... yeah. This should be corrected.

University of Michigan Secondary has been sent out. I haven't heard about Michigan States secondary yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Just received this secondary.

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? (1/1900 characters)

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. (1/1900 characters)

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1/1900 characters)

How long does it take between creating the AIS login and getting the username and password? I've already paid and followed the instructions, but still haev not gotten an email regarding my login information.

How long does it take between creating the AIS login and getting the username and password? I've already paid and followed the instructions, but still haev not gotten an email regarding my login information.

You have to create an account on their system. The link should be on the payment confirmation page.

Hoping I get an interview here (still have to do my secondary when my AMCAS is verified :p). I absolutely love, love, love the U.P. of Michigan (that's where my parents are from), and would love to do the Rural med route up in Marquette. If anyone wants to see an absolutely gorgeous place...check out the UP during the summer/early fall (before winter starts lol)

MSU secondary submitted!

Pretty interested in Michigan.

i might be OOS but hopefully theyll give me a 2nd look cuz i attended UG at MSU GO SPARTANS!

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 here at MSU CHM
remember that MSU CHM takes their time and interviews late into March - ALL interview dates have open spots in the class so no matter when you interview you have a fightin' chance at a spot
and.....
very agressive alternate list activity! as high as 50% accepted off of alt. list

good luck to all -

MS1 here at MSU CHM
remember that MSU CHM takes their time and interviews late into March - ALL interview dates have open spots in the class so no matter when you interview you have a fightin' chance at a spot
and.....
very agressive alternate list activity! as high as 50% accepted off of alt. list

good luck to all -

thank you!

MSU I'm for you! (corny i know :p )

My status is a big string of error messages. Que???

MS1 here at MSU CHM
and.....

good luck to all -
I can attest to this. Definitely sit tight and enjoy the (bumpy) ride. :)

Edit: Take a look at this while you wait: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE3BgR8H6uQ&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
The admissions website states that applicants must have a bachelor's degree in order to be eligible to apply. Does this mean that we must have already obtained our bachelor's degree at the time of application, or do we just need to get it prior to matriculation? I am about to enter my 4th year and plan on obtaining my bachelor's degree in June 2012, prior to matriculation...can I apply this cycle?

I am worried because I called the Office Admissions and the person who answered the phone said that we must have already obtained our bachelor's degree at the time of application. However, doesn't this mean that only applicants who have graduated from their undergraduate institution can apply? What happens to all the other applicants that are 3rd years? :confused::confused:

The admissions website states that applicants must have a bachelor's degree in order to be eligible to apply. Does this mean that we must have already obtained our bachelor's degree at the time of application, or do we just need to get it prior to matriculation? I am about to enter my 4th year and plan on obtaining my bachelor's degree in June 2012, prior to matriculation...can I apply this cycle?

I am worried because I called the Office Admissions and the person who answered the phone said that we must have already obtained our bachelor's degree at the time of application. However, doesn't this mean that only applicants who have graduated from their undergraduate institution can apply? What happens to all the other applicants that are 3rd years? :confused::confused:
It means that you must have acquired a bachelor's degree by August 2012 (the year you would be matriculating), so yes, you can apply this cycle.

If someone in the office of admissions really said that, then they have no idea what they are talking about lol.

Hey Everyone!

I haven't received MSU CHM's secondary yet, but I'd like to start the application right away. Just to confirm, there is a 1900 character limit per question? Thanks :)

Yes, 1900 characters for each question.

Would the "anything else you would like to tell the adcom" question be an appropriate place to explain why it took me 3 weeks rather than less than 2 to return my secondary.

I have a very intensive clinically related summer job that involves work 6-7 days per week. We travel as a group and often have no internet access for the whole time we are away. This week has been my first stretch of more than 24 hours off in the past 3 weeks. I will be careful not to sound complain-y, because I really do love my job. I just haven't had the time I needed for secondaries.

I also plan on commenting on my interest in primary care and staying in Michigan for med school.

Yes, 1900 characters for each question.

Would the "anything else you would like to tell the adcom" question be an appropriate place to explain why it took me 3 weeks rather than less than 2 to return my secondary.

I have a very intensive clinically related summer job that involves work 6-7 days per week. We travel as a group and often have no internet access for the whole time we are away. This week has been my first stretch of more than 24 hours off in the past 3 weeks. I will be careful not to sound complain-y, because I really do love my job. I just haven't had the time I needed for secondaries.

I also plan on commenting on my interest in primary care and staying in Michigan for med school.
To put it simply, no. The two weeks to return your secondary is more of a recommendation than a strict requirement. Use the space to describe an aspect of you as an applicant that has not been extensively discussed in your PS or activities. Your second idea sounds more promising, IMO.

Is anyone else's CHM applicant information service not working??

Mine has some weird error message...

Notice: Undefined index: appinfo in C:\apache\htdocs\mdadmissions\aplocal\applicants\check_status.php on line 61

Fatal error: Call to a member function displayApplicantInfo() on a non-object in C:\apache\htdocs\mdadmissions\aplocal\applicants\check_status.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined index: appinfo in C:\apache\htdocs\mdadmissions\aplocal\applicants\check_status.php on line 61

Fatal error: Call to a member function displayApplicantInfo() on a non-object in C:\apache\htdocs\mdadmissions\aplocal\applicants\check_status.php on line 65

mine is fine. maybe this is a pre-interview thingy (like for baylor)?

I had that for a few days a week or so ago. It went back to normal recently.

It stills feels crazy good to say this, but I will be starting at the Grand Rapids campus in two weeks. I'm definitely appreciating my free time now because once school starts I will have very little of it. Anyways, I love MSU and am so excited to become a physician here. I'm willing to answer any questions you guys may have! Once classes actually start I'm sure I will be able to provide more feedback. Good luck!

It stills feels crazy good to say this, but I will be starting at the Grand Rapids campus in two weeks. I'm definitely appreciating my free time now because once school starts I will have very little of it. Anyways, I love MSU and am so excited to become a physician here. I'm willing to answer any questions you guys may have! Once classes actually start I'm sure I will be able to provide more feedback. Good luck!
was grand rapids ur first pick?

was grand rapids ur first pick?

Yep. If you ever have the chance to visit the Secchia Center in Grand Rapids then you will understand why.

http://news.msu.edu/media/photo/2011/04/fcccd20a-5519-4bb1-a5b5-e5d17d7e12b1.jpg

The new campus in Grand Rapids sits right on what is known as "medical mile." This consists of the Van Andel Research Insititute, Butterworth Hospital, the Meijer Heart Center, the brand new Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, the Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion, and the GVSU Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences. Many of these places are connected. In fact, from my apartment it is just as fast to get to the Secchia Center by walking through about half of these buildings than it is walking outside (a little more than 5 minutes).

I was originally placed at East Lansing, but I placed myself on the wait list for Grand Rapids and was re-assigned.

Just received this secondary.

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? (1/1900 characters)

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. (1/1900 characters)

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1/1900 characters)

Did anybody use different aspects of the same experience for questions 1 and 2?

Did anybody use different aspects of the same experience for questions 1 and 2?

I didn't use the same experience, but after re-reading my answers I realized that they could have easily been interchangable and both of them answered both the questions.

I am also getting an error on my application status, have no idea what it means but I figured I would post the error in hopes that someone else has an idea. I'm trying not to get my hopes up after Schizotypy's post.

Submitting my MSU Secondary tonight...so nervous...this whole application process is absolute insanity, FYI. Communications as a major is looking better and better, haha ;)

Did anyone consider the RPP and do the two optional essays?

Do you guys know how early they start interviewing? I'm flying out to Michigan to interview at Oakland (from CA) and as this application cycle has left me dead broke, I would love to interview here around the same time if they're thinking about giving me an interview (I've been complete since 07/14). I've heard of people calling schools and explaining similar situations, but I would hate to sound as if I expect an interview...

Do you guys know how early they start interviewing? I'm flying out to Michigan to interview at Oakland (from CA) and as this application cycle has left me dead broke, I would love to interview here around the same time if they're thinking about giving me an interview (I've been complete since 07/14). I've heard of people calling schools and explaining similar situations, but I would hate to sound as if I expect an interview...

I don't know about MSU specifically, but I have heard of people sending "in-the-area" emails and explaining their situations. I might recommend this if you are a pretty competitive applicant, i.e. stats around or above MSU's average. I don't think it could hurt, especially if you express a lot of interest in the school. Oakland is about 1.5/2 hour drive from East Lansing and about 2.5/3 hour drive from Grand Rapids, just fyi.

Good luck =)

really hard to wait for any sort of update from MSU, really hoping for an invite here.

MSU CHM uses students in the interview process, classes start 8/29 so I would presume some time in Sept as they offer incoming block I students the chance to get involved- good luck to all

I didn't pay my fee within two weeks... :( I realize they said my application *may* be withdrawn. How do I know if this actually happens? I contacted the adcom... no reply yet.

hey can anyone elaborate on the topic of "personally rewarding experience"? What if you saw something interesting that you briefly touched upon in your personal statement? Does it have to be something you did, like giving blood, or can you see something during a clinical experience?

hey can anyone elaborate on the topic of "personally rewarding experience"? What if you saw something interesting that you briefly touched upon in your personal statement? Does it have to be something you did, like giving blood, or can you see something during a clinical experience?

I used a shadowing experience. I was able to talk in detail about why it was personally rewarding for me. They don't say something you did that was rewarding so if you can elaborate on why it was rewarding I think you should e fine.

I should say though. I am just a hopeful just like you.

Last edited:
The prompt is vague enough so you can include experiences you didn't "physically" do, IMO. It all depends on how effectively you describe said experience and how it was rewarding to "you."

I didn't pay my fee within two weeks... :( I realize they said my application *may* be withdrawn. How do I know if this actually happens? I contacted the adcom... no reply yet.

o ****!! i forgot to pay also, let me know what happens..

Status
Not open for further replies.