2011-2012 Morehouse Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did you guys receive an actual complete email after they received your photo and application?

Nope. You just log on to the site to see "confirmed! DATE & TIME".
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i keep on getting an "Internal Server Error".. jeez

How do they notify you if you received an interview? by phone, email, letter? and also how do they notify you if u didnt? or do they just not say anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they notify you if you received an interview? by phone, email, letter? and also how do they notify you if u didnt? or do they just not say anything?

They email, mail you and call you (All 3 ways)

Any students willing to host me for my interview on sept 30th? I would really appreciate it.

It took a month for AMCAS to process my application, after submitting it in early August, I just got the email about it being processed on Monday...does anyone know how long it takes before MOREHOUSE sends a secondary application? And do they screen out?

It took a month for AMCAS to process my application, after submitting it in early August, I just got the email about it being processed on Monday...does anyone know how long it takes before MOREHOUSE sends a secondary application? And do they screen out?

My AMCAS was complete 9/2 and I received the secondary invite to MSM on 9/9, hope that helps!

Yes MSM screens before secondary

So did you guys mail out the picture form? Or email a scanned copy?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just interviewed today wow the people here are extremely friendly and the interviews were very laid back. I wish everyone the best of luck!!

^^Congratulations on your interview!!

Hi everyone! I'm dropping in to say hello! I'm hoping to get accepted to Morehouse for the 2012 entering class.

Does anyone know how many people apply to Morehouse each year, the number that are invited to inteview, etc.

I just received an email from Emory which states that the program expects to receive 6,000 applications for the incoming class. :eek:

I have an interview coming up. What is the chances of getting in when u have an interview. I know they screen for secondary and for interview so the chances of getting in if ur at the interview stage should be great. maybe 50/50. any know? Also if youve interviewed already I would love to know exactly how it was, what did u do, who did u meet, how long it took, what questions did they ask and so forth ... I got an interview coming up

last year 205 interviews and 57 acceptances...so closer to 25%

Was it 57 acceptance or 57 matriculants? I would guess matriculants or else we are saying that everybody that received an acceptance actually matriculated and that is highly unlikely (but not impossible). If it was matriculated then it would increase that percentage.

Can someone tell me what a typical week is like as far as schedule? Are classes mandatory? Are they streamed live online or available as recorded lectures? What are the hours? etc?

Was it 57 acceptance or 57 matriculants? I would guess matriculants or else we are saying that everybody that received an acceptance actually matriculated and that is highly unlikely (but not impossible). If it was matriculated then it would increase that percentage.

Can someone tell me what a typical week is like as far as schedule? Are classes mandatory? Are they streamed live online or available as recorded lectures? What are the hours? etc?

Those are 57 matriculants NOT acceptances. The acceptances are usually close to 150, the classes for 2012 will be increased to almost 65. I attended one of the classes during my interview and they are NOT mandatory, they are not streamed or recorded. So in an essence if you don't come to class you're screwed even though attendance is not mandatory as I stated before. Usually post interview you have close to a 40 % chance of getting accepted. That's all I can share for right now. Good luck

Those are 57 matriculants NOT acceptances. The acceptances are usually close to 150, the classes for 2012 will be increased to almost 65. I attended one of the classes during my interview and they are NOT mandatory, they are not streamed or recorded. So in an essence if you don't come to class you're screwed even though attendance is not mandatory as I stated before. Usually post interview you have close to a 40 % chance of getting accepted. That's all I can share for right now. Good luck

I figured as much. Thanks!

Sorry poor word choice....

I hate I submitted two weeks ago. I didnt realize it would take AMCAS a month to verify. What is the curriculum year like for 1st year students? To those who've already interviewed, any information you found to be shocking during your interview?

I hate I submitted two weeks ago. I didnt realize it would take AMCAS a month to verify. What is the curriculum year like for 1st year students? To those who've already interviewed, any information you found to be shocking during your interview?

The 1st year starts with a summer component which consists of Biochemistry, Genetics and other classes. Therefore, the semester starts in July ( I believe 5-6 weeks before traditional medical schools). The entire first year curriculum extends over ten and one/half months. The summer component (decelerated program) in an essence is there to help students "find themselves" and strengthen them for the boards. Morehouse had a 100 % board passing rate last year with average scores I believe around the 220 mark which is pretty damn impressive. First year Courses to be exact are:- Human Morphology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Physiology, Community health (The Community health course minimizes lectures and is the bread and butter of Morehouse, relying primarily on a format of assigning students to small interdisciplinary groups that pursue health promotion activities in inner city communities in Atlanta ).
Fundamentals of medicine 1 (This course is a unique Clinical Preceptorship : For most students, the Preceptorship Program is a student's first exposure to
patient care. This experience allows students to view the practice of medicine and the healthcare system through the eyes of both the physician and the patient.) Human Values, Biostatistics/Epidemiology and finally Human behavior ( This unique course covers the human life
cycle from birth to death, with a focus on normality
and adaptive behavior).
During my interview there wasn't much that was shocking other than the fact that the campus is pretty small. However, I think that could be a great thing because in the end it's less distraction and more focus on education. I was a little shocked about the friendliness of the students. You know usually you might hear at other schools that students are happy and supportive but Morehouse students take it to the other level. They were an extremely happy bunch that were begging the staff to meet the interviewees, they would bring in food, give advise for the interview and continue to say wonderful things about the school. I did not see a single person that was not happy, seriously not even one person!

I have an interview coming up on the 30th of sep, any idea when I would here back from them? does it take over a week?

I applied EDP and got an interview on Sept 30th :soexcited: but according to AMCAS, final decision notifications for EDP applicants would be sent by Oct 1st...a day after my interview :eek::scared:
Does anyone have an idea of how Morehouse handles it EDP applicants??????

Just got an interview invite by e-mail for 10/14! Super excited.

Here's my stats:
In State, 3.3 GPA, 38Q MCAT

Can't wait! Super convenient too since I live 15 minutes away :)

Yeah!!!!!!!! I'm so happy, just got screen in for a secondary for Morehouse. I know, my appl is late, but so happy :love::love::love:

Just got my interview invite for 10/14! However, I only got it via mail, not via email so that makes me kind of nervous for some reason. Super excited though.

Just submitted my online secondary application today, going to mail out the photo form tomorrow, Is there anything else that needs to be mailed ???

Kinda late in the cycle, I wish there was enough room in the class of 2016 for all of us !

Just got my interview invite for 10/14! However, I only got it via mail, not via email so that makes me kind of nervous for some reason. Super excited though.

Congrats! I would contact admissions to make sure they have an email address for you, since email is their primary form of communication regarding the interview or any updates they may have for you.

Good luck! :luck:

They are thinking about starting to record but this is nor for sure yet. They do post all lecture slides online so many people pick and choose what lectures to come to based on who is a good lecturer and who just reads off the slides (if the person just reads what is posted no one really goes). There are some required classes (the touchy feeley ones like community health and clinical preceptorship) but many are not. There are several pepole who never go to class except when required but many people feel they have to or they will miss what the instructor thinks is important.

Quick question. Does someone mind telling me hw long their why morehouse essay was? I have about 300wrds but I feel like its too short......
Just wanted a general idea. Thanks

Quick question. Does someone mind telling me hw long their why morehouse essay was? I have about 300wrds but I feel like its too short......

250 words for me. I said everything I needed to say.

Finally got an II, 10/28 :)

Hey everyone...congrats on the interviews...does anyone know how this school views multiple MCAT scores? best subsection? best sitting? thanks!

I would say best sitting. I don't know many schools that take the best subsection, since it can be due to luck, etc. I recently had an interview there and I took the mcat twice, but my scores were pretty similar, so they didn't really question me about it. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Hey everyone...congrats on the interviews...does anyone know how this school views multiple MCAT scores? best subsection? best sitting? thanks!

Care to share the experience? About how long was the actual interview? Was it in front of a committee, or just one interviewer? Were you interviewed individually or in groups??

Just got an invite! Super excited!!

Care to share the experience? About how long was the actual interview? Was it in front of a committee, or just one interviewer? Were you interviewed individually or in groups??

Just got an invite! Super excited!!

The interview was longer than I expected. We were supposed to get there around 9am and they sent us to sit in on a med school class for about an hr. They came and brought us to a boardroom and called our names for interviews. It was 1on1 open file. After we were done, we came back to boardroom and waited for everyone. After that they brought lunch and there was a presentation. Then 2nd yr students gave us a tour of the campus and after that we had our second 1on1 interview. Lastly, they took us to grady (hospital) and after the tour the day was over. I think we got out at 4pm. Interviews weren't very stressful and everyone seemed pretty nice.

My essay was about 450words

Interviewed here on Friday (Oct 14), just wanted to post my feedback.

This was actually the most intimidating of my three interviews so far. The school is VERY mission-focused, as I'm sure you already know, and the interviews are mainly concerned with assessing your dedication to Morehouse's mission.

The format of the interviews was two faculty interviewers, one hour each. There is a short lunch between the interviews, and a tour of Grady afterwards.

Good luck! This is a great school in a great city, and it feeds right into one of the most intense trauma, ER, and OB/GYN hospitals in the Southeast.

Any early October applicants received an interview yet ? or an interview before Christmas?

Any early October applicants received an interview yet ? or an interview before Christmas?
I submitted on October 1, confirmed on the 4th, and I'm still waiting to hear any news. When did you submit?

Status
Not open for further replies.